Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2020 Thread

Load Metric
    Thanks, Grenade.... I am tidying up before the season begins.

Toronto is still homeless.

If someone wants to invest the energy I think there are going to be historic edges to be had. Just wild stuff.

For instance: No listed pitchers this year. Everything is action. That is huge. Live is always tethered to preflop action and there should be big opportunity in a game if an a illness or surprise develops.

I hope I have the time.

Chef P & the Mets lost. Stupid soccer luck. I had a good day when I wasn’t expecting one.

Load Metric
    https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/w...s-2020-season/

I read this today and believe its relevant here.

Home Field in Bases never meant anything but the Pirate fans def shook Cueto in that wildcard game.

Last edited by badguy23; 07-18-2020 at 06:44 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by badguy23 View Post

Home Field in Bases never meant anything but the Pirate fans def shook Cueto in that wildcard game. \
    Was sweating the Yankees and the fake crowd noise was giving me a headache. Maybe it was the studio got the crowd feed mix wrong.

Badguy, If Jays did stay in Toronto ... think about the process of arriving. No going out for coffee or a walk. No groupies if you’re 23. YOU WOULD BE TREATED LIKE THE APOLLO 11 ASTRONAUTS when they came back from the moon. That is gonna wear on you if you play every damn day like they will.

West Coast AL vs West Coast NL is gonna have massive travel when East coast doesn’t

That study might not apply so much this year. We will see. Shit is gonna change. How about Los Angeles. Lock down could get tougher, Keep your guard up.

The White Sox Luis Roberts kid for AL ROY @ +250. It’s hard not to lose your mind watching him. I just couldn’t fire. Am I weak?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by badguy23 View Post

Home Field in Bases never meant anything but the Pirate fans def shook Cueto in that wildcard game. \
    Was sweating the Yankees and the fake crowd noise was giving me a headache. Maybe it was the studio got the crowd feed mix wrong.

Badguy, If Jays did stay in Toronto ... think about the process of arriving. No going out for coffee or a walk. No groupies if you’re 23. YOU WOULD BE TREATED LIKE THE APOLLO 11 ASTRONAUTS when they came back from the moon.

That study might not apply so much this year. We will see. Shit is gonna change. How about Los Angeles. Lock down could get tougher, Keep your guard up.

The White Sox Luis Roberts kid for AL ROY @ +250. It’s hard not to lose your mind watching him. I just couldn’t fire. Am I weak?
    I agree with everything you are saying just look at soccer today! I def think the home teams will have some sort of advantage in these games for what you just said about Toronto. Its gonna be like that for all road teams being locked in at a hotel.. Ill be pranking the hotels to fuck with the away team when I bet against them. Im very excited for this to start but im gonna trend lightly for the first 4 games of Opening Day then the gloves r coming off. LOL

Comments

Sanlmar: Hurt em

Load Metric
    I didn’t notice a live ball... yet

I was sure those shenanigans would be there to save ratings.

My MLB package didn’t work. Gonna have to get some customer service kid fired tomorrow. I didn’t have it in me today.

Gonna be fun as shit.

Soon we will be on overload with all the other sports and all the issues. NBA ... saw Clippers -1 vs Lakers. See the shit we gotta deal with? I held off. Simp would be proud.

Load Metric
    Yanks (Cole) v Nats (Scherzer)

Scherzer looked fugly in his last outing. Terrible. But wait.

Prohibition baseball: Inside the biggest All-Star Game no one watched
    The Athletic

Some players like Dodgers Buehler aren’t ready cause they didn’t work out during corona. In contrast, Scherzer quarantines with a catcher and works out at Cressey Palm Beach. Phone calls are made and before you know it players are in their cars driving to Florida. Full blown all star games are being played at a high school field.

Just plain god. Like the old Rucker league playground basketball games in NYC.

I actually don’t have an Athletic subscription. I’ll sign up for the trial and never cancel. You know the drill. Would be grateful if someone post the text.

Baseball Tonight Podcast talked about it too. 30:00 mark in podcast.

My kid worked out at Cressey in Mass. MLB players would travel to Mass just to work out there. Eric Cressey was a tennis player who wrecked his arm and got into physical therapy and performance training. Magical place.

I still took Yankees but I’ll be quick with a live bet after a few pitches. Scherzer is an animal. I wish there wasn’t the fake crowd noise. I want to hear Scherzer swearing and grunting while he pitches.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 07-21-2020 at 04:59 PM.

Load Metric
    Luke

Jackson had nowhere to throw when baseball shut down. So, the Atlanta Braves right-hander got desperate, watched some YouTube videos, and built a makeshift mound. He was throwing alone in his driveway in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. when he got the fateful text.

“Hey, if you ever need to throw live,” said Eric Cressey, who Jackson has known and trained with since 2011, “we are having a small group of guys here.”

Jackson immediately hopped in the car and drove to Palm Beach, which houses one of two Cressey Sports Performance gyms. With most of the country shut down, it was a quick 90-minute commute. Jackson wasn’t sure what to expect. What he found was a who’s who of Major League stars.

A group that included Justin Verlander, Max Scherzer, Corey Kluber, Paul Goldschmidt, Giancarlo Stanton and more than 30 other big leaguers had quietly been working together – from a safe distance. They formed a secret baseball group while playing at Palm Beach Gardens High School.

There were no known cases of the virus among players at Cressey’s gyms.

“The health and safety part was hard. We had to have really small groups, use all 10,000 square feet of the facility,” Cressey said. “But the security aspect of it was probably even more challenging, to be discreet and give these guys an element of privacy. Guys were saying it was like ‘Fight Club’ or Prohibition baseball.”

“If people knew what we were doing, we would have had 10,000 people at Palm Beach Gardens High School to watch us.”

The group started organically. With the abrupt end to spring training and uncertainty about a possible restart, a lot of players already in the Jupiter/Palm Beach area stuck around. As COVID-19 became more of a long-term concern, guys who lived in Florida year-round let Arizona rentals lapse and returned home.

Logan Morrison, who signed with the Milwaukee Brewers this winter, hadn’t seen live pitching for six weeks when he got to Cressey’s. Then he faced Kluber and Scherzer back-to-back days.

Verlander approached Morrison on another. Would he mind standing in and giving him feedback on his slider? Verlander was still searching for the feel.

“I get goosebumps just talking about it,” Morrison said. “When someone asks you to help them out with something, and you’re thinking they’re on another level from you. It’s pretty cool. At the end of the day, everyone wants to beat everybody, but they want to beat you at your best. So guys were helping each other out.”

It was the best of both worlds: a talented group of big leaguers in a setting where the outcome didn’t matter.

“How often do you get competitive at-bats with feedback?” Orioles reliever Richard Bleier said. “Goldy told me stuff I never thought of before, and I’ve been pitching for 13 years. That’s stuff you can’t get throwing bullpens.”

Goldschmidt played first base in both of the nine-inning games Cressey and his wife, Anna, organized in the final week of June. The first one at Palm Beach Gardens High School was started by New York Mets teammates Rob Gsellman and Michael Wacha. There were rules for safety, including no sliding and distancing as much as possible. But it was no boring spring showdown. There were pitching battles, several home runs and plenty of good-natured trash talking. The group went through 56 balls in that first game, giving Cressey a crash-course on baseball expenses.

A post shared by on

https://instagram.com/p/CB1v_l3gN-H/

“Most of these big-league guys are used to throwing with brand new pearls every time, and you are looking at 200 bucks a dozen,” he said, laughing. “Every foul ball, it stings a little bit.”

Cressey, who was hired this winter by the Yankees to oversee their training and strength/conditioning departments, said there wasn’t much talk about keeping everything quiet. Guys understood when catch sessions morphed into live bullpens and games. But it doesn’t mean they didn’t give him a hard time for it.

Bleier kept begging for things to go on YouTube, even showing one of his live BP sessions during a takeover of the Orioles Instagram. Thank God, he was teased, no one paid attention to Bleier’s social media efforts.

Still, his instincts weren’t wrong. Imagine a game of big leaguers mic’ed up, in a casual setting? At a time when much of the country was under lockdown?

“You want to see Scherzer and Goldschmidt or Stanton go head-to-head?” Jackson said. “And hear them go back and forth? People are going to pay to go to a high school field for that.”

When Jackson first got there, he was stunned. Not only were all these big leaguers cycling in and out, but there were also another 30 to 40 minor leaguers — even some new draftees – spread out and working in small groups. Cressey, along with pitching coordinators Brian Kaplan and Mark Lowy and on-field coordinator Max Rios, communicated daily with town officials to make sure they were following the proper protocols. Bullpen schedules were organized in waves by service time. There would be guys who had five to six years in the big leagues throwing ninth.

There are “just guys” and then there are “full-on dudes,” as Cressey puts it. And they had a team full of dudes.

“We had a real roster that could beat other pro teams. It’s like, so for the All-Star Game this year, we are just going back to Cressey’s?” Jackson said, laughing. “I would live there if I could.”

As the labor fight between the league and players raged on, the group camaraderie grew even stronger. Morrison estimates it was a mix of about eight percent COVID-19 and 92 percent the owners that united the group. Scherzer, a union rep, would often field questions while throwing. The Nationals ace, who had his own personal quarantine catcher in Baltimore’s Bryan Holaday, was a frequent fixture in the live batting practices but didn’t pitch in either of the final week games.

“I didn’t get out there as much as I’d like,” said Scherzer, who is well known for his mammoth early-spring bullpens and work ethic. “This is what you have to do when you’re trying to stay as sharp as possible while we were waiting for baseball to start.”

One early morning, Bleier saw Scherzer and Verlander throwing next to each other and thought, “That’s a lot of money on those mounds.”

Jackson’s first live batter was Goldschmidt, who homered off him during a National League Division Series that ended the Braves season. Remembering the moment this week, he feigns disgust for a second, then laughs.

One day, the bizarreness finally hit Cressey. There was NFL punter Matt Bosher kicking on the 80-yard turf, over Verlander’s head. Colts quarterback Jacoby Brissett was throwing routes, while Scherzer was doing some live BP in the corner. Mets pitcher Noah Syndergaard had already been in and out doing rehab.

“I looked around and was like, is this for real, or is this some sports fantasy team?” Cressey said. “It’s hilarious. It was one of those things that came about by necessity.”

It’s the greatest live BPs and All-Star Game none of us will ever see. The one where a small group of wives attended and those who worked on the field adjacent to Cressey’s stayed to gawk. Groups under 50 outside in Florida were permitted, and there’s no question how fast the shiny aluminum would have disappeared from the bleacher seats if someone had leaked word to the public.

“If it was up to me, I’d be exploiting everyone there, but that’s why (Cressey has) got so many guys who trust him,” Bleier said. “He cares and it’s not ‘Oh, let’s put it out on Instagram.’”

Cressey has some video and may eventually create a highlight reel someday. He’s plenty busy, and still unsure. There were other concerns about streaming and promoting a sandlot-style game while MLB and the players association were in public, ugly negotiations.

“I think people were scared of the owners, they didn’t want it to rub the wrong way,” Morrison said. “My stance is, ‘Listen, they are the reason we are here in the first place’. We wanted to work this out earlier. This was their fault that we had to play on a high school field, so let’s fire up the cameras. That’s how I look at it.”

There is another point Morrison, who played in both of the Fight Club games, would like to drive across.

“Max Scherzer has $250 million dollars (seven years, $210 on Scherzer), Justin Verlander has how many millions of dollars and those guys are still out there grinding it out every day, seven days a week in the Florida sun. And it’s hot and humid as shit. It’s not always fun out there,” he said. “It’s because they really want to play and play well this year. Even when we weren’t allowed to play, we found a way.”

Kluber, Scherzer, Verlander, Stanton, Jackson, Morrison, Goldschmidt, Gsellman, Wacha, Syndergaard, Bleier, Holaday.

The big-league players part of the Palm Beach crew also included Josh James, Taylor Guerrieri, Brian Moran, Mike Brosseau, Ryan LaMarre, Steve Cishek, Nick Wittgren, Brad Hand, Zach Plesac, Anthony Swarzak, Monte Harrison, Isan Díaz, Jordan Holloway, Austin Voth, Kyle McGowin, Tyler Kinley and Kyle Barraclough. There were more free agents and non-roster guys. A.J. Ramos and Kevin Siegrist. Even now, Cressey isn’t sure if that’s a comprehensive list.

Triston McKenzie and Jesús Luzardo were there and started in the second game adjacent to Cressey’s gym. (The city of Palm Beach owns the field.) Cressey’s wife, Anna, threw out the first pitch, a well-deserved honor for someone who put in 18-hour days.

“We basically ran an organization for a few months,” Cressey said on the phone Tuesday, on the eve of the first day of baseball’s summer training.

Players have reported back to their respective home cities by now, many doing interviews for this story while they follow mandatory quarantine after a COVID-19 test.

Will it help? All the preparation, the work that went into baseball’s underground fight club? Scherzer thinks so.

‘The cool thing about baseball (is) you’re always trying to face the best, one on one,” he said. “I had to keep my feel for my pitches, to keep them all separate, now I can get into midseason form as quickly as possible in camp.”

There will be a natural ramping-up over three weeks, perhaps time for everyone else to catch up by Opening Day on July 23. There’s no telling what will happen in a 60-game season, but the Palm Beach crew likes their chances. And they’ve got one hell of a quarantine story.

“Where else were multiple Major Leaguers playing games?” Bleier asked. “We had check-ins with the Orioles, and I’d see other guys do like four ups and simulate (games) to nobody. I was throwing to All-Stars, getting feedback and then learning more by watching them play. It was unique, and I hope they figure out a way to continue it in some way next year.”

Whatever happens, the 2020 Fight Club will always be special. Plus, it may be the biggest crowd these guys play in front of all year.

“I was kinda nervous,” Bleier joked of his outing in the first game. ‘We had some parents there.”

the athletic was incredible before covid and their massive round of cuts. its still very good at times, hope they can recover when there are enough sports for people to pay to read about again.

Comments

GambleBotsChafedPenis: Great Article/Thanks For Sharing/Fuck Corona Rep

Sanlmar: Thank you Crowe

BCR: That’s a 30 for 30 if they ever realize it. Thx for share.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I know you don't like him, Sanlmar, but Urias looked great last night. Yes, it was against the D-backs, but still.

One of my fantasy baseball teams has several Dodgers on it -- ones I grabbed before anyone knew who they were. Bellinger, Muncy, Urias, Buehler, Will Smith, and even Chris Taylor before I dropped him going into this year. I also have Justin Turner, but I picked him up after he was good.

Anyway, I think Urias has been underutilized in recent years. 2020 probably would have been his big break. We will see what happens in this weird season.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I know you don't like him, Sanlmar, but Urias looked great last night. Yes, it was against the D-backs, but still.

One of my fantasy baseball teams has several Dodgers on it -- ones I grabbed before anyone knew who they were. Bellinger, Muncy, Urias, Buehler, Will Smith, and even Chris Taylor before I dropped him going into this year. I also have Justin Turner, but I picked him up after he was good.

Anyway, I think Urias has been underutilized in recent years. 2020 probably would have been his big break. We will see what happens in this weird season.
    I don’t dislike him I just hated the hype.

didn’t see him yesterday. Squabbling with MLB package subscription.

He came into the league with unbelievable hype and he never lived up to it. He fucks around to much as a quasi control pitcher. Challenge a batter. I don’t know what the problem is/was - I always suspected it was organizational. He had the tools. They protected him and all manner of nonsense.

I made a ton of money fading him

Now I am alert to him degenerating into a head case.

We will see. The pitching staff needs him desperately.

I am in awe of the offense. They are the Yankees without the pitching. Will be fun.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Mookie signs a 13-year deal with the Dodgers, worth something around $390 million.

Dodgers better hope:

1) He remains elite for many years to come

2) Coronavirus doesn't forever change baseball

They will have to fork over big $ for Bellinger in 2023 and Buehler in 2024, as well.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Mookie signs a 13-year deal with the Dodgers, worth something around $390 million.

Dodgers better hope:

1) He remains elite for many years to come

2) Coronavirus doesn't forever change baseball

They will have to fork over big $ for Bellinger in 2023 and Buehler in 2024, as well.
    obv a contract that hopes he can put out for 6 years like he has and the dodgers win the ws in that time frame.

none of types of deals have ever been good for the teams that gave them. at least betts is <30 and is a much better player than heyward, so he shouldn't shit it immediately.

why not just give him 45mil per for 6 years to save a lil....lol
    Last edited by mulva; 07-23-2020 at 05:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Load Metric
    We have a fake President.

We have fake news.

We now have fake fans.

Comments

dwai: n-word lover

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post
    We have a fake President.

We have fake news.

We now have fake fans.

something just daaaaaaats about

dang bro they ate our family THIRST of

we cant afford it but we will take care of this for you

sick ass grovelers crying omg you rube

Diamond
    Load Metric
    so i love fantasy baseball and wtf Kike Hernandez is like the best player in baseball for the first week every year before eventually getting dropped in every league

Load Metric
    Ya, Kike tends to disappear once the temperature rises.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    It's not quite that simple, but you're close.

He's an incredibly streaky hitter. When he's going well, he kills it. When he's not, every at-bat is pretty much an automatic strikeout or weak groundout. As a Dodgers fan, I've witnessed a number of marvelous Kike games like last night, and I've witnessed a number of rally-killing situations where he blows it over and over.

It all adds up to where he's a valuable bench guy who can play a million positions, but not much beyond that.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also shoutout to Tyler Rogers for getting my fantasy team off to a great start pitching wise.

Load Metric
    Clearly Shane Bieber is Cy Young lock.

Might be premature to give the Tribe the pennant.

Load Metric
    LOL...You are going to see a lot of kneeling this year.

Comments

dwai: n-word lover

Rest In Peace
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Thanks, Grenade.... I am tidying up before the season begins.

Toronto is still homeless.

If someone wants to invest the energy I think there are going to be historic edges to be had. Just wild stuff.

For instance: No listed pitchers this year. Everything is action. That is huge. Live is always tethered to preflop action and there should be big opportunity in a game if an a illness or surprise develops.

I hope I have the time.

Chef P & the Mets lost. Stupid soccer luck. I had a good day when I wasn’t expecting one.

Excuse me I Bet daily, Last 2 days I have had Go as Listed... ty.

Thread Information