Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2020 Thread

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    yaz to the white sox. 4-73mil

they might be hating this 1 month into the season..not to mention they already have a catcher that was pretty damn good last year.

this is a good spot for him. i really think english is a 2nd language for most of this team
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Dodgers claim that they are "serious" about signing Rendon. Justin Turner has already agreed to move to 1B if this occurs. This would move Muncy to 2B, which would be a bit of a defensive liability, but he's not as bad at the position as you might picture. He actually saw 70 games at 2B in 2019, which ended up being his most played position.

Turner will also be 35, and his very strong defense at 3B is starting to slip. So a position move wouldn't be a bad idea anyway.

Dodgers have NOT expressed interest in Gerrit Cole yet, which is weird. They need him more than they do Rendon. The Nationals showed this year how much a strong starting rotation can still win championships.

Dodgers offense will be fine without Rendon. In fact, it will still be damn good. Yes, Rendon would make the team even more powerful, but the same pitching liability we saw in 2019 would exist in 2020.

What they really need is a top-flight starter and a new lockdown closer.

Speaking of starters, it has been announced that Julio Urias will start in 2020. He had a weird role in 2019 which wasn't well defined, often oddly appearing in mop-up multi-inning spots. Very wasteful use of a guy who struck out more than a batter per inning, and had 2.49/1.049 ERA/WHIP numbers.
    re: Dodgers -- when it comes to free agents, the current Dodger mgmt are bargain bin pickers; all the talk of Dodger big name signings is just fluffer spin put out by player agents to bid up the price
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post
    Dodgers claim that they are "serious" about signing Rendon. Justin Turner has already agreed to move to 1B if this occurs. This would move Muncy to 2B, which would be a bit of a defensive liability, but he's not as bad at the position as you might picture. He actually saw 70 games at 2B in 2019, which ended up being his most played position.

Turner will also be 35, and his very strong defense at 3B is starting to slip. So a position move wouldn't be a bad idea anyway.

Dodgers have NOT expressed interest in Gerrit Cole yet, which is weird. They need him more than they do Rendon. The Nationals showed this year how much a strong starting rotation can still win championships.

Dodgers offense will be fine without Rendon. In fact, it will still be damn good. Yes, Rendon would make the team even more powerful, but the same pitching liability we saw in 2019 would exist in 2020.

What they really need is a top-flight starter and a new lockdown closer.

Speaking of starters, it has been announced that Julio Urias will start in 2020. He had a weird role in 2019 which wasn't well defined, often oddly appearing in mop-up multi-inning spots. Very wasteful use of a guy who struck out more than a batter per inning, and had 2.49/1.049 ERA/WHIP numbers.
    re: Dodgers -- when it comes to free agents, the current Dodger mgmt are bargain bin pickers; all the talk of Dodger big name signings is just fluffer spin put out by player agents to bid up the price
    This year might be different. The fanbase is legit pissed. There was all this talk about 2019 finally being the big year, and then they get bounced the first round as a result of a series of dumb managerial decisions in late Game 5.

It probably stings a bit less now that the lowly wildcard team beating them went on to sweep the NLCS and win the World Series via 4 road victories, but still.

The last two years, it was, "Well, we made the World Series, so we just need minor tweaks to win it all."

This year they can't say that.

I'd rather they go after Cole than Rendon, though. The need they have is playoff caliber pitching at this point. Their offense is fine. Trot out the same lineup in 2020, and they will still put up great offensive numbers. The real concerns are the bullpen and the lack of a top-flight started beyond Walker Buehler.

Load Metric

This year might be different. The fanbase is legit pissed. There was all this talk about 2019 finally being the big year, and then they get bounced the first round as a result of a series of dumb managerial decisions in late Game 5.

It probably stings a bit less now that the lowly wildcard team beating them went on to sweep the NLCS and win the World Series via 4 road victories, but still.

The last two years, it was, "Well, we made the World Series, so we just need minor tweaks to win it all."

This year they can't say that.

I'd rather they go after Cole than Rendon, though. The need they have is playoff caliber pitching at this point. Their offense is fine. Trot out the same lineup in 2020, and they will still put up great offensive numbers. The real concerns are the bullpen and the lack of a top-flight started beyond Walker Buehler.
    i'll grant you the local media is pissed, but the Dodgers again led the majors in average home attendance, this time with the next nearest (Cards) drawing 6,000+ less...and the Dodger's usually sell to season ticket holders all seats on the first two levels from foul poll to foul poll, many to companies rather than individual fans...thus the pissed feelings would appear not to have shown up in revenues yet...given that, I don't expect the Dodgers to be too concerned about pleasing a desire for WS win

I understand the local media pressure, because WS for the Dodgers raises ratings and circulation

figuring out what is truth or just noise is easy....as deepthroat said "follow the money"

Comments

Sanlmar: That’s a pretty damn good write up. Was a surprise ending for me tbh

Load Metric
    Don't worry guys, Friedman just got an extension, his 10 year plan still going strong.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    wheels...

5-118

or 23mil per.

seems expensive but those who value war and the new metrics it isn't a bad deal...but once peeps say he performed like a top 10 pitcher using these metrics it pretty much makes me lol and not place the most emphasis on them. sucks for the met to see him go to the phillies.

he's a wildcard for me in terms of performance,..i like him though. he should be a solid player and can't rule out more improvement. unlike most of the FA starters

if wheeels gets 23mil per.................cole has to get 35/40.....lulz

..welcome to the nyy... 8yr 320 mil
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    lol if an AL club overpays for ryu. him moving away from LA could make a big $$$ deal look awful

LA should try and keep ryu. unless you wanna pony up 400 mil for cole or stras.

pitcher of his age don't fair too well moving to the AL.

he'll take a deal like wheels....prolly even less. 3/60 might get it done

Last edited by mulva; 12-04-2019 at 09:50 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by mulva View Post
    lol if an AL club overpays for ryu. him moving away from LA could make a big $$$ deal look awful

Ryu getting a lot of money anywhere would be a mistake. He will be 33, he wasn't particularly dominating up until 2018, and even that year he didn't pitch much due to injuries. Sure, he had a great 2019, but he wasn't quite the same unhittable pitcher post-All-Star Break, which is concerning.

He's a guy who could completely collapse and/or sit out with injury. He made 1 total start from 2015-2016. 2017 was mediocre. 2018 he was out half the time with injury.

Obviously would be useful to a rotation if things go well, but I wouldn't spend a lot on him long-term.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by mulva View Post

Ryu getting a lot of money anywhere would be a mistake. He will be 33, he wasn't particularly dominating up until 2018, and even that year he didn't pitch much due to injuries. Sure, he had a great 2019, but he wasn't quite the same unhittable pitcher post-All-Star Break, which is concerning.

He's a guy who could completely collapse and/or sit out with injury. He made 1 total start from 2015-2016. 2017 was mediocre. 2018 he was out half the time with injury.

Obviously would be useful to a rotation if things go well, but I wouldn't spend a lot on him long-term.
    he makes a lot of sense to resign with LA imo. unless some team wants to throw stupid money at him.

the dodgers could always pivot to kuechel, although not very glam, i'm sure he'll put up good numbers in chavez as well. i mean, are there many starting pitchers that go to LA and get worse? raid those underachieving AL pitchers......or just pay the 400mil piper

i wonder who is going to get didi and castellanos....those are 2 very good players. castellanos is a very underrated hitter

Load Metric
    Blake Treinen had a strange couple years. After an historically dominant 2018, he crashed back to earth hard last year. Typical volatile reliever, but to the extreme. Playing for the low-budget A's and entering his final year of arbitration, the A's decided not to pay him a projected 7.8 mil and non-tendered him. Usually when guys get non-tendered (released), their best bet is to land elsewhere with a deal around what their projected arb. would have been, but probably a little less.

The Dodgers gave Treinen 1 year 10 mil guaranteed today.....

Dodgers gonna dodge. At least its not a machine gun kelly multi-year pact.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The Treinen signing isn't that bad because it's only 1 year and he actually has potential to pitch really well. He had another bad year in the past besides 2019, and bounced back from that.

A change of scenery might put him back to effectiveness.

But the Dodgers let another free agent season go by without grabbing a marquee name. No Strasburg, no Rendon, no Cole.

Oh yeah, Rendon went to the Angels today. I see that hasn't been mentioned here yet. 7/245

Load Metric
    If we can get Dallas Keuchel and someone decent for our pen, we will be looking pretty good.

Load Metric
    The Treinen signing isn't that bad because it's only 1 year and he actually has potential to pitch really well. He had another bad year in the past besides 2019, and bounced back from that.

But the Dodgers let another free agent season go by without grabbing a marquee name. No Strasburg, no Rendon, no Cole.

Oh yeah, Rendon went to the Angels today. I see that hasn't been mentioned here yet. 7/245
    more and more, its becoming apparent that in the free agent market, the Dodgers act as a fluffer to hamstring long term financially the winning bidder by pushing up the price with little intention of getting the player signed...maybe the Yankees can deal with a long term contract going bad, but the Angels will struggle and maybe the Nationals too if their deals go south.

and btw, the Dodgers losing out year after year in the playoffs is not unprecedented in Los Angeles sports history---the Jerry West/Elgin Baylor/Chamberlin Lakers of the 1960's won the western conference several years in row only to lose to the Celtics in the finals. The Lakers eventually won in '71, but it wasn't until Jerry Buss bought the team from Jack Kent Cooke, signed Kareem & drafted Magic & Worthy that the championships began to pile up....so there's history one hopes will repeat, or at least rhyme
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 12-12-2019 at 08:43 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

more and more, its becoming apparent that in the free agent market, the Dodgers act as a fluffer to hamstring long term financially the winning bidder by pushing up the price with little intention of getting the player signed...maybe the Yankees can deal with a long term contract going bad, but the Angels will struggle and maybe the Nationals too if their deals go south.
    I can understand how it would appear that way, but that's not even what I believe is actually happening.

The problem is that the Dodgers are cheap, and they also have a GM who cut his teeth running a small market team, and is terrified of giant, expensive, multiyear contracts.

So, like with Rendon, the Dodgers were interested, but put a ceiling of $200 million on him. Once they saw he was definitely going to get offers in excess of that, they bailed out. Same thing with Cole, though their ceiling on him was higher (but not anywhere close to what the Yankees paid).

This financial restraint could be seen as refreshing (so they don't become another Phillies and ruin the team for a decade after winning a championship), but there are two problems with this approach.

First, they're basically shutting themselves out from getting any free agent superstars.

Second, they've mostly sucked at signing mid-level free agents, which have added up to dead money equivalent to those big contract anyway. For example, AJ Pollock and Joe Kelly for 3 years could have paid for one of those superstar free agents for those same years.

If you're a big market team, sometimes you just have to go for it, and stop obsessing over getting 100% value out of the big contracts. As much as I hate the Angels, they're not afraid to reach for the stars with big contracts, though sometimes to their own peril (Albert Pujols, anyone?)

Anyway, looks like the Dodgers aren't going to make a big splash this offseason, but they're still going to come in as the big favorites to win the NL West yet again.

Load Metric
    This financial restraint could be seen as refreshing (so they don't become another Phillies and ruin the team for a decade after winning a championship), but there are two problems with this approach.
    I'm sorry Druff we have been over this many times but your goals are WAY different than other fan's goals.

There's one thing every pro team should be trying to do....win a championship.

If the Dodgers are going to walk through the NL West again why not blow your load on Cole or Rendon? It might get you that win in the NL Championship or World Series.....especially with Kershaw's window closing very quickly if not already shut.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    I'm sorry Druff we have been over this many times but your goals are WAY different than other fan's goals.

If the Dodgers are going to walk through the NL West again why not blow your load on Cole or Rendon? It might get you that win in the NL Championship or World Series.....especially with Kershaw's window closing very quickly if not already shut.
    I think you misread my post. I am not in support of the Dodgers being as cheap as they are.

They do need to take some shots with big free agents.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    doesn't seem like the dodgers want ryu either, which is really weird. the reports have them pursuing madbum, who might have a couple of strong seasons left pitching in chavez. at least in the current 2020 kershaw mold.

i see reports of ryu to mnny and stl.....lol @ going to minn. that could blow up something awful.

lol @ mets getting porcello and wacha. obv wacha has to pitch out of the pen, which they need because half the season they didn't have more than one peep able to even pitch and get anyone out in the latter innings. at least porcello cmes with the hope of pitching close to home and going from the al east to the nl east. that alone could bring is era back down to acceptable inning eater.

can't believe more teams don't want castellanos. he hit like a beast for chicago. puig can help any team as well

maybe price and bradley is in play. hader looks like he is. as well as marte from pitt.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post

I think you misread my post. I am not in support of the Dodgers being as cheap as they are.

The Dodgers just need a complete overhaul at this point. Revamp the front office, hire Scioscia. He is a good manager but he was on the Angels for WAYYYY too long.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy Collins View Post

The Dodgers just need a complete overhaul at this point. Revamp the front office, hire Scioscia. He is a good manager but he was on the Angels for WAYYYY too long.
    They don't need a complete overhaul. How can you say that after they won 106 games and took down their 7th consecutive NL West title?

They actually have an excellent foundation. They just need to stop being so afraid to make the big signing.

Comments

GrenadaRoger: yep, but it seems the accountants are in charge of Dodgerland, not the marketing guy

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy Collins View Post

They don't need a complete overhaul. How can you say that after they won 106 games and took down their 7th consecutive NL West title?

They actually have an excellent foundation. They just need to stop being so afraid to make the big signing.
    You're not going to win the World Series with Dave Roberts at the helm that's for sure. You will win the NL West but that's about it.

Thread Information