Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2020 Thread

  1. #21
    Platinum mulva's Avatar
    Reputation
    346
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4,936
    Blog Entries
    4
    jin ryu has to get a pretty big deal. he was lights out last year until the second half

    how can he not get 3/50-60 from some team. he might even prove to be a bargain as well at that price..

    bumgart is turning into a 3rd starter/inning eater. he might have a swan song left, but he doesn't appeal that much to me.

     
    Comments
      
      GrenadaRoger: Jin Ryu - buyer beware, injury history
      
      Sanlmar: Mulva knows pitching.
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.



  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    While the Twins division title this year was largely offensively fueled, its nuts to see a playoff team have 4 of their 5 starters hit free agency at the same time. Current rotation is Berrios, the guy who was an uber-driver last offseason, top prospect Graterol, and ...........

    Odorizzi was offered a QO, and he is in that range of guy who might be smart to take it, although I doubt he will. With those 4 starters and vets Castro and Schoop gone thats about $45 mil off the books from last season, so they can be players for anyone. I'd love to see a run at Cole, but I figure they will wind up with 1 of their own guys back (preferably Odorizzi) and like MadBum and then 1 other lower level FA.
    Twins were fun and made everyone some money cause they surprised. However, I doubt they pursue big name arms.

    Their schtick was their use of Trackman, analytics and biometrics. Improved spin rate and all that. They improved a bunch of so so talent.

    They were early with the technology and they were lucky their pitchers were coachable.

    They are gonna feel they are geniuses and have insight and keep with the bargain basement program. . However, that ship has sailed as every decent high school team is on board now.

    Also, Ryu had a good run. Avoid any heavy investment for 2020.

  3. #23
    Platinum mulva's Avatar
    Reputation
    346
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4,936
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    While the Twins division title this year was largely offensively fueled, its nuts to see a playoff team have 4 of their 5 starters hit free agency at the same time. Current rotation is Berrios, the guy who was an uber-driver last offseason, top prospect Graterol, and ...........

    Odorizzi was offered a QO, and he is in that range of guy who might be smart to take it, although I doubt he will. With those 4 starters and vets Castro and Schoop gone thats about $45 mil off the books from last season, so they can be players for anyone. I'd love to see a run at Cole, but I figure they will wind up with 1 of their own guys back (preferably Odorizzi) and like MadBum and then 1 other lower level FA.
    Twins were fun and made everyone some money cause they surprised. However, I doubt they pursue big name arms.

    Their schtick was their use of Trackman, analytics and biometrics. Improved spin rate and all that. They improved a bunch of so so talent.

    They were early with the technology and they were lucky their pitchers were coachable.

    They are gonna feel they are geniuses and have insight and keep with the bargain basement program. . However, that ship has sailed as every decent high school team is on board now.

    Also, Ryu had a good run. Avoid any heavy investment for 2020.
    seems like most of the FA pitchers comes with risks for all different reasons. the one constant is that they're all over 30.

    i've seen some of the figures for wheeler. 100mil for 5....that's steep. but mostly any decent inning eater with a decent history was getting multi or 10per not to log ago..and wheels is better than that. he's just not an anchor.

    seems like teams are gonna scramble for pitching after cole and strasberg. possibly overpaying for them. any good team can use hill, and he's proven age doesn't mean chit the way he pitches. if he's healthy give him 1yr 15 with a club option for the same. 10 teams should be lining up throwing money at him for a deal like this.

    a 15mil risk is easier to take a bad beat with than a 50mil 3/4 deal

    400mil over 10 for cole...lol it can happen
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.



  4. #24
    Diamond Hockey Guy's Avatar
    Reputation
    1089
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,281
    Any team that gives a free agent pitcher more than 4 years is retarded.
    (_) ..
    ∫\ \___( _)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

  5. #25
    Platinum mulva's Avatar
    Reputation
    346
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4,936
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Any team that gives a free agent pitcher more than 4 years is retarded.
    well,...cole and stras are but but guaranteed at least that.

    seems like you might have to go that much for ryu and wheeler...and madbum...maybe 1 will take 3

    it's going to be lol watching teams grovel over cole
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.



  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    what's the QO to odorizzi?

    if it's anywhere near $15 he should slam dunk take it...I mean if you aint a top guy people aint gonna be clamoring to give you 20+/year...
    All QO's are the same, this year it's 17.8 milly.
    Christ he should be sprinting to sign that offer...

  7. #27
    just given what we've seen in the past couple years can't see ryu getting 20 per...arrietta struggled to get close to that...think he got 4/72 from philly?

    wheeler, possibly 20 AAV...straus definitely, just wonder what the years will be...obv no way in hell cole is getting 10/400...he might get that AAV over a 5 year deal, but teams did that whole, 'lets sign 29-30 year olds to 10 year deals' and they're eating a big pile of shit on the miggy, puljos, cano deals...im lazy, but don't think those kinda deals have been given out over the last 2 FA periods...manny, Bryce, trout were all 26/27 when they signed those huge contracts...the shit that you can potentially eat on those deals is relatively small...

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    just given what we've seen in the past couple years can't see ryu getting 20 per...arrietta struggled to get close to that...think he got 4/72 from philly?

    wheeler, possibly 20 AAV...straus definitely, just wonder what the years will be...obv no way in hell cole is getting 10/400...he might get that AAV over a 5 year deal, but teams did that whole, 'lets sign 29-30 year olds to 10 year deals' and they're eating a big pile of shit on the miggy, puljos, cano deals...im lazy, but don't think those kinda deals have been given out over the last 2 FA periods...manny, Bryce, trout were all 26/27 when they signed those huge contracts...the shit that you can potentially eat on those deals is relatively small...
    “Manny” ? You mean the guy with 2 rings and a World Series MVP? That Manny?

    I’m offended you lump him with Bryce and Trout. Eating money? Greatest right hand hitter I ever saw.

    Playoff excitement that will prolly never be matched between him and Ortiz

    Red Sox ate $7m when they pawned him off to Dodgers when he was expired produce. Pennies and it was worth laughing at the Dodgers.

    You may use your mulligan. Maybe it’s all a misunderstanding


    Oops, few adult beverages and I realize now you mean Machado.

    NEVERMIND

  9. #29
    Platinum mulva's Avatar
    Reputation
    346
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4,936
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    just given what we've seen in the past couple years can't see ryu getting 20 per...arrietta struggled to get close to that...think he got 4/72 from philly?

    wheeler, possibly 20 AAV...straus definitely, just wonder what the years will be...obv no way in hell cole is getting 10/400...he might get that AAV over a 5 year deal, but teams did that whole, 'lets sign 29-30 year olds to 10 year deals' and they're eating a big pile of shit on the miggy, puljos, cano deals...im lazy, but don't think those kinda deals have been given out over the last 2 FA periods...manny, Bryce, trout were all 26/27 when they signed those huge contracts...the shit that you can potentially eat on those deals is relatively small...
    ryu doesn't seem to be on the downward trajectory that arrieta was whan he signed.......madbum looks more like him.

    ryu looks like he's clearly the #3 here, with the possibility he might pitch equally as well as cole and better than all the others. somebody is going to give him at least 3-4/60/75. he ain't a spring chicken, an he's moving away from chavez, so it could look ugly possibility switching to the AL. but what are you going to do.

    wheels will prolly pitch like a stud in LA..

    these pitchers aren't going to come cheap like previous years, unless some top team negotiates a trade for a somebody else

    i was really shocked that no teams made a higher pitch for morton last year. very dumb of them
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.



  10. #30
    NL West is so clearly inferior.

    However, the thought of Shortstops Lindor (Dodgers) & Tatis (Padres) in the same division is pretty damn interesting.

    Of course Dodgers really don’t have a 3rd baseman like the Padres.

    Dodgers will never do it. Bob Seager will retire a Dodger

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by mulva View Post
    ryu doesn't seem to be on the downward trajectory that arrieta was whan he signed.......madbum looks more like him.

    ryu looks like he's clearly the #3 here, with the possibility he might pitch equally as well as cole and better than all the others. somebody is going to give him at least 3-4/60/75. he ain't a spring chicken, an he's moving away from chavez, so it could look ugly possibility switching to the AL. but what are you going to do.
    Ryu always had a lot of time spent out with injuries until the last two years, both of which were contract years...give him a multi year deal and its right back to the IL, probably during spring training--anyone giving him a contract had better make it heavily incentive/performance laden
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

  12. #32
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    4651
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    32,554
    Blog Entries
    2
    Wheeler has had exactly one season with a sub-1.259 WHIP. His 3.96/1.259 mark in 2019 isn't particularly exciting.

    Regarding Ryu, he's going to be 33 when the season starts, and he wasn't nearly as dominant in the second half as he was in the first. I'm not saying he will be bad, but he's also not someone you want to lock up for big money for several years.

    Cole is the one who fits the profile of long-term dominance. He's 29, had two great years pitching in a hitters' park, plus being in the AL where good numbers are tougher due to the DH. He's also gone three seasons without injury problems.

    Strasburg is almost 2 years older than Cole, and he has only pitched 200 innings once (2019) in the past 5 seasons.

  13. #33
    Platinum mulva's Avatar
    Reputation
    346
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4,936
    Blog Entries
    4
    mets need rendon...but they're not going to go after him. the dodgers might. then they'll have 2 justin turners in their order
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.



  14. #34
    Platinum mulva's Avatar
    Reputation
    346
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4,936
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Wheeler has had exactly one season with a sub-1.259 WHIP. His 3.96/1.259 mark in 2019 isn't particularly exciting.

    Regarding Ryu, he's going to be 33 when the season starts, and he wasn't nearly as dominant in the second half as he was in the first. I'm not saying he will be bad, but he's also not someone you want to lock up for big money for several years.

    Cole is the one who fits the profile of long-term dominance. He's 29, had two great years pitching in a hitters' park, plus being in the AL where good numbers are tougher due to the DH. He's also gone three seasons without injury problems.

    Strasburg is almost 2 years older than Cole, and he has only pitched 200 innings once (2019) in the past 5 seasons.
    not many innings on wheel's rebuilt arm. he was up and down a little like most of them mets last year, but chavez ravine makes pitchers look better than they are, not to mention the west division. he'll likely be overpaid wherever he goes. it's almost sad if u have to settle for madbum or him and you were looking at cole/stras/ryu.

    there will be some leap of faiths

    if i was a SP needy, cost conscience team i would be on the horn trying to get a deal down with hill right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.



  15. #35
    Here we go with the Astros stealing signs with cameras and relaying info to batters.

    Other sports like NFL allow full blown electronics. Baseball is still calling strikes and balls like its the turn of the century. Catchers communicate with pitchers using Morse code like its 1910.

    You cant make competitors take the Boy Scout Oath and rely on that to make your game fair. Embrace technology or deny reality.

    This story is a non follow for me.

  16. #36
    Diamond big dick's Avatar
    Reputation
    1146
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    fuck krypt
    Posts
    7,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    just given what we've seen in the past couple years can't see ryu getting 20 per...arrietta struggled to get close to that...think he got 4/72 from philly?

    wheeler, possibly 20 AAV...straus definitely, just wonder what the years will be...obv no way in hell cole is getting 10/400...he might get that AAV over a 5 year deal, but teams did that whole, 'lets sign 29-30 year olds to 10 year deals' and they're eating a big pile of shit on the miggy, puljos, cano deals...im lazy, but don't think those kinda deals have been given out over the last 2 FA periods...manny, Bryce, trout were all 26/27 when they signed those huge contracts...the shit that you can potentially eat on those deals is relatively small...
    “Manny” ? You mean the guy with 2 rings and a World Series MVP? That Manny?

    I’m offended you lump him with Bryce and Trout. Eating money? Greatest right hand hitter I ever saw.

    Playoff excitement that will prolly never be matched between him and Ortiz

    Red Sox ate $7m when they pawned him off to Dodgers when he was expired produce. Pennies and it was worth laughing at the Dodgers.

    You may use your mulligan. Maybe it’s all a misunderstanding


    Oops, few adult beverages and I realize now you mean Machado.

    NEVERMIND
    Ortiz is the greatest playoff hitter these eyes have ever seen. I had 5k on sox in 2013 vs tigers when he hit that slam.... was amazing

     
    Comments
      
      Sanlmar: Sweet. Greatest Right Left combo I’ll ever see

  17. #37
    All Sorts of Sports gut's Avatar
    Reputation
    361
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,713
    Wow, Odorizzi did take the QO. Perhaps Keuchels long journey last year motivated him.

    Will Smith declined and immediately signed for 3/40 with Atlanta. Makes sense for a reliever, get that money while you can. Surprised the Braves did that tho.

  18. #38
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    4651
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    32,554
    Blog Entries
    2
    Dodgers claim that they are "serious" about signing Rendon. Justin Turner has already agreed to move to 1B if this occurs. This would move Muncy to 2B, which would be a bit of a defensive liability, but he's not as bad at the position as you might picture. He actually saw 70 games at 2B in 2019, which ended up being his most played position.

    Turner will also be 35, and his very strong defense at 3B is starting to slip. So a position move wouldn't be a bad idea anyway.

    Dodgers have NOT expressed interest in Gerrit Cole yet, which is weird. They need him more than they do Rendon. The Nationals showed this year how much a strong starting rotation can still win championships.

    Dodgers offense will be fine without Rendon. In fact, it will still be damn good. Yes, Rendon would make the team even more powerful, but the same pitching liability we saw in 2019 would exist in 2020.

    What they really need is a top-flight starter and a new lockdown closer.

    Speaking of starters, it has been announced that Julio Urias will start in 2020. He had a weird role in 2019 which wasn't well defined, often oddly appearing in mop-up multi-inning spots. Very wasteful use of a guy who struck out more than a batter per inning, and had 2.49/1.049 ERA/WHIP numbers.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Looks Like Onestep Got A Job As A TSA Agent in Denver
    By 4Dragons in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-28-2018, 01:20 PM
  2. Daughter of top DEA agent busted for drug dealing
    By MumblesBadly in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-02-2015, 02:46 PM
  3. Secret Service Agent busted in child sex sting
    By simpdog in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-12-2015, 05:09 PM
  4. IAmA former Casino Surveillance Agent. AMAA
    By bukowski72 in forum Casinos & Las Vegas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-09-2012, 07:57 AM
  5. Official NFL Free Agent Thread
    By Roscoe in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-18-2012, 02:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •