Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Peterson's family life is a mess

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    I really don’t get the whole paradoxical reaction angle and it feels like nonsense, but I’d like to see the shrink comment.

You can get addicted rather quickly to benzodiazepines, but not THAT quickly. Obviously I’ve talked a lot about them through the years. I was prescribed them initially because I had a series of episodes that they concluded were panic attacks after extensive medical testing.

When the situation seemed to pass and I remained unconvinced they were ever panic attacks in the first place, I was certainly addicted by that point, and went through an 18 day medical detox with barbiturates. A year later, they diagnosed my cancer and said there is only one thing that helps with the serotonin my cancer was flooding my system with, and that was benzodiazepines. So despite it feeling nonsensical to go back on something that had taken me 18 days to medically detox off of, I had no choice. Went back on and have been on ever since.

The detox is hell. I didn’t sleep a moment for 6 days, had a seizure, and would never go though it again . I’ve been on a slow wean off now for years and I’m down to about the last step before completely quitting. I’m prepared to do that soon and will basically set aside weeks where I expect to struggle to sleep and will be somewhat miserable.

So I’m not doubting the hellish nature of the detox. Twenty years ago when they first started me, I’d take them for a brief time. Go off for times. It wasn’t until I had taken them for a prolonged amount of time on a regular schedule that I felt physically dependent on them. Everyone is different, but I can’t imagine someone getting addicted so quickly that they were addicted before side effects would manifest. I once knew a girl who had taken 1mg of Ativan 3x a day for seven years and decided she was gov to quit. I told her she was going to have a seizure and be miserable and she just went off and was completely fine, so everyone is different, but his getting addicted that quickly feels wrong.

I’ve never heard of someone having a paradoxical reaction, which essentially sounds like a side effect that’s opposite a mediations I tended effect, that didn’t occur very rapidly. You need to be taking these for a long time to be addicted. It doesn’t make sense. And as horrible as detox off of them is, it’s a rather routine protocol. Barbiturates and medical supervision. I assume almost any doctor could oversee it, and it’s not some cutting edge science. Going to Russia? That feels weird and like something else is at play. I find it hard to believe it’s as simple as he’s addicted fo benzos and has adverse reactions and there isn’t anyone in the US who can deal with that. That feels absurd.
    At quick glance it's around 1% with Benzos. It's suspected to be from structural changes to GABA receptors. Meaning Barbiturates have the same effect. It's partially dose-effective so it can creep up on you. Say having no issues with 4mg to having major issues at 6mg.

Assumed to be genetic and epigenetic. The epigenetic portion can come with stress/burnout and that's also a straight on/off switch type of a deal.

Comments

BCR: Informative. I guess it makes sense that a side effect could be found at certain threshold. I’ve never known anyone where that’s the case, but it must be a thing

Load Metric
    Soft twat needs to tidy his bedroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Load Metric
    Dude got super-famous super-quickly, + family trauma + meds?

Logically should be face down in the gutter due to heroin tbh. Thoughts and prayers. I liked him on Rogan and other things I've seen him on.

Load Metric
    I really don’t get the whole paradoxical reaction angle and it feels like nonsense, but I’d like to see the shrink comment.

You can get addicted rather quickly to benzodiazepines, but not THAT quickly. Obviously I’ve talked a lot about them through the years. I was prescribed them initially because I had a series of episodes that they concluded were panic attacks after extensive medical testing.

When the situation seemed to pass and I remained unconvinced they were ever panic attacks in the first place, I was certainly addicted by that point, and went through an 18 day medical detox with barbiturates. A year later, they diagnosed my cancer and said there is only one thing that helps with the serotonin my cancer was flooding my system with, and that was benzodiazepines. So despite it feeling nonsensical to go back on something that had taken me 18 days to medically detox off of, I had no choice. Went back on and have been on ever since.

The detox is hell. I didn’t sleep a moment for 6 days, had a seizure, and would never go though it again . I’ve been on a slow wean off now for years and I’m down to about the last step before completely quitting. I’m prepared to do that soon and will basically set aside weeks where I expect to struggle to sleep and will be somewhat miserable.

So I’m not doubting the hellish nature of the detox. Twenty years ago when they first started me, I’d take them for a brief time. Go off for times. It wasn’t until I had taken them for a prolonged amount of time on a regular schedule that I felt physically dependent on them. Everyone is different, but I can’t imagine someone getting addicted so quickly that they were addicted before side effects would manifest. I once knew a girl who had taken 1mg of Ativan 3x a day for seven years and decided she was gov to quit. I told her she was going to have a seizure and be miserable and she just went off and was completely fine, so everyone is different, but his getting addicted that quickly feels wrong.

I’ve never heard of someone having a paradoxical reaction, which essentially sounds like a side effect that’s opposite a mediations I tended effect, that didn’t occur very rapidly. You need to be taking these for a long time to be addicted. It doesn’t make sense. And as horrible as detox off of them is, it’s a rather routine protocol. Barbiturates and medical supervision. I assume almost any doctor could oversee it, and it’s not some cutting edge science. Going to Russia? That feels weird and like something else is at play. I find it hard to believe it’s as simple as he’s addicted fo benzos and has adverse reactions and there isn’t anyone in the US who can deal with that. That feels absurd.
    Curious, if you are on a mild, non-abusive level of benzos why go through the agony of quitting? It sounds like this is not affecting your day to day life.

Comments

splitthis:

Load Metric
    Whenever my significant other catches me in an office affair I just play this VICE interview and she see's its not my fault.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post

Curious, if you are on a mild, non-abusive level of benzos why go through the agony of quitting? It sounds like this is not affecting your day to day life.

they eventually stop treating the symptoms one started taking them for.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

I’ve had the same scripts for 20 years, but ever since all the overdose deaths, it became a big deal. I used to go once every 6 months and get 6 refills and no one gave a fuck.

Now it’s an incredible pain in the ass because I need a monthly script. They can’t give you refills. They need you to come in every month and do a urine test. The urine test costs me $275 every month until I hit my deductible. I could buy a years worth on the street for $100 given how little I take, but I also have a pain script for a small amount of Percocet monthly from a different doctor. It’s so small that they don’t test me every month, but maybe every 3 months.

But if I just bought Xanax or Ativan on the street, its only a matter of time until I flunk a urine screen because the whole problem is I’m physically dependent and take it every night, so I’d eventually flunk a screen. It’s not like I could just not take it for 3 days before the test. So I’d lose the pain script and he discharged from the clinic because it wouldn’t be legally in my system. I’m not dependent on the pain pils at all. I go weeks without taking any. But I’ll take quite e few for awhile if it’s bad and would rather keep the script.

So then I’d have to buy both on the street, which would still be much cheaper given how little I take, but the moment I get pulled over for anything and they test me, which now in PA is a mandatory blood test(no more breathalyzer) they’d ding me for a DUI even for trace amounts in my system. If I had it on me for any reason it would be possession.

Plus I get injections into my neck and shit at the pain clinic, and they wouldn’t do that shit if I was discharged. I don’t have panic attacks, so even though I’ll be miserable for a few weeks, they’ve made it such a pain to get that it’s worth just quitting.

I always said I’d never quit it and go through that shit again, but saw the writing on the wall. They hate that combination. Opiates/benzos. Someone new could never even get that prescribed. I’ve got away with it only because I was already on it, don’t have neck tattoos or fit any junkie profile, but it’s more hassle every year and they were basically going to make me choose one or the other eventually. When you’ve been on benzos this long, they don’t do anything for me. I don’t feel them. I only feel it when I don’t have them.

So once I’m off, I won’t miss them. Losing the ability to occasionally get out of pain on bad days would alter my life.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    What I don't understand about the paradoxical reaction is why he kept taking it if it was making him feel worse instead of better.

The first time I took Xanax was in September 2018, and after an initial period of feeling weird for about 30 minutes, suddenly I felt NORMAL again for the first time in over a month. It was the first break I had from the absolute torture of severe anxiety and depression. I knew it wouldn't last long, and indeed, at about the 3.5 hour mark, it declined quickly back to what I had before. But I understood at that moment why people got addicted so quicky.

However, had I taken it and felt like shit, I would have not touched it ever again. Why did Peterson keep taking it? Or did the paradoxical reaction come later after he was already addicted?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    What I don't understand about the paradoxical reaction is why he kept taking it if it was making him feel worse instead of better.

The first time I took Xanax was in September 2018, and after an initial period of feeling weird for about 30 minutes, suddenly I felt NORMAL again for the first time in over a month. It was the first break I had from the absolute torture of severe anxiety and depression. I knew it wouldn't last long, and indeed, at about the 3.5 hour mark, it declined quickly back to what I had before. But I understood at that moment why people got addicted so quicky.

However, had I taken it and felt like shit, I would have not touched it ever again. Why did Peterson keep taking it? Or did the paradoxical reaction come later after he was already addicted?
    That last sentence is what gimmick said. That it can occur already far into it. I’ve never heard of that occurring. It would be like if you had taken Xanax increasingly up to a 2mg a day dose, but going from 2-4 was the threshold where you had the reaction. In that spot, a person would definitely be addicted and fucked.

Load Metric

I’ve had the same scripts for 20 years, but ever since all the overdose deaths, it became a big deal. I used to go once every 6 months and get 6 refills and no one gave a fuck.

Now it’s an incredible pain in the ass because I need a monthly script. They can’t give you refills. They need you to come in every month and do a urine test. The urine test costs me $275 every month until I hit my deductible. I could buy a years worth on the street for $100 given how little I take, but I also have a pain script for a small amount of Percocet monthly from a different doctor. It’s so small that they don’t test me every month, but maybe every 3 months.

But if I just bought Xanax or Ativan on the street, its only a matter of time until I flunk a urine screen because the whole problem is I’m physically dependent and take it every night, so I’d eventually flunk a screen. It’s not like I could just not take it for 3 days before the test. So I’d lose the pain script and he discharged from the clinic because it wouldn’t be legally in my system. I’m not dependent on the pain pils at all. I go weeks without taking any. But I’ll take quite e few for awhile if it’s bad and would rather keep the script.

So then I’d have to buy both on the street, which would still be much cheaper given how little I take, but the moment I get pulled over for anything and they test me, which now in PA is a mandatory blood test(no more breathalyzer) they’d ding me for a DUI even for trace amounts in my system. If I had it on me for any reason it would be possession.

Plus I get injections into my neck and shit at the pain clinic, and they wouldn’t do that shit if I was discharged. I don’t have panic attacks, so even though I’ll be miserable for a few weeks, they’ve made it such a pain to get that it’s worth just quitting.

I always said I’d never quit it and go through that shit again, but saw the writing on the wall. They hate that combination. Opiates/benzos. Someone new could never even get that prescribed. I’ve got away with it only because I was already on it, don’t have neck tattoos or fit any junkie profile, but it’s more hassle every year and they were basically going to make me choose one or the other eventually. When you’ve been on benzos this long, they don’t do anything for me. I don’t feel them. I only feel it when I don’t have them.

So once I’m off, I won’t miss them. Losing the ability to occasionally get out of pain on bad days would alter my life.
    When I weaned off of Alcohol due to neuropathy a couple years ago I had a few rough nights. It was mostly anxiety but it went away. It was a miserable few nights but not physical, more mental. I am just curious why you simply wont bite the bullet and just go through the three weeks of withdraw and just get it over with? I get it, 3 weeks physical is a long time shivering with sweats and thinking the world is ending. But it does fix itself. I get it, it sucks, but it is 3 weeks and it's over.

Comments

splitthis:

Load Metric

My mom takes benzo's every night and she's dependent and doesn't care because she's 75 and admits as much. I'm curious how much you take each night. I read you take each night but it's a very small amount. Sounds almost like a crutch to me. And this is coming from somebody who uses benzo's as a crutch. Either that or booze. If I'm buzzing good I don't need benzo's. That said, I don't have a problem getting the pills. I've always had a way to get whatever I want whether it was roids or whatever. Not a brag but my reality. I probably have 1000 xanax laying around my house. Literally coming out of my ass backwards at this point. My script runs out next month and my doc will renew without question for another 6 months 90 a month at 1 mg each.

Load Metric

When I weaned off of Alcohol due to neuropathy a couple years ago I had a few rough nights. It was mostly anxiety but it went away. It was a miserable few nights but not physical, more mental. I am just curious why you simply wont bite the bullet and just go through the three weeks of withdraw and just get it over with? I get it, 3 weeks physical is a long time shivering with sweats and thinking the world is ending. But it does fix itself. I get it, it sucks, but it is 3 weeks and it's over.

I am about ready to bite the bullet. Last time I had a seizure with barbiturates, so a long wean was pretty much necessary. Those are the only 2 withdrawals that can really kill you. Alcohol or benzos. No issues with alcohol ever. These fuckers have had me for a long time.

And pooh, I’m down to cutting clonazapam into .25mg, which is almost nothing.

Comments

MumblesBadly: All the best, man.

Load Metric

I am about ready to bite the bullet. Last time I had a seizure with barbiturates, so a long wean was pretty much necessary. Those are the only 2 withdrawals that can really kill you. Alcohol or benzos. No issues with alcohol ever. These fuckers have had me for a long time.

Yeah, I probably should have got professional help with Alcohol withdraws but I did it on my own. The nights were awful, but in a week+ I was over the shakes and in a month the neuropathy was basically over. I rarely drink any more, occasionally wine, but the Grey Goose is gone from my life which was the culprit since I was up to a pint a night. Man, you just got to tough it out for a couple weeks BCR, and its over. I get it more than anyone although I am not being self serving, I get your addiction is much tougher since it's dealing with neuro-transmitters.

Comments

splitthis:

Load Metric

.25 is nothing I will give you that. It's a crutch at this point for you. All mental to get it to zero. You got this.

Load Metric

Yeah, I probably should have got professional help with Alcohol withdraws but I did it on my own. The nights were awful, but in a week+ I was over the shakes and in a month the neuropathy was basically over. I rarely drink any more, occasionally wine, but the Grey Goose is gone from my life which was the culprit since I was up to a pint a night. Man, you just got to tough it out for a couple weeks BCR, and its over. I get it more than anyone although I am not being self serving, I get your addiction is much tougher since it's dealing with neuro-transmitters.
    Grey Goose is really god though let's be honest about it. You're 1.9M liquid at this point and you're bitching about grey goose. Come on kid let's get real.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post

Grey Goose is really god though let's be honest about it. You're 1.9M liquid at this point and you're bitching about grey goose. Come on kid let's get real.
    If it were not for the Alcoholic Neuropathy, you would have a point.

Comments

splitthis:

Silver
    Load Metric
    What kind of asshole gets addicted to pain pills when his wife is dying of terminal cancer?

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post

Jordan Peterson married his high school sweetheart, and there is 0 stories of any infidelity or marital drama. Including up to the last year when his wife got cancer and he had the aforementioned mental breakdown. He also spent his whole career in academia in a field (psychology) that is dominated by women, and he has said most of his students and grad students that did research under him were female, and again there is 0 stories of any personal impropriety or bad behavior.

For Peterson, there is no indication that he is an asshole at all, and all the attacks seems to be about his politics, or more accurately the mostly false perception of his politics based on dishonest portrayals by the media.
    Who mentioned infidelity?

Load Metric
    Saw my doctor today. Gave me my normal script. Told him I was going to go for it and quit altogether and not fill it. I have a number here in case of emergency. He gave me another script for barbiturate. Haven’t filled either. We are going to attempt our first day without any benzos in 19 years. Prepare for erratic shit posting. More than normal. Want this done when the weather is shit anyway and I don’t mind laying around.

Comments

simply1: Be well

GambleBotsChafedPenis: GL BCR Rep

Load Metric
    Saw my doctor today. Gave me my normal script. Told him I was going to go for it and quit altogether and not fill it. I have a number here in case of emergency. He gave me another script for barbiturate. Haven’t filled either. We are going to attempt our first day without any benzos in 19 years. Prepare for erratic shit posting. More than normal. Want this done when the weather is shit anyway and I don’t mind laying around.
    Aww Fuck. Stop bellyaching and get your shit together. You have been whining about this shit long enough. You are a reasonable guy, but lately you have become a monumental bitch about your gay ass addiction. Get your fucking face straight and quit the pills or get in NA and to some meetings. Just stop looking for cheap sympathy on this site. You just became a whiny West Virginia addict all of a sudden.

Comments

BCR: Real talk. I like it.

splitthis:

Thread Information