Thread: Jordan Peterson's family life is a mess

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Jordan Peterson's family life is a mess

When I first heard about Jordan Peterson, and saw the viral video featuring SJWs at University of Toronto screeching at him, I had a lot of respect for the guy. He was being hassled by unreasonable and crazy college leftists during a protest, and handled himself calmly and maturely. He instantly became a hero to right wing social media.

Notice how rational and normal Dr. Peterson, a professor at the college, acts during this exchange. He became somewhat the face of intellectual social media conservatism. He didn't shout, didn't appear extreme, and smacked down SJWs with straightforward logic and reasoning.

Then Peterson quickly gained fame, and I started to notice some cracks in his logical conservative identity. During one interview appearance I saw, he expressed some views about women which, to put it generously, were extremely antiquated. I saw some other interviews where he said some bizarre things which wouldn't make sense to the average, well-adjusted human being.

Simply put, I started to conclude that Jordan Peterson had a few screws loose, and it was likely only a matter of time until he self destructed.

In the meantime, his semi-hot daughter Mikhaila Peterson appeared on social media, and benefited from her dad's sudden fame. Her videos also ranged from completely normal to fairly bizarre.

The two of them then released a book called "The Carnivore Diet", which claimed that many mental illnesses could be cured simply by adhering to a strict meat-only diet. What?!?!!

She also liked to use social media to mock those who criticized her book, usually by posting bikini pictures and using those as evidence of her supposed health:

In the meantime, he started saying insane things. He infamously told a story on Joe Rogan regarding the claim that apple cider took him down and made him not sleep for 25 straight days:

Welllllllllll.... the wheels finally fell off this crazy train in September.

According to the above video by Mikhaila:

- Her mom (Jordan's wife) was diagnosed with cancer, had surgery, but had life-threatening complications due to the surgeon "nicking" certain organs during the surgery. After Canadian doctors were allegedly incompetent regarding identifying what had happened, they rushed to the US, got care there, and her life was saved.

- Jordan, worried he would lose his wife, freaked out. His (Canadian) doctor prescribed him clonazepam (aka Klonopin), a benzo with known addiction issues. He repeatedly popped those pills until he became quickly addicted, and then tried to quit them cold turkey, bringing on horrendous anxiety and terrible physical withdrawal symptoms.

- Jordan checked into rehab in September. Not sure if he's still there.

Pretty amazing to me that a college professor wasn't smart enough to google clonazepam and figure out that it's highly addictive. In his defense, some doctors are still idiots about this shit, and prescribe it with zero warning not to overdo it. Still, this was pretty stupid.

I should know. I also suffered from sudden and severe anxiety/depression late in life, but I was on the other side of the coin, scared by horror stories of benzos to where I hesitated even taking a small dose. This was one of my few mistakes in how I handled everything last year. Had I listened to people and tried the low-dose Xanax earlier, I probably would have gotten better quicker and had less time suffering through the severe symptoms. (Now substantially better, I now only take Xanax when going to the dentist or on an airplane.) Anyway, while my overly-cautious approach was a mistake, it was far more sane than Peterson's blind pill popping which landed him in rehab.

Anyway, the conservative Facebook groups I'm in seem to have lost respect for him, and he's basically seen as a nutjob at this point.

A number of the conservative overnight social media stars of recent years have basically shot themselves in the foot when all they had to do was stay sane and keep the same act. Milo Yiannopolous, Tomi Lahren, Jordan Peterson.... all once on top of the world, and all now with their stock in the toilet.

At least Ben Shapiro and Steven Crowder are still standing.

Load Metric
    I don't really understand why Peterson is seen as strongly right wing. He's not shown any tendency to be racist or misogynist or homophobic. His economic views aren't particuarly "right wing" - you could probably call them centre-right/classic liberal. It seems that his main political motivators are the promotion of individual freedoms (and responsibilities). I very strongly disagree with his views on political correctness, idpol and climate change but I don't think that makes him alt-right or far-right. And that's coming from someone who definitely has radical left-wing views.

But guess what - no surprise that the right wingers would decided to kick him to the curb because he has medical problems. Compassionless scum.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post
    I don't really understand why Peterson is seen as strongly right wing. He's not shown any tendency to be racist or misogynist or homophobic. His economic views aren't particuarly "right wing" - you could probably call them centre-right/classic liberal. It seems that his main political motivators are the promotion of individual freedoms (and responsibilities). I very strongly disagree with his views on political correctness, idpol and climate change but I don't think that makes him alt-right or far-right. And that's coming from someone who definitely has radical left-wing views.

But guess what - no surprise that the right wingers would decided to kick him to the curb because he has medical problems. Compassionless scum.
    They're not kicking him to the curb for medical problems. They are just getting tired of the bizarre behavior going back awhile now.

Plus, he's not fully kicked to the curb... just falling out of favor.

I haven't seen any racism or homophobia out of him, but I have seen a lot of really, really archaic views on women which even left me scratching my head, and you know I'm not exactly a feminist.

The problem here is that he rose to prominence not due to good looks, youth, or a strong broadcast presence. He became famous because he was seen as the calm, logical, intellectual social media conservative. When that stable presence turns out to be somewhat of a nutcase, people start abandoning ship, as people now assume that his main strength was being vastly overestimated.

Load Metric
    You must have seen a lot more than me then. I just thought he was wanting to encourage the positive aspects of masculinity - what has he said about women?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    You must have seen a lot more than me then. I just thought he was wanting to encourage the positive aspects of masculinity - what has he said about women?
    I think it was something about how women have no right to complain about getting sexually harassed at work if they're showing up wearing makeup, which is "obviously" meant to attract male attention.

I mean, he'd have a little more of a point if he said this about the secretary who shows up to work in a low-cut tight shirt with her tits hanging out, who subsequently complaints about sexual harassment. But makeup? Come on. Wearing makeup isn't necessarily sexual at all.

I can't remember fully but I just recall hearing something like that and thinking, "This type of stuff really makes conservatives look bad."

I do agree with his takes about masculinity not being a bad thing, and how modern feminists have turned it into an evil. But that's not what I'm talking about here.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Anyway you might take from this thread that I'm anti-Jordan Peterson, but that's not true. I'm just not as pro-Peterson as I once was, because the guy has turned out to be a lot stranger than I originally thought, and in fact is just a liability to conservatives when he spouts his really odd quotes.

Also, obviously I would be the last guy to be judging anyone for suffering through sudden bouts of severe depression.

Comments

1marley1: The cognitive dissonance smart conservatives must deal with would drive anyone nuts...

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I think it was something about how women have no right to complain about getting sexually harassed at work if they're showing up wearing makeup, which is "obviously" meant to attract male attention.

I
    mean, he'd have a little more of a point if he said this about the secretary who shows up to work in a low-cut tight shirt with her tits hanging out, who subsequently complaints about sexual harassment. But makeup? Come on. Wearing makeup isn't necessarily sexual at all.

I can't remember fully but I just recall hearing something like that and thinking, "This type of stuff really makes conservatives look bad."

I do agree with his takes about masculinity not being a bad thing, and how modern feminists have turned it into an evil. But that's not what I'm talking about here.

That's not what he said at all. I saw the interview.

Load Metric

I mean, he'd have a little more of a point if he said this about the secretary who shows up to work in a low-cut tight shirt with her tits hanging out, who subsequently complaints about sexual harassment. But makeup? Come on. Wearing makeup isn't necessarily sexual at all.

Druff, he didn't say that at all, that's the slant his haters take on the interview. He was posing questions to the interviewer regarding makeup in the workplace but made it 100% clear in that interview that of course it didn't make workplace harrassment ok. What you're saying is a totally misrepresented snippet of what he really said. Watch the full intefview, not the heavily edited hit piece by vice or the reporting on it. He's also not at all against women wearing makeup in the work place. He's trying to have a conversation with a journalist to work through the work place challenges and just posing questions to him.

Curious what else you've read or listened to that is an antiquated opinion of women? When I have listened to him it seems he believes women should go after a career, that a work place talent pool is maximized when women have 100% equality of opportunity but he also believes that women shouldn't rule out a domestic life IF that's what they want to do.
    Last edited by peter mcneil; 11-05-2019 at 09:07 PM.

Load Metric

and you know I'm not exactly a feminist.
    Name:  orly.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  21.6 KB

Load Metric

I haven't seen any racism or homophobia out of him, but I have seen a lot of really, really archaic views on women which even left me scratching my head, and you know I'm not exactly a feminist.
    fellas I agree. This guy is definitely not racist or anti-gay enough to be a right winger.

Thread Information