Thread: Norman Chad, longtime WSOP commentator, bashes WSOP's re-entry events on Twitter

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Norman Chad, longtime WSOP commentator, bashes WSOP's re-entry events on Twitter

Norman is 100% correct.

I am also irritated by the rise of reentry and (even worse) unlimited reentry events, even at the main WSOP in Vegas.

First off, this is very rec-unfriendly, as it greatly decreases the chances that recreational players make it deep, since most of the rebuys are done by pros with deep rolls, which in turn makes the percentage of pros buying in much higher.

Second, this makes the events tougher in general, as you no longer have a lot of good/great players falling out of the field early just because they ran bad or made an early mistake. Now they get to keep rebuying until they finally catch fire, and then they can start crushing everyone.

Third, this perverts the entire concept of tournaments, which have always separated themselves from cash games by having stack preservation and penalty for early risk elements. Reentry events take away these important elements from tournaments, and make them too much like cash games, allowing players busting early (or even in the mid-stages) to reach back into their pocket and return to the event.

I will say that it's actually easier to min-cash these reentry events because of the artificially pumped up field size (every time someone busts and rebuys, that adds an entry, thus making the money come sooner), but it makes it much harder to run deep, as the average skill level late in the event will be much higher.

In general, reentry events suck. I don't mind single reentry events (such as what they do for the $1500 PLO8 at the Vegas WSOP), but I really don't like the concept of multiple or unlimited reentries, especially as a player who desires to run very deep and not just collect min cashes.

Venues love these reentry events because they collect far more rake. Also, this allows known pros to get deep more often, which attracts further interest to observers of the event. Also, in addition to liking the ability to rebuy and take another shot after busting, pros like these because when traveling for poker, they're not just one-and-done after flying a long way to play an event.

Still, these need to get under control, because it's ruining the entire concept of tournament poker, and is somewhat allowing deep pocketed pros to buy titles and Player of the Year points.

As you'll probably notice from my WSOP schedules, I play very few reentry events. When I play NL events, I try to pick the $1500 type events with a single buyin.

Load Metric
    I agree & hate re-buy events & refuse to play them.

Ironically, I accidentally entered 1 online & achieved my largest online cash after finishing 2nd for $2400+ in a $33/$10K guaranteed event on Party. I did not re-buy or add-on & it pissed me off that I was well above an average stack only to be average after the add-on period.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Side note about Norman Chad from a personal standpoint:

When he bashed me on ESPN in 2005, I was kinda pissed at him, even though I knew he was doing his job, and even though I kinda asked for it by purposely acting up at the table.

A few years later, he appeared on a podcast and someone asked him about people who act like jerks at tournaments, and he named off some he remembered, with my name being one of them. That further irritated me.

When I appeared on ESPN's Main Event Day 2 featured table in 2009, Norman was commentating again, but I acted normal, and he didn't say anything bad about me, nor did he make any reference to my previous appearance.

However, for all of these years, I thought Norman Chad didn't think very highly of me.

This year, Norman came over to my WSOP Main Day 3 table this year to talk to a friend he recognized, and then noticed I was sitting next to his buddy. When Norman recognized me after a few minutes, he said, "Oh, Todd, I'm sorry, I didn't recognize you! How are you doing?"

Then he surprised me by telling the entire table, "For those of you that don't know, this guy does a lot of great things for the poker community. He calls out a lot of the bad elements in our game. We really need more guys like him in poker."

I was shocked to hear such glowing things about me from a guy I thought disliked me. I was also a bit surprised to realize that he had heard of this 8th tier poker forum.

Anyway, needless to say, I like Norman a lot better nowadays.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    All of poker Twitter is going crazy about this now. Everyone is showing up to basically claim that they've never liked rebuy or reentry tournaments, and that this needs to be fixed.

Now we're getting all kinds of suggestions (including from Negreanu) that we should return to days of freezouts with no rebuys/reentries and a very short late registration period.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Who has been advocating this for years and shut down by tons of pros who told me I didn't know what he was talking about? Know anyone like that?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    All of poker Twitter is going crazy about this now. Everyone is showing up to basically claim that they've never liked rebuy or reentry tournaments, and that this needs to be fixed.

Now we're getting all kinds of suggestions (including from Negreanu) that we should return to days of freezouts with no rebuys/reentries and a very short late registration period.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Who has been advocating this for years and shut down by tons of pros who told me I didn't know what he was talking about? Know anyone like that?
    If that "me" is a clue about his initials I'm gonna guess Matthew Elliot.

If it's not, I'll go with Russ Hamilton as my guess.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Chad is right. I never liker re-entries or Re-buys. It's not real poker until the re-buy period is over. It also cuts down on bluffing, and encourages donk calling from deep pocket players.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerveza Fria View Post
    It also cuts down on bluffing, and encourages donk calling from deep pocket players.
    Interesting logic.

Load Metric
    I’m for no rebuys in limit events and one rebuy in no-limit at the WSOP (except the main event). The reason for the one rebuy is that many rec players come to the Rio only one weekend and play one bracelet event. It would suck to come all that way and bust out in the first hour. It’s happened to me. Give them another shot.

Load Metric
    You understand that Norman Chad is a comedian, right? Sports and poker is just material

The guy is hysterical. He has built such a huge bankroll of schtick and catchphrases over the years that he can just coast to his final destination

Legend.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    I’m for no rebuys in limit events and one rebuy in no-limit at the WSOP (except the main event). The reason for the one rebuy is that many rec players come to the Rio only one weekend and play one bracelet event. It would suck to come all that way and bust out in the first hour. It’s happened to me. Give them another shot.
    I would be okay with one rebuy and a much shorter late reg/rebuy period.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerveza Fria View Post
    It also cuts down on bluffing, and encourages donk calling from deep pocket players.
    Interesting logic.
    Thanks, Mr. Spock!

Thread Information