Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: *** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Thread ***

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Okay, so back on track.

Let's talk about Flight Simulator again.

As soon as I receive this computer & monitor, I'm gonna set it up and get Flight Simulator.

Two questions for those that have it:

1) Would you recommend a special controller for it? Or is the keyboard sufficient?

2) Anyone try out the difference between a hardwired connection and WiFi? I realize that many factors go into the quality of a Wifi connection, but I'm wondering if anyone here has actually tried it both ways and compared. I actually do radio on a hardwired connection because I want to make sure there aren't any cut-offs or dropouts.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Druff,

How does the game run on your PC? I am looking at a similar build and may play some FS.

Way back in the day, I used standard joysticks as keyboard only was difficult.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Okay, so I just got Flight Sim last night and have been fucking around with it.

Of course I was trying to first find my house, and in the process of trying to locate it, I crashed into.... my house. Fitting.

Fortunately, I live in a neighborhood which borders a large area of nature, so it's not too difficult to find. What's interesting is that everything looks fairly accurate from above, but once you crash, it all looks like a blocky mess.

I flew the Cessna. I haven't used a flight sim since the '80s, so I had a lot of learning to do. My dad was a recreational small plane pilot, so I flew as a passenger in real Cessnas in the past, but we're talking about almost 30 years since I last did so.

The tutorial blows. The concept is pretty cool -- an unseen female co-pilot with a pleasant voice, who directs you to do different things. However, I found it confusing and mostly unhelpful. It tried to have me fly around Sedona, but I was having a very difficult time controlling it, and kept going around in circles, and eventually slamming into the ground.

I decided to ditch the tutorial after learning the basics (but not doing very well at them), and took off on my own at an airport near my house. Suddenly I did a lot better without the co-pilot bugging me, and eventually I got sort of the hang of the Cessna.

I'm still having trouble recovering once the plane starts losing control. Like, it will start pitching left, I'll push it back right, and then it will pitch right too far, and I'll just never be able to get it under control until I ultimately crash. Any tips how to stop this?

I'm finding the land is a bit too green -- at least in southern California. It looks like we just had 3 weeks of heavy rain in February. That's nicer to see than everything looking brown and dead (as it tends to for about 9 months of the year), but I actually found it to be overly green, to where it starts to detract from the realism.

The terrain and cityscapes in general are hit-and-miss. Sometimes it looks very accurate, sometimes you're thinking "wtf" when you're flying over an area you know well, and it looks different. I did laugh at a big rocky hill nearby which kinda resembles Yosemite's Half Dome, which in reality doesn't exist here.

My system seems to handle it fairly well. I had it on the "high" setting at 60fps, and it was smooth, though the detail of the stuff on the ground would kind of draw itself as I got closer to it, which of course subtracted from the realism. I decided to give it a shot on "Ultra", also at 60fps, and it was far better than I expected. However, it wasn't quite as smooth anymore. Not noticeably bad, just not as smooth.

I do like the active pause feature, where you can halt everything and take a look around. I did that when I was over my house.

I flew to Mammoth Mountain, and it was interesting how it handled the detail. The mountain was shaped correctly, but there was snow only at the upper elevations. You could see the ski runs clearly. However, the chairlifts were all missing, aside from the little "house" at the top which protects the end of Chair 23. So it looks kinda weird, but still cool to visit.

Haven't tried the Vegas area yet.

The game itself was a 128GB download, which was the biggest download I've ever done, by a wide margin.

Comments

Salty_Aus: turn off vsync for higher framerate

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Flew some more.

Got better at controlling the Cessna.

Still can't land.

The "rendering while flying" thing stopped happening. Actually does very well on Ultra.

Will fly in Vegas next time.

Load Metric
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Microsoft FAIL today, as Ben came to me and told me that the game was asking for him to "insert Flight Simulator disc", whatever the fuck that means.

I got it fixed, but suffice to say it wasn't easy or trivial, and it was due to design/authentication errors which have existed for many months, and which Microsoft has made no effort to fix.

Basically fixing this took 3 steps, including diagnosing what the fuck even happened, which wasn't easy, given that 1990s-esque "insert disc" message was all the information Microsoft felt we deserved.

As you might have guessed, there was no actual disc we needed to insert, nor did we have to even download anything further.

Microsoft really has become terrible in so many ways.

Comments

shoeshine box: And the stock keeps rising! wowza.

Load Metric
    https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/13/2...ies-x-s-launch

release on new gen xboxes end of month.

honestly this seems odd to me because at the end of the day, im not sure how long id stay interested in this without VR or at least an expansive wrap-around monitor situation.

also are the video cards on xbox x/s really that burly?

i could see myself dipping a toe regardless but if nothing else, id wait to make sure there are appropriate flight controller hardware options before committing.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Okay, so I just got Flight Sim last night and have been fucking around with it.

Of course I was trying to first find my house, and in the process of trying to locate it, I crashed into.... my house. Fitting.

Fortunately, I live in a neighborhood which borders a large area of nature, so it's not too difficult to find. What's interesting is that everything looks fairly accurate from above, but once you crash, it all looks like a blocky mess.

I flew the Cessna. I haven't used a flight sim since the '80s, so I had a lot of learning to do. My dad was a recreational small plane pilot, so I flew as a passenger in real Cessnas in the past, but we're talking about almost 30 years since I last did so.

The tutorial blows. The concept is pretty cool -- an unseen female co-pilot with a pleasant voice, who directs you to do different things. However, I found it confusing and mostly unhelpful. It tried to have me fly around Sedona, but I was having a very difficult time controlling it, and kept going around in circles, and eventually slamming into the ground.

I decided to ditch the tutorial after learning the basics (but not doing very well at them), and took off on my own at an airport near my house. Suddenly I did a lot better without the co-pilot bugging me, and eventually I got sort of the hang of the Cessna.

I'm still having trouble recovering once the plane starts losing control. Like, it will start pitching left, I'll push it back right, and then it will pitch right too far, and I'll just never be able to get it under control until I ultimately crash. Any tips how to stop this?

I'm finding the land is a bit too green -- at least in southern California. It looks like we just had 3 weeks of heavy rain in February. That's nicer to see than everything looking brown and dead (as it tends to for about 9 months of the year), but I actually found it to be overly green, to where it starts to detract from the realism.

The terrain and cityscapes in general are hit-and-miss. Sometimes it looks very accurate, sometimes you're thinking "wtf" when you're flying over an area you know well, and it looks different. I did laugh at a big rocky hill nearby which kinda resembles Yosemite's Half Dome, which in reality doesn't exist here.

My system seems to handle it fairly well. I had it on the "high" setting at 60fps, and it was smooth, though the detail of the stuff on the ground would kind of draw itself as I got closer to it, which of course subtracted from the realism. I decided to give it a shot on "Ultra", also at 60fps, and it was far better than I expected. However, it wasn't quite as smooth anymore. Not noticeably bad, just not as smooth.

I do like the active pause feature, where you can halt everything and take a look around. I did that when I was over my house.

I flew to Mammoth Mountain, and it was interesting how it handled the detail. The mountain was shaped correctly, but there was snow only at the upper elevations. You could see the ski runs clearly. However, the chairlifts were all missing, aside from the little "house" at the top which protects the end of Chair 23. So it looks kinda weird, but still cool to visit.

Haven't tried the Vegas area yet.

The game itself was a 128GB download, which was the biggest download I've ever done, by a wide margin.

Druff can you check and see if the Cirrus Vision Jet is included as a sim model?

Load Metric
    BUMP?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I found this, which you probably also found: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/6...om-flightfxio/

I haven't done any pay add-ons, which this definitely will be. It seems that this is actually being developed by a third party company, but I see nothing about it being released.

The company's website, flightfx.io, doesn't mention it at all.

I haven't checked available planes, as I really haven't fucked around with all that many. I usually just grab a small plane like a Cessa or a small jet, and fly around places of interest.

I'm guessing it's not out yet, as there's not a single post claiming it's been released.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I found this, which you probably also found: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/6...om-flightfxio/

I haven't done any pay add-ons, which this definitely will be. It seems that this is actually being developed by a third party company, but I see nothing about it being released.

The company's website, flightfx.io, doesn't mention it at all.

I haven't checked available planes, as I really haven't fucked around with all that many. I usually just grab a small plane like a Cessa or a small jet, and fly around places of interest.

I'm guessing it's not out yet, as there's not a single post claiming it's been released.

thank you, very much.

trying to make sense of what is/isnt available is infuriating tbh. and honestly id have no issues whatsoever with paying for an add-on for this jet but i hate the idea of basically rolling the dice on quality/bugs.

its crazy because honestly the vision jet and the hondajet elite are redefining the light jet market and i _think_ more vision jets have been sold (grain of salt) but the honda is in MFS but the vision jet is not....

frustrating.

i stand corrected; cessna and embraer are basically leading the pack along side honda. so vision jet is less influential / relevant to the market than i understood.
    Last edited by sonatine; 05-03-2022 at 08:11 AM.

Load Metric
    Tine literally too fat to board actual airplanes

Load Metric
    Last edited by sonatine; Today at 09:11 AM.

awkward.

Load Metric
    bump; the cirrus vision jet is now ported to MSFS.

Load Metric

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I never got a flight stick. Probably should have.

Benjamin plays it a lot more than I do these days.

We tried hooking it up to his Oculus. Interesting novelty, but not really practical for normal play.

One notable change has been the disabling of the ability to crash into landmarks. Weak. As you might guess, you can't hit the NYC Freedom Tower. But it's more than just that. You can't hit any notable building in NYC. You can't hit Christ the Redeemer in Brazil (one of my favorite targets to crash into). So many buildings and structures you just go right through. For years it wasn't like this.

I would understand this if it were to create an explosion and destroy the building, but Flight Sim would either black-screen end the game or just show you bouncing off of it and tailspinning to the ground, with the structure intact (depending upon the setting). Why not just leave it that way?

Cucks really are ruining gaming.

Thread Information