Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: *** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Thread ***

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Well I went with the following system:

Intel i7 10700K (8 core, 16M cache, 3.8Ghz-5.1Ghz)
    32 GB DDR at 2.933 Ghz speed
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    1 TB SSD and 1 TB SATA 7200 second drive

Dropped a fair amount of Jew gold on this.

Haven't bought a monitor yet. Any suggestions?
    You knocked it out of the park. That's a great system. Congrats on getting a hold of a RTX 3070, I hear they've been backordered since release and are hard to find.
    From what I heard, they're hard to find on their own, but plenty available when buying as part of a pre-built system. Interesting strat by Nvidia.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Makes sense. It's generally not advisable to buy pre-built (bad value) but building these things can be a daunting task especially for a high-end system.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I bought a pre-built one. And yes, the 3070 was available that way.

The main reason I bought pre-built was that I haven't built my own computers in about 30 years, so I'd pretty much be re-learning this all over again, and it just didn't seem like an enjoyable project to me. Even 30 years ago, I didn't enjoy this. Too many things can go wrong, and I've always been a software guy, not really into dicking around with hardware. I got a good Jew deal on this system, so I just threw down the money and am now waiting for it to arrive. The better availability of the 3070 was also a factor here.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Flight Simulator is also more appealing to me now because of my lack of ability to travel in 2020, and probably through all or most of 2021.

If I can't go anywhere, at least I can pretend.

Load Metric

The main reason I bought pre-built was that I haven't built my own computers in about 30 years, so I'd pretty much be re-learning this all over again, and it just didn't seem like an enjoyable project to me. Even 30 years ago, I didn't enjoy this. Too many things can go wrong, and I've always been a software guy, not really into dicking around with hardware. I got a good Jew deal on this system, so I just threw down the money and am now waiting for it to arrive. The better availability of the 3070 was also a factor here.
    Hasn't really changed in that 30 years.

I do a full build in about an hour and a half, and I'm meticulous in hiding cables.

Water-cooling is kinda new and going mainstream, but the most poplar application are prebuild kits that take up a couple of fan spaces just attach power and the water-block.

Personally I like to cherry pick the best value for money components, always get a better build and save money.

It's probably easier now, BIOS used to be a bit tricky in the past, and PSU's are modular which makes it easier. All the HD's and SSD share easy connections... sooo easy now.

Comments

wrenchjockey: way easier than last time I did it. BIOS is really intuitive, and even has preset overclocking options so you don't have to think hard

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty_Aus View Post

I do a full build in about an hour and a half, and I'm meticulous in hiding cables.

Water-cooling is kinda new and going mainstream, but the most poplar application are prebuild kits that take up a couple of fan spaces just attach power and the water-block.

Personally I like to cherry pick the best value for money components, always get a better build and save money.

It's probably easier now, BIOS used to be a bit tricky in the past, and PSU's are modular which makes it easier. All the HD's and SSD share easy connections... sooo easy now.
    Maybe sometime in the future Druff will just be sequestered at home with nothing to do but build a pc.....

Kidding! I am also in the buying pre-built camp, maybe even more-so now because it seems the value of building yourself has been dropping over the last 15 years or so. People just are not buying desktops for home unless its for gaming or video editing/advanced graphical work and etc. All the casuals have laptops, or just phones and maybe an ipad.

I am not obsessive with following the market here, but I am getting close to buying again and am starting to look around. Last 2 pre-builts I bought were in 2007 and then 2013-14ish. Just in that 7 year difference, the value at my ideal price range went up. 07 i got basically a mid-range/slightly above mid-range system. Same-ish price in 13-14 got me just a notch below a high end system, although i skimped on gpu and later upgraded.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty_Aus View Post

Maybe sometime in the future Druff will just be sequestered at home with nothing to do but build a pc.....

Kidding! I am also in the buying pre-built camp, maybe even more-so now because it seems the value of building yourself has been dropping over the last 15 years or so. People just are not buying desktops for home unless its for gaming or video editing/advanced graphical work and etc. All the casuals have laptops, or just phones and maybe an ipad.

I am not obsessive with following the market here, but I am getting close to buying again and am starting to look around. Last 2 pre-builts I bought were in 2007 and then 2013-14ish. Just in that 7 year difference, the value at my ideal price range went up. 07 i got basically a mid-range/slightly above mid-range system. Same-ish price in 13-14 got me just a notch below a high end system, although i skimped on gpu and later upgraded.
    Its a bit weird perhaps but I get a perverse satisfaction in building me own gaming desktop.

And you do get a better build still. It might seem you only save a hundred or so but the real difference is not so much the CPU or GPU you'll get but stuff like motherboard and PSU, drives and to some extent RAM.
    For the same money you can usually get an enthusiast type motherboard and much better quality power supply then the generic one in prebuilt. Same with optical drive instead of some cheaper generic you can get a decent one.... and the cream I guess is the case you want/like.

If I was building a machine today I would have gone with an AMD CPU this time and crossfire 5600xt perhaps to get a really super 1440p frame rate.

Very satisfying when you get excellent benchmark results for similar money or less.

All good, not for everyone. ��

Edit

Scratch the 5600xt crossfire. Navi chips. But id still probably crossfire something to get 1440p super smooth.

Haven't built a new gaming machine in nearly 2 years, still running 2 x 1070 in SLI and everything in 1440p is still super smooth... I'm a bit of a dinosaur perhaps on multi GPU.
    Can't see myself needing to upgrade for another few years less something breaks. I get 100+ frame rates with virtually every game with ultra settings.
    Last edited by Salty_Aus; 11-28-2020 at 07:09 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

Just ordered this monitor:

Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU bmiprz 27"

Size 27"
    Resolution 2560x1440
    Max Refresh Rate 165 Hz
    Pixel Type IPS
    Variable Refresh Rate G-SYNC

Didn't get it from Amazon because I was reading reports that their shady merchant shipping Prime is selling refurbished shit as new, so fuck that. I bought from a reputable retailer.

Gold
    Load Metric
    My last PC build was in 2012, so it was time to pull the trigger on a new one. FS2020 runs ok on it but not as well as I'd like. So upgrade we go.

Went with this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TntZz7

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
    Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
    Asus PRIME X570-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
    Western Digital Black 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
    Thermaltake View 71 TG RGB ATX Full Tower Case
    EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

1) Went full tower. Wouldn't do that again, MAN is that fucking thing HUGE.
    2) Video card I pulled out of my current rig, it will work until I can walk into microcenter and get a 3070 off the shelf instead of trying to get lucky and finding bare shelves. Its a 1660ti. I currently run 3 27" 1440p monitors which will get upgraded with the card.
    3) I forgot how fun it is to build a PC. Almost want to take it back apart just so I can do it again.
    4) Did I mention this fucking case is MASSIVE?
    8=====D) Airforceproud95 is a good follow on YT. Funny stuff, even from the FSX days.
    C) Curious why you went with intel, Druff. Like, genuinely. Miss me with the fanboy wearing an intel tshirt shit, just give me your reasons
    d) C'mon druff I'm a god damn mechanic and I build my own PC. YOU ARE A FUCKING COMPUTER SCIENTIST. ACT LIKE ONE. You can't give us a 60 paragraph rant on trying to fix stereo mix and then turn around 2 weeks later and pretend you can't seat a CPU in a socket and plug in some cards and shit. You just can't.
    7) Who's running a full-on yoke/rudder/throttle quadrant setup? Need advice/opinions.
    Last edited by wrenchjockey; 12-10-2020 at 04:30 PM.
    shit·show
    /ˈSHit ˌSHō/
    noun
    1) a situation or event marked by chaos or controversy. 2) This site.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchjockey View Post
    My last PC build was in 2012, so it was time to pull the trigger on a new one. FS2020 runs ok on it but not as well as I'd like. So upgrade we go.

Went with this:

2) Video card I pulled out of my current rig, it will work until I can walk into microcenter and get a 3070 off the shelf instead of trying to get lucky and finding bare shelves. Its a 1660ti. I currently run 3 27" 1440p monitors which will get upgraded with the card.
    3) I forgot how fun it is to build a PC. Almost want to take it back apart just so I can do it again.
    8=====D) Airforceproud95 is a good follow on YT. Funny stuff, even from the FSX days.
    C) Curious why you went with intel, Druff. Like, genuinely. Miss me with the fanboy wearing an intel tshirt shit, just give me your reasons
    d) C'mon druff I'm a god damn mechanic and I build my own PC. YOU ARE A FUCKING COMPUTER SCIENTIST. ACT LIKE ONE. You can't give us a 60 paragraph rant on trying to fix stereo mix and then turn around 2 weeks later and pretend you can't seat a CPU in a socket and plug in some cards and shit. You just can't.
    7) Who's running a full-on yoke/rudder/throttle quadrant setup? Need advice/opinions.

druffs a computer scientist like i'm a sihk boxer and you should consider your power requirements while youre shopping for that card.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

Went with this:

druffs a computer scientist like i'm a sihk boxer and you should consider your power requirements while youre shopping for that card.

Name:  doge.gif
Views: 155
Size:  1.79 MB

Edit: I read min 650 for 3070, so if you have conflicting info, I'm aaaaaaalllllllllllll ears, but that gif has been in my back pocket for a long time and I got to use it, so.....

sauce: Name:  dtXifjxt3yZzh2dLJ2Q8Z5-970-80.png
Views: 163
Size:  137.9 KB
    Last edited by wrenchjockey; 12-10-2020 at 06:09 PM.
    shit·show
    /ˈSHit ˌSHō/
    noun

Load Metric
    youre clearly ahead of me there. one thing ive learned from putting together ML rigs is that having a separate PSU for the cards can save me grief. honestly its probably overkill but i like the peace of mind.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Went with this:

Dumb take, but not entirely unexpected from a low-end sysadmin with an inferiority complex.

I would still be working in the industry, as I had been for 8 years, had I not found poker in the early 2000s. At the time, we were just coming off the dotcom bust, there were far more software guys looking for jobs than jobs to be had, and thus you'd be replaced if you didn't work 40+ hours unpaid overtime each week. This was industry-wide, unless you worked as a consultant. Once I started killing it on Stars, I figured it was smart to make a change.

I realize you dislike my politics, and if you want to make idiotic judgments about me based upon those disagreements on policy, I feel it's petty and unfounded, but that's par for the course nowadays. But lol @ this '80s nerd one-upmanship thing you think you have going on over here. Bad form.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    wrench, to answer your question:

In the late '80s, I worked 2 different jobs building computers all day. I didn't really enjoy it, but it beat working in a supermarket or whatever, and there weren't exactly a lot of lucrative job offers out there for a 17-year-old.

I continued building my own computers through the mid-90s, then finally broke down and bought a Gateway. I decided I liked it a lot better just to receive the thing and get going. I just wasn't deriving joy from building them. This was the first desktop I bought in awhile, so I was considering building it. However, remembering what little fun I had doing this 25-30 years ago, and knowing I'd have to take some time to get up to speed with building modern computers (though I know it's not rocket science), I just decided to skip it and buy pre-built.

Since you enjoy building them yourself, I totally understand the route you took.

Load Metric

Dumb take, but not entirely unexpected from a low-end sysadmin with an inferiority complex.

I would still be working in the industry, as I had been for 8 years, had I not found poker in the early 2000s. At the time, we were just coming off the dotcom bust, there were far more software guys looking for jobs than jobs to be had, and thus you'd be replaced if you didn't work 40+ hours unpaid overtime each week. This was industry-wide, unless you worked as a consultant. Once I started killing it on Stars, I figured it was smart to make a change.

I realize you dislike my politics, and if you want to make idiotic judgments about me based upon those disagreements on policy, I feel it's petty and unfounded, but that's par for the course nowadays. But lol @ this '80s nerd one-upmanship thing you think you have going on over here. Bad form.

stop.

you havent had a real job in decades. ive been in this business for 25 years straight. and i dont consider myself any sort of competent computer scientist because i work with actual ones.

if i need pot odds, youre my huckelberry tho.

Load Metric
    Druff thinking he has a more nuanced understanding of computing than sonatine is soooooooo 2020.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

stop.

you havent had a real job in decades. ive been in this business for 25 years straight. and i dont consider myself any sort of competent computer scientist because i work with actual ones.

if i need pot odds, youre my huckelberry tho.
    I haven't had a job in the industry for 17 years. That doesn't mean that I don't keep up with things and fuck around with stuff on my own behind the scenes. It's not even like I was bragging about anything. You responded to something wrench said with a needless and unfounded jab.

You're making a lot of dumb assumptions here. It's an odd thing to do because I never attack you from that standpoint, as I will admit I don't have any real visibility into your work life, beyond what you've shared out here. Even if I did, I'd have no reason to snipe in such a petty fashion.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt View Post
    Druff thinking he has a more nuanced understanding of computing than sonatine is soooooooo 2020.
    It's so cute how you have become sonatine's penis protector in the last year so, like he's your adoptive woke white daddy or something.

Load Metric
    look 'computer scientist' is a badge. its a black belt.

its something earned.

you dont get one of those badges.

*i* dont get one of those badges.

its nothing personal. i know youre a computer guy, i think thats cool. i like that. im a computer guy too.

even actual whole ass CS majors who fucked around and majored in weak shit catch sneers.

Gold
    Load Metric
    So before Druff breaks this off into its own, new thread lemme just say my work is done here.
    Last edited by wrenchjockey; 12-10-2020 at 10:09 PM.
    shit·show
    /ˈSHit ˌSHō/
    noun

Thread Information