Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: *** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Thread ***

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

*** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Thread ***

After playing Flight Simulator from the '80s through early '90s, I abandoned it because I got tired of the fact that the scenery basically sucked. I felt that one day I'd come back to it in the distant future when I could fly around the world and see realistic scenery everywhere. I remember wondering how they would manage that, even if storage capabilities vastly increased.

Well, the time has come.

Next year, Microsoft will release Flight Simulator 2020, which loads scenery directly from the internet, and the quality of the resolution will be based upon your connection. Since it's dynamically loading, there's no limit of what can be provided, meaning you can fly anywhere in the world and see a realistic depiction of scenery there, provided that they have generated it properly from available imagery.

This will also have greatly improved weather and cloud cover, and supposedly this is going to be the most realistic PC flying experience by a wide margin.

When this thing finally drops, I think I will buy a good controller for it and jump back into the flight simulator world.

Comments

sonatine: I was reading about this as well and I am _in_.

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I've been using X Plane but this is exactly what I want. I'm gonna need a faster computer, 3 monitors. Christmas is coming up

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe View Post
    I've been using X Plane but this is exactly what I want. I'm gonna need a faster computer, 3 monitors. Christmas is coming up

honestly if someone can get this wrapped in a VR framework its going to be amazing. especially if there is a multiplayer version where every edgy teenager in the world is flying into the remaining World Trade Center buildings 24/7.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    John F Kennedy had no business flying at night as he didn't haven hardly any experience at night and suffered spatial disorientation .

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe View Post

honestly if someone can get this wrapped in a VR framework its going to be amazing. especially if there is a multiplayer version where every edgy teenager in the world is flying into the remaining World Trade Center buildings 24/7.
    Frankly, I’m going to wait until a version of the software that includes the option of VR-joining the Mile High Club with a catfishing overweight computer nerd comes out.

Comments

limitles: There's the man woah
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    More round-Earth propaganda

Comments

Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe: based

Load Metric
    /QUOTE]

flight simulator multiplayer is always a little uncomfortable because there are guys larping as air traffic control or serious pilots and they are all saying numbers and shit on the microphone. but i look hella forward to them applying this technology to their next COMBAT flight simulator title

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric

After playing Flight Simulator from the '80s through early '90s, I abandoned it because I got tired of the fact that the scenery basically sucked. I felt that one day I'd come back to it in the distant future when I could fly around the world and see realistic scenery everywhere. I remember wondering how they would manage that, even if storage capabilities vastly increased.

Well, the time has come.

Next year, Microsoft will release Flight Simulator 2020, which loads scenery directly from the internet, and the quality of the resolution will be based upon your connection. Since it's dynamically loading, there's no limit of what can be provided, meaning you can fly anywhere in the world and see a realistic depiction of scenery there, provided that they have generated it properly from available imagery.

This will also have greatly improved weather and cloud cover, and supposedly this is going to be the most realistic PC flying experience by a wide margin.

When this thing finally drops, I think I will buy a good controller for it and jump back into the flight simulator world.
    Much the same, really looking forward to it. I think a good stick / HOTAS would be a worthwhile investment to make it even better.

There's discussion about extensive support for home cockpit setups which opens up some solid possibilities as well.
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric

Going to have every fucking airport on earth in it.

I'm already speccing out appropriate monitor setups.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Funny story

Muslim kid that worked for me in IT ordered flight simulator back in the day like 2007 I think. After that everything he ordered online or got shipped to him by family was opened and checked before he got it. Then when he went to visit family in the middle east he got interviewed for 2 hours each time at the airports. Before that he never had any issues what so ever.

Lulz

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Any idea of the release date?

Load Metric
    OBVIOUSLY THIS THREAD IS UNOFFICIAL

Load Metric
    sonatine I think you were right about VR, fuck getting monitor setup just get an HTC Vive

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    OBVIOUSLY THIS THREAD IS UNOFFICIAL
    Even though your now-merged thread was 4 months late, I'll be nice and make it official.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
    Funny story

Muslim kid that worked for me in IT ordered flight simulator back in the day like 2007 I think. After that everything he ordered online or got shipped to him by family was opened and checked before he got it. Then when he went to visit family in the middle east he got interviewed for 2 hours each time at the airports. Before that he never had any issues what so ever.

Lulz
    After several hours after reading your story, I'm still sitting here
    Asking myself: What the fuck? That's pretty fucked up.

Is there any more to this story?

I'm just curious if you want to expand on this story or if there is anything else you want to share.

Load Metric
    What's the learning curve on something like this?

The multi player sounds fun - can you just camp in the control tower and talk to other people like this:

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I watched an interesting test where Microsoft brought in a few real pilots that sim, it looked almost scary in realism. I've been a fan of the series since '98 and if I'm going to be honest? You apparently only need about $1,500 worth of software and equipment to crash into the Shanghai Tower.

Load Metric
    Did you ever get to play this one? Used to love this game when I was like 7. DOS game

Ship it crucial

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    No, I gave up on all of these flight games after the '80s were over.

Though I did really enjoy Jet, which was a combination of a flight simulator and a combat game. Very underrated at the time.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BankNoteABlaze View Post
    I watched an interesting test where Microsoft brought in a few real pilots that sim, it looked almost scary in realism. I've been a fan of the series since '98 and if I'm going to be honest? You apparently only need about $1,500 worth of software and equipment to crash into the Shanghai Tower.
    what about flying into the shanghai requires extra software and equipment, and what is it exactly?
    Hi Lew!!!

Thread Information