After playing Flight Simulator from the '80s through early '90s, I abandoned it because I got tired of the fact that the scenery basically sucked. I felt that one day I'd come back to it in the distant future when I could fly around the world and see realistic scenery everywhere. I remember wondering how they would manage that, even if storage capabilities vastly increased.

Well, the time has come.

Next year, Microsoft will release Flight Simulator 2020, which loads scenery directly from the internet, and the quality of the resolution will be based upon your connection. Since it's dynamically loading, there's no limit of what can be provided, meaning you can fly anywhere in the world and see a realistic depiction of scenery there, provided that they have generated it properly from available imagery.

This will also have greatly improved weather and cloud cover, and supposedly this is going to be the most realistic PC flying experience by a wide margin.

When this thing finally drops, I think I will buy a good controller for it and jump back into the flight simulator world.