Thread: Should genealogy websites be cooperating with law enforcement?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Should genealogy websites be cooperating with law enforcement?

Interesting article in The Atlantic about a battle I didn't know existed.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...ations/599005/

At the time the Golden State Killer was caught via one of those DNA sites, I had thought that the sites were fully cooperating with law enforcement. After all, why wouldn't they want to help catch murderers and rapists?

Turns out that the various genealogy sites have different policies on law enforcement cooperation, and there's a huge, angry debate within that community whether their databases should be used for law enforcement or not. Some feel it's a violation of privacy and counter to what they were attempting to establish in the first place.

On one hand, I understand their point. They built these sites to bring families together, not as a law enforcement tool, and they are resenting their work being coopted for that reason.

However, I feel this is too important of a law enforcement resource to deny access, and that if they can help catch rapists and murderers with the databases, it should be done.

Opinions?

Load Metric
    US to collect DNA of all undocumented migrants

That way the U.S. government can hunt them down and kill them or deport them.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post
    US to collect DNA of all undocumented migrants

That way the U.S. government can hunt them down and kill them or deport them.

Its already common practice to obtain DNA Samples from all felons and certain misdomenors.. But the real reason that shit is being done with the illegals is that a large percent (upwards of 30%) are being proven to be lying about the fact they are related to these children coming over with them.. Its fraud plain and simple and raises the law breaking from an illegal entry to deliberate attempt at fraud which is a felony.. The stories seem to be showing kids are repeatedly showing up at the border with different adults and thus this is an attempt to catch these fraudulent attempts to claim familial bonds with children who aren't related to them.. ICE and CBP have already found hundreds of cases in AZ alone where the same child has shown up with numerous different "family' members none of which shows even a remote familial dna link.. Its a con job plain and simple and this is being done to put a stop and yet another attempt to deliberately fuck with the immigration system as their orginal plans to just mass invade and overwhelm the system eventually failed when they were stopped in Mexico from entering the USA.. X please put a bandaid on that heart of yours because its bleeding allover the place man its unsightly..

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethba...amily-n2545986

Comments

JohnCommode: Learned something about a scam that I wasn't familiar with.

Load Metric
    Since you believe it so important to give police such private personal information to fight crime, how do you feel about a national gun registry that would allow the police to search through a database of gun ballistic “DNA” to help identify potential suspects in gun crimes?

Comments

JohnCommode: I'm in. Wouldn't infringe on the right to own a gun but would help catch dirtbags.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Hell no they shouldn't cooperate with law enforcement UNLESS they clearly and obviously state so ahead of time -- in which case you could obviously just not send them your DNA.

Load Metric
    I'm ok with it, as long as they put a special mark on anybody with Jewish ancestry.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Since you believe it so important to give police such private personal information to fight crime, how do you feel about a national gun registry that would allow the police to search through a database of gun ballistic “DNA” to help identify potential suspects in gun crimes?
    JohnCommode: I'm in. Wouldn't infringe on the right to own a gun but would help catch dirtbags.

John, my question was directed towards Mr. Dan “We can’t increase gun control because the Dems will slippery-slope us into taking our guns from us” Druff.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    This is an easy one.

If you or your kin are slow enough that you’re uploading your DNA to the internet you’re fair game.

Load Metric
    Opinions?
    Their databases should be available to authorities when the authorities have a warrant, and only then.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Opinions?
    Their databases should be available to authorities when the authorities have a warrant, and only then.

warrants are ridiculously easy to get, so that won't assuage any real concerns.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post

warrants are ridiculously easy to get, so that won't assuage any real concerns.
    true, but its still miles better than companies opening up their databases without regard for one. That's a recipe for endless privacy violations without any oversight at all.

Thread Information