Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: And so it begins... teacher fired in Virginia due to refusal to use "preferred pronouns" of transgender student

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

And so it begins... teacher fired in Virginia due to refusal to use "preferred pronouns" of transgender student

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/02/us/vi...pronouns-trnd/

Peter Vlaming as fired for not referring to a female-to-male transgender student as "him".

He's suing, claiming this violates his religious freedom. Vlaming is a Christian, and believes it violates his religious beliefs to tell a lie, and feels using the term "him" to describe a biological female is lying.

Both sides agree that he did start calling the student by their preferred new male name, but avoided using any pronouns at all. However, he slipped at one point and said "her", thus leading to his firing.

Is this ridiculous, or what?

While one does not have free speech at work, they also shouldn't be forced to say things they don't believe, especially in matters like these. This is even dumber because it appears the teacher tried hard to cooperate as much as he felt he could, including using the student's new male name. This wasn't even a guy who was trying to be defiant and kept calling the student by their female name.

Load Metric
    He could have just used the pronouns, while internally disagreeing with it. Seems easy enough. No idea how it violates religious beliefs.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Vlaming is a Christian, and believes it violates his religious beliefs to tell a lie

Comments

nunbeater: appropriate
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Liberals....SMH

Platinum
    Load Metric
    For some reason liberals don't care about the science on this issue, it's all about how someone feels. LMFAO

Mario Lopez almost got fired for saying parents shouldn't be raising their 3 year olds to be transgender. In unrelated news, yesterday my 3 year old thought he was Batman, today Spider-man.

Load Metric
    ive spoken out against the transgender fad for years here.

ive also spoken out about how hiding right wing bigotry behind science seems to be the exclusive domain of magatards.

a kid had her gender reassigned. fucking call her 'him' because 'his' life is by all appearances incredibly complicated and doing what you can to make it marginally less so seems... the Christian thing, no?

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    I don't understand why you can't just call someone what they want to be called. It's not hard.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

ive also spoken out about how hiding right wing bigotry behind science seems to be the exclusive domain of magatards.

a kid had her gender reassigned. fucking call her 'him' because 'his' life is by all appearances incredibly complicated and doing what you can to make it marginally less so seems... the Christian thing, no?
    I personally don't give a shit about what the christian thing to do is. My concern is people being fired for having a different opinion.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarefish View Post

I personally don't give a shit about what the christian thing to do is. My concern is people being fired for having a different opinion.

Liberals also want people who don't believe in Global Warming put in jail.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerveza Fria View Post

nap time, boomer.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerveza Fria View Post

nap time, boomer.
    It's dipshits like you that got Trump elected in the first place, the funny thing is you're oblivious to this. You're truely the worst kind of person and one of the biggest reasons the country is divided and getting worse by the day. You think you're smart (for unknown reasons), you can't ever admit you're wrong (one of the worst traits a human can have) and you'll never concede anything from the other side or even begin to try and see where they're coming from. You won't even concede that it's wrong to raise a 3 three old as being trans. You're a joke.

Load Metric

nap time, boomer.
    It's dipshits like you that got Trump elected in the first place, the funny thing is you're oblivious to this. You're truely the worst kind of person and one of the biggest reasons the country is divided and getting worse by the day. You think you're smart (for unknown reasons), you can't ever admit you're wrong (one of the worst traits a human can have) and you'll never concede anything from the other side or even begin to try and see where they're coming from. You won't even concede that it's wrong to raise a 3 three old as being trans. You're a joke.
    Tine can't be a Russian troll. Druff blocked all the IPs.

Wait. Did you mean Ukranian troll?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post

Yes it must have been Russia that cost Hillary the election... Listen to you, you can't admit that Hillary made huge mistakes that cost her the election. One of the biggest being ignoring the people of Wisconsin and Michigan, because fuck them right they're just a bunch of dumb trailer trash hillbillies that will vote Democratic anyway. Blinded by her own arrogance and unable to look at herself, like most liberals and exactly like Tine. Tine has the emotional intelligence of a 2 year old thus he could never possibly realize he's the problem. Must be Russia.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    If I were the teacher, I would have just gone along with it and called the person "he"/"him". But that's me.

It's a very dangerous slope to where they're trying to force teachers to believe certain things and speak a certain way, with the threat of firing.

Question: What if the person wanted to be called "they" or "ze"? Should the teacher be required to do that?

Clearly the teacher was trying to cooperate. He wasn't intentionally being a dick about it, or he would have refused to use the male name at all, and would have kept calling the student by their former female name. He didn't. He used the male name consistently, and everyone agrees upon that. He also was trying to avoid using pronouns at all. Everyone agrees with that. So it's not like he was purposely calling the student "she" to rub it in her face. It looks like he just slipped up occasionally, and now he's fired. Awful.

Do I think the "it violated my religious belief" excuse is BS? Partially. I don't think he'd be "lying" to call the student "him", but at the same time, it is perfectly reasonable to believe that a religious Christian believes a person is the gender they are born with. In fact, if you went to a church and asked this (even confidentially), you'd get about 100% of respondents saying that they believe this.

My real problem here is that the speech/thought police are starting to force people to think and speak exactly like them, with threat of ruining their careers. What's next? Criminal penalties for misgendering? I know that some on the left have discussed wanting that.

Seriously, where does it end?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also, the truth is that the obsession with pronouns is mostly just histrionics from the SJW left, and actual trans people don't find it all that important (aside from the SJW trans).

If you ask a typical transgender person, they would say, "We understand how this can confuse people and they can screw up with what they refer to me as. As long as you're trying to be respectful and treating me like a human being, I'm cool with you."

Many of them are actually annoyed with the SJW types who immediately ask them, "What are your pronouns?" and create an awkward situation, and much prefer that everyone just say "hi" and take their best guess at the right pronouns.

Load Metric
    I’m of the stance that if someone has actually *physically* transitioned from one gender to another, i.e. through surgical means, people should respect the new gender. But until that transition has occurred, no.

And what do I mean by “surgery”? It’s pretty simple: If your genitals looks like a male’s, you are a male; it they look like a female’s, you are a female. Meaning, that until Bruce Jenner had his wanker and balls removed, he was a male. If he’s merely taping them back out of sight, he’s still a male. A male in drag, but still a male.

By the way, this reminds me of a wonderfully biting novel by Gore Vidal. Two points if you are the first to mention it!
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    If I were the teacher, I would have just gone along with it and called the person "he"/"him". But that's me.

It's a very dangerous slope to where they're trying to force teachers to believe certain things and speak a certain way, with the threat of firing.

Question: What if the person wanted to be called "they" or "ze"? Should the teacher be required to do that?

Clearly the teacher was trying to cooperate. He wasn't intentionally being a dick about it, or he would have refused to use the male name at all, and would have kept calling the student by their former female name. He didn't. He used the male name consistently, and everyone agrees upon that. He also was trying to avoid using pronouns at all. Everyone agrees with that. So it's not like he was purposely calling the student "she" to rub it in her face. It looks like he just slipped up occasionally, and now he's fired. Awful.

Do I think the "it violated my religious belief" excuse is BS? Partially. I don't think he'd be "lying" to call the student "him", but at the same time, it is perfectly reasonable to believe that a religious Christian believes a person is the gender they are born with. In fact, if you went to a church and asked this (even confidentially), you'd get about 100% of respondents saying that they believe this.

What's next? Criminal penalties for misgendering? I know that some on the left have discussed wanting that.

Seriously, where does it end?
    That’s exactly what’s next, Canada leading the way.

Load Metric
    nightmarefish sorry who are you?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    nightmarefish sorry who are you?
    Post has perfect timing to illustrate my point.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post

Yes it must have been Russia that cost Hillary the election... Listen to you, you can't admit that Hillary made huge mistakes that cost her the election. One of the biggest being ignoring the people of Wisconsin and Michigan, because fuck them right they're just a bunch of dumb trailer trash hillbillies that will vote Democratic anyway. Blinded by her own arrogance and unable to look at herself, like most liberals and exactly like Tine. Tine has the emotional intelligence of a 2 year old thus he could never possibly realize he's the problem. Must be Russia.
    It's sad that these sexist rants have just become normal.

Thread Information