Thread: Is it safe?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Is it safe?

The B.C. Conservation Officer Service confirmed this fish caught in Westwood Lake this week was a red-bellied piranha and is the second piranha caught in the lake this year.

“The red-bellied piranha does have the reputation of being an aggressive predator to humans. While care should be taken when handling them live, the risk to humans is low,” the e-mail noted.

Apparently the great white winter will curb their appetite for coitus
    This is a man made lake where you'd be lucky to catch a cold and these guys snag
    a Piranha. Got to wonder what bait they were using
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 226
Size:  3.03 MB

Comments

limitles: that's the one

tony bagadonuts: Beat me to it

MumblesBadly: Coge

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    The B.C. Conservation Officer Service confirmed this fish caught in Westwood Lake this week was a red-bellied piranha and is the second piranha caught in the lake this year.

“The red-bellied piranha does have the reputation of being an aggressive predator to humans. While care should be taken when handling them live, the risk to humans is low,” the e-mail noted.

This is a man made lake where you'd be lucky to catch a cold and these guys snag
    So, I'm not an expert on fish, but I'm going to take a shot in the dark and assume that the piranhas in question are the result of some asshole douchebag dumping his pet fish in the water? I mean, that's gotta be it because I've never heard of piranhas in Canada much less that type of climate. If I remember right, the US had the same problem off and on of someone dumping something they shouldn't.

That aside, I think the fear of a piranha in this case might be a little overblown. Years of movies have shaped piranhas into some kind of "mutant creature" that will eat a human to the bone in minutes or some weird imaginary shit like that. I have yet to hear of a big horror story like this in the western world.

It kind of reminds me of the killer-bee movies in the 80's. There was so much hysteria in the past decades largely driven from the fact that they were migrating northward from South America toward the US and somehow lots of people would die from swarms of these things. Now they have reached the lower US but I have yet to hear of some huge killer bee attack that kills someone.

In any case, I guess we can ultimately thank biologist Warwick Kerr for his large contribution in fucking up our honey bee populations and ecosystem by introducing them on this continent, but I guess that is another topic for another day.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

So, I'm not an expert on fish, but I'm going to take a shot in the dark and assume that the piranhas in question are the result of some asshole douchebag dumping his pet fish in the water? I mean, that's gotta be it because I've never heard of piranhas in Canada much less that type of climate. If I remember right, the US had the same problem off and on of someone dumping something they shouldn't.

That aside, I think the fear of a piranha in this case might be a little overblown. Years of movies have shaped piranhas into some kind of "mutant creature" that will eat a human to the bone in minutes or some weird imaginary shit like that. I have yet to hear of a big horror story like this in the western world.

It kind of reminds me of the killer-bee movies in the 80's. There was so much hysteria in the past decades largely driven from the fact that they were migrating northward from South America toward the US and somehow lots of people would die from swarms of these things. Now they have reached the lower US but I have yet to hear of some huge killer bee attack that kills someone.

In any case, I guess we can ultimately thank biologist Warwick Kerr for his large contribution in fucking up our honey bee populations and ecosystem by introducing them on this continent, but I guess that is another topic for another day.
    You obviously missed some of the reports here in AZ where people and pets have both been killed by Killer Bees. Anybody allergic to bee stings is pretty much fucked as they are highly aggressive and people rarely get away from being stung 100+ times or more.

This one was one from this spring. https://www.foxnews.com/us/arizona-m...ard-police-say

Here’s one of the more notorious incidents which shows just how bad those little bastards can be. (No pun intended). https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-in-ariz-park/

Truth is maybe in some places but here in AZ. Those fears are real in many ways. Never posted it but last year had an incident where those killer bee fuckers were coming into my house from outside squeezing in through a vent and then coming out the light socket in my laundry area. Had to call 911 to get them to foam the outside and then managed to kill the 30 or so who got into the house myself. In my case it was a swarm passing through trying to find a new place to build a hive likely. They travel enmasse very often thus you can be in a shitload of trouble before ya know it.
    Last edited by ftpjesus; 09-29-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Load Metric
    The host in this YouTube vid has a British accent, so he must know what he’s talking about.

Comments

duped_samaritan: Bollocks
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Thread Information