Thread: Nevada Taxicab Authority finally forces flat rates from McCarran Airport, after decades of abuse

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Nevada Taxicab Authority finally forces flat rates from McCarran Airport, after decades of abuse

Thank Uber and Lyft for this one.

McCarran Airport in Las Vegas had one of the worst reputations for taxicab rides. Taxi drivers there were notorious for duping tourists into paying for longer rides to their hotels, opting to take the freeway instead of the more direct route on surface streets. When more knowledgeable visitors would complain, taxicab drivers would often argue with them, or threaten to stop the cab and make them get out in the middle of the road.

The Taxicab Authority attempted to stop this by handing out $250 fines to taxicab drivers who were the subject of such complaints, averaging about 500 citations per year. However, most victims of this either didn't know they were duped, or didn't bother to complain.

In recent years, Uber and Lyft have rapidly been taking business away from the taxi industry, especially in Vegas where the cabs had such a bad reputation from the airport. People much preferred the model of seeing the price in advance before being picked up.

This has finally pressed the major taxicab operations in Vegas to agree to the Taxicab Authority's new flat rate pricing, which will be tried from January 1, 2020 to June 30, 2020. If it's a success, it will continue.

The flat-rate pricing involves only rides FROM the airport, and will be split into three zones:

— Zone 1: Sunset Road north to Tropicana Avenue: $19

— Zone 2: Tropicana north to Flamingo Road: $23

— Zone 3: Flamingo north to the Stratosphere: $27

Anything outside of the strip will still have normal pricing.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/...strip-1857557/

About 20 years ago, my brother and his friend were a victim of this scam, though they had asked not to have the driver take them on the freeway, and he simply ignored them. When they balked at it, he threatened to leave them in the middle of the freeway!

They filed a complaint, and were sent a photo lineup to pick out the driver. If they got it wrong, the complaint would be denied. They had forgotten what the guy looked like and had to take their best guess, but they got it correct, and they were informed that they fined him $250.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Thank Uber and Lyft for this one.

McCarran Airport in Las Vegas had one of the worst reputations for taxicab rides. Taxi drivers there were notorious for duping tourists into paying for longer rides to their hotels, opting to take the freeway instead of the more direct route on surface streets. When more knowledgeable visitors would complain, taxicab drivers would often argue with them, or threaten to stop the cab and make them get out in the middle of the road.

The Taxicab Authority attempted to stop this by handing out $250 fines to taxicab drivers who were the subject of such complaints, averaging about 500 citations per year. However, most victims of this either didn't know they were duped, or didn't bother to complain.

In recent years, Uber and Lyft have rapidly been taking business away from the taxi industry, especially in Vegas where the cabs had such a bad reputation from the airport. People much preferred the model of seeing the price in advance before being picked up.

This has finally pressed the major taxicab operations in Vegas to agree to the Taxicab Authority's new flat rate pricing, which will be tried from January 1, 2020 to June 30, 2020. If it's a success, it will continue.

The flat-rate pricing involves only rides FROM the airport, and will be split into three zones:

— Zone 1: Sunset Road north to Tropicana Avenue: $19

— Zone 2: Tropicana north to Flamingo Road: $23

— Zone 3: Flamingo north to the Stratosphere: $27

Anything outside of the strip will still have normal pricing.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/...strip-1857557/

About 20 years ago, my brother and his friend were a victim of this scam, though they had asked not to have the driver take them on the freeway, and he simply ignored them. When they balked at it, he threatened to leave them in the middle of the freeway!

They filed a complaint, and were sent a photo lineup to pick out the driver. If they got it wrong, the complaint would be denied. They had forgotten what the guy looked like and had to take their best guess, but they got it correct, and they were informed that they fined him $250.

I’m glad to see the cab companies evolving but I’ll still avoid any Vegas cabs. My wife and I go 2 or 3 times a year and our last visit in July we decided to use a cab. The nearest Uber was 12 min away so I said what the hell we will pay a little more to get to the flamingo. We get in the cab and as we pull off the guy goes you want the slow expensive way or the fast way. I said take paradise, I know that’s the cheapest way to the flamingo. He goes “aw man you know the highway is so much faster”. So I disagree and say I’m not paying 35$ to get to the flamingo from the airport. He literally stopped before the split and tried to get my wife to give the okay to take the highway, which she would have if I wasn’t there. The guy tried to scam us so I didn’t tip him and didn’t bother complaining to the taxi authority. Just reminds me why I don’t take cabs in Vegas.

Load Metric
    I have heard many people that were victims of this scam. Good thing I always go there with my high roller friends who get limos sent from the hotels.

Thread Information