Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apartment Management Fuck-ups, WWDD

Load Metric
    I suspect she had a stupid incentive plan, Druff.

New sales
    Renewals - weighted as more valuable

Be interesting to see a sample compensation plan
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 09-25-2019 at 07:08 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    I suspect she had a stupid incentive plan, Druff.

New sales
    Renewals
    Oh I wouldn't doubt it, but they were also used to dealing with people there who weren't aware of rental law, and could shut most people down who would raise issues like these.

Keep in mind she wasn't trying to push me into moving to the other unit. She just wanted me to renew at the too-high rent and be done with it.

Load Metric
    Renewals probably weighted as more valuable and better comp to her.

Renewals and retention are huge and expected of people in any business. People die when they miss renewals number.

No one ever builds a process for renewals with lower price. Your budget always assumes a certain percentage of retention... period.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1marley1
    didn’t read OP... he’s saving $6,000 moving a few doors down in the same complex
    I did read the OP.

What does this have to do with anything? He doesn't deserve substandard service because he's moving within the complex to save money. (I do wonder why he couldn't just get the manager to negotiate lowering the rent on the existing one he was in, though, unless it was inferior in some way.)
    “Your history at other buildings might be interesting for us at PFA to know, but it's not the landlord's business, nor do they have a way of finding out. You can say you're a low-maintenance tenant even if you aren't”

I think they’ll know if he was a problem tenant. He sure sounds like one. This whole thread and I didn’t see a single justified complaint. Grease on the deck... yeah, that’s where the grill goes. Obviously you install a door sweep if there’s a draft under the door and no, no judge will ever award damages to remove 3 screws. Also, what kind of high-end apt you renting where it’s a ‘miracle’ your shit wasn’t jacked after leaving the door open for a couple hours. It’s a dish-washer not a dish dryer. Quit complaining. Enjoy the $6000 your saving by downgrading to a shittier apt.

And I’m no friend to landlords. But you have to know what you buy and what your rights are. I once withheld rent $1600/month for 6 months, got evicted, went to court and the judge told him I get the 6 months free. He had to do a bunch of repairs and couldn’t restart the lease till work was complete. My 3 buddies I was living with at the time couldn’t believe we didn’t have to pay rent for like 8 months. It’s a good story, I’ll try to tell more soon. The whole case hinged on a poker table!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 1marley1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I did read the OP.

What does this have to do with anything? He doesn't deserve substandard service because he's moving within the complex to save money. (I do wonder why he couldn't just get the manager to negotiate lowering the rent on the existing one he was in, though, unless it was inferior in some way.)
    “Your history at other buildings might be interesting for us at PFA to know, but it's not the landlord's business, nor do they have a way of finding out. You can say you're a low-maintenance tenant even if you aren't”

I think they’ll know if he was a problem tenant. He sure sounds like one. This whole thread and I didn’t see a single justified complaint. Grease on the deck... yeah, that’s where the grill goes. Obviously you install a door sweep if there’s a draft under the door and no, no judge will ever award damages to remove 3 screws. Also, what kind of high-end apt you renting where it’s a ‘miracle’ your shit wasn’t jacked after leaving the door open for a couple hours. It’s a dish-washer not a dish dryer. Quit complaining. Enjoy the $6000 your saving by downgrading to a shittier apt.

And I’m no friend to landlords. But you have to know what you buy and what your rights are. I once withheld rent $1600/month for 6 months, got evicted, went to court and the judge told him I get the 6 months free. He had to do a bunch of repairs and couldn’t restart the lease till work was complete. My 3 buddies I was living with at the time couldn’t believe we didn’t have to pay rent for like 8 months. It’s a good story, I’ll try to tell more soon. The whole case hinged on a poker table!
    You're being way too hard on him.

I agree that the grease and the bathroom shelving complaints are minor. Were it just those two elements to his dissatisfaction, I would tell him just to drop the matter, and not alienate the landlord over such trivialities.

However, a non-working dishwasher really sucks balls, as does a front door which won't close or seal well. Given that they are dragging their feet with that stuff, he might as well lump the other maintenance issues in with his request.

The bottom line is that he took a unit which wasn't quite ready, with what appears to be the agreement that they will fix the outstanding maintenance issues and clean up the grease on the balcony. They aren't living up to that agreement.

They're also not doing him any favors by saving him that money. He presumably moved because he was overpaying in his previous unit, and switched to an identical unit which is much cheaper. That's not a discount. They had it on the open market, and he chose to buy it. He apparently just moved from an overpriced unit to one at market price.

Thread Information