Thread: Thomas Cook DD -- 150,000 travelers stranded

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Thomas Cook DD -- 150,000 travelers stranded

What a fucking fiasco.

Thomas Cook, one of the rare travel agencies which actually booked people on its own planes, has gone under, despite having been in business since 1841.

It is now in liquidation. All flights were abruptly canceled, leaving 150,000 travelers around the globe stranded. Most live in the UK, but some live in other countries, as well.

The UK is attempting to assist these travelers to get home, but it's going to be a slow process. What a disaster.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...s-live-updates

Some have theorized that Thomas Cook failed because they were stuck in the 1990s. Rather than expand to provide "experiences", which many travelers using agencies want nowadays, they were still mostly booking flights and hotels, which most people do themselves online now.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    What a fucking fiasco.

Thomas Cook, one of the rare travel agencies which actually booked people on its own planes, has gone under, despite having been in business since 1841.

It is now in liquidation. All flights were abruptly canceled, leaving 150,000 travelers around the globe stranded. Most live in the UK, but some live in other countries, as well.

The UK is attempting to assist these travelers to get home, but it's going to be a slow process. What a disaster.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...s-live-updates

Some have theorized that Thomas Cook failed because they were stuck in the 1990s. Rather than expand to provide "experiences", which many travelers using agencies want nowadays, they were still mostly booking flights and hotels, which most people do themselves online now.
    I know it's easy to blame the whole show on incompetent management/stifling unions etc. but you have to consider what has caused the death of many similar age old enterprises. Free trade is great in a lot of ways but you simply have to sleep in the bed you made. Many copycats are willing and able to deliver a similar product but for the lesser price.

The whole game plan goes for Amazon, Walmart Uber etc. It's everywhere in this plastic society.
    Last edited by limitles; 09-23-2019 at 04:01 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    From a Facebook group I'm in, which is unrelated to travel:

We are trapped inside the eftalia hotel in turkey and being forced to pay more money to the staff before we can leave! This is because thomas cook went bankrupt, they have security at the doors and we are trapped here! This making my anxiety super bad rn but I have to help my 7 other siblings 4 of which and younger than 10 years old and terrified, I dont know what to do we are being held hostage by the hotel staff and being forced to pay for what Thomas cook didnt, we already paid £10,000 for the holiday, ugh what can we do?
    LOL Turkey

What an awful place

It's looking like the UK gubbmint screwed the pooch on this one. With 150,000 people on vacation, the government should have put up some emergency funding to operate the airline portion for a few more days in order to get everyone home.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Thank you, Boris Johnson!

Load Metric
    Fuck Brexit and it destroying our economy

Load Metric
    From a Facebook group I'm in, which is unrelated to travel:

We are trapped inside the eftalia hotel in turkey and being forced to pay more money to the staff before we can leave! This is because thomas cook went bankrupt, they have security at the doors and we are trapped here! This making my anxiety super bad rn but I have to help my 7 other siblings 4 of which and younger than 10 years old and terrified, I dont know what to do we are being held hostage by the hotel staff and being forced to pay for what Thomas cook didnt, we already paid £10,000 for the holiday, ugh what can we do?
    LOL Turkey

What an awful place

It's looking like the UK gubbmint screwed the pooch on this one. With 150,000 people on vacation, the government should have put up some emergency funding to operate the airline portion for a few more days in order to get everyone home.
    tell your friend to keep records of how much paid to get out of the hotel...then file a claim in the bankruptcy proceedings...long shot to get anything, but it's probably +ev vs the postage and filing effort

re: government funding -- bailouts only go to the wall street elite, not to the middle class
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 09-23-2019 at 07:21 AM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    A few thing to clear up:

Thomas Cook's business model was great in the 70's - 90's but doesn't work today. They were asset stripped by venture capiitalists, raided by it's management and left debt-laden. They didn't invest in aligning with today's traveller's needs, which really is criminal because people are spending a fuckton more on holidays than 30 years ago.

The bankruptcy has very little to do with Brexit, and nothing to do with the current government, Boris Johnson or anything similar. No sensible government will bale out a failed private business.

Turkey isn't an awful place. The southern coast is stunning and the weather is great for a lot of the year. Yeah those hotel owners were arseholes but that's not unique to Turkey.
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    Turkey is excellent. I don't like the seaside resort style places but I'm a big fan of Istanbul and visiting the country in general.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Belly Buster View Post
    No sensible government will bale out a failed private business.
    Sensible government might be a bar too high.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    My heart goes out to the stranded Brits abroad. They're most likely grateful at not having to return
    as scheduled. And let's not pretend they don't own some part of the place they're "visiting"

Druff you need take a deep breath here and go and read some Murray Rothbard. Thomas Cook is a classic example of a company run into the ground by greedy management who failed to adapt to changing circumstances and saddled the company with crippling debt. Yes the UK government will have to spend some money getting stranded Brits home but the last thing they should do is give taxpayers cash to Thomas Cook. Fuck them and their shitty package deals.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnFanningsLimpDick View Post
    Druff you need take a deep breath here and go and read some Murray Rothbard. Thomas Cook is a classic example of a company run into the ground by greedy management who failed to adapt to changing circumstances and saddled the company with crippling debt. Yes the UK government will have to spend some money getting stranded Brits home but the last thing they should do is give taxpayers cash to Thomas Cook. Fuck them and their shitty package deals.
    I think you misunderstood what I was saying the gubbmint should've done.

I was not talking about a bailout. I was talking about keeping it open for a few days simply to get people home, and then letting Cook crash and burn.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post
    Turkey is excellent. I don't like the seaside resort style places but I'm a big fan of Istanbul and visiting the country in general.
    I’ve heard that Istanbul has some fabulous scenery and history. Also, a friend of mine is from Izmir, which has ruins of the city of Ephesus from the time of ancient Greece, as well as some beautiful beaches.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Thread Information