View Poll Results: Vote for EACH scenario below. What would you in each spot?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scenario #1: Return the wallet intact to the store

20 68.97%
  • Scenario #1: Keep the money, toss the rest of the wallet on the ground

5 17.24%
  • Scenario #1: Take the entire wallet home with no intention to return it

2 6.90%
  • Scenario #1: Leave the wallet where it was, take nothing

4 13.79%
  • Scenario #2: Return the wallet intact to the store

14 48.28%
  • Scenario #2: Keep the money, toss the rest of the wallet on the ground

4 13.79%
  • Scenario #2: Take the entire wallet home with no intention to return it

5 17.24%
  • Scenario #2: Leave the wallet where it was, take nothing

5 17.24%
  • Don't know / don't care

1 3.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Hypoethetical situation involving lost wallet when the guy who lost it is an asshole

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Wish there a way to test this in the field because I would bet any sum of money that at least 2/3 of people wouldn't actually give the wallet back to someone who just scammed them, if no one was watching.
    Do you find no value at all in being the better person?

This thread isn't about how you treat your enemies, it's how you think about yourself, and what your conscience feels comfortable letting to get away with.

What kind of person are you? That's what this thread really asks.
    Not understanding how doing a favor for a scammer makes me a "better person".

It would make me a gullible person and a person without pride. Not a better person.

The "be the better person" argument sounds good until you really think about it. It basically means that, no matter what someone does to you, you're somehow not a good human being if you seek any form of retribution because the "better person" looks the other way and doesn't seek revenge or to punish them. That's BS. Wanting to put a consequence upon someone who harmed you doesn't make you a bad person.

So let's say a guy scams me in the manner described, I complain about it (so the guy knows I caught it), and then the next day, I return his dropped wallet anyway. What message does it send him? Do you think a person like that will have their faith in humanity restored, and become a better person themselves? No. Instead, it will reinforce to them that they can victimize people both without consequence AND their victims will actually help them when needed! It sends a terrible message that bad behavior is rewarded as much as good behavior. No thanks.

I can understand that some people simply do not want to steal, even from thieves who stole from them. Fine. But to actually HELP the thief get something back that he dropped is mind-boggling, and is pretty much the dictionary definition of a chump.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Do you find no value at all in being the better person?

This thread isn't about how you treat your enemies, it's how you think about yourself, and what your conscience feels comfortable letting to get away with.

What kind of person are you? That's what this thread really asks.

It would make me a gullible person and a person without pride. Not a better person.

The "be the better person" argument sounds good until you really think about it. It basically means that, no matter what someone does to you, you're somehow not a good human being if you seek any form of retribution because the "better person" looks the other way and doesn't seek revenge or to punish them. That's BS. Wanting to put a consequence upon someone who harmed you doesn't make you a bad person.

So let's say a guy scams me in the manner described, I complain about it (so the guy knows I caught it), and then the next day, I return his dropped wallet anyway. What message does it send him? Do you think a person like that will have their faith in humanity restored, and become a better person themselves? No. Instead, it will reinforce to them that they can victimize people both without consequence AND their victims will actually help them when needed! It sends a terrible message that bad behavior is rewarded as much as good behavior. No thanks.

I can understand that some people simply do not want to steal, even from thieves who stole from them. Fine. But to actually HELP the thief get something back that he dropped is mind-boggling, and is pretty much the dictionary definition of a chump.
    Todd it is time to wake up. There is no mathematical chance that your opinions are always correct.
    Even in the face of an overwhelming majority poll you won't accept any decision but your own.
    It's impossible. No one has this record

Comments

Hockey Guy: I gotta agree with les on this one.

Load Metric
    Losing your wallet sucks. Most of my personal information is in my wallet including drivers license , credit card, library card medical insurance cards etc. I found a drivers license recently and mailed that back. Getting all stuff returned would be more important then the money. Having to put a stop on credit card, new license are major pains in the ass. Todd is an honest person. I didn't see an option of take the money and return the wallet to the store. Tough call as to what to do.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Library card rep
    Last edited by FRANKRIZZO; 09-13-2019 at 10:24 PM.

Load Metric

Because taking the wallet and keeping it makes you a thief. You understand that part, right?

Comments

Salty_Aus: Two wrongs don't make a right.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Because taking the wallet and keeping it makes you a thief. You understand that part, right?
    Yes, I understand that part. That's why I wouldn't take it if the guy had just been rude to me. I just wouldn't return it to the store. I'd walk away and act like I didn't see it in the first place.

In the second scenario, yes, I would steal from someone who had just stolen from me, and would happily do so. This is the same reason I would shoot someone who had just shot at me, and why I'd punch someone who had just punched me. Fairness. Reaping what you sow. Treating people the same way they treated you.

With that said, I fully understand the reasoning as to why people would not ever take the wallet, as they just can't bring themselves to steal, even from someone who stole from them. What I can't understand are those who would RETURN THE WALLET to the thief, rather than just leave it there. Why help this guy? Why does he deserve this favor after he stole from you? Doesn't that make you a huge chump?

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    I’d keep the wallet because fuck that guy. I’m sure he would’ve done the same to me. I’m not even justifying stealing his money. I would rather throw the wallet in the trash than return it to him.

Yes I’m a vindictive bitch. Being an asshole is enough for me to try to get revenge.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SueShi View Post
    I’d keep the wallet because fuck that guy. I’m sure he would’ve done the same to me. I’m not even justifying stealing his money. I would rather throw the wallet in the trash than return it to him.

Yes I’m a vindictive bitch. Being an asshole is enough for me to try to get revenge.
    A vindictive bitch? So wait, you're female?

If so, I'm glad to see that we now have two female posters here instead of just one (splitthis).

Load Metric
    Can I steal his wallet if I think he cheated someone else?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Can I steal his wallet if I think he cheated someone else?
    If you think he cheated someone else? Definitely not.

If you KNOW he cheated someone else? Only if you're going to bring it to the guy he cheated. But honestly, you're opening up a whole different can of worms there, and getting involved in a battle which doesn't involve you. Unless that "someone else" was a really close friend or a family member, I would just leave it there.

Comments

Sanlmar: The ethics of stealing is new ground for me and this clarification is helpful. +1

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom View Post
    Havent checked in here in awhile but after reading this thread the only thing im pondering is does the intensity of a persons autism increase with age. jesus Todd
    Maybe try taking even longer between checkins next time.

You pretty much jumped the shark 10 years ago after jerking off to Martha on cam.
    True, kinda like seinfeld. Wanted to go out at my peak on my own terms.

And on a related note poll needs an option 'get address off his drivers license and while he's still working at the store go over to his house and fuck his wife'

Warm regards

Comments

Dan Druff: much better post

Baron Von Strucker: other post was much better. how does druffs dick

JACKDANIELS: HOF CAMEO

Load Metric
    I THINK YOU NEED TO RUN HIM OVER AND MURDER HIS MOTHER

Load Metric
    That way, he is the one in a real moral quandary when you drop your wallet in front of him

Thread Information