View Poll Results: Vote for EACH scenario below. What would you in each spot?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scenario #1: Return the wallet intact to the store

20 68.97%
  • Scenario #1: Keep the money, toss the rest of the wallet on the ground

5 17.24%
  • Scenario #1: Take the entire wallet home with no intention to return it

2 6.90%
  • Scenario #1: Leave the wallet where it was, take nothing

4 13.79%
  • Scenario #2: Return the wallet intact to the store

14 48.28%
  • Scenario #2: Keep the money, toss the rest of the wallet on the ground

4 13.79%
  • Scenario #2: Take the entire wallet home with no intention to return it

5 17.24%
  • Scenario #2: Leave the wallet where it was, take nothing

5 17.24%
  • Don't know / don't care

1 3.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hypoethetical situation involving lost wallet when the guy who lost it is an asshole

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post
    While we are on the subject of internet badassery, why don't we just confront the person in hypothetical #2 scenario? Is it also a law that we can only get back at the guy by the pussiest imaginable ways while adding shekels to our pile of jew gold?

There's huge difference in whether we think something is personal or not. There's no reason for me to take assumed scamming as something personal so i wont make it personal.

There's so many things in these hypotheticals that only happen to certain individuals. For some reason i can't remember a single incident of a clerk being rude at me. I must be lucky.
    Confront? And do what? Kick his ass?

Are you saying that violence is okay in this situation, but stealing money out of his dropped wallet isn't? If so, LOL.

I wouldn't take it personally. I would (correctly) assume that this was aimed at any victim of convenience, not just me. That doesn't mean I can't re-victimize him when it's on a silver platter for me.

And there's a reason I asked you the additional question as to whether you would return the wallet if the guy had killed your mother. It was to demonstrate how silly your entire argument of, "Always take the high road, always do the right thing" is when it comes to treatment of people who harmed you in some way.

The whole thing is a hypothetical. In reality, there was no scam, there was no wallet, and I was not a victim of any of this. We are discussing "what-ifs", and I'm posing different questions. So now I'm giving you a new one.

We've already established that you would return the wallet to a guy both if he were just very rude to you and if he actually scammed you. So I kicked it up another notch to "What if he killed your mother?", and I'm genuinely curious what the answer would be.

I believe that each human being has a breaking point where they won't do something kind for another human being, if that human has harmed them in some way. Maybe your breaking point is above scamming, and you'd still want to help a scammer to get back his lost wallet. But clearly there is some breaking point where you wouldn't want to help that guy. What is it?

Too many people like to posture on the internet with absolutes.

"I would never do..."

"Under no circumstances would I...."

"It's always the right thing to..."

But that's usually false virtue signaling crap. We are all human, and the way other humans treat us affects the way we treat them. There's nothing wrong with that, and nothing to be ashamed of. So I'd really like to know -- from everyone here who disagrees with me -- at what point would you NOT want to help get this guy his wallet back?
    Exactly how much money or minor inconvenience you think is enough to make you whole if said person had killed your mother? Maybe i'm strange but i don't personally have a number for that. Neither does anything to me regarding retribution. I don't mind returning a wallet to someone i'm going to torture for the next 36 hours.

There isn't a sliding scale for me here. Either i don't care or we're past the point where not returning a wallet would matter at all.

In case you're wondering i feel the same way about scratching car doors with keys. Either i don't care or i'll set that car on fire.

Oh and i don't know what i would do if i'd confront the clerk. That's something that depends on what he's got to say about the situation.

Load Metric
    if I screw over people who scammed me, I sleep great.
    Wow. That makes you petty....and childish. You are no better than the person that scammed you. Ever heard of taking the high road?
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Load Metric
    if I screw over people who scammed me, I sleep great.
    You're probably increasing the chances of them scamming other people. Then again, you have this site which definitely decreases the chances of many scammers scamming again.

Sleeping better because you screwed someone over seems icky though.

Gold
    Load Metric
    It's literally 2019 and you idiots are STILL up in here trying to get Druff to admit he's wrong?

Jesus fucking christ you guys.
    shit·show
    /ˈSHit ˌSHō/
    noun
    1) a situation or event marked by chaos or controversy. 2) This site.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Confront? And do what? Kick his ass?

Are you saying that violence is okay in this situation, but stealing money out of his dropped wallet isn't? If so, LOL.

I wouldn't take it personally. I would (correctly) assume that this was aimed at any victim of convenience, not just me. That doesn't mean I can't re-victimize him when it's on a silver platter for me.

And there's a reason I asked you the additional question as to whether you would return the wallet if the guy had killed your mother. It was to demonstrate how silly your entire argument of, "Always take the high road, always do the right thing" is when it comes to treatment of people who harmed you in some way.

The whole thing is a hypothetical. In reality, there was no scam, there was no wallet, and I was not a victim of any of this. We are discussing "what-ifs", and I'm posing different questions. So now I'm giving you a new one.

We've already established that you would return the wallet to a guy both if he were just very rude to you and if he actually scammed you. So I kicked it up another notch to "What if he killed your mother?", and I'm genuinely curious what the answer would be.

I believe that each human being has a breaking point where they won't do something kind for another human being, if that human has harmed them in some way. Maybe your breaking point is above scamming, and you'd still want to help a scammer to get back his lost wallet. But clearly there is some breaking point where you wouldn't want to help that guy. What is it?

Too many people like to posture on the internet with absolutes.

"I would never do..."

"Under no circumstances would I...."

"It's always the right thing to..."

But that's usually false virtue signaling crap. We are all human, and the way other humans treat us affects the way we treat them. There's nothing wrong with that, and nothing to be ashamed of. So I'd really like to know -- from everyone here who disagrees with me -- at what point would you NOT want to help get this guy his wallet back?
    Exactly how much money or minor inconvenience you think is enough to make you whole if said person had killed your mother? Maybe i'm strange but i don't personally have a number for that. Neither does anything to me regarding retribution. I don't mind returning a wallet to someone i'm going to torture for the next 36 hours.

There isn't a sliding scale for me here. Either i don't care or we're past the point where not returning a wallet would matter at all.

In case you're wondering i feel the same way about scratching car doors with keys. Either i don't care or i'll set that car on fire.

Oh and i don't know what i would do if i'd confront the clerk. That's something that depends on what he's got to say about the situation.
    This is a big cop out answer.

You're avoiding answering where the point is where you'd stop returning the guy's wallet, regarding what he had done to you previously. But you qualify it by saying that you'd do something else a lot worse if the situation called for it, so you wouldn't mind returning the wallet anyway. LOL. Come on. If you're going to do something worse, why return the wallet at all?

The only reason to return the wallet is to help the guy who dropped it.

Not sure why you brought up keying cars. Has nothing to do with this. Since you mentioned it, I've never keyed a car in my life, and have never even considered doing it. However, if someone keyed MY car, and I was 100% certain they were the ones who did it, I wouldn't hesitate to vandalize something they owned in return.

Load Metric

You're avoiding answering where the point is where you'd stop returning the guy's wallet, regarding what he had done to you previously. But you qualify it by saying that you'd do something else a lot worse if the situation called for it, so you wouldn't mind returning the wallet anyway. LOL. Come on. If you're going to do something worse, why return the wallet at all?

Not sure why you brought up keying cars. Has nothing to do with this. Since you mentioned it, I've never keyed a car in my life, and have never even considered doing it. However, if someone keyed MY car, and I was 100% certain they were the ones who did it, I wouldn't hesitate to vandalize something they owned in return.
    Damaging their property in return is a weak response. Better revenge is to (1) file a police report (because it’s a felony), and (2) sue the vandal in small claims court for the damages.

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Mumbles, that all sounds great, but absent of concrete proof (which you rarely have for car keyings), the police won't do anything.

Sometimes, if you're 100% certain that someone has vandalized your property but can't take legal action, you need to take matters into your own hands.

Load Metric

Keying cars is an example of something petty that i've never done and likely never will. It's similar in the sense that there's almost never a reason to do it. Petty shit that's based on schadenfreude and having no skin in the game. I don't really get anything from it, so i don't do it.

Out of all the options in the wallet example leaving the wallet there makes the least sense to me. I literally get nothing from it. I don't know why the clerk was rude to me nor why he tried to "scam" me. Either way i can't see him losing his wallet helping in that. I don't have to automatically assume the worst about him. Maybe his dog died that morning or he's spending all his money to feed the orphans living under a bridge. I don't even have to find out because it takes no time to just return the wallet and move on with my life.

The reason there's no point where as means of getting back to him i'd deprive him of one safe return of aforementioned wallet is still the same. Either it's inconsequential because i don't care enough about any imaginary slight (of personal nature) or it's past the point of doing anything to remedy situation.

Load Metric
    I voted leave the wallet where it is for both options. To steal is wrong, but I wouldn’t waste any of my time and energy to help the twat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

lol @ not identifying the guy yet or pressing charges.

his fucking license place is probably on both the tesla cameras so wtf.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

lol @ not identifying the guy yet or pressing charges.

his fucking license place is probably on both the tesla cameras so wtf.
    I found it super odd that they didn’t show or mention any footage from the rear-facing camera. I thought those were standard on Teslas, but the full sentry mode with camera on all four sides was optional.

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Havent checked in here in awhile but after reading this thread the only thing im pondering is does the intensity of a persons autism increase with age. jesus Todd

Comments

splitthis: Phantom post

Load Metric

Damaging their property in return is a weak response. Better revenge is to (1) file a police report (because it’s a felony), and (2) sue the vandal in small claims court for the damages.

is this a town of 87 people or something? how the fuck does this make the local tv news?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by big dick View Post

is this a town of 87 people or something? how the fuck does this make the local tv news?
    Most likely because it’s a Tesla. Anything “Telsa” these days is probably good TV news copy. When there are 20 automakers regularly selling electric cars, noone will likely care.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom View Post
    Havent checked in here in awhile but after reading this thread the only thing im pondering is does the intensity of a persons autism increase with age. jesus Todd
    Maybe try taking even longer between checkins next time.

You pretty much jumped the shark 10 years ago after jerking off to Martha on cam.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Wish there a way to test this in the field because I would bet any sum of money that at least 2/3 of people wouldn't actually give the wallet back to someone who just scammed them, if no one was watching.

Load Metric
    We all get it Druff, you're obviously right again.

Name:  OK, Whatever You Say.gif
Views: 150
Size:  800.0 KB
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Rest In Peace
    Load Metric
    Wish there a way to test this in the field because I would bet any sum of money that at least 2/3 of people wouldn't actually give the wallet back to someone who just scammed them, if no one was watching.
    i say 85% do not return it......Am i the only one who keeps the $ and mail the wallet/?

Load Metric
    So how much was in the wallet?

Load Metric
    Do you find no value at all in being the better person?

This thread isn't about how you treat your enemies, it's how you think about yourself, and what your conscience feels comfortable letting to get away with.

What kind of person are you? That's what this thread really asks.

Thread Information