Thread: 40 and beyond is the new 30

Load Metric

40 and beyond is the new 30

Back up to the day when Mcenroe was at this peak around 30 this was considered to be old he retired shortly after 30. Today the athlete can play at the peak of their game until 40 and beyond . no one was dominating in their 30s in swimming , Phelp s at age is 33 and planing on swimming in upcoming Olympics he is 33. Lochte who trashed a public bathroom is 36. Tom Brady is 40. George Foreman was in his 50s when he won championship. Federer is almost 40.

I wonder if any above and others used steroids. I was shocked when Bonds hit record home runs at his advanced age. Clemens was another one who pitched in his late 30s but used roids. They disqualified a football player for taking illegal drugs which he used for fertility to have a child which was ridiculous .

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANKRIZZO View Post
    Back up to the day when Mcenroe was at this peak around 30 this was considered to be old he retired shortly after 30. Today the athlete can play at the peak of their game until 40 and beyond . no one was dominating in their 30s in swimming , Phelp s at age is 33 and planing on swimming in upcoming Olympics he is 33. Lochte who trashed a public bathroom is 36. Tom Brady is 40. George Foreman was in his 50s when he won championship. Federer is almost 40.

I wonder if any above and others used steroids. I was shocked when Bonds hit record home runs at his advanced age. Clemens was another one who pitched in his late 30s but used roids. They disqualified a football player for taking illegal drugs which he used for fertility to have a child which was ridiculous .
    On average most athletes take better care of themselves than they used to. They also have access to any nutritionist, doctor and modern medicine they want. I think Lebron has been quoted as spending something like $600k a year on this body.

I think Tom Brady is into yoga which seems to have helped him a ton. Being flexible is an underrated component of physical fitness and something you loss very rapidly with age if you don’t work at it. I assume more and more athletes will take up yoga in the future.

Load Metric
    I forgot about Serena Williams. Todays athletes have better access to exercise , nutrition to turn back the clock on aging without having to cheat thru steroids.

Load Metric
    The wild card for me is height. Kids are just so tall. I’m watching 6’6” Medvedev v Wawrinka

There are a few 6’11” tennis players

Federer, in contrast, is 6’. He is a little guy these days. For his generation he was tall enough to get on the ride.

MLB pitchers are ridiculously tall now. College kids too. It’s a freak show out there.

I have lived by the rule that big guys age badly. Maybe 6’4” - 6’5” is the new normal? We will see.

So there is 6’6” Medvedev all taped up and on anti-inflammatories carrying my money. We will see

Load Metric
    The only sport that is exempt from this fountain of youth is basketball. You don't see many nba players in their mid 30s and beyond.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    The only sport that is exempt from this fountain of youth is basketball. You don't see many nba players in their mid 30s and beyond.
    Just the greats, but they become average players at best and can’t handle not being “the man” anymore so retire.

Interesting enough this thread kind of hits me. I turned 40 last year and I’ve seen a dramatic increase in injuries whenever I do anything physical, can’t ever lift weights anymore without getting injured. Only thing I can still do is run on the treadmill, in decent shape, can fairly easily run 8 miles in an hour. Anyway, I’ve been getting sick of the treadmill grind so I found a YMCA that has consistent pickup games and it’s close to my work. I figured I’d go over there twice a week to get a little different workout. Last Monday, the very first day I went, played 3 pickup games and could barely get out of bed the next day. Back is completely fucked upand I honestly have no clue how it happen. Getting old is shitty.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarefish View Post
    Just the greats, but they become average players at best and can’t handle not being “the man” anymore so retire.

Interesting enough this thread kind of hits me. I turned 40 last year and I’ve seen a dramatic increase in injuries whenever I do anything physical, can’t ever lift weights anymore without getting injured. Only thing I can still do is run on the treadmill, in decent shape, can fairly easily run 8 miles in an hour. Anyway, I’ve been getting sick of the treadmill grind so I found a YMCA that has consistent pickup games and it’s close to my work. I figured I’d go over there twice a week to get a little different workout. Last Monday, the very first day I went, played 3 pickup games and could barely get out of bed the next day. Back is completely fucked upand I honestly have no clue how it happen. Getting old is shitty.
    Maybe try swimming , good aerobically and no wear and tear on your joints.

Load Metric

Endorse this 100%. You only have so many miles on your knees before they expire.

But what good is it if you are 70 and your knees are pain free but you didn’t do shit during your life.

Swimming sucks - most public pools are a chemical health risk

Pickup basketball is a good time.

Platinum
    Load Metric

Eventually I’ll go to this, I need to work on my lap swimming form. For some reason I struggle with the damn breathing. Once I get a little out of rhythm I’m completely screwed and have to stop and start again. Frustrates the hell out of me.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

Endorse this 100%. You only have so many miles on your knees before they expire.

But what good is it if you are 70 and your knees are pain free but you didn’t do shit during your life.

Swimming sucks - most public pools are a chemical health risk

Pickup basketball is a good time.
    Hopefully by the time we’re 70 they will be able to give us new knees that are better than our old ones were on their best day.

Load Metric

Wait until you hit 50. That being said, I run more miles per week than I have ever run when I was younger. But, as you get older, you need more recovery time. And you need to use more caution. And you will need a few extra shakes at the urinal.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerveza Fria View Post

Wait until you hit 50. That being said, I run more miles per week than I have ever run when I was younger. But, as you get older, you need more recovery time. And you need to use more caution. And you will need a few extra shakes at the urinal.
    50 is the new 40

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Most players don't make it to 40 in baseball, and the few who do tend to be a shell of their former selves.

I'm ignoring the obvious roid cases like Bonds and Clemens, where they had a miraculous late career surge of superstardom.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    maybe but 52 is still 52

this shit sucks

Load Metric
    40s can be the 30s, but 50s can't be the 40s, shit really starts breaking down.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    I can't run anymore but Im on the treadmill daily walking, also have a rowing machine.

Load Metric
    Serena Williams (37 years old) and Roger Federer (38 years old) are going to be playing professional tennis well past 40 years old.

Serena got beaten today and Roger Federer got beaten early in the U.S. Open Championship but they will have another shot soon.

Will they win another Grand Slam Championship?

Probably not, they are starting to look old and sluggish.

These younger kids that are 20 years younger are finely starting to beat them.

Load Metric
    I was rooting for Serena, Federer looked injured, Dojko was also injured at 33 he is getting up there also. Nadal 33 also and in finals.
    Last edited by FRANKRIZZO; 09-07-2019 at 07:23 PM.

Thread Information