Thread: Addition by Subtraction: I've improved Advanced Search feature by getting rid of confusing bullshit

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Addition by Subtraction: I've improved Advanced Search feature by getting rid of confusing bullshit

I like vBulletin software in general, but one thing I always hated was the Search feature.

In general, I found the following problems with it:

1) It defaults to "Search Multiple Content Types", which is confusing and never seems to work correctly. This is especially annoying because almost all searches on this site are for forum content.

2) There is a confusing "Search Forums" option which doesn't work as you would expect, and always returns no results. What you really want is "Search Posts", but that's not even the first option.

3) There is a lot of extraneous crap to search, such as Groups, Visitor Messages, etc, that are unlikely to ever be searched.

In order to simplify everything, I have removed all of the extraneous crap from the Advanced Search function, and now it's straightforward and simple to use.

Let me know if you still see any problems with it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I like vBulletin software in general, but one thing I always hated was the Search feature.

In general, I found the following problems with it:

1) It defaults to "Search Multiple Content Types", which is confusing and never seems to work correctly. This is especially annoying because almost all searches on this site are for forum content.

2) There is a confusing "Search Forums" option which doesn't work as you would expect, and always returns no results. What you really want is "Search Posts", but that's not even the first option.

3) There is a lot of extraneous crap to search, such as Groups, Visitor Messages, etc, that are unlikely to ever be searched.

In order to simplify everything, I have removed all of the extraneous crap from the Advanced Search function, and now it's straightforward and simple to use.

Let me know if you still see any problems with it.
    All anyone really cares to know is can you now quickly find out how many times a particular poster has used certain words incorrectly in one post?
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Thread Information