View Poll Results: If you were Mike McDonald, what would you have done in this situation?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Say nothing

2 10.00%
  • Say nothing but write bad review later

5 25.00%
  • Complain, accept reduction to entree pricing

5 25.00%
  • Complain, accept 20% off bill or better

1 5.00%
  • Complain, accept 30% off bill or better

2 10.00%
  • Complain, accept 50% off bill or better

1 5.00%
  • Complain, accept 50% of entree pricing or better

1 5.00%
  • Don't know or care

3 15.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: You order tasting menu, find out at end of meal that all 7 individual (larger) entrees would've been cheaper to order together, what's your play?

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKDANIELS View Post
    not getting tapas in spain in hella dumb yall
    Doesn't even seem possible either. I have spent considerable time in Spain, and it's nearly impossible to avoid a tapas bar unless you don't drink. Which, in that case, sucks.

Load Metric
    I don’t go out of my way to go to tacky bars. I prefer tripping in the sagrada familia and the classic dick pills + south american brothels in valencia.

Load Metric
    KRYPT IS THE SUPREME GENTLEMAN NO TACKY BARS FOR HIM

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by monsterj View Post
    Guy ordered a "tasting menu" at a tapas restaurant? That's incredibly dumb. Easy mark.
    Can't argue with this

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by RS_ View Post
    Idk what I'd do in that situation since I've never been in that situation and I'm probably not getting the entire/whole story or understanding of it (EG: How hard did the waiter push the tasting menu? etc.). I didn't read any of the tweets or most of this thread FWIW.

I would think that at minimum, I'd complain and at least ask for the $11 cheaper price. Depending on how hard the waiter was pushing the bunk order, I'd possibly just leave just no tip. It's possible the waiter is just a retard and didn't know the tasting thing was a shit deal but he was just giving a recommendation in good faith. Obviously if I felt the waiter swindled me, then I wouldn't leave a tip at all. IMO, the stupidest thing to do is leave a smaller tip when you get bad service. Just leave $0. Why would you leave a tip, any tip, for poor service? Excluding a purposely insulting tip, like a few pennies or 50c, which is also acceptable. Sorry but that shit just fucking tilts me when people are like, "I got swindled out of $6 on the bill, so I'm just going to tip $6 fewer!!!"

I'd leave a scathing review (waiter included if I felt it's warranted) at least for the shady/scummy deal they got running there.
    I assume the waiter said something like, "You can order these tapas items individually, but if you're really here for a full meal, what I'd really suggest is the tasting menu. People love it, and you're getting seven chef recommended dishes for you to share."

I actually don't blame the waiter as much as others do. I'm sure he was commanded by the boss above to push this, and his choice to either do this or lose his job. I'm not saying the waiter is an angel (it's shitty to push something you know is a semi-scam, even at your boss' orders), but this is one of those cases where my wrath would be aimed at the ownership, who DEFINITELY knows what they're doing.

This is why I wouldn't pay the entree price and leave it at that. I'd still feel swindled, since it was an intentional trick by ownership. And I don't like giving scammers what they were aiming for, or even a reduced version. At that point, I will pay exactly for what I received, and not a penny more.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This reminds me of an experience I had at a local steakhouse.

The steakhouses around here are mostly shit, but I found a small one nearby which was well liked on the internet. The only issue I could see from reviews was that it was small and incredibly noisy, and basically the atmosphere sucked. However, I heard they had a back room they sometimes opened which was very nice, but it was only opened on some nights.

I went there on my birthday, when the room was available, and indeed the place was very good. However, I noticed on the menu that you could order a "complete meal" instead of the items a la carte. When I added up the elements of the "meal" (the soup/salad, two sides, and the steak), it was always cheaper than the price of the meal. No matter which configuration I did, the individual item ordering came up cheaper. I thought I was missing something, but I asked the waitress, and she said the the portions are the same whether ordered individually rather than as a complete meal. I even tried to point out the price discrepancy, but she didn't understand (and I could tell she wasn't acting).

Anyway, I told everyone at the table, and we all steered clear of the complete meal option. Sure enough, everything was the exact same, just cheaper. Plus you had more flexibility (say, if you wanted no soup/salad, or you wanted just one side instead of two.)

This place was reasonably priced, and in fact they could have charged more for a lot of this stuff and I wouldn't have found it too expensive. So I wasn't even sure if the ownership was trying to scam with this complete meal crap, or if they were just clueless and accidentally set a price which was higher than the items individually. Also, the waitress never pushed it. The complete meal option was just stated on the menu.

I went back there recently and the complete meal thing was gone, so either they figured out the mistake, or people complained and they realized the whole thing was a bad idea.

Thread Information