Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Independent study on Facebook political bias concluded that, yes, they're left-biased

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Independent study on Facebook political bias concluded that, yes, they're left-biased

In a development which surprises few, Facebook was found to be left-biased in their censorship of content on their site, including their supposed suppression of fake news.

John Kyl (yes, THAT John Kyl) was commissioned along with a law firm to do an independent study on the matter, and provide his findings to Facebook.

The eight page report is here: https://fbnewsroomus.files.wordpress...m-report-1.pdf

The most interesting facts from the report:

- Facebook relies upon proven left-leaning "fact checking" sites in order to determine whether news is fake or not. These include Snopes (very left-leaning), Politifact (moderately left-leaning), Factcheck (moderately left-leaning), and Associated Press (moderately left-leaning). Up until recently, there were zero right-leaning or centrist fact checking sites, though they finally included the right-leaning Daily Caller in 2018 in order to counteract a little of the bias.

- Facebook relies upon the heavily left-leaning Southern Poverty Law Center to define "hate speech", and then uses those determinations to remove posts and articles.

- Facebook has an advertising bias which excludes pro-life ads in many cases. However, it is possible that some of this is not intentional, as it sometimes conflicts with their policy not to allow "shock ads", of which pro-life ads sometimes are.

- The hate speech removal policy caused some erroneous removals such as passages from the Bible, the Declaration of Independence, and the writings of St. Augustine.

- The appeals process basically sucks and is totally non-transparent. Most appeals get denied and no reasons are given.

On a side note, I wonder why there isn't a totally centrist fact checking service yet. The service could hire 50 moderate conservatives and 50 moderate liberals, and then have them vote upon whether something is fake or real news. Or something like that.

There are plenty of conservatives who hate fake news, even if it makes them look good. I'm one of those people. I always call out phony articles when on conservative Facebook groups, and chide those who post them. I imagine there are liberals on the other side who also hate pro-left fake news. A fact-checking organization with an actual goal of determining facts (rather than making their "side" look good) would be very valuable in this day and age.

Factcheck and Politifact try to be this, but they still lean left.

Snopes, which does a great job fact-checking viral internet stuff, is super left-biased and should never be used for political fact checking, but people are tricked into believing them because of their good fact-checking rep regarding viral stuff.

Load Metric
    A commission headed by staunch conservative politician provides a load of credibility for their findings on this issue...for conservatives only!

Seriously, Druff. Is this the best you can do? Or is some dark money source paying you to post rightwing hackery on your website?
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    GET HIM

Load Metric
    its as if all these businesses who rely on intelligence, innovation, and hard work have something against the right wing.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    its as if all these businesses who rely on intelligence, innovation, and hard work have something against the right wing.
    Yes, all of these businesses which rely upon abusing the privacy and data of hundreds of millions of average citizens hate the right wing.

Your side should be proud to be aligned with such fine, caring folks.

Load Metric
    Follow the money.

(I said this instictively, as in, it's always about he $. I will now go research this and report back as to most large brain capital instensive, disruptive and innovative businesses today are left leaning to determine whether, yes, it's really about the $).

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    A commission headed by staunch conservative politician provides a load of credibility for their findings on this issue...for conservatives only!

Seriously, Druff. Is this the best you can do? Or is some dark money source paying you to post rightwing hackery on your website?
    This wasn't a self-appointed right wing watchdog group.

Facebook chose and hired these people to do the study.

Much better than hiring a leftist to investigate left-wing bias, whose report would likely conclude, "Lol no bias, nothing to see here, Snopes is totally neutral and fair at all times! Great fact-checking partner!"

Load Metric
    Yes, all of these businesses which rely upon abusing the privacy and data of hundreds of millions of average citizens hate the right wing.

did you hear trump cancelled a visit with denmark cause they wouldn't sell him greenland?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    In a development which surprises a few people including Mumbles...
    FYP

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post

did you hear trump cancelled a visit with denmark cause they wouldn't sell him greenland?

hey remind me was it the left or right wing who voted for donald trump?
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Wars View Post
    Follow the money.

(I said this instictively, as in, it's always about he $. I will now go research this and report back as to most large brain capital instensive, disruptive and innovative businesses today are left leaning to determine whether, yes, it's really about the $).
    OK, it's probably mostly the money.

REASONS BIG HUMAN CAPITAL INTENSIVE SILICON VALLEYISH COMPANIES ARE SO LEFT

1.) Virtue Signaling (eg: Facebook doesn't tolerate conservative ideas that can result in injustices occuring) = Look at that Facebook, they are soooo virtuous and they stand for justice (and they DIDN'T actually say they were great, ahhhh, I admire them more now).

2.) Nuclear families (based more traditional conservative value families were women sometimes stay home to raise kids for part of their lives) can result in women staying out of the workforce at least somewhat. These human capital intensive mega-corps in silicon valley need all the papas AND the mamas to be available for their workforce pools. This way they can attract better skilled workers (nearly double the pool). And the competition for jobs keeps wages in check.

3.) Open borders and mass immigration...more and more and more they will tirelessly push. Yup. More workers for their pools and more customers to boot.

Facebook, Apple, Google...they are just mafia, you know?

Load Metric
    There is a lot to admire in the above statement but this thread is strictly about Facebook.

There is no virtue here.

Edit

Total reflex. I am going retract. Fire away

In my world Facebook armed the Right with the data, tools & Cambridge Analytica style evil.

Trump had no money but he had Facebook & Parscale. Left .. Right... this discussion is nonsense to me

The evil and greed committed against their stupid users is far more egregious than whether they lean left or right.

The FB agenda isn’t political. You got bigger things to worry about when talking about this company.

I’m out. Carry on.

I’m going to buy you a splendid faraday bag ‘tine
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 08-20-2019 at 09:10 PM.

Load Metric
    the irony of Republicans getting mad over Facebook banning fake news

Diamond
    Load Metric
    world class internet troll, thesidedish, said this long time ago

imagine being so worthless u need to be told what to do FU

Diamond
    Load Metric
    "I am god, I am a god internet troll, u should have seen this, I was an egg on twitter the entire time but as soon as a made pro trump avatar I got shadow banned" -thesidedish January 2017

that shit is in the trump thread, get with it u washed up garbage

Diamond
    Load Metric
    druff I will seriously turn out u like its nothing if u act like ur onto something all of sudden

I SWEAR TO GOD I WILL TREAT U LIKE UR VEGAS1369 IF U DONT GIVE ME CREDIT LIKE ONE OF THE BEST INTERNET TROLLS IN THE WORLD HASNT BEEN HERE THE WHOLE TIME FIGHT ME

Diamond
    Load Metric
    WHY WOULD I EVER LIED U FAGGOT, U THINK I GIVE 2 SHITS TO HANG OUT WITH U FAGGOTS I AM GOD U AINT SHIT

Diamond
    Load Metric
    that's why ive always been team tyde. ppl like todd that are always about themselves naturally disgust me, that's why im a political genius

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by thesidedish View Post
    that's why ive always been team tyde. ppl like todd that are always about themselves naturally disgust me, that's why im a political genius
    Don't make me ban you from this thread lol wow style

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by thesidedish View Post
    Don't make me ban you from this thread lol wow style

GIVE ME CREDIT U FAGGOT

why do I get no credit ever FFS everybody is a way behind moron

Thread Information