Thread: In honor of the late larry laffer

Load Metric

In honor of the late larry laffer

Load Metric
    Did Druff read this story on the air Thurs?

A masterpiece

Quote Originally Posted by Drexel View Post
    Very odd Saturday for me so far all the way around.

It started off by me receiving a call from Garett (seriously) at around 8am my time. More on that later.

I didn't want to create more drama on here regarding Larry, so I kept quiet. I was hoping not to have to call him out publicly but my good pal over in Oslo would have none of that.

Larry hit me up on my radio number pretty shortly after he joined pfa. Mostly small talk. He billed himself as being a pfa historian. Knew all the stories of this community dating back to the NWP days.

He was friendly in our correspondences and to be honest I kind of developed a soft spot for the kid. Thought he was a good decent person albeit naive.

During the summer I met him at the Rio to give him $1500 from Cmoney. Introduced him to some real life friends of mine. Had some meals. No issues.

I would say I eventually became some what of a mentor for the kid. Or at least tried to be.

I really didn't want to call him out. Or embarrass him. But he's kind of left me no choice at this point.

Larry is a losing poker player. He called/texted me constantly about his frustration at the poker table. Whether it was limit (mainly 10-20) or NL (1-2,1-3), he just would never win.

I suggested books, playing shorter sessions, playing tighter, booking small wins to get his confidence up but nothing seemed to work.

I literally spent tens of hours on the phone with him giving encouragement and advice.

He told me a story of a specific hand. 10-20 limit. He raised in EP with the AcQc and got 3b by the button. By the river, there were 3 clubs on the unpaired board.

Larry got into a raising battle heads up.

He couldn't wait to scoop what had become a massive pot.

After 8 or 9 raises, Larry was heads up only to see the bad news. His hand was actually the AhQc!!!!!

As his opponent showed his ATc to scoop the massive pot, Larry's heart sunk.

The above hand actually happened. He called me literally in tears recounting it to me.

Anyhow the below is all true. It's not interesting or even funny. But it's truthful and what led to our falling out.

Larry called me one day and said he wanted to come to Vegas and play in The Real Grinders series at the Venetian.

He said (I swear) his mom told him he couldn't use his credit card anymore. He asked me to put the plane ticket on mine and that he would pay me back when he arrived.

I agreed.

A day or two later, he called me and wanted to abort the Real Grinders poker series.

He had seen a post on pfa about members playing at live at the bike and wanted to do that instead.

He asked if I would go with him. Split hotel costs.

I told him in no uncertain terms that maybe I could go but I couldn't commit but he was a big boy and could go on his own/with out me etc.

When he found out that Ryland had reserved a seat for me and not him, Larry was livid.

He thought that I had purposely sabotaged him from getting a seat on live at the bike. I tried to reason and explain Ryland did that without my knowledge. That I most likely wasn't even going. That he could have my seat etc but Larry was having none of that. He really thought I maliciously screwed him out of a seat.

Larry thought that live at the bike was his big break. That people would see him play and it would open doors for him, would present opportunities, staking, sponsorship, etc.

I know. I know. I'm just telling you what happened.

After larry told me to fuck off, I said fine. I asked him to repay me a small amount of money he owed me.

He told me to go fuck myself.

As druff mentioned, he then brought this up to Larry. Larry then told druff to go fuck himself too and that he was never talking to either of us again and he was leaving pfa forever.

All very odd but true.

We may never hear from Larry again, but I'm sure he's out there somewhere, raising and re-raising with 4 to the flush.

zOd

Comments

nunbeater: I know. I know. I'm just telling you what happened.

big dick: god dam that is funny

Jayjami: Lol about giving a shit about being on Live at the Bike

gut: classic

Load Metric
    lol how are things like this apart of this forum

Load Metric
    like when we scam vaughn he 100 percent deserves it and blake needs the money

Load Metric
    I chatted by text with Larry the other day. And while late of this forum, he’s still burning up the streets of Chitown on his bike.

(Be safe out there, good sir!)
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    RIP

Load Metric
    “I suggested ...........playing tighter”.

This is the advice I give every poker player who asks me how to improve their results. No one wants to hear it (including me). I don’t even have to see them play. In 25 years, I’ve met maybe 50 limit hold’em players that play too tight. All of them were slight winners or break even players. Draw your own conclusions. In lower limit O8OB, you can be a slight winner just by being the tightest player at the table. It’s boring a shit though.
    Last edited by Jayjami; 08-19-2019 at 08:58 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post

This is the advice I give every poker player who asks me how to improve their results. No one wants to hear it (including me). I don’t even have to see them play. In 25 years, I’ve met maybe 50 limit hold’em players that play too tight. All of them were slight winners or break even players. Draw your own conclusions. In lower limit O8OB, you can be a slight winner just by being the tightest player at the table. It’s boring a shit though.
    I've found that with "new" Vegas, this is possibly the best way to get drunk for little-to-no cost; sit at 1-2, play tight, get 5-6 drinks, leave ~$20 up or down, or even.

I'm pouring one out for the past days of the empty shitty books, where you had your own personal server for a $20 bet. RIP Imperial Palace.

Load Metric

I 100% agree with this concept. On Mondays and Wednesdays at 9am my local holds a 3-6 limit O8 game with a full kill. The average age is in the 70's most of these guys have been playing this game for years and they love raising and the pots get juicy . I sit in this game like a stone cold rock and its an easy $50.00=$250.00 haul on average . Game usually lasts a few hours cause all these guys get tired real quick .

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

I've found that with "new" Vegas, this is possibly the best way to get drunk for little-to-no cost; sit at 1-2, play tight, get 5-6 drinks, leave ~$20 up or down, or even.

I'm pouring one out for the past days of the empty shitty books, where you had your own personal server for a $20 bet. RIP Imperial Palace.
    If I’m playing no limit in Vegas, I actually prefer the 1/2 games these days. I’m not as serious as I used to be. I can hold my own in the deep stack 2/5 games, but the decisions are so much easier in 1/2, and I don’t even sweat it if I get felted once or twice.

Thread Information