Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Gookieheimowitz View Post
Why don't we bring this full circle with Poker Dealers . I watch guys tip poker dealers every time they win a pot . Does anybody have a rule when it comes to this? For me I tip 1% at $100.00 which means I don't tip very often since I play low limit spread games . When I get called out on it I say this " Does the dealer give me a dollar when I lose a big pot"

I get a ton of dirty looks from dealers and players yet I don't care because I am not there to make friends .

Also when I hit that big Pick 4 ticket last year I tipped the teller $200.00 . She didn't even write the original ticket I used a self service terminal .

As far as food service tipping I go on a scale of how was my service . Example Years ago I was on a date in NYC was at a nice place bill was $300. and change . Waiter was a total dick the whole meal . He got ZERO. Chased me outside and tried to verbally put me down in front of my date . I said this is exactly why you got nothing.

Flip side I recently was out with my girl at a local establishment we ate outside on the patio . Drinks where always full , Bread never empty , The girl never bothered us during the meal. Service to me was on point . Bill $42.00 . I handed her a $100.00 and said have a great night .
In poker, you will go broke if you tip a % of the pot. The tip given to dealers should be something fairly constant (provided you win the hand), and you shouldn't be guilty because you won a big pot and still only throw them $1. A big pot at your table is equivalent to stealing the bllinds at a bigger table, where that dealer also deals.

A better way to think about this: Do you take back previous tips after you lose a big pot? Obviously not. So when you win a big pot, you don't owe them a big tip. Poker is a long series of hands including big losses, medium losses, small losses, small wins, medium wins, and big wins. You will have all of these in a long session, typically, especially at limit games.

$1.00 for a pot $100.00 or more in my game means I am tipping maybe $2.00 a session . I tip nothing on pots below this . It is also a split pot game so in general it has to be a scoop . Yet I see guys getting quartered and still tipping $2-$3.00 LOL