Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59

Thread: Tipping Question

  1. #1

    Tipping Question

    So here is a question for everyone here.

    I am listening to this weeks pod cast where Druff is talking about the tipping on cruise ships. I have only been on a public cruise one time and I do not remember this being on there. I would protest the ever living crap out of it.

    I can't stand when you goto use a credit card and they have it automatically calculated for 15%-33% for you. I have had this happen when you have a party greater than eight and then they automatically want you to give more than the 18% that is a hard 0 for me. I always tell the server, you can thank your 8 party tip policy for making certain that I am not going to tip more than 18%. Yes, it may piss them off but I don't care. I have had them say well that goes to the back of house, to which I say, that is your problem not mine. The most recent one, I had breakfast at a Denny's near Flagstaff and t was 25% and up for the tip amount. I said you know, I don't have to give any tip. Thank you very much.

    I looked at threads on this prior and didn't see anything, but I read about the 82k jackpot and have two things on this. A close friend of mine in Vegas hit an almost 100k jackpot and he was going to tip the dealer the dealer started to bitch about how he was tipping 1k, so he picked up the two purples and put them back in his stack.

    Where are places that you won't tip? Mine are, Vegas Valet's that are 20.00, bad service, hotel maids(come on!), fast food if it isn't full service I won't tip.

    Also I was recently playing a double deck at GVR, ordered water and ice tea. I was more focused on a four way spit two double on a +8 count for 500/hand started to hand the waitress a green asking for change and she went to run off. I was like hold up there, I asked for change and she got snooty with me, I said fine then nothing. Thank you, won the 3k and another 5k on that shoe colored up and left letting the pit boss know why.

    I generally don't like pooled tip's at all.

    I know I am going to get flamed but give your honest opinions.

     
    Comments
      
      JimmyG_415: You could just wrote "I'm a cheap prick" and saved us all sometime. Live on tips, then write something moronic like this.
      
      gut: gtfo fag
    Last edited by OldHoster; 08-18-2019 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Added the GVR

  2. #2
    lol at being such a piece of shit you dont tip 4 bucks on ur 6 dollar dennys food

  3. #3
    I took the family out to a place recently and it was an auto tip for 5 guests or more.

    Never seen it that low before.

  4. #4
    5 auto grat seems very sus

  5. #5
    i feel like ive never seen it below 6

  6. #6
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    4621
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    32,152
    Blog Entries
    2
    I'm not understanding the Denny's thing. There was a mandatory 25% tip there? Huh?

    Regarding the rest, I detest dealers in pit games who think they're automatically entitled to a percentage of your win, not understanding that you're (probably) playing -EV games and are probably a good deal down even when you win a "big hand".

    Funny story about the dealer bitching about getting tipped $1k on some jackpot win, so the guy pulled the tip back. I would have done so, too.

    The cruise ship thing is a bit different. On cruises, the employees are low paid and from poor third world countries, for the most part.

    However, as the cruise lines have all instituted the "auto tip" for around $14 per day per person, now most people don't tip anymore, figuring they already tipped.

    The problem is that this isn't really a tip. The $14 is pocketed by the cruise line, and in fact that's used to allow the cruise to pay them a less-than-maritime-minimum-wage base salary.

    Also -- and this is important -- if you opt out of the $14/day auto tip, they do NOT take it out of the paychecks of the employees. It comes out of the pocket of the cruise line. The employees get fixed pay.

    However, if you dare mention that to another cruiser (whether onboard or on an online discussion forum) that you are considering opting out of the auto-tip, you get a long speech about how you're screwing the hardworking, low-paid employees.

    When you explain that the opting out doesn't actually come out of the pockets of the employees, they either pretend not to understand or tell you that you're wrong.

    When you explain that you're taking the money you're opting out and individually tipping employees you're interfacing with, they shriek, "But what about the behind-the-scenes employees you don't interface with? What about them??"

    You get these sanctimonious responses because people mostly tip to feel good about themselves, not to actually help. So when you shatter their world by telling them that their $14/day cruise ship "tip" is actually being pocketed by the cruise line, they flip out and find every excuse in the book to assure themselves that they're indeed tipping and can still feel good about themselves.

    As much as I like to criticize Europe, they have it right with the tipping culture, which has gotten out of control in the US.

    Tipping culture is stupid.

    Employees should be paid a proper wage for their position, and then not expected to be receiving tips.

    The problem is that it's very hard to bring up this topic without people acting like you're a heartless asshole.

  7. #7
    bro you should criticize ur life for going on cruises the tips are not the problem

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I'm not understanding the Denny's thing. There was a mandatory 25% tip there? Huh?
    It wasn't mandatory, but the minimum on the auto tip, and hey didn't have an option to enter 15-20%.

    I agree Europe does have it right! Everyone should be paid correctly.

    On the cruise thing, I did tip the staff, but I hate it when it is automatically entered, and you are right it does go to the companies.

    I am in the technology business and pretty much the only tip we ever get is can you help with x more etc.

    My first wife and I had three new car dealerships and has anyone ever tipped a technician or a car salesman? Funny thing is so many times the salesman doesn't decide the price, and if they work the sales manager better they actually lose money.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by lol wow View Post
    bro you should criticize ur life for going on cruises the tips are not the problem
    LOL, I forgot, but I have actually been on two public cruises. One was a singles cruise after my first wife passed, a friend bought it for me. It was a total shit show, really long story.

    The other was a cruise that we went on and it benefited a cancer charity that we had sponsored.

    That being said I do go on the ocean fairly often, I have a decent sized sport fish and we fish at least a couple of tournaments a year. A family member has a boat that he ships all over the world and I try to stay a week or two on it each year.

  10. #10
    if you refuse to tip your server a proper amount that you otherwise would have because you feel slighted by a software decision made by owners and management, you are an asshole, pretty much. You are helping nobody but your own wallet, you are not sending any message to the people who can actually change such settings, you are hurting the people who actually need that money, and you feel self-righteous about it when you do it. That's asshole behavior, if you think about it. All the benefits of the lower prices that you get because of the low wages paid, but less of the costs because you cut back on the tip.

    'I'm rebelling against an unjust system of wages!' Yeah, by punishing the lowest paid server who has no say in any of this.
    @CursedDiamonds on twitter

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHoster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I'm not understanding the Denny's thing. There was a mandatory 25% tip there? Huh?
    It wasn't mandatory, but the minimum on the auto tip, and hey didn't have an option to enter 15-20%.
    what is the "auto tip", cause it sounds like you're talking about the standard line informing the customer what is 15%, 20%, 25% of the total bill, etc.

    it sounds like because they didn't tell you what 15% was (which is an outrageously low tip), you refused to do simple mathematics

  12. #12
    Why don't we bring this full circle with Poker Dealers . I watch guys tip poker dealers every time they win a pot . Does anybody have a rule when it comes to this? For me I tip 1% at $100.00 which means I don't tip very often since I play low limit spread games . When I get called out on it I say this " Does the dealer give me a dollar when I lose a big pot"

    I get a ton of dirty looks from dealers and players yet I don't care because I am not there to make friends .

    Also when I hit that big Pick 4 ticket last year I tipped the teller $200.00 . She didn't even write the original ticket I used a self service terminal .

    As far as food service tipping I go on a scale of how was my service . Example Years ago I was on a date in NYC was at a nice place bill was $300. and change . Waiter was a total dick the whole meal . He got ZERO. Chased me outside and tried to verbally put me down in front of my date . I said this is exactly why you got nothing.

    Flip side I recently was out with my girl at a local establishment we ate outside on the patio . Drinks where always full , Bread never empty , The girl never bothered us during the meal. Service to me was on point . Bill $42.00 . I handed her a $100.00 and said have a great night .

  13. #13
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    4621
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    32,152
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by lol wow View Post
    bro you should criticize ur life for going on cruises the tips are not the problem
    bro cruises can be great if you know what to expect and not to expect from them, and if you do it right and not shove a family of 4 into an inside cabin and then cheap out and refuse to pay the small upgrade fee to eat better dinners

     
    Comments
      
      Tellafriend:

  14. #14
    bro are there really good dinners when your just mashing frozen crabs legs paired with pepsi

    also this needs to be addressed now tipping is very simple its 20 percent every time the fact you have 50 year olds on this website who cant grasp this concept is fucking mindblowing

  15. #15
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    4621
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    32,152
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Gookieheimowitz View Post
    Why don't we bring this full circle with Poker Dealers . I watch guys tip poker dealers every time they win a pot . Does anybody have a rule when it comes to this? For me I tip 1% at $100.00 which means I don't tip very often since I play low limit spread games . When I get called out on it I say this " Does the dealer give me a dollar when I lose a big pot"

    I get a ton of dirty looks from dealers and players yet I don't care because I am not there to make friends .

    Also when I hit that big Pick 4 ticket last year I tipped the teller $200.00 . She didn't even write the original ticket I used a self service terminal .

    As far as food service tipping I go on a scale of how was my service . Example Years ago I was on a date in NYC was at a nice place bill was $300. and change . Waiter was a total dick the whole meal . He got ZERO. Chased me outside and tried to verbally put me down in front of my date . I said this is exactly why you got nothing.

    Flip side I recently was out with my girl at a local establishment we ate outside on the patio . Drinks where always full , Bread never empty , The girl never bothered us during the meal. Service to me was on point . Bill $42.00 . I handed her a $100.00 and said have a great night .
    In poker, you will go broke if you tip a % of the pot. The tip given to dealers should be something fairly constant (provided you win the hand), and you shouldn't be guilty because you won a big pot and still only throw them $1. A big pot at your table is equivalent to stealing the bllinds at a bigger table, where that dealer also deals.

    A better way to think about this: Do you take back previous tips after you lose a big pot? Obviously not. So when you win a big pot, you don't owe them a big tip. Poker is a long series of hands including big losses, medium losses, small losses, small wins, medium wins, and big wins. You will have all of these in a long session, typically, especially at limit games.

  16. #16
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    4621
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    32,152
    Blog Entries
    2
    Of course if shoeshine box is dealing to me, I'm gonna tip bigger, but that's because he's awesome.

    Unfortunately he usually only deals to me in tournaments.

  17. #17
    gambling tips and restaurant tips are in such a different universe they should not be in the same thread

  18. #18
    also where are we vis a vis on getting you renamed minnesota fats it should have 100 percent happened by now

  19. #19
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    4621
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    32,152
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by lol wow View Post
    gambling tips and restaurant tips are in such a different universe they should not be in the same thread
    That's kinda true.

    Some dealers are way more entitled than restaurant servers, because the expected tip at restaurants is fairly well defined, whereas in gambling circles it isn't.

    Speaking of restaurants, it pisses me off when people say, "I always tip, even if the server is a rude asshole to me", as if that makes them some sort of great person.

    No, it makes you a chump.

    If a server is a rude asshole to you, he deserves both zero point zero tip and a complaint to the manager.

    I'm talking about actual full on rudeness or nasty remarks, not just a server who is brusque or unfriendly. I'll tolerate those and still tip normally. But if the server gets nasty or confrontational with me, 100% they get a big zero plus a complaint.

    If you still feel guilty about not tipping in that spot, take the money you saved and donate it to your favorite charity, or give it to a friend who is struggling financially. Don't give it to an asshole just because it makes you feel like a good person for doing so.

  20. #20
    i honestly dont ask for alot but this place saying poker fraud alert presented by minnesota fats would possibly make my year

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Casino tipping question
    By Dan Druff in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 03-26-2019, 11:06 AM
  2. tipping @ all inclusive
    By mulva in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-08-2016, 09:40 PM
  3. Uber Tipping
    By Charham in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-30-2016, 10:52 AM
  4. WSOP Tipping Poll
    By Jayjami in forum 2014 World Series of Poker
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-24-2014, 07:36 PM
  5. Tipping on a carry out order??
    By NaturalBornHustler in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 08-05-2013, 04:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •