Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOF Troll Alert: Rename 5th Ave between 56th & 57th street for Obama

Load Metric

HOF Troll Alert: Rename 5th Ave between 56th & 57th street for Obama

With nearly 300,000 signatures, there's a petition to rename 5th Ave in NYC between 56th & 57th Ave for a very famous recent president. The fact that Trump Tower would have a new address is of course purely coincidental. https://petitions.moveon.org/sign/re...ifth-avenue-in

Comments

MumblesBadly: LOL!

Load Metric
    Renaming a street in NYC is just symbolic. They would add a sign underneath the 5th ave sign and there would be a ceremony but that's pretty much it. His address would still be 5th Avenue.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    They would add a sign underneath the 5th ave sign and there would be a ceremony
    Would a certain dignitary be in attendance?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    Renaming a street in NYC is just symbolic. They would add a sign underneath the 5th ave sign and there would be a ceremony but that's pretty much it. His address would still be 5th Avenue.
    I know little about NYC, but I was about to post something similar to this.

I couldn't imagine that major streets in NYC could simply be changed via petition. Changing a major street name has all kinds of impacts to the citizens and to local commerce.

There was one amusing street name change in my area in the '80s and '90s.

Compton Blvd stretched a long way east-west in southern California, between Redondo Beach and Bellflower. Once it reached Manhttan Beach, the final city to the west before the ocean, it was called "Marine Avenue" -- the original name of the street in that city dating back to around 1900.

In 1986, the city of Paramount, which is immediately east of Compton, changed their section of "Compton Blvd" to "Somerset Blvd". At the time, the excuse given by Paramount was that it was to give their city "its own identity" because too many people had confused it as being part of Compton. Of course, this was BS, and the main reason was because the city of Compton was increasingly known for its gang violence, and Paramount want to disassociate from it.

Then Eazy E and NWA hit the scene, releasing the controversial and successful "Straight Outta Compton" gangsta rap album in 1988. This made Compton into an international symbol of southern California poverty and gang violence.

This album had an immediate effect on the other cities still with "Compton Blvd", especially real estate near Compton Blvd, where prospective buyers would sometimes erroneously assume the properties to be in a bad neighborhood.

Just two months later, three cities proposed to change the name -- Hawthorne, Lawndale, and Gardena.

A few months after that, in 1989, the deed was done. Compton Blvd in those cities became "Marine Avenue", copying the name the street always had in Manhattan Beach. A tiny 1-mile stretch of Compton Blvd still existed in the area, in Redondo Beach. A year later, Redondo also changed the name to Marine.

It remains that way today.

Compton Blvd now only exists in Compton itself. It had previously run east-west from Redondo Beach to Gardena, at which point it ended, but there was a second segment of it in Compton and Paramount, barely reaching the border of Bellflower. Now all of it is either "Marine" or "Somerset" except for the segment in Compton.

I first started driving in early 1988, so I noticed the change and laughed about it. Even as a 16-year-old who didn't know the whole story, it was obvious to me why it was done.

Load Metric
    Still, Trump towers over Obama.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by RS_ View Post
    And Obama did goad Trump into running with that blistering takedown at the annual White House Correspondents dinner four years earlier.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RS_ View Post
    And Obama did goad Trump into running with that blistering takedown at the annual White House Correspondents dinner four years earlier.
    You mean the "blistering takedown" which professional comedy writers wrote for him, right down to the mic drop?

Load Metric

You mean the "blistering takedown" which professional comedy writers wrote for him, right down to the mic drop?
    Jon Lovett wrote it, didn't he?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Nothing new there. It's the norm. Not many politicians are blessed with comedic talents.
    Obama, however, did well with the delivery and at least showed up for the event unlike
    Trump who has no apparent sense of humour.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Anyone who is familiar with the comedy world knows that delivery is what ultimately matters.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

Nothing new there. It's the norm. Not many politicians are blessed with comedic talents.
    Obama, however, did well with the delivery and at least showed up for the event unlike
    Oh I know that major politicians almost always have ghost writers for things like this, but I just got so sick of this being shared on Facebook as an example of Obama's "brutal wit" when he was just repeating someone else's words.

Yes, he did a great job on the delivery, but that was the strength which got him elected in the first place. He's an excellent and charismatic speaker. This is why there were so many "teleprompter" jokes about him from the right.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, though. I don't think Obama is a bad person. I'll also admit that he's a very smart guy.

He just wasn't a good leader, and he made a lot of stupid mistakes along the way. One of his biggest problems in leadership was his unwillingness to face problems within his own organization. Some insiders derisively referred to him as "No Drama Obama", because he refused to listen to internal criticism about cabinet members or others working for him. This led to disasters such as the healthcare.gov debacle, and many other things.

He also mishandled Iran about as badly as one could.

Comments

MumblesBadly: JESUS FUCKING CHRIST! KEEP ON TOPIC! THIS ISN’T A THREAD TO DEBATE OBAMA’S PERFORMANCE AS PRESIDENT! GO BACK TO THE ORIGINAL POST AND FOR ONCE TAKE YOUT HEAD OUT OF YOUR PARTISAN ASS.

Load Metric

Oh I know that major politicians almost always have ghost writers for things like this, but I just got so sick of this being shared on Facebook as an example of Obama's "brutal wit" when he was just repeating someone else's words.

Yes, he did a great job on the delivery, but that was the strength which got him elected in the first place. He's an excellent and charismatic speaker. This is why there were so many "teleprompter" jokes about him from the right.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, though. I don't think Obama is a bad person. I'll also admit that he's a very smart guy.

He just wasn't a good leader, and he made a lot of stupid mistakes along the way. One of his biggest problems in leadership was his unwillingness to face problems within his own organization. Some insiders derisively referred to him as "No Drama Obama", because he refused to listen to internal criticism about cabinet members or others working for him. This led to disasters such as the healthcare.gov debacle, and many other things.

my biggest complaint about obama is that he didnt actually solve a single problem i can think of. but i also get that its pretty much a slam dunk if you can go 8 years without trashing the economy, creating a race riot, or spawning an islamic caliphate.

regarding his wit, the points get awarded for who he chooses to ghostwrite for him, not whether or not he writes it himself. taste is, in and of itself, a form of wit.

and in the red corner...

Comments

MumblesBadly: Julia Roberts wants her lips back.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine
    i also get that its pretty much a slam dunk if you can go 8 years without trashing the economy, creating a race riot, or spawning an islamic caliphate.
    He destroyed long-improving race relations when he took sides in the Ferguson shooting and other sensitive racial matters, which also caused a reversal in the downward trend in violent crime which we have yet to get back on track.

He called rapidly-growing ISIS "the JV team" when asked if they were a concern regarding future terror attacks against the US and its interests.

But yeah, he didn't trash the economy, though he took office when it was at its low point following the 08 banking/housing crash, so the only way to go was up.

Comments

MumblesBadly: FFS! AGAIN, NOT THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

The thing about Presidents is they all start out as rookies. No real experience being the big guy.

Many have said and I agree that as the first black Predident there was a lot of hope from many
    that he would be the one to right the wrongs of the past. But many were also saying/thinking,
    just don't blow it. I have no idea whether this crossed his mind. He did put his foot forward in some areas,
    and kept a level head. By doing so didn't hurt the chances of other minority candidates to follow

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Bonus Obama fact:

When Mitt Romney stated his concern about Russia during a debate, Obama thought he was so clever by responding, "The 1980s called. It wants its foreign policy back."

Yeah, how stupid of Romney to think that Russia might end up being a problem during the 2010s.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    He destroyed long-improving race relations when he took sides in the Ferguson shooting and other sensitive racial matters, which also caused a reversal in the downward trend in violent crime which we have yet to get back on track.
    What do you mean? I thought violent crime was basically at it's low?

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...me-in-the-u-s/

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Unlike many other Republicans, I wasn't rooting for Obamacare to fail.

Why?

Because that was going to be my healthcare. I would rather have good healthcare and let Democrats take credit for it than have shitty healthcare and be able to bash Obama for it.

Also, unlike many other Republicans, I didn't hate the whole concept of Obamacare. I had long seen a problem in the individual healthcare market to where it had become a game of "roll and re-roll" between individuals and insurance companies. Many individuals would forego getting healthcare and save the monthly premium, and then suddenly sign up when they suspected (or were diagnosed with) a major costly health problem, and lying about it, thus fucking the insurance companies. On the flip side, insurance companies were super paranoid about this occurring, and were denying paying for super-expensive procedures and operations based on incredibly flimsy "evidence" that the individual had hidden a pre-existing condition.

So when Obama rolled out the idea of the mandate that everyone have health insurance, I wasn't against it. It sounded fair. Assholes could no longer screw insurance companies by only signing up when needing expensive procedures done, and insurance companies could no longer deny people (or even worse, retroactively deny people) due to supposed pre-existing conditions.

However, the planned implementation of it seemed incredibly flawed in many ways, and I was very concerned the whole thing would be a fail. I was right. While it's no longer as bad as it was at first, finding new doctors who take my plan is an incredible challenge. Every time I look for a doctor in a certain specialty, they either don't take my plan, don't take new patients, or are poorly rated. If I wanted to go to shit doctors with terrible reviews, I could easily find someone to see me, but to find anyone of decent quality is an hours-long undertaking each time. Even finding a general doctor was super-tough, and I was actually considering going to one 30 miles away because he was the only one who was decent rated, took my plan, and was seeing new patients. Then I found basically the only one in the entire area (about 10 miles from me) who was good, available, and took my insurance, and he's who I've been seeing.

Every time I come up with a new health issue and need to find someone good to see, my first thought is, "Shit, I totally don't want to go through hours of searching again."

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by monsterj View Post
    What do you mean? I thought violent crime was basically at it's low?

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...me-in-the-u-s/
    I know you like to say you're a conservative, but oddly I sometimes see you spewing Democratic talking points, including statistical tricks.

This is one of them.

The report above is correct that violent crime is MUCH lower today than it was in 1993. In fact, 1993 wasn't even the peak. The peak of violent crime in the US was in 1990, partially due to gang violence being at an all-time high, but all types of violent crime were just way up for unknown reasons, and had been trending upward for decades.

Then, starting in 1991, it started to decline. Year after year, it declined, with every single year being less than the one before. By 2013, it had fallen for 23 straight years, and violent crime was far lower than it had been in a very long time.

So what's my point?

During the 2016 campaign, Trump and the right were citing the uptick in crime which occurred shortly after Obama (and the mainstream media) took sides in the Ferguson shooting controversy. The uptick continued, especially in cities like Chicago, Detroit, and Baltimore, which had always had a lot of crime, but had become noticeably worse since Ferguson.

Hillary and the Democrats responded with an incredibly misleading statement that "Crime is much lower today than it was in 2006", and posted side-by-side statistics to "prove" it.

Well, yeah. But that wasn't the point Trump was raising. The point was that crime had been going DOWN for 23 straight years (across several Presidential Administrations of both parties), and then that fortunate trend ended and abruptly reversed due to the intentional stoking of racial tensions by Obama and the Democrats.

So even though crime in 2016 was far lower than 2006, it was going the wrong direction.

Look at this image from your article:

This is a poor graph with (intentionally?) blank individual year markers, but look at the one on the left. Aside from that weird small rise in crime in what looks like a single year in the '00s (which I had never heard about before), it was a steady decline, and then a sudden reversal near the end of the graph, which presumably is 2014. And notice it's still going up.

That's the important thing here. Forget all of the other noise, and the highly misleading comparisons to the '90s.

Load Metric
    The point was that crime had been going DOWN for 23 straight years (across several Presidential Administrations of both parties), and then that fortunate trend ended and abruptly reversed due to the intentional stoking of racial tensions by Obama and the Democrats.
    you're kind of a lunatic.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    The point was that crime had been going DOWN for 23 straight years (across several Presidential Administrations of both parties), and then that fortunate trend ended and abruptly reversed due to the intentional stoking of racial tensions by Obama and the Democrats.
    Google "Ferguson effect".

This is real, not some bullshit cooked up by right wing extremists.

I don't feel like looking it up again, but even some academic who wrote a scathing paper debunking the Ferguson Effect looked at it again about 2 years later, and then conceded that it probably had some merit after all.

It's not even hard to see how this has happened.

Police are afraid to do their jobs now, since the public narrative is that they're racist and looking to abuse black people.

And by "afraid to do their jobs", I'm referring to more preventative measures, such as giving a hard time to gang members milling about the neighborhood, or whatever.

Related to this, these types of criminals are also less fearful of police. There are lots of videos out there of police being harassed by thugs and being afraid to do anything about it. Law-abiding black people in bad neighborhoods have complained that the thug element in their neighborhood is much more brazen and less concerned about police in recent years.

You don't live in this type of neighborhood, nor do I, so we don't see this occur. But it's happening.

It would be a tremendous coincidence that the reversal of the 23-year downward trend in violent crime happened very shortly after the Ferguson incident.

And you know what? The biggest victims (by far) of this whole thing are inner-city minorities. Most of them just want to obey the law and live their lives peacefully, and a small percentage of the population there is committing a large percentage of the crimes. When crime gets worse there, they all suffer immensely, and the Democrats don't care, because they get their vote anyway.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post

Google "Ferguson effect".

This is real, not some bullshit cooked up by right wing extremists.

see its confusing because the only place i see anyone at all mentioning this is in a post cooked up on a 9th tier right wing extremist site.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Thread Information