Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: I will be playing some new events at WSOP 2020

  1. #1
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    4621
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    32,152
    Blog Entries
    2

    I will be playing some new events at WSOP 2020

    After 11 straight WSOPs (2005-2015) as strictly a holdem player, I introduced Omaha Hi-Low games into my rotation.

    It has mostly been a success:

    2016: $1500 O8 - No cash
    2017: $1500 Mixed Omaha (PLO8/O8/Big O) - No cash
    2018: $1500 O8 - Deep cash
    2018: $1500 PLO8 - Min cash
    2018: $10k O8 - No cash
    2018: $1500 Mixed Omaha - No cash
    2019: $1500 O8 - No cash
    2019: $1500 Mixed Omaha - Min cash
    2019: $1500 PLO8 - Deep cash
    2019: $10k O8- No cash

    So I've cashed 4 out of 10 times, with two of them deep.

    I also was the stone bubble in a WSOP Circuit ring event in O8, and was a few off the bubble in an O8 LAPC event -- the only two I played outside of the WSOP.

    I've decided to expand further and play the following in 2020, schedule permitting:

    $1500 HORSE
    $1500 Stud
    $1500 Eight Game
    $1500 Stud8
    $1500 2-7 Triple Draw
    $2500 Mixed O8/Stud8

  2. #2
    Gold Bootsy Collins's Avatar
    Reputation
    125
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    2,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    After 11 straight WSOPs (2005-2015) as strictly a holdem player, I introduced Omaha Hi-Low games into my rotation.

    It has mostly been a success:

    2016: $1500 O8 - No cash
    2017: $1500 Mixed Omaha (PLO8/O8/Big O) - No cash
    2018: $1500 O8 - Deep cash
    2018: $1500 PLO8 - Min cash
    2018: $10k O8 - No cash
    2018: $1500 Mixed Omaha - No cash
    2019: $1500 O8 - No cash
    2019: $1500 Mixed Omaha - Min cash
    2019: $1500 PLO8 - Deep cash
    2019: $10k O8- No cash

    So I've cashed 4 out of 10 times, with two of them deep.

    I also was the stone bubble in a WSOP Circuit ring event in O8, and was a few off the bubble in an O8 LAPC event -- the only two I played outside of the WSOP.

    I've decided to expand further and play the following in 2020, schedule permitting:

    $1500 HORSE
    $1500 Stud
    $1500 Eight Game
    $1500 Stud8
    $1500 2-7 Triple Draw
    $2500 Mixed O8/Stud8
    Have you been playing any mixed games at Commerce? The last time I walked through the Stud section at the Bike it looked like about half of the players could have keeled over and died any second.

  3. #3
    Take away the Mixed 8 game and the 2-7

    Stud 8 requires the most skill of all the poker variations . This is why you see the same guys at the top every year . You seem to have caught on very well with the Omaha 8 game . Obviously PLO8 plays way different . Looking forward to 2020 now . You should have been playing Horse all along. Straight Stud and Razz are what kill most people in that game .

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Gookieheimowitz View Post
    Take away the Mixed 8 game and the 2-7

    Stud 8 requires the most skill of all the poker variations . This is why you see the same guys at the top every year . You seem to have caught on very well with the Omaha 8 game . Obviously PLO8 plays way different . Looking forward to 2020 now . You should have been playing Horse all along. Straight Stud and Razz are what kill most people in that game .
    imo, HE is what dooms most ppl, then razz.. then O8...7e is hardest yes.

  5. #5
    Druff is not looking for any sort of coaching or feedback.

    He is establishing an alibi.

    I got ya, Druff.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Druff is not looking for any sort of coaching or feedback.

    He is establishing an alibi.

    I got ya, Druff.


    Not looking to coach LOL! I know he is very capable of analyzing his own game. I was just giving my opinion or an outsiders look at what he is doing and where I think he might be weak. We all know he can play all the games in HORSE well. I think branching into 2-7 or 8 game might cut his edge down a bit. Stud8 is a beast all on it's own. I am looking forward already to 2020 .

  7. #7
    The $1.5k 8game mix is one of my favorite tournaments of the WSOP. I've played it twice, making it deep into Day1 both time but no cash.

    I didn't get to play it this year as I was dealing the WSOP, but I plan on playing that event for sure in 2020.

  8. #8
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    4621
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    32,152
    Blog Entries
    2
    Aside from the $2500 O8/Stud8, all of those listed in my post above are $1500 events. There's a reason for that. $1500 events tend to attract a lot of rec players and pros who lack skill in that variant.

    $1500 events also attract bigger fields, where you can still cash without winning a ton of hands. In smaller fields, you have to do more winning and less surviving. I'm not saying that I will be going for min cashes, but it does give me another way to still cash if I'm not running all that great. (Look at how far I made it in this year's Main when I only had one half-day hot streak the entire event.)

    I will be getting more practice in these games before May 2020, to where I feel I'm ready to play these events. Anything I don't think I'm ready to play at $1500 WSOP level competition, I won't play them.

    There's also a scheduling issue. Since I have a kid, I can't just take off for 7 weeks straight for the entire WSOP. This year I was there 4.5 of the 7 weeks, but a week of that was the long Main Event. Usually what I do now is take one trip early in the series, and one later in the series, and skip the middle of June. So the events I listed will need to fall in the right spot, and they'll need to not interfere with other events I want to play more.

    For sure I'm not missing the $1500 O8, $1500 PLO8, $1500 Mixed Omaha, or the $1500 Limit Holdem.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Aside from the $2500 O8/Stud8, all of those listed in my post above are $1500 events. There's a reason for that. $1500 events tend to attract a lot of rec players and pros who lack skill in that variant.

    $1500 events also attract bigger fields, where you can still cash without winning a ton of hands. In smaller fields, you have to do more winning and less surviving. I'm not saying that I will be going for min cashes, but it does give me another way to still cash if I'm not running all that great. (Look at how far I made it in this year's Main when I only had one half-day hot streak the entire event.)

    I will be getting more practice in these games before May 2020, to where I feel I'm ready to play these events. Anything I don't think I'm ready to play at $1500 WSOP level competition, I won't play them.

    There's also a scheduling issue. Since I have a kid, I can't just take off for 7 weeks straight for the entire WSOP. This year I was there 4.5 of the 7 weeks, but a week of that was the long Main Event. Usually what I do now is take one trip early in the series, and one later in the series, and skip the middle of June. So the events I listed will need to fall in the right spot, and they'll need to not interfere with other events I want to play more.

    For sure I'm not missing the $1500 O8, $1500 PLO8, $1500 Mixed Omaha, or the $1500 Limit Holdem.

    As you know I followed you all throughout the 2019 series and I think you are and did play some of the best poker you have in years. Branching out into the other variants is going to be a great rail come next year.

  10. #10
    Bronze
    Reputation
    18
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Appleton, WI
    Posts
    91
    Druff,

    How or where are you able to practice these kind of games?

    Peace,

    Hozer11

  11. #11
    Gold MrTickle's Avatar
    Reputation
    338
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    1,234
    Iím planning on coming to Vegas for the series next year (my first time) and will mainly play mixed games too. Iím actually very glad itís at the Rio for this reason too - happy to have an experience there before it goes.

  12. #12
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    4621
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    32,152
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Hozer11 View Post
    Druff,

    How or where are you able to practice these kind of games?

    Peace,

    Hozer11
    That's actually a good question. I thought these went more than they did.

    Aside from SWC which I'm not playing for obvious reasons, are there any sites which spread mix games, or LA card rooms which do so?

    Looking for low-mid limits. Not going to jump into 100-200 right away, which I know goes sometimes at Commerce. I can play the Holdem and Omaha portions well enough in those big games, but the rest not at the moment.

  13. #13
    Gold ftpjesus's Avatar
    Reputation
    313
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    2,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hozer11 View Post
    Druff,

    How or where are you able to practice these kind of games?

    Peace,

    Hozer11
    That's actually a good question. I thought these went more than they did.

    Aside from SWC which I'm not playing for obvious reasons, are there any sites which spread mix games, or LA card rooms which do so?

    Looking for low-mid limits. Not going to jump into 100-200 right away, which I know goes sometimes at Commerce. I can play the Holdem and Omaha portions well enough in those big games, but the rest not at the moment.
    I thought Micon and a few others used to play mixed at the New Orleans... I can also tell you if you take a trip this way to AZ.. Talking Stick runs 40-80 mixed non stop and depending on the regs which include DonkeyBomber and Nov 9er Jake Balsinger they've been known to play higher I believe 80-160 has run before obviously its a one table game as not many have the roll or desire to play what is the closest to nosebleed in this state which still tries to pretend spread limit doesn't play like NLHE really given the buyin and bet caps.. (they should just change the laws on cash games and be done with it since its only Holdem that plays different cash vs tournament bet rules).
    <This Ad Space for Rent or Sale>

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hozer11 View Post
    Druff,

    How or where are you able to practice these kind of games?

    Peace,

    Hozer11
    That's actually a good question. I thought these went more than they did.

    Aside from SWC which I'm not playing for obvious reasons, are there any sites which spread mix games, or LA card rooms which do so?

    Looking for low-mid limits. Not going to jump into 100-200 right away, which I know goes sometimes at Commerce. I can play the Holdem and Omaha portions well enough in those big games, but the rest not at the moment.

    ACR runs a Stud8 tourney every day and PLO8 tournaments . Nothing in the limit variants for tournaments. Limit O8 gets going sometimes. If I was going to practice it would be in tournaments since that's what you will be playing in 2020.

    The Stud8 tournament at ACR is extremely tough and there are a majority of very good players . I've played it many times and for a $15.00 buy in it plays tougher than the Sunday $215 ever did on stars. I guess there just isn't many Stud8 players left and who is left plays the game almost perfect.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Playing in any events not listed here? Post in this thread
    By Dan Druff in forum 2018 World Series of Poker
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-06-2018, 10:03 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2018, 12:04 AM
  3. Big blind ante at 8 events at 2018 WSOP
    By Dan Druff in forum 2018 World Series of Poker
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2018, 03:26 AM
  4. Deja vu in Wisconsin?!? WSOP circuit event cancelled with 48 hours notice
    By PokerPrince2 in forum Scams, Scandals, and Shadiness
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-30-2017, 04:52 PM
  5. Watch WSOP 2012 Events Live Streaming
    By SixToedPete in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 180
    Last Post: 07-02-2012, 11:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •