Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post

Punitive damages go to the state always. Compensatory goes to the victims. The theory behind punitive is it's a punishment and the victim doesn't have the right to punish but the state does.

Wonder what kind of shape his will was in.

This guy was EXTREMELY wealthy. It sounded like he might of controlled over 100 million in apartments alone in NYC. He tipped well I read. This guy was a true .01%er in terms of wealth and it all appears to be unexplained.

The fight to make his will public, etc will be interesting. This guy had unexplained wealth on another level.

Can't speak as to every state obv, but in all of the states I'm familiar with the plaintiff can get some portion of the punitives, though a large portion of them are taxed and/or go to the State.

Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

Punitive damages go to the state always. Compensatory goes to the victims. The theory behind punitive is it's a punishment and the victim doesn't have the right to punish but the state does.

This guy was EXTREMELY wealthy. It sounded like he might of controlled over 100 million in apartments alone in NYC. He tipped well I read. This guy was a true .01%er in terms of wealth and it all appears to be unexplained.

The fight to make his will public, etc will be interesting. This guy had unexplained wealth on another level.
Who amonst us expects true justice....? The guy was offed in federal prison. Even if he directed someone to deliver a fatal needle it's all the same. It's untenable corruption. Joe average is a sucker at this point. The most guilty are not brought to trial. The rich have their way. I have no faith whatsoever in true justice.

You might as well revolt now....Fuck the idiots going after Walmart shoppers, direct your attention on the worst people in society.....those in power......shoot because you cannot miss

In a world that O.J. walks, just fucking forget it

It has always been this way and will likely remain so. But no, it isn't fair or right. Karma exists however.

Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post

can you sue for compensatory damages for something like Epstein did? gonna guess the answer is yes...

so assuming that is yes, who determines how this is handled from Epstein's end? who the hell knows what he's worth, but let's just say it's a billion...if im the heir to all that dough and these victims come through, instead of going through the courts why the hell not just float $250-500M at 'em, make 'em go away and collect the rest...assuming whoever is inheriting all of this money can't get their hands on it until it's adjudicated through the courts and i'm guessing that shit can take awhile...

looked and found the aaron Hernandez thing (https://nesn.com/2019/07/aaron-herna...tims-families/)

compensatory damages are just a part of the "general damages I described above" and encompass pain and suffering, etc.

His estate will take a decade to wind down.

can you sue for compensatory damages for something like Epstein did? gonna guess the answer is yes...

so assuming that is yes, who determines how this is handled from Epstein's end? who the hell knows what he's worth, but let's just say it's a billion...if im the heir to all that dough and these victims come through, instead of going through the courts why the hell not just float $250-500M at 'em, make 'em go away and collect the rest...assuming whoever is inheriting all of this money can't get their hands on it until it's adjudicated through the courts and i'm guessing that shit can take awhile...

looked and found the aaron Hernandez thing (https://nesn.com/2019/07/aaron-herna...tims-families/)
Juries (unless the jury trial is waved and a judge hears the case) award punitive and compensatory damages once they award a verdict for the plaintiff. There are usually state limits on compensatory damages. The juries are aware of the distinctions when they litigate damages once they have litigated blame.

I assume his estate will be tied up in lawsuits for a long time. There is $$ there and the lawyers, victims, fake victims, etc all will want a piece of it.

What if his estate sues the jail for not keeping safe an obviously suicidal inmate? I mean sure, why not?

And how much of a salary was he paying all those older women whose job it was to recruit the young girls? Those ladies helping him find the talent had to be ringing the cash register like a boss.

You are right, the receiver (see below) or whoever the claim is likely assigned to will sue the jail for allowing the suicide. These are difficult claims, but frankly given the facts as we now know them, it will likely be able to reach a jury. In NY it's probably worth something. Down here where I practice it would be worthless except for the chance of an assessed attorney fee award following w a nominal verdict at best.

Juries (unless the jury trial is waved and a judge hears the case) award punitive and compensatory damages once they award a verdict for the plaintiff. There are usually state limits on compensatory damages. The juries are aware of the distinctions when they litigate damages once they have litigated blame.

I assume his estate will be tied up in lawsuits for a long time. There is $$ there and the lawyers, victims, fake victims, etc all will want a piece of it.

What if his estate sues the jail for not keeping safe an obviously suicidal inmate? I mean sure, why not?

And how much of a salary was he paying all those older women whose job it was to recruit the young girls? Those ladies helping him find the talent had to be ringing the cash register like a boss.
obv everybody is gonna want a piece of the money pot...

so you're saying that even if his estate/benefactor/whoever wanted to just say 'fuck it' here's a shitton of money they couldn't do that basically because they have no idea what the amount of a lawsuit might be even if $250-500M is a stupidly absurd amount of money that will cover all damages?

Ultimately that is how it will go down. It is just going to take a long time b/c with him dead there will be even more "victims" coming out of the closet so to speak. I'm sure Epstein had been squirling away as much as he could since these allegations came out again, but you'd be surprised how much of that can be traced back given the proper motivation -- which exists here.

Also, the Executor will as mentioned end up filing a federal suit for allowing him to off himself. Any proceeds would go to the Estate and thereafter to the victims depending on how all of this shakes out.

I would expect the Court to appoint a receiver or sorts to take over the administration of this Estate and disregard the chosen Executor who I am sure is his brother and will naturally be biased and therefore unbondable.
Did you say, yes you did... karma exists. And you get coffee for lawyers? Why bother?
Resign, and leave this site