Thread: Tine son please weigh in on Masayoshi Son

Load Metric

Tine son please weigh in on Masayoshi Son

Masayoshi Son. Founded and runs SoftBank $81b

Alibaba early investor. WeWork, ARM

Luckbox? Genius? Someone who inordinately benefited from some early gambles. Survivor?

Charming as all fuck.

Someone close to me mentioned SoftBank splashing money in the valley currently. I never really gave him a lot of thought over the years.

Big twitter guy I’m told.

5:00 mark
    https://charlierose.com/videos/17541

Charlie Rose the rapist. Still, a great interviewer.

Just tossing Masa Son out there.

Load Metric
    -fin

Load Metric
    astoundingly prescient interview and im like 55 seconds into it.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    also he literally wrote two pieces of software when he was 19 and suddenly he was sitting on $3,000,000 in the early 1970s.

while in the bay area.

again not to denigrate the man but you know, he wasnt exactly selling water to a whale. and this wasnt an ordinary 19 year old, when he turned 16 he was like 'fuck bitches im finna start a business', so imagine a 19 year old with those sorts of instincts with $3,000,000 in 1972 and you gotta kinda wonder like, why isnt he riding a tesla on mars right now?

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    this really is one of charlie rose's worst interviews.

his julian schnabel / david bowie interview is prooooobably the gold standard however.

Comments

Sanlmar: Dick Cavett rep

Load Metric
    I am sure this didn’t escape your notice either....

Masayoshi son claims he pitched a crude drawing of an imagined iPod-cellphone hybrid to Steve Jobs 2 years prior to its release. Jobs refuses to accept any document from him for obvious reasons.

I am not what to make of the claim frankly. If forced to make a call, I’d say $18 or $24b removes a man’s conventional ego.

Load Metric
    he probably did pitch him a drawing and it looked like star spangled ass and jobs was like this aint it chief.

Load Metric
    Quarter mil headshots....

WeWork. This is a cautionary tale and a signpost of our startup insanity. Waaaaaay_too_much cheap capital looking for a place to go.

The parallel is housing back in the day. All sorts of funds looking for returns. Too much capital sloshing around. This is how accidents or catastrophes happen.

Boomerville... too many people saving. Old people save. It’s a lot of things actually. It’s never just one. But Boomerville is a good label.

WeWork was brought to you by Masayoshi San(lmar). At least it’s last most cystic incarnation. Only to crater as an IPO.... which is the only point, right?

I am not going to spoiler this. It is too precious. But I will find something if you are feeling like a Slacker.

or save it as a reward to yourself, it’s that good.

Thread Information