Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Kevin Racks Poker dude with cancer (update: recovered money scammed from him donated to Sarcoma Foundation of America)

Load Metric

RIP Kevin Racks Poker dude with cancer (update: recovered money scammed from him donated to Sarcoma Foundation of America)

Posted by his caregiver Kevin ended his life through assisted suicide earlier today as he decided it was time to go onward.

Name:  6C35D7AC-E7F7-4A86-A16E-07A51CC57471.jpeg
Views: 827
Size:  933.4 KB

Load Metric

Comments

MumblesBadly: Thanks for posting.
    Last edited by duped_samaritan; 07-26-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    Kanye West may have American poisoned pop culture, but it’s a super tough road to hallucinate that he is posioning you with terminal cancer.

RIP, Mr. Racks. You folded your life-hand with grace and dignity.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    So let me get this right, this guy has an 8 year old son. He finds out he has very little time to live and he leaves his son and family to spend a month in Vegas gambling in the time-intensive WSOP and playing online poker? And scumbags enabled this compulsion by staking him? Neg rep if you want, but this isn't right.

Comments

splitthis: Sparing the family

sah_24: Moron ...

Inaugural Spring Classic Champion HoodedN's Avatar
    Load Metric

rip
    #ToddsPlan

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Don't forget that in his final weeks, he got ripped off by 2 different ACR trade scammers.

One of them was a career scammer I briefly knew (but was not friends with) 10 years ago.

The other one was a 20-year-old Baylor tennis player, who seemed to legitimately feel bad, and was getting together the $ to pay him back through me, which is now too late.

https://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sh...erminal-cancer

Load Metric
    Come on guys.

Can we not shit on the guy that just died or brag about how we knew a guy that scammed him for a minute or two?

(unfortunately rhetorical)

Load Metric
    His story was quite moving and was sad to see he didn't cash in the Main after running up a bit of a stack. I also read a piece during the series that the game he had the most fun playing was PL08.

So earlier I loaded up the 08 tables on Stars and donk posted a big blind. Amazingly I was dealt AA25ds, but out of respect to Racks I folded to a min raise before snap leaving as a single tear trickled down my trembling face.

Not a hand I will forget in a hurry.

RIP lad.
    http://pnimg.net/w/articles-attachments/1/4c2/74d75c36d2.jpg

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    My fiance has sarcoma that we've been battling for a couple years now and I can confirm there are short stints where things are looking up and then all the sudden in one day everything goes back to shit. A lot of ups and downs as the cancer slowly consumes your body. One week your walking miles in the hot sun feeling pretty good and the next two you're in the hospital.

Comments

Kuntmissioner: best of luck to both of you

Tellafriend: Damn

Load Metric
    rip, gg sir

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    RIP

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

Kevin was scammed by two people in his final weeks. One of them was prolific ACR scammer Brian Voytek, who is still scamming people to this day. The other was a young kid who was a degenerate but not that bad of a guy, just desperate for funds.

I eventually got the kid to cough up the $500 he scammed, but Kevin had passed away by that point.

I made many attempts to contact Kevin's wife, but for whatever reason I can't get a hold of her, even through third parties who say she hasn't been responsive to them either. I was going to give her the $500, but have given up.

However, I don't want to keep the $500.

I'm thinking I should send the $500 here: https://www.curesarcoma.org/

Mission

The mission of the Sarcoma Foundation of America (SFA) is to advocate for sarcoma patients by funding research and by increasing awareness about the disease. The organization raises money to privately fund grants for sarcoma researchers and conducts education and advocacy efforts on behalf of sarcoma patients.
    Kevin was very active with promoting sarcoma awareness in his final months.

Here's the donate page: https://www.curesarcoma.org/donate/

The donation will be "In Memory of Kevin Roster" (there's a section on the donation form to fill this out, as presumably a lot of the donations come from relatives of deceased sarcoma victims).

It's fitting that I will be the one facilitating this, because a relative of mine also passed away of sarcoma, and also at a fairly early age (though not nearly as young as Kevin).

I wanted to post this here before doing it, just in case anyone thinks there is a better place to donate it.

Comments

Kuntmissioner: GREEN

Load Metric
    BUMP

Kevin was scammed by two people in his final weeks. One of them was prolific ACR scammer Brian Voytek, who is still scamming people to this day. The other was a young kid who was a degenerate but not that bad of a guy, just desperate for funds.

I eventually got the kid to cough up the $500 he scammed, but Kevin had passed away by that point.

I made many attempts to contact Kevin's wife, but for whatever reason I can't get a hold of her, even through third parties who say she hasn't been responsive to them either. I was going to give her the $500, but have given up.

However, I don't want to keep the $500.

I'm thinking I should send the $500 here: https://www.curesarcoma.org/

Mission

The mission of the Sarcoma Foundation of America (SFA) is to advocate for sarcoma patients by funding research and by increasing awareness about the disease. The organization raises money to privately fund grants for sarcoma researchers and conducts education and advocacy efforts on behalf of sarcoma patients.
    Kevin was very active with promoting sarcoma awareness in his final months.

Here's the donate page: https://www.curesarcoma.org/donate/

The donation will be "In Memory of Kevin Roster" (there's a section on the donation form to fill this out, as presumably a lot of the donations come from relatives of deceased sarcoma victims).

It's fitting that I will be the one facilitating this, because a relative of mine also passed away of sarcoma, and also at a fairly early age (though not nearly as young as Kevin).

I wanted to post this here before doing it, just in case anyone thinks there is a better place to donate it.
    Assuming you make sure it's not a scam charity it seems like the best thing to do with the money.

Load Metric
    Actually, check out this page: https://www.curesarcoma.org/kevin-racks-roster/

You can do it directly through him.

Edit: it just takes you right to the same link you posted. Either way, that's def where it should go.

"In lieu of flowers or direct donations I ask you please support compassionandchoices.org and the Sarcoma Foundation of America through my personal dedication page located at: curesarcoma.org/kevin-racks-roster/."

Load Metric
    you should donate it to a charity of cmoneys choice

Comments

sonatine: ��
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

After over a year, I still cannot reach his wife.

I have pulled the trigger and donated the $500 to the Sarcoma Foundation of America.

The recovered scam money was put to good use.

Name:  kevinracks-donation.png
Views: 233
Size:  43.8 KB

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SPIT this View Post
    So let me get this right, this guy has an 8 year old son. He finds out he has very little time to live and he leaves his son and family to spend a month in Vegas gambling in the time-intensive WSOP and playing online poker? And scumbags enabled this compulsion by staking him? Neg rep if you want, but this isn't right.
    LOL at spending your last month with schlubby WSOP grinders versus spending that time with your loved ones before medically helsing.

Definitely made society more aware though.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SPIT this View Post
    LOL at spending your last month with schlubby WSOP grinders versus spending that time with your loved ones before medically helsing.

I didn't quite understand this, either. It's possible he saw himself as a burden to his family in that final month, and didn't want them seeing him in that condition on a daily basis. Recall that, in the WSOP Main, he had to abandon a good stack when he deteriorated so badly during the event that he couldn't manage to return from dinner. He had some kind of nurse/assistant with him at WSOP, but even with that, he wasn't able to complete the event.

In any case, the fact of the matter is that sarcoma awareness/research was important to him, and I received $500 from a guy who had previously scammed him. So now sarcoma research has another $500.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

I didn't quite understand this, either. It's possible he saw himself as a burden to his family in that final month, and didn't want them seeing him in that condition on a daily basis. Recall that, in the WSOP Main, he had to abandon a good stack when he deteriorated so badly during the event that he couldn't manage to return from dinner. He had some kind of nurse/assistant with him at WSOP, but even with that, he wasn't able to complete the event.

In any case, the fact of the matter is that sarcoma awareness/research was important to him, and I received $500 from a guy who had previously scammed him. So now sarcoma research has another $500.
    Not uncommon at times for terminal cancer patients to commit suicide or in his case assisted suicide. My dad deliberately ODd on his opoid pain meds back in Sept 2000 when he was at Stage IV-B of lung and lyrangeal cancer which had come back massively on him in July 2000.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post

Not uncommon at times for terminal cancer patients to commit suicide or in his case assisted suicide. My dad deliberately ODd on his opoid pain meds back in Sept 2000 when he was at Stage IV-B of lung and lyrangeal cancer which had come back massively on him in July 2000.
    Sorry to hear about your father. This is another reason why assisted suicide needs to be a legal option for terminal individuals. Will never understand why so many are against it.

Thread Information