Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN's Britt McHenry seems to act like a bitch to a parking lot attendant -- but was it justified?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

ESPN's Britt McHenry seems to act like a bitch to a parking lot attendant -- but was it justified?

The internet is all abuzz about ESPN barbie doll Britt McHenry nastily mocking an apparently overweight parking lot attendant, making fun of her weight, teeth, and lack of education.

http://nypost.com/2015/04/16/espn-re...-in-ugly-rant/

On the surface, it seems like an entitled C-list celebrity acting as if she's better than a common working person.

However, it came out that this dispute involved McHenry's car being towed from the lot. There are no details about the reason her car was towed, but this actually makes me believe that perhaps the nastiness was justified.

There is a little-known scam involving parking lots and towing companies.

The scam goes like this:

- Shady towing company identifies parking lots in locations where parking is often at a premium, and people sometimes park there for a brief period of time in order to visit neighboring businesses

- Shady towing company offers parking lot a piece of the proceeds from towed cars if they allow them to "patrol" the lot

- Shady towing company hides a tow truck on premises and "lies in wait", viewing the lot and waiting for the moment someone parks their car and walks off property

- Shady towing company rushes to tow the car, and gets it on the truck and off the lot in less than 5 minutes

- Shady towing company charges hundreds of dollars to driver to get their car back, often raising the price even further on nights and weekends

Unfortunately, this is completely legal. Many such scams exist in Las Vegas, and completely violate the spirit of the law authorizing such tows. In fact, many times these towing companies are hiding out after hours, when all of the businesses associated with the parking lot are closed (and therefore they can't claim that they need the parking for customers).

I have a feeling that McHenry was probably a victim of one of these scams, given how angry she was, along with her threats to sue.

It is also possible that she just parked illegally there and was towed, and then felt entitled to get her car back for free.

But if she really stepped off property for 5 minutes and found one of these shadeball towing companies had taken her car, I can understand why she went off on anyone she could find who was associated with the situation.

I was a victim of this in 2000 in Las Vegas, and was one of the very few to ever get my money back, because I challenged them to prove that I had stepped off property, and they could not. They tried every lie and trick in the book to "prove" they had the goods on me, including lying about having me on video. Even after ultimately backing down (only after I pressured the parking lot owner), they repeatedly lied about sending me a check, but I finally showed up at their office and hassled them until they gave me the promised check that had always been "in the mail" for months. Everyone who worked at the depressing North Las Vegas office looked as if they had a criminal background. Most of the victims (in line to pay to get their car back) appeared to be fairly poor, and the $300 or so that they had to cough up looked like it would really affect them. I felt bad for these people being victims of these shady assholes. One girl was telling her mom that her car actually broke down in the lot, and when she went across the street to make a pay phone call about it, the company towed her. The Las Vegas police told me that they had countless complaints about this towing company, but there was nothing they could do.

Many towing companies also have really shady deals with apartment complexes, towing cars for "violations" such as simply having their license plate tags expired by 1 month, even if the car in the spot is registered to the tenant and registered with the apartment complex office. Usually the manager of the complex gets kickbacks for this. I think this was happening at the last complex I lived in Las Vegas, and one of my friends there fell victim to it.

Comments

NaturalBornHustler: on the same side as Jfaggot? well deserved red sorry boss

Load Metric
    So it's ok to illegally park in a lot, get out of your car, and walk around the parking lot? As long as you don't step foot off the lot? Seems contrived. Illegal parking is illegal parking. Show me a law that states "illegally parked owner must leave property before tow is authorized" or something similar
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    what was the cunt driving?

Comments

big dick: lol great minds think alike

Load Metric
    Never heard of her. She's hot though

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  168.2 KB
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    Im sure she is a huge cunt, but in this Instance I can't blame her for being a cunt.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post
    So it's ok to illegally park in a lot, get out of your car, and walk around the parking lot? As long as you don't step foot off the lot? Seems contrived. Illegal parking is illegal parking. Show me a law that states "illegally parked owner must leave property before tow is authorized" or something similar
    No, I didn't say you can illegally park.

If the driver LEGALLY parks, but then goes to a neighboring business, they can technically be towed by most state's laws, provided that there is a sign saying that "Parking is for Customers Only".

This is true even if the business has been closed for hours.

While I understand business owners calling for cars to be towed when people park in their lot for substantial periods of time and use other businesses, I feel it should be illegal for tow truck companies to "lie in wait" and police this themselves. The law should require the business owner to call the tow truck company themselves, and for at least 15 minutes (or something like that) to pass in order to tow the person. There should never be "towing traps" where people are enticed to park in the lot of a neighboring business, and then towed as soon as they set foot off property.

Load Metric

Banned
    Load Metric
    This is a really bad look, even if the towers are predatory scumbags. She would have come off better throwing a tantrum and screaming.

The issue isn't that she was being mean to a working-class attendant. It's the way she was going about it. Snobby, entitled, patronizing, disgusting behavior. She's not terrible for doing that to the attendant. She's just terrible, period.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also, I don't like that the video was edited. Why can't we see the whole thing?

Is it possible that the unedited version shows the parking attendant insulting McHenry, as well? Or that it exposes that this was some sort of towing scam?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

If the driver LEGALLY parks, but then goes to a neighboring business, they can technically be towed by most state's laws, provided that there is a sign saying that "Parking is for Customers Only".

While I understand business owners calling for cars to be towed when people park in their lot for substantial periods of time and use other businesses, I feel it should be illegal for tow truck companies to "lie in wait" and police this themselves. The law should require the business owner to call the tow truck company themselves, and for at least 15 minutes (or something like that) to pass in order to tow the person. There should never be "towing traps" where people are enticed to park in the lot of a neighboring business, and then towed as soon as they set foot off property.
    Should I be allowed to run into Wal Mart, parked in handicap illegally, as long as it's 15 minutes or less?

I thought about typing a diatribe, but I'm not feeling up to it. I completely disagree with you though Druff. It's their property, they can enforce whatever rules they want. Lol at being required to wait to tow your car

Comments

gut: green only because you didnt type more

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    This is a really bad look, even if the towers are predatory scumbags. She would have come off better throwing a tantrum and screaming.

The issue isn't that she was being mean to a working-class attendant. It's the way she was going about it. Snobby, entitled, patronizing, disgusting behavior. She's not terrible for doing that to the attendant. She's just terrible, period.
    I agree, but it is sometimes hard to keep your temper when you feel like you are being scammed and the employee is dismissing your concerns.

She handled it poorly, but if she was really being scammed here, I kinda get it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Should I be allowed to run into Wal Mart, parked in handicap illegally, as long as it's 15 minutes or less?

I thought about typing a diatribe, but I'm not feeling up to it. I completely disagree with you though Druff. It's their property, they can enforce whatever rules they want. Lol at being required to wait to tow your car
    Why are you throwing handicapped parking into this? I said PARKED LEGALLY.

The business owner is not calling for these people to be towed. The business owner and all of his employees are gone and/or not involved. The towing company just hides and decides for themselves who to tow. That should be illegal.

Load Metric
    Also, how do you get suspended from your job for being rude while not working? Do ESPN anchors have personal conduct policies in their contracts? I know these suspensions are pretty common so I suppose it's legit.

Comments

gut: holy shit shut it down

Load Metric

The business owner is not calling for these people to be towed. The business owner and all of his employees are gone and/or not involved. The towing company just hides and decides for themselves who to tow. That should be illegal.
    Once you step off the property, you are immediately illegally parked. Just like the moment I park in handicap I'm illegally parked. Your solution is absurd. So property owners are supposed to stand around and personally monitor their lots? Or maybe they pay someone to monitor it for them? Like tow truck drivers......

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Here is a common scenario:

You order some food for pickup from a restaurant where parking is very tough. It's 8:30pm.

You get there and there is zero parking anywhere. However, next door is a parking lot of a dental office which has been closed for 3 hours. Nobody is in the lot.

You park there for 5 minutes to pick up your food, and leave.

You come back and find your car gone, and find out you owe $300 to get it out of a towing lot.

This is predatory bullshit and violates the spirit of towing laws, which were crafted in order to remove vehicles either creating a hazard or preventing rightful owners/users of parking spaces from parking.

This type of crap goes on all the time in Las Vegas and elsewhere.

You can get on your high horse and say, "I wouldn't park there because I'm not here to visit the dental office, so I have no right to be there", but that's crap. You know you would park there for 5 minutes if there was no other choice, and you know that you would be super pissed if you found the car towed by a company hiding while you did so.

Load Metric
    Here is a common scenario:

You order some food for pickup from a restaurant where parking is very tough. It's 8:30pm.

You get there and there is zero parking anywhere. However, next door is a parking lot of a dental office which has been closed for 3 hours. Nobody is in the lot.

You park there for 5 minutes to pick up your food, and leave.

You come back and find your car gone, and find out you owe $300 to get it out of a towing lot.

This is predatory bullshit and violates the spirit of towing laws, which were crafted in order to remove vehicles either creating a hazard or preventing rightful owners/users of parking spaces from parking.

This type of crap goes on all the time in Las Vegas and elsewhere.

You can get on your high horse and say, "I wouldn't park there because I'm not here to visit the dental office, so I have no right to be there", but that's crap. You know you would park there for 5 minutes if there was no other choice, and you know that you would be super pissed if you found the car towed by a company hiding while you did so.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Once you step off the property, you are immediately illegally parked. Just like the moment I park in handicap I'm illegally parked. Your solution is absurd. So property owners are supposed to stand around and personally monitor their lots? Or maybe they pay someone to monitor it for them? Like tow truck drivers......
    Why are the people "monitoring" the lots hiding and towing cars for profit?

If this is truly a case of keeping the lot secure from "illegal" parkers, they should tell the people parking and attempting to leave that they can't park there. Instead, they hide, watch the people do it, and tow them.

This is extremely predatory and should not be legal. The fact that parking lot owners make thousands of dollars a month in kickbacks from these towing companies should be all you need to know.

The spirit of towing laws makes towing a "last resort" to remove vehicles illegally parked where the owner otherwise cannot be found to be told to move them. There should never be a situation where the lot owner (or an agent contracted with the lot, such as a towing company) knowingly watches and lets people park "illegally", and then makes money towing them.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Pretty sure searles is just being contrarian and trolling you bruh

Load Metric
    Oh my god what a piece of shit cunt. Just call the attendant a smelly n-word and get it over with. Holy fuck.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    Pretty sure searles is just being contrarian and trolling you bruh
    Pretty sure of that too. The funny thing is that I thought to myself, "I bet jsearles is going to troll this" when I made the OP.

Thread Information