Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Received most bullshit ticket in my life on the way back from WSOP

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I know money is never the issue with you and ya it's a borderline chicken ass ticket but you're drivin away with 50k in your pocket. This has to soften the blow, no?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by mulva View Post
    fight this bs tooth and nail.

peeps just seeing cops on the road makes them do stupid chit. drive slower, panic to a degree, etc, etc..you were just trying to do what you thought was the best thing.

in my younger days i once got a ticket in front of my house as i was parked in the wrong direction. right in front of my house in a suburban neighborhood!!!.. my car was only like that a short time as i had to run in and take a shit.

an officer didn't even issue the ticket. it was a park ranger that checks to see if you're a resident to enter the beach area. but since i lived close to a beach out of town peeps park on adjacent roads a mile away and walk.....and these keystone cops do shit like this to prevent it. as well as putting up additional signage.

the peep that issued the ticket was the our ex governors son......i obv contested it and it was dropped...such bs
    This is hilarious because I park my car that way all the time even overnight. It even shows my car parked that way on google maps when you zoom in on satellite.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I got pulled over for the same thing once, just received a warning though

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin Micunt View Post
    Let me guess you were apologetic and somewhat genuinely sorry.

Didn't ask about how new the law was or ask for any sort of supervisor, etc

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    In my 30 years of driving, I've never seen people jump out of the right lane when there's cops on the right shoulder writing someone a ticket.

Not only have I not done it, but I've never seen anyone else do it.

To write tickets for this crap, when the car going by is otherwise driving safely, is complete shit.

Just another example of traffic enforcement being used for the purpose of raising money, rather than safety.
    lol what? It's common sense to move over druff

Comments

Hockey Guy: You'd think but when common sense fails, claim a BS conspiracy.

Load Metric
    Law is about 15 years old maybe? Never heard of anyone getting a ticket for it though.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin Micunt View Post
    Let me guess you were apologetic and somewhat genuinely sorry.

Didn't ask about how new the law was or ask for any sort of supervisor, etc
    Basically, mine occurred in Florida. I did state to him that I never had heard of that law before and inquired whether it was a state law or a federal law but acted very apologetic and was let off with a warning.

Load Metric
    I think technically you should be able to beat it. Unfortunately, one of my friends has been dealing with traffic court for a while and he said it's basically a kangaroo court. TLDR: He was in the right lane preparing to turn right at the street ahead, he got pulled over for being in the right lane too long and not taking the first immediate turn (eg: gas station / shopping center entrance), then the law they quoted in court specifically only applied to the left lane (median lane? it's the shit where there are yellows on your left and right) and the judge was like "ya but that applies here too" or some shit.

Anyway, I say I think you should technically be able to beat it because AFAICT, you followed what was written in the handbook.

• Decrease the vehicle speed to a speed that is reasonable and proper
    and less than the posted speed limit.
    • Proceed with caution.
    • Be prepared to stop.
    • If possible, drive in a lane that is not adjacent to the lane in which
    the emergency vehicle is stopped unless the roadway, traffic, weather
    or other conditions make doing so unsafe or impossible.
    I would say going 69 in a 70 is less than the posted speed limit as well as reasonable and proper given the circumstances (people flying by going 85+ right?).

I assume you proceeded with caution. It sounds like the cops own words even agree with you here.

Be prepared to stop. I can't speak for you (and I doubt you'd say you weren't prepared to stop), but this sounds like an easy gimme.

The only one I think you might have trouble with is the last one that basically says move over if it's not unsafe. Again, given that cars were likely going 85+ then, it'd be pretty unsafe to go in front of them going 69.

The same verbiage is used here: https://dmvnv.com/dltrafficlaws.htm#laws

But chances are, you're fucked. But if you're going to fight it, IMO -- seek discovery and get a receipt/verification of doing so (because they probably won't file it), the cops probably aren't going to show you evidence before going to court (Clark county is pretty fucking retarded), then when you get to court be like "bruh, what evidence?" and if they try to use any evidence against you it should be thrown out. Or just hire OJ's dream team of lawyers.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Law is about 15 years old maybe? Never heard of anyone getting a ticket for it though.
    The highway patrol cops are probably still ramped up over some recent deaths of fellow troopers by idiot drivers doing almost exactly what Druff did except they drifted to the right and struck the troopers.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...328-story.html
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    can someone explain to me how druff 'beats' this ticket?

he broke a law. he got caught.

its a fucktarded law but thats rarely a coge defense.

Comments

limitles: Have to contribute to Policeman's ball but really it is a dangerous move. No telling what was going on with those cops at the time
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

Druff even admits he was wrong!

If this is the “most bullshit ticket” in your life you’re running good.

I got a $77 parking ticket tonight in KC tonight for failure to properly display license plates. I have a rear license plate. The front has no bracket so I display the plate in my window. I was properly parked, meter was fed. Licensed properly, insured. Still a ticket that I’ll probably just pay because I’m sure the law requires a front plate on the bumper. It’s bullshit but is what it is. $210 dinner turns into $287. Oh well
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1marley1 View Post
    Are you fucking serious?

Move the fuck over!
    He actually made a conscious decision to move over closer to the traffic stop for some unknown reason.

This law has existed in Canada for as long as I can remember. Anybody who doesn't slow down or pull over would be considered an asshole on the same level as someone passing a line of traffic then trying to merge at the front of the line because of the obvious lane closure causing the long line of traffic to begin with.

I find it hard to believe that you've been driving all these years & have never pulled over or seen anybody pull over away from police or emergency vehicles with lights flashing. I've rented a car in the USA on 4 separate trips(3 in Vegas & once in Phoenix) & drove no more then 400 miles total & have pulled over & seen others pull over on at least 2 occasions in this scenario.

There's also a law here in Canada, & I'm sure in the US that if you meet an emergency vehicle with lights flashing on a 2 lane hiway you're supposed to slow down & pull over so don't get caught with that one either.

Just look at this as a $198 driving lesson.

edit: BTW you're not prohibited from driving in the right lane but you need to slow the fuck down. It doesn't say slow down "if possible".
    I made the decision to move to the right because tards were speeding by despite seeing a traffic stop (maybe they felt the cops wouldn't get them if already pulling over someone else?), and I didn't want to be in the way of those cars.

I think you're misunderstanding what I wrote.

I didn't fail to pull over or pull away from a moving emergency vehicle. Doing that is super obvious and everyone knows that before they start driving at age 16. In fact, the requirement to do that is hammered into your head during all driver's education and training courses.

This was a matter of two cops already stopped along the shoulder and giving someone a ticket. No cars were moving, nor would they be until the traffic stop was over.

I have never seen people approach a traffic stop and jerk out of the right lane and get away from it.

In fact, the law requiring you to do this was fairly recent (last 10 years or so) in both California and Nevada, according to the NHP trooper himself.

Also, nobody was making the case that I was dangerously close to hitting them, or putting anyone in danger. They conceded that nothing I personally did was dangerous, but simply that "it's the law" to either move out of that lane or slow way down, and I violated it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    In our neck of the woods moving to the left lane when a cop is on the side of the road is as automatic as pulling over for firetrucks, ambulances or police cars with sirens and lights.

I seriously can’t even remember when this practice started. It’s always been the same thing to me.

I wouldn’t argue any kind of judgement on your part. I would confess ignorance of the law and indicate I am now appreciative of what a good idea this is generally and will spread the word to those I know.

If I tried to argue that there was no need to pull over for an ambulance I’d get the same response I expect you will get.
    Same here. I can’t recall a time I didn’t automatically move to the away lane. I didn’t know it was a law, just what everyone has done my entire life. I don’t think it was even addressed learning to drive as you watched your parents do it since you were a child and simply understood. When Druff said he’d never seen anyone do it, I thought this must really be a west coast thing or something. It’s just automatic anywhere I’ve ever lived.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

That's pretty much why it's a waste of time to fight this, aside from the usual Nevada shenanigans with negotiating a reduction and removal of moving violation status (which you can usually do with any kind of minor traffic infraction there.)

Just because something is "the law" doesn't mean that it's common knowledge or that it should be enforced. But since they're choosing to enforce it (via bullshit traps, as in this case), it's going to hard for me to win in court with this.

My best claim in court would be that I had moved over to the right to get away from dangerous, speeding traffic, as you're supposed to do when you're one of the slower drivers on the road (which I was at the time). And I was afraid to go back into the other lane and surprise any fast drivers from behind. So, not being aware of this law, I felt it was safer if I just carefully pass the traffic stop in the right lane in a careful manner, which I did.

Not an ironclad legal defense, but a judge could take pity, since I was actually driving safely, and everyone concedes that.

I would be less pissed about this ticket if it just came from a cop who was sensitive about the right lane thing out of concern for himself and other officers.

However, to actually trap people for this is complete bullshit.

Think about it... they position a second cop at a standard traffic stop, just to grab the next person who goes by in the right lane.

Dirty.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post

He actually made a conscious decision to move over closer to the traffic stop for some unknown reason.

This law has existed in Canada for as long as I can remember. Anybody who doesn't slow down or pull over would be considered an asshole on the same level as someone passing a line of traffic then trying to merge at the front of the line because of the obvious lane closure causing the long line of traffic to begin with.

I find it hard to believe that you've been driving all these years & have never pulled over or seen anybody pull over away from police or emergency vehicles with lights flashing. I've rented a car in the USA on 4 separate trips(3 in Vegas & once in Phoenix) & drove no more then 400 miles total & have pulled over & seen others pull over on at least 2 occasions in this scenario.

There's also a law here in Canada, & I'm sure in the US that if you meet an emergency vehicle with lights flashing on a 2 lane hiway you're supposed to slow down & pull over so don't get caught with that one either.

Just look at this as a $198 driving lesson.

edit: BTW you're not prohibited from driving in the right lane but you need to slow the fuck down. It doesn't say slow down "if possible".
    I made the decision to move to the right because tards were speeding by despite seeing a traffic stop (maybe they felt the cops wouldn't get them if already pulling over someone else?), and I didn't want to be in the way of those cars.

I think you're misunderstanding what I wrote.

I didn't fail to pull over or pull away from a moving emergency vehicle. Doing that is super obvious and everyone knows that before they start driving at age 16. In fact, the requirement to do that is hammered into your head during all driver's education and training courses.

This was a matter of two cops already stopped along the shoulder and giving someone a ticket. No cars were moving, nor would they be until the traffic stop was over.

I have never seen people approach a traffic stop and jerk out of the right lane and get away from it.

In fact, the law requiring you to do this was fairly recent (last 10 years or so) in both California and Nevada, according to the NHP trooper himself.

Also, nobody was making the case that I was dangerously close to hitting them, or putting anyone in danger. They conceded that nothing I personally did was dangerous, but simply that "it's the law" to either move out of that lane or slow way down, and I violated it.
    I think the whole purpose of this law is to avoid what tow truck driver's face daily. Anytime you have flashing lights ahead of you either stop if there is one lane or swing over to the left lane to avoid potential danger. Your judgment of what the cop's situation was while driving is unfounded.

Comments

MumblesBadly: :this

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post

Druff even admits he was wrong!

If this is the “most bullshit ticket” in your life you’re running good.

I got a $77 parking ticket tonight in KC tonight for failure to properly display license plates. I have a rear license plate. The front has no bracket so I display the plate in my window. I was properly parked, meter was fed. Licensed properly, insured. Still a ticket that I’ll probably just pay because I’m sure the law requires a front plate on the bumper. It’s bullshit but is what it is. $210 dinner turns into $287. Oh well
    Parking tickets are a different story. A lot of those are bullshit but at least those aren't moving violations and don't affect your record.

BTW I got fucked the exact same way with the "display front plate" crap in West Hollywood a few years ago. I also put it in the window, and they also gave me a ticket.

It's ridiculous that they do this shit, because none of this has anything to do with parking.

The city of West Hollywood is notorious for ticky-tack citations against both individuals and businesses.

A friend of mine got a parking meter related ticket there for parking on Easter Sunday, when the sign says clearly says that you only have to feed the meter "6am-8pm, 7 days a week, except holidays".

Somehow Easter Sunday wasn't a holiday to them. LOL. When the person called the city department, the excuse was that it's not a weekday holiday, and everyone has Sunday off anyway. Uh huh.

I just paid the $25 ticket they gave me and was done with it.

Load Metric
    where are we on todge getting a dui cuz he had half a kombucha and was just wasted

Load Metric
    This is the one time Todd I have serious issues with your view on this and its strictly as a former FF/Medic.. The move over laws exist for a reason because the fact is people get stupid in the sight of lights and shit its like a moth to a flame.. Every year cops and fire/ems personnel are struck and either seriously injured or die because of drivers inattention and because move over laws exist and are still not heeded.. Its designed to create a safety margin for first responders on accidents but also to keep officers safe because again people get stupid and have side swiped cop cars and cops standing outside of a drivers car (its why many cops have resorted to going to the passenger side of a car for safety reasons nowadays because in spit of move over laws people don't heed them and at least they have an out if somebody comes towards the vehicle they might be able to jump out of the way of the idiot driver). I actually know a couple guys who were seriously injured including a broken pelvis when they were struck on the scene of an accident that was minor.. Its also why fire trucks park the way the do so if some idiot does fail to move over or isn't paying attention there's a massive multi-ton vehicle to go through before they could get hit (sadly CHP has bitched about this and was the cause of more then one incident of police vs fire bullshit on the scene of MVCs in the past).. It may seem like a bullshit ticket to you but the move over laws are pretty darn uniform nationwide now unfortunately as the saying goes ignorance of the law doesn't excuse one breaking it especially one that actually exists for a major reason which is safety of individuals doing their jobs on the roads and highways of this country..

Comments

MumblesBadly: :this

Load Metric

That's pretty much why it's a waste of time to fight this, aside from the usual Nevada shenanigans with negotiating a reduction and removal of moving violation status (which you can usually do with any kind of minor traffic infraction there.)

Just because something is "the law" doesn't mean that it's common knowledge or that it should be enforced. But since they're choosing to enforce it (via bullshit traps, as in this case), it's going to hard for me to win in court with this.

My best claim in court would be that I had moved over to the right to get away from dangerous, speeding traffic, as you're supposed to do when you're one of the slower drivers on the road (which I was at the time). And I was afraid to go back into the other lane and surprise any fast drivers from behind. So, not being aware of this law, I felt it was safer if I just carefully pass the traffic stop in the right lane in a careful manner, which I did.

Not an ironclad legal defense, but a judge could take pity, since I was actually driving safely, and everyone concedes that.

I would be less pissed about this ticket if it just came from a cop who was sensitive about the right lane thing out of concern for himself and other officers.

Think about it... they position a second cop at a standard traffic stop, just to grab the next person who goes by in the right lane.

Dirty.

you could be correct but you also may not.. My niece is a deputy sheriff in Hillsborough County FL and there policy is on traffic stops if there is more then a driver in the vehicle they usually have a second officer as backup just in case of shenanigans by the driver or the possibility of the passenger getting out and causing problems including attacking the officer or shooting them god forbid because a passenger could easily pull a gun secretly without the officer seeing it because they are focused on the driver who committed the moving violation or whatever..

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post

Dirty.

you could be correct but you also may not.. My niece is a deputy sheriff in Hillsborough County FL and there policy is on traffic stops if there is more then a driver in the vehicle they usually have a second officer as backup just in case of shenanigans by the driver or the possibility of the passenger getting out and causing problems including attacking the officer or shooting them god forbid because a passenger could easily pull a gun secretly without the officer seeing it because they are focused on the driver who committed the moving violation or whatever..
    I was told that this isn't a policy for the NHP in this area, but that the second officer just happened to see the first one, and stopped by.

I don't believe it. He was all ready to go and grab the first person to pass by on the right.

Thread Information