Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Received most bullshit ticket in my life on the way back from WSOP

Load Metric
    Something else you might not know.

You're more likely to get a flat tyre or blowout in the right lane, and hit debris.

How many dead tyres from especially trucks do you see on the verge?... increases likely hood of suspension incidents as well.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BTW your premise is/was that this was a ticket trap.

Traps are set up and and strategically placed. This was in plain view.

Unless you're claiming the pulled over motorist was part of the trap

you can't call this a trap.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

Holy fuck that's a good point. I can't wait to see the mental gymnastics required to vault over it

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nunbeater View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

Holy fuck that's a good point. I can't wait to see the mental gymnastics required to vault over it
    No gymnastics required.

Officer #1 pulls over a car normally (in this case, a cell phone user while driving).

Officer #2 hears about this on the radio, knows he's close, comes over, and parks on the scene. Waits for the next car to pass in the right lane without substantially slowing down. As soon as it happens, jumps out and grabs them.

One ticket begets two.

Double $$$ for the county.

Easy to pull off because a lot of people aren't aware of this law and will happily pass by on the right, thinking they're obeying the law.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

No gymnastics required.

Officer #1 pulls over a car normally (in this case, a cell phone user while driving).

Officer #2 hears about this on the radio, knows he's close, comes over, and parks on the scene. Waits for the next car to pass in the right lane without substantially slowing down. As soon as it happens, jumps out and grabs them.

One ticket begets two.

Easy to pull off because a lot of people aren't aware of this law and will happily pass by on the right, thinking they're obeying the law.
    hasn't it been standard practice since forever that if one police car pulls someone over, a second available car in the area will come by to see what's happening and to provide support?

i've had multiple police cars involved in traffic stops a ton of times personally, and have to have seen it hundreds of times

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post

No gymnastics required.

One ticket begets two.

hasn't it been standard practice since forever that if one police car pulls someone over, a second available car in the area will come by to see what's happening and to provide support?

i've had multiple police cars involved in traffic stops a ton of times personally, and have to have seen it hundreds of times
    I've never had it happen once in all the police stops in my life. Always been just one police car at my traffic stops, probably because I'm a harmless-looking white guy in very routine traffic infractions.

Usually this only happens if there is reason to provide the support -- like the belief that the stop might be dangerous or turn dangerous. Pulling over some Vegas tourist using a cell phone while driving isn't exactly likely to become a stop needing additional backup.

The biggest indicator that this was a trap was that the second police car was positioned all ready to jump out and grab me. It's not like I went by and there was a pause while the second officer said, "Hey, that guy shouldn't be doing 69 in that lane while we're here", and then there was a delay before he chased after me.

The second I went by, he was all ready to jump and get me, and of course he had his radar gun on and knew my exact speed at the time I passed.

Comments

JimmyG_415: When Druff is right, he's right.

Load Metric
    Druff, knowing how grieved you are over this matter, I decided to contact the police here in a Midwest state that I’m driving through to give them the heads-up that you are a law-abiding citizen who should only be given a warning if you happen to break a decade-plus-old traffic law here.

Name:  2B5B248C-A87D-4B8D-82DA-5E9792EB3672.jpeg
Views: 211
Size:  62.1 KB

Can’t say how effective this plea with them will be, but I’m doing my part to keep you safe from unfair traffic tickets.

Peace out...
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

No gymnastics required.

One ticket begets two.

By definition this is not a trap unless you consider life to be a trap.
    Random pull over......random right? You agree that the cell phone violation was not planned.
    Okay, so you're thinking second cop immediately sees an opportunity for a
    roaming trap. See if the judge doesn't smile when you mention the roaming trap.

Speaking of random, the second cop didn't have a radar gun out(can you believe it) and you just happened to be the only driver that didn't move to the left or slow to a safe speed.

Load Metric
    It's not just about drivers swerving into the breakdown lane. Anyone disabled or pulled over, while outside their vehicle, might lean into the driving lane. Having it clear avoids any chance of fatality or injury.

Load Metric
    I can't believe this thread continues to grow.

A. It's the law, abide by it or get a ticket (or move elsewhere)

B. It's just plain common courtesy to move over for police, broken down cars, etc.

If you're on a 3 lane highway, you not being in the right-most lane will definitely save lives. I don't care if you're going 70 and move over in front of people doing 80 in the middle lane. It's still a +EV play.

If the idiot doing 80 doesn't either move over himself or slow down then they need to re-learn how to drive.

Load Metric
    Is this the most one-sided thread against Druff ever?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post
    Is this the most one-sided thread against Druff ever?
    It's actually not, but the people on my side are mostly not willing to keep posting here and arguing with all of the people fervently insisting I'm wrong. There's even a few people who have said they got basically the same ticket (and feel the same way I do).

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    I can't believe this thread continues to grow.

A. It's the law, abide by it or get a ticket (or move elsewhere)

B. It's just plain common courtesy to move over for police, broken down cars, etc.

If you're on a 3 lane highway, you not being in the right-most lane will definitely save lives. I don't care if you're going 70 and move over in front of people doing 80 in the middle lane. It's still a +EV play.

If the idiot doing 80 doesn't either move over himself or slow down then they need to re-learn how to drive.
    It's a lot more dangerous than you think to be substantially slower than other traffic in your lane.

Drivers which come up on you will be frustrated and abruptly weave around you, sometimes clipping you and causing a spinout. There's also the issue of you happening to choose to move lanes yourself while one of these cars is attempting to get by, resulting in a collision where neither was expecting the other car to move. This is why it's generally suggested to drive "the speed of traffic", even if it's above the speed limit, because of the vastly increased dangers by being slower than the traffic in your lane. Alternately, it's the law to move over to the right if that's the case, as you're out of the way of the faster traffic.

(My court defense, in fact is going to involve the true claim that I moved over to the right for safety reasons, and wasn't aware it was the law to slow down that much below the speed limit when passing by on the right if otherwise driving safely.)

As I already mentioned, my father witnessed firsthand a situation where an accident like the above killed someone.

I believe if you could run a simulation a billion times of me staying in the center lane during that 0.5 mile stretch, and another billion times of me moving to the right, you'd find more accidents and more fatalities with me in the center.

I would venture to guess that VERY FEW of the side-of-the-road deaths have occurred at the hands of drivers who are neither distracted, drunk, nor tired, especially during the day.

This is why law enforcement will not release data proving that this law is working, even after more than a decade of it on the books in many places.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I'll ask you naysayers this:

Why do you believe I was in the right lane?

Do you think I saw the cop up there and decided, "Hey, you know what? Fuck them. I'm going to be a complete asshole and go right by them and freak them out!"

Or do you honestly believe I felt uncomfortable in the center lane going 70, and moved over because I felt it was safest?

I think that's why we have certain people in this thread trying to doubt my story as to why I moved to the right -- because acknowledging that I did it for safety reasons mostly kills their argument that being in the right lane at the time was unsafe.

Good luck to you as a highway driver if you don't think it's dangerous to be substantially slower than most driving in your lane.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This is from a highway study in Texas, regarding the chance of being in an accident based upon your speed:

Yes, it's from 1990, but as far as this is concerned, nothing has changed.

Notice that you're least likely to be in an accident if you drive between average speed and 7 mph ABOVE average speed.

But look what happens when you drive below average speed. Going just 10 mph BELOW brings your accident chances to about the same as driving 15 mph ABOVE average speed! Going 15mph below substantially increases your accident chances even more.

When I was driving 70, I was at least 10 mph below the average speed at the time, perhaps even more like 12-15 mph.

Thus, it was dangerous, just as I perceived, and the safest place to be was the right lane, where everyone would be expecting me to be slow, and cars wouldn't have to weave around to pass me.

The dangers of slow highway driving are poorly understood by most, as people typically believe slower = safer when it comes to driving.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1marley1 View Post
    Are you fucking serious?

Move the fuck over!
    He actually made a conscious decision to move over closer to the traffic stop for some unknown reason.

This law has existed in Canada for as long as I can remember. Anybody who doesn't slow down or pull over would be considered an asshole on the same level as someone passing a line of traffic then trying to merge at the front of the line because of the obvious lane closure causing the long line of traffic to begin with.

I find it hard to believe that you've been driving all these years & have never pulled over or seen anybody pull over away from police or emergency vehicles with lights flashing. I've rented a car in the USA on 4 separate trips(3 in Vegas & once in Phoenix) & drove no more then 400 miles total & have pulled over & seen others pull over on at least 2 occasions in this scenario.

There's also a law here in Canada, & I'm sure in the US that if you meet an emergency vehicle with lights flashing on a 2 lane hiway you're supposed to slow down & pull over so don't get caught with that one either.

Just look at this as a $198 driving lesson.

edit: BTW you're not prohibited from driving in the right lane but you need to slow the fuck down. It doesn't say slow down "if possible".
    This thread jogged my memory, and caused me to look up a ticket I got in Indiana in 2007 - couldn't remember if it was for speeding or this.

It was for the same chickenshit offense, but it was also late December on bad icy roads and I made the conscious decision NOT to go in the left lane, as it was slick and traffic was steady. I made my case to the podunk cop and vividly remember that he said nothing - just handed to me and walked away.

It was on a 10 hour drive home from school, and around the holidays so I just let it go.

What I just realized: I never paid it! I still owe the state of Indiana $163 and change. I've gotten licensed in three different states since and it has never shown up on any check.

What would Druff do here?
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post

He actually made a conscious decision to move over closer to the traffic stop for some unknown reason.

This law has existed in Canada for as long as I can remember. Anybody who doesn't slow down or pull over would be considered an asshole on the same level as someone passing a line of traffic then trying to merge at the front of the line because of the obvious lane closure causing the long line of traffic to begin with.

I find it hard to believe that you've been driving all these years & have never pulled over or seen anybody pull over away from police or emergency vehicles with lights flashing. I've rented a car in the USA on 4 separate trips(3 in Vegas & once in Phoenix) & drove no more then 400 miles total & have pulled over & seen others pull over on at least 2 occasions in this scenario.

There's also a law here in Canada, & I'm sure in the US that if you meet an emergency vehicle with lights flashing on a 2 lane hiway you're supposed to slow down & pull over so don't get caught with that one either.

Just look at this as a $198 driving lesson.

edit: BTW you're not prohibited from driving in the right lane but you need to slow the fuck down. It doesn't say slow down "if possible".
    This thread jogged my memory, and caused me to look up a ticket I got in Indiana in 2007 - couldn't remember if it was for speeding or this.

It was for the same chickenshit offense, but it was also late December on bad icy roads and I made the conscious decision NOT to go in the left lane, as it was slick and traffic was steady. I made my case to the podunk cop and vicidly remember that he said nothing - just handed to me and walked away.

It was on a 10 hour drive home from school, and around holidays so I just let it go.

What I just realized: I never paid it! I still owe the state of Indiana $163 and change. I've gotten licensed in three different states since and it has never shown up on any check.

What would Druff do here?
    I would take the Bill Clinton approach: "Don't ask, don't tell!"

If they never came looking for the $163, and it's been 10 years, and you've gotten licensed in 3 different states since, somehow it just vanished. Even Indiana probably doesn't realize it anymore.

Almost all states cooperate now and share moving violation info, and you won't be able to get a license in a different state with unpaid tickets in another state. Since that hasn't happened, it probably vanished somehow.

A number of years ago one of those awful speed cameras caught me "speeding" in a really dirty spot where they decreased the speed limit right before you're about to get to a freeway onramp. I was in a rental car, and was driving in a different state where I had never been licensed (not California or Nevada, obviously). I knew the rental car company would give up my info, and indeed they did. I got a letter from the rental car company informing that they received contact from that jurisdiction, and that they had given my full info.

I braced and waited for the ticket to come, but it never did.

Fearing it got lost in the mail, I went to the website of that jurisdiction about a month later. Nothing.

I eventually called the jurisdiction and said that I thought I might have gotten a camera ticket and it never reached me in the mail. I gave them my name, nothing came up. I asked if it was possible it wasn't entered yet, and they said no. They said I simply was not in the system for having any kind of violation.

I have gotten licensed twice since this happened and it never showed up, either.

Something must have fucked up between the rental car company sending my info and the jurisdiction receiving it -- maybe it got lost somehow?

Anyway, let's just say I was happy for once that incompetence occurred in a matter involving me.

Load Metric

Exclamation

Yes, I think I'll ignore.

2007 was my bad degenerate year at college. I figured it came and my parents just paid it, but it's still outstanding along with a speeding ticket (lol).

I'm surprised that it didn't come up - I've since been relicensed in North Carolina after a 2009 DUI (smh), in Wyoming in 2013 and now in Oregon since 2015. Nothing on insurance as well.

The court website lists my parents address from two homes ago. Perhaps got lucky for once.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    Yes, I think I'll ignore.

2007 was my bad degenerate year at college. I figured it came and my parents just paid it, but it's still outstanding along with a speeding ticket (lol).

I'm surprised that it didn't come up - I've since been relicensed in North Carolina after a 2009 DUI (smh), in Wyoming in 2013 and now in Oregon since 2015. Nothing on insurance as well.

The court website lists my parents address from two homes ago. Perhaps got lucky for once.
    So it's still showing up on the website? I thought it just vanished entirely.

If it's still showing up, it can eventually bite you one day, but still the best play is to do nothing and to only act if you hear something about it, or if you get stuck trying to renew or get licensed. It could be caught in some holding pattern where it's there but kind of dormant.

Load Metric
    I'll ask you naysayers this:

Why do you believe I was in the right lane?

Do you think I saw the cop up there and decided, "Hey, you know what? Fuck them. I'm going to be a complete asshole and go right by them and freak them out!"

Or do you honestly believe I felt uncomfortable in the center lane going 70, and moved over because I felt it was safest?

I think that's why we have certain people in this thread trying to doubt my story as to why I moved to the right -- because acknowledging that I did it for safety reasons mostly kills their argument that being in the right lane at the time was unsafe.

Good luck to you as a highway driver if you don't think it's dangerous to be substantially slower than most driving in your lane.
    Yet they want you out of the right lane for safety reasons and you’re completely discounting it.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Thread Information