Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

This was as good as it gets.

The court was going to be a huge pain in the ass to attend in person, to the point where saving the last $98 wouldn't be close to being worth the trouble.

My main concern was turning it into a zero-point ticket, and I was successful in doing so, plus a $100 reduction, without setting foot in the courtroom.

Good enough.
While it was a frustrating experience, overall it was a fair outcome. And congrats on not getting any points.

Now, in regards to having to slam on your brakes to avoid rear-ending the car in front of you while driving in Canada...

https://www.travelers.com/resources/...owing-distance

This is great in theory, but it doesn't really work when driving on a lot of roads, because if you create a large space in between you and the next vehicle, on a single-lane-each-direction highway, people are going to pass you and jump in front. Then what? Slow down again to create a 3-second space? Rinse and repeat? No thanks.

In practice, very few people maintain this amount of space (or anything near it) on semi-crowded one-lane highways where the speed of traffic is approximately the speed limit.

Again, this "Move Over Law" is needlessly causing people to slam on the brakes on the highway despite no danger in front of them, which is a huge safety hazard being introduced.

At the same time, the law doesn't appear to be saving any lives of law enforcement, for the reasons I already stated earlier.

The law is well-intentioned, but unfortunately both ineffective and somewhat dangerous. That's why it's now been perverted into a money-making opportunity for local departments and counties.

When passing traffic laws, the practical use should be everything. Any law which causes more harm than it solves should not be on the books. Additionally, any law mostly present for revenue also shouldn't be on the books.

Too many people have been tricked into supporting money-generating traffic laws via knee-jerk support for "safety".