Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Received most bullshit ticket in my life on the way back from WSOP

Gold
    Load Metric
    Had you slowed to something closer to 40-50mph, 100% you would not have gotten a ticket.

Don't you dare even try to address this post. I totally know you're never wrong ever. Ever. Not once in your life.

So keep having this shit happen, because your goal in life should be (is?) to let others know of your 46 year streak of not being wrong, ever.
    shit·show
    /ˈSHit ˌSHō/
    noun
    1) a situation or event marked by chaos or controversy. 2) This site.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Moving from the center lane to the right lane, on a 3 lane highway, when seeing a traffic stop or just a car pulled over on the side of the road is one of the dumber things I have ever heard.

So if you see some poor schmuck with his hazards on changing his driver's side tire do you also slow down to 70 and get in the right lane so you can make his anus pucker as you fly by?

Comments

MumblesBadly: Got ‘im!

jsearles22: My thoughts exactly. If it was a 2 lane it’s different. But three lane and moving to the right is full blown retarded

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty_Aus View Post

75 feels so slow in a 7 series.

Not speeding all that badly, must be about 10mph over the limit yeah?... so more like 80

Seriously, safety was not what you were thinking. In effect you created a more substantial risk to those on the shoulder and perhaps those in the lane next to you if you bounce back into traffic after rear ending the cop. Strange things can happen when a car goes past with small margins for error. Much less likely to hit someone if you increase safety margins. Or are you arguing it wont save lives?

You should have thanked the officer for telling you something you didn't know... and politely eat the ticket.
    I was probably going about 78-80 in the center lane prior to seeing the flashing lights 0.5 miles ahead, then I slowed to near 70 and moved to the right lane so I wouldn't be a hazard/nuisance to faster traffic.

Why is this so hard for people to believe? Why else would I have been in the right lane? It looks like some people in this thread are trying really hard to ascribe selfish/sinister motivations to me being in the right lane in the first place.

I was not creating a more substantial risk to anyone on the shoulder, because I was fully paying attention to the road and wasn't going to veer out of my lane. I've been driving since 1988 and never once veered out of my lane and hit something while driving. Why would this suddenly happen now?

Again, this law is stupid. The drivers who will hit cops on the side of the road are also the ones who are NOT going to think about whether it's "the law" to move over. The spirit of the law is that the bad/careless drivers will not be in the right lane if the veer out of it to the right, and therefore won't hit officers or other emergency personnel. The problem is that the same bad/careless/distracted drivers aren't going to care (or in some case even realize) what lane they're in, thus causing only the safe drivers to move over.

1000% it was safer for me to be in the right lane there as an otherwise alert, safe driver than clogging up one of the other two lanes driving way slower than the rest of traffic.
    Druff, your decades of driving experience told you to change lanes into the closest lanes of emergency vehicles on the shoulder? Dear god.

Comments

RealTalk: THIS

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yes, my decades of driving experience told me that it's not safe to be in a lane driving significantly slower than other vehicles in that same lane.

It told me that it's far safer to be in the right lane, and that my 31-year driving history of never veering out of my lane for no reason left me confident I wouldn't hit anyone stopped on the side.

In fact, my dad actually saw an accident occur on I-15 about 5 years ago, where a car trying to weave around a slower moving vehicle in its lane ended up clipping that car, making it spin out and slam into the center divider, killing that slower driver.

You idiots arguing with me on this one are acting like veering out of your lane just happens out of the blue, even if you're fully paying attention. It doesn't. The reason you veer out of your lane is because you're distracted, sleepy, drunk, or on drugs. I was none of those things, so driving in that lane was safe.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Moving from the center lane to the right lane, on a 3 lane highway, when seeing a traffic stop or just a car pulled over on the side of the road is one of the dumber things I have ever heard.

So if you see some poor schmuck with his hazards on changing his driver's side tire do you also slow down to 70 and get in the right lane so you can make his anus pucker as you fly by?
    No, I don't move to the right lane because the guy changing his tire can't give me a ticket, so I have no reason to have slowed down less than the average speed of traffic.

Why are my actions so hard to understand here?

I'll lay it down one more time for the slow kids here.

I was driving about the average speed of traffic in the center lane, about 78-80 in a 70 zone.

I saw a cop with his lights on about a half a mile ahead, stopped on the right.

Not wanting to pass him driving over 70, I slowed down to around 70.

I quickly realized that driving 70 in the center lane, when everyone else in that lane is driving a lot faster, is not safe for me or them. Therefore, I moved to the right lane in order to prevent such accidents.

I was fully concentrating on the road, and was very confident I would not veer into the cop or the car stopped on the side. Furthermore, nobody was standing on the driver's side of the vehicle, so I didn't have to worry about hitting anyone or freaking them out. It was easy to see this because it was daytime and very bright outside.

Therefore, I took the safest possible actions in this scenario.

Obviously I wouldn't have done this if I knew about this law and the fact that this might be a trap to ticket me. But independent of that, my actions were safest. Drivers like me in the above scenario are NOT the ones hitting emergency personnel stopped on the side.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchjockey View Post
    Had you slowed to something closer to 40-50mph, 100% you would not have gotten a ticket.

Don't you dare even try to address this post. I totally know you're never wrong ever. Ever. Not once in your life.

So keep having this shit happen, because your goal in life should be (is?) to let others know of your 46 year streak of not being wrong, ever.
    Do you feel that this law is protecting law enforcement and other emergency personnel?

If so, how?

You're about my age. Have you ever just spontaneously veered out of your lane while driving, if not distracted, drunk, or tired?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I'll be doing a segment about this on radio tonight. Anyone is welcome to call in and debate me on it.

Gold
    Load Metric

Do you feel that this law is protecting law enforcement and other emergency personnel?

If so, how?

You're about my age. Have you ever just spontaneously veered out of your lane while driving, if not distracted, drunk, or tired?

I've been on the side of the road with vehicles whizzing past at "69" mph. It's way too fast to be less than 6 feet from a broken down vehicle, emergency worker, etc etc. Don't believe me? Park on the side of the road, with both sets of tires on the paved shoulder and stand next to your driver's car door. Tell me how infinitely comfortable you are.

And yes, I've spontaneously veered. Any number of reasons can cause it. A dip in the road, loose or worn suspension, spontaneous failure of tire (it's fucking hot in NV and don't even try to tell me you've never seen tire carcass on the side of the road) or any other of a number of reasons that you could lose control of your vehicle without warning. THAT is why you got the ticket. 69 is way too fucking fast in that condition. And don't try to tell me your car is in perfect condition and would never experience any of the above. What if the guy next to you did, and rammed into your side, pushing you into the incident on the shoulder?

Has nothing to do with how much control you think you have, because I think anyone can agree you're a complete control freak and you think you have it 100%.

You can't account for the unknown/unplanned. Better safe than sorry. Slow your dumb ass down to 40-50mph or slower and don't take a ticket next time if you insist on staying in the right lane. Or better yet, move over. It's the law.

You deserve the ticket, any fine, and any points off your record. Trap or not.

Edit: forgot to address your first point. If the law stops one death or serious injury, yes it's worth it. It's common fucking sense. Give space, or SIGNIFICANTLY reduce speed. not just 1mph under, you're a joke if you think that's significant.

Fuck, I forgot. You're never wrong and I'm completely wasting my time because you'll never take a long hard look at something and decide, 'hey you know what? I'm wrong.' I'm such a fucking idiot and fuck you for sucking me in to your massive ego.

Comments

Benford: "...fuck you for sucking me into your massive ego" catchy enough for me to try this out with friends, TY.
    shit·show
    /ˈSHit ˌSHō/
    noun

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

If so, how?

I've been on the side of the road with vehicles whizzing past at "69" mph. It's way too fast to be less than 6 feet from a broken down vehicle, emergency worker, etc etc. Don't believe me? Park on the side of the road, with both sets of tires on the paved shoulder and stand next to your driver's car door. Tell me how infinitely comfortable you are.

And yes, I've spontaneously veered. Any number of reasons can cause it. A dip in the road, loose or worn suspension, spontaneous failure of tire (it's fucking hot in NV and don't even try to tell me you've never seen tire carcass on the side of the road) or any other of a number of reasons that you could lose control of your vehicle without warning. THAT is why you got the ticket. 69 is way too fucking fast in that condition. And don't try to tell me your car is in perfect condition and would never experience any of the above. What if the guy next to you did, and rammed into your side, pushing you into the incident on the shoulder?

Has nothing to do with how much control you think you have, because I think anyone can agree you're a complete control freak and you think you have it 100%.

You can't account for the unknown/unplanned. Better safe than sorry. Slow your dumb ass down to 40-50mph or slower and don't take a ticket next time if you insist on staying in the right lane. Or better yet, move over. It's the law.

You deserve the ticket, any fine, and any points off your record. Trap or not.
    Why do you keep talking about the driver's side door?

Nobody is standing on the driver's side. The NHP trooper who pulled me over told me right at the beginning that they always stand on the passenger side, per department policy.

So your "omg omg it's so scary standing on the driver's side" histrionics aren't going to cut it. They don't apply here.

Sure, it's not 100% that some fluke won't happen where my car goes over a huge pothole or blows a tire exactly where the emergency vehicles are parked, and I'll hit them. But I could just as easily hit other drivers if such a thing occurrs, and yet there's no law saying you can't be driving alongside another driver in the next lane over. I still feel that this is less likely than an accident occurring because I slowed down far less than the speed of traffic in my lane. I took the safest option given the situation.

I bet you'll find that almost zero side-of-the-road emergency personnel deaths have occurred because an alert driver suddenly had a car issue and it uncontrollably ended up outside of its lane. Almost all of these likely occurred due to drunk/sleepy/distratcted driving. Cops probably got tired of freaking out because they see a recklessly driving vehicle weaving in the right lane, and are afraid it's going to slam into them. So they pressed for this law, and they got it because people like you knee-jerk supported it without thinking about the true value and ramifications of it.

Again, why aren't they releasing any data regarding improvement in the situation since these laws have been passed? Do you think they'd be hiding the numbers if this law was a huge success in preventing officer deaths?

Instead, it's being used as a revenue source to trap otherwise safe drivers.

If a law is failing to do its job safety-wise, and turns into a revenue stream instead, it shouldn't be on the books. Period.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    forgot to address your first point. If the law stops one death or serious injury, yes it's worth it. It's common fucking sense. Give space, or SIGNIFICANTLY reduce speed. not just 1mph under, you're a joke if you think that's significant.
    I'm not even arguing against significantly reducing speed here. If someone said, "Druff, next time you go by one of these on the right, even if it's not the law in that state, do the cops a favor and slow down to 50mph instead of 69mph", I'd say, "Okay, that makes sense, I'll do it."

However, there's a difference between that and having a hard law, including traps where people are ticketed for this, especially for a law that many don't know.

LOL at your dramatic "If it only saves one life" speech. Please.

This law already CAUSED a major accident in Ohio because a driver was in the right lane, couldn't get over due to fast-moving traffic, and didn't know what to do. In a panic, he just stopped, causing a chain-reaction multi-car pileup -- one that wouldn't have happened without this law.

As I said, just because a law sounds good on the surface doesn't mean it's good policy, and it doesn't mean that it won't be converted to simply be a shady revenue stream. That's what has happened here.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Pretty sure I already said fuck you druff, I'm done arguing with you because I know you've never been wrong. I know when I'm beat. Nothing I say will cause you to look at this in any other way than you being 100% correct.

So again, fuck you very much, hopefully you don't go broke from the 1BB ticket. Thoughts and prayers.
    shit·show
    /ˈSHit ˌSHō/
    noun

Load Metric
    Yes, my decades of driving experience told me that it's not safe to be in a lane driving significantly slower than other vehicles in that same lane.

It told me that it's far safer to be in the right lane, and that my 31-year driving history of never veering out of my lane for no reason left me confident I wouldn't hit anyone stopped on the side.

In fact, my dad actually saw an accident occur on I-15 about 5 years ago, where a car trying to weave around a slower moving vehicle in its lane ended up clipping that car, making it spin out and slam into the center divider, killing that slower driver.

You idiots arguing with me on this one are acting like veering out of your lane just happens out of the blue, even if you're fully paying attention. It doesn't. The reason you veer out of your lane is because you're distracted, sleepy, drunk, or on drugs. I was none of those things, so driving in that lane was safe.
    The rub you’re not understanding is how are cops/emergency personnel supposed to know who is paying attention and an impeccable unchallenged driver such as yourself vs a distracted driver? The answer is they can’t differentiate so the only logical solution is to force EVERYONE to get over. Does that make sense?
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Silver
    Load Metric
    Not reading this whole thread so apologies if it’s already been said, but the biggest hole in Druff’s argument is the “it’s dangerous to stay in the middle lane going the speed limit when cars are flying by argument.”

When people see a cop, instinctively they slow down. Lane, current speed, and speed limit be damned. So you’re entire rationale for moving over near the cop (lol) is flawed.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheesfaced View Post
    Not reading this whole thread so apologies if it’s already been said, but the biggest hole in Druff’s argument is the “it’s dangerous to stay in the middle lane going the speed limit when cars are flying by argument.”

When people see a cop, instinctively they slow down. Lane, current speed, and speed limit be damned. So you’re entire rationale for moving over near the cop (lol) is flawed.
    I slowed down way before everyone else because I saw the cop pretty early.

For whatever reason, people were still zooming by me when I slowed down to 70 -- something I even pointed out to the cop when he pulled me over, and he didn't deny that was the case.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post

The rub you’re not understanding is how are cops/emergency personnel supposed to know who is paying attention and an impeccable unchallenged driver such as yourself vs a distracted driver? The answer is they can’t differentiate so the only logical solution is to force EVERYONE to get over. Does that make sense?
    Yes that makes sense, and if there were a magic force which could force everyone safely over, then lives would be saved.

The problem with this law is the fact that the people who would hit a cop on the side of the road are the same people who wouldn't move over in the first place.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This is somewhat comparable to the red light cameras which popped up in the US starting in the 1990s.

The stated reason was that there were X number of red-light-running collisions, killing and injuring Y number of people per year.

These cameras would cut down on these collisions, so it was claimed, and thus lives would be saved. And who could object to such cameras if they follow the law and don't run red lights?

This sounded great if you didn't think about it too hard, but it turned out to be hugely flawed.

The problem was that almost all red-light-running collisions occurred because someone was drunk, on drugs, tired, distracted, or running from police. The guy who speeds up because he sees a yellow and barely runs the red light isn't typically causing accidents, because the other side doesn't get the green fast enough for that guy to slam into that traffic.

Additionally, the red light cameras caused people to become overly paranoid regarding getting the ticket, so they'd see a yellow and slam hard on the brakes, causing increased rear-end collisions.

It turned out that the red light cameras were causing more accidents than they were preventing, and were outlawed from some of the less-greedy jurisdictions.

Clark County, Nevada does not allow red light cameras, for example.

The jurisdictions which didn't allow them basically said, "A guy who's drunk or running from the police isn't going to be deterred by the presence of a camera".

Same story here with the move over law.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post

Yes that makes sense, and if there were a magic force which could force everyone safely over, then lives would be saved.

The problem with this law is the fact that the people who would hit a cop on the side of the road are the same people who wouldn't move over in the first place.
    Saying that this is problem unique to this law is asinine. There are idiots who break laws all of the time regardless of their merit. And those idiots who persist in not moving over, as well those who are just ridiculously ignorant of a driving law that have been on the books for over a decade, with numerous TV reports of emergency workers and cops getting killed because of those idiots, need to get ticketed.

As such, stop your petulant grumbling, break out the so-called "Jew wallet", and get a lawyer to argue the ticket down to a non-moving violation of some kind so that your insurance doesn't take a hit for several years. You can probably hire one to represent you in court in your stead so that you don't have to take the time to appear in court.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric

My decades of driving experience tells me this.

Villains try and drive off when stopped by the Police. They can quickly turn into coming traffic or try and run away... but fair play if to you kill a villain who tries to leg it.
    Also, suspension components can fail at anytime pulling a car off the shoulder. Tyres can also blow without reminding you by SMS.that they're going to go pop. Then of course we have animals going about there business who also don't understand basic road rules and even courtesy. You could also throw in medical emergencies, no matter how unlikely but a dog on the stick induced heart attack has to be at least a billion to one chance of happening just as you safely wizz past in a three thousand pound car.

Load Metric
    Druff is legit smarter than everyone. He’s infallible. All 50 states are wrong. Everyone in this thread is wrong. Druff is the one true god.

Name:  026B18AC-A2B4-4A08-8CF3-8FEF67E00449.jpeg
Views: 142
Size:  8.1 KB
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty_Aus View Post

My decades of driving experience tells me this.

Villains try and drive off when stopped by the Police. They can quickly turn into coming traffic or try and run away... but fair play if to you kill a villain who tries to leg it.
    Also, suspension components can fail at anytime pulling a car off the shoulder. Tyres can also blow without reminding you by SMS.that they're going to go pop. Then of course we have animals going about there business who also don't understand basic road rules and even courtesy. You could also throw in medical emergencies, no matter how unlikely but a dog on the stick induced heart attack has to be at least a billion to one chance of happening just as you safely wizz past in a three thousand pound car.
    Also deserve a green from me.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Thread Information