Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 265

Thread: Received most bullshit ticket in my life on the way back from WSOP

  1. #1
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    4642
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    32,470
    Blog Entries
    2

    Received most bullshit ticket in my life on the way back from WSOP

    I was minding my own business, driving south on I-15 in Nevada, returning from the WSOP.

    I saw flashing lights on the side of the road up ahead, so I made sure I was driving the speed limit. Cars were still zooming by me, so I decided to move over to the right lane and drive very close to the speed limit (70).

    I passed the scene driving at 69 MPH, one mph BELOW the speed limit. I saw a car pulled over, with two cop cars there.

    Then, to my shock, right after I passed by, one of the cars jumped away from the scene, and pulled ME over.

    What?!

    I couldn't imagine what I did wrong.

    I was not speeding. I was not on my phone. I was not driving erratically. There was nothing wrong with my car itself.

    After the Nevada Highway Patrol trooper took my license and registration, I asked him why he stopped me.

    "You violated the Move Over Rule", he told me.

    What?!

    He claimed it was against the law to drive in the right lane when police or other emergency vehicles are stopped on the right shoulder, unless you slow down far below the speed limit.

    What?!

    Was he seriously claiming that the entire right lane was off limits when police are there? I had never heard of such a thing, nor had I ever seen such a thing enforced.

    He claimed it was a fairly new law passed in both California and Nevada, in order to protect officers from being hit by cars speeding by,

    He then wrote me a $198 ticket, which is a moving violation.

    I could not talk him out of the ticket. He was very insistent that I should have known this.

    Most people I've spoken to had no idea about such a law.

    The trooper conceded that I was not speeding, not driving in a reckless manner, not on the phone, and not committing any other violation.

    I was ticketed simply for passing by at the speed limit (actually 1mph below) when they were on the shoulder of the freeway.

    He claimed that the only exception to this is if vehicles are in your way, and there's no way to move out of that lane. Since the freeway wasn't all that busy, he claimed I could have moved over.

    Is this bullshit, or what?

    Keep in mind there were tons of people speeding and on their phones (who I saw being aggressively pulled over as well), so it's not like they had a shortage of people to nab to hit their quota.

    This sort of thing was totally against the spirit of the law. I was driving the most safely of anyone on the road at that time, and they grabbed me over this BS technicality.

    Something else came to mind:

    Why were there two cops present at the traffic stop I passed?

    My theory was that the second cop was there specifically to set this trap, and to pull over basically anyone passing them by in the right lane.

    I had never in my life called the superior of an officer who pulled me over, but yesterday I decided to do it. I thought there was an outside chance that the boss of this officer didn't know they were intentionally satisfying their quota this way, and would take some pity on me and reverse the ticket.



    As expected, he didn't help, and knew all about what they were doing. In fact, the boss was actually the other cop at that first traffic stop, so obviously he knew about it.

    I asked him, "Why were there two of you there?", and he conceded that the first stop was for a cell phone violation, and obviously didn't need two officers there. He said that the other officer was just passing by, and basically stopped to check if everything was okay.

    Right.

    Dude was all ready to pop out and grab me the second I went by. Definitely a trap.

    I can probably get this changed to a parking violation and maybe a reduced fine, but seriously, this is a fucking scam.

    Regarding the legality, here's what it says in the Nevada DMV Driver's Handbook:

    Name:  nv-emergency.png
Views: 647
Size:  118.7 KB


    So technically it does say you should "drive in a lane that is not adjacent to the lane in which the emergency vehicle is stopped", but it seems like more of a suggestion than a hard law when it begins with "If possible". It definitely doesn't say that driving in the lane adjacent is a hard violation of the law which would get you ticketed.

    Regardless, this is something most people don't know. Everyone knows that you have to pull over and move out of the way when emergency vehicles are moving, but not many people know that you're prohibited from driving in the right lane when emergency vehicles or disabled vehicles are on the right shoulder.

    If there was ever a time to just give a warning, it was this. However, as I said I'm pretty sure this was a trap.

     
    Comments
      
      1marley1: You know how many cops and tow truck drivers are killed on dude of road? Everybody knows you move the fuck over.
      
      JimmyG_415: Offset ........I have never heard of this rule,
      
      drufdajewgod: Its a Law here too, and yes i know about it.

  2. #2
    Mad Neg Repper 1marley1's Avatar
    Reputation
    -49
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Wu
    Posts
    153
    Are you fucking serious?

    Move the fuck over!

  3. #3
    I didn't know about this either. Will be cognizant moving forward. The department probably has a quota to hand out a number of those tickets/month and you had bad luck of running into their trap.
    I smoke color purple
    I'm up in here feeling like silly
    Nappy ass dreads, what's that you say?
    Watch your mouth, Milli Vanilli
    You can get snaked, you can get faked
    I'll buy the bitch that you feeling
    'Cause you thought that she was an angel
    That bitch ain't no angel, I treat her halo like a Frisbee

  4. #4
    Where I am this has been a law for a very long time, not sure what else to say, it's the law, you broke it, ignorance is no excuse as the law states.

    You actually did the exact opposite of what the law would have had you do.

    We are lucky you didn't kill a cop in the line of duty, the very reason for this laws introduction.

    Gladly pay the fine and be glad you avoided a manslaughter charge or seizure of your wsop winnings LOL

  5. #5
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    4642
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    32,470
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by 1marley1 View Post
    You know how many cops and tow truck drivers are killed on dude of road? Everybody knows you move the fuck over.
    I wasn't a danger to anyone. This was a standard traffic stop, the shoulder was wide, the officer was standing on the other side of the car being stopped, and I was not drifting out of my lane whatsoever.

    I understand the concern about drivers hitting stopped emergency vehicles on the shoulder, but this is totally "warning" material if the car going by isn't actually a danger, which I wasn't (which they admitted).

    Also, beyond all of that, this whole thing appears to have been a trap, which is especially bullshit.

  6. #6
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    4642
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    32,470
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by DonaldTrumpsHairPiece View Post
    Where I am this has been a law for a very long time, not sure what else to say, it's the law, you broke it, ignorance is no excuse as the law states.

    You actually did the exact opposite of what the law would have had you do.

    We are lucky you didn't kill a cop in the line of duty, the very reason for this laws introduction.

    Gladly pay the fine and be glad you avoided a manslaughter charge.
    Unless the cop was wandering into the right lane, I couldn't have killed him. I was in my lane safely, and not weaving at all. He was also on the other side of the car stopped, as is NHP policy.

    Do you really believe this was safety-related, and not a ticket quota trap?

    Or is this just a troll post?

  7. #7
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    4642
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    32,470
    Blog Entries
    2
    In my 30 years of driving, I've never seen people jump out of the right lane when there's cops on the right shoulder writing someone a ticket.

    Not only have I not done it, but I've never seen anyone else do it.

    To write tickets for this crap, when the car going by is otherwise driving safely, is complete shit.

    Just another example of traffic enforcement being used for the purpose of raising money, rather than safety.

  8. #8
    Serial Blogger BeerAndPoker's Avatar
    Reputation
    1381
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    10,019
    Blog Entries
    20
    You can try to fight the ticket but it's your word vs. cop for a safety rule to protect cops.

    If you think it's a bullshit cash grab that you weren't in the wrong for then your only hope is to fight it in court hoping the officer don't show up so you can ask for it to be dismissed, or severely reduced.

  9. #9
    Nova Scotia's REAL #1 Webcam DJ sonatine's Avatar
    Reputation
    5403
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    23,662
    why does dan druff hate law enforcement officers?


    blue lives matter, druff.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

    "America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DonaldTrumpsHairPiece View Post
    Where I am this has been a law for a very long time, not sure what else to say, it's the law, you broke it, ignorance is no excuse as the law states.

    You actually did the exact opposite of what the law would have had you do.

    We are lucky you didn't kill a cop in the line of duty, the very reason for this laws introduction.

    Gladly pay the fine and be glad you avoided a manslaughter charge.
    Unless the cop was wandering into the right lane, I couldn't have killed him. I was in my lane safely, and not weaving at all. He was also on the other side of the car stopped, as is NHP policy.

    Do you really believe this was safety-related, and not a ticket quota trap?

    Or is this just a troll post?
    I bet you were within the lines and driving safe but the law is to add a barrier to be sure any reason for you not to be leaves that extra room. It is 100% a law in regards to safety. Do I believe all things considered, him being on other side, you driving safe etc that he could have let it slide, sure. But he didn't... the WSOP run is over Todd, life as usual. btw congrats on that.

  11. #11
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    4642
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    32,470
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    You can try to fight the ticket but it's your word vs. cop for a safety rule to protect cops.

    If you think it's a bullshit cash grab that you weren't in the wrong for then your only hope is to fight it in court hoping the officer don't show up so you can ask for it to be dismissed, or severely reduced.
    Oh, I know I'm probably fucked here, as you usually are when you get a ticket, whether you're in the wrong or right.

    Nevada has various ways to where you can get it changed to a parking violation and just pay the fine, sometimes reduced. That's probably what I'll be doing, if possible. Still annoying.

    It isn't even a my-word-against-theirs thing this time, because both sides agree on the facts.

    Both the cop and myself would admit to the following:

    - 2 cops were on the shoulder having pulled someone over

    - I passed by in the right lane, going 69 in a 70 zone

    - I was not driving erratically or unsafely

    - I was not on my phone

    The cop conceded all of this when I talked to him during the stop, and his boss also conceded it on the phone with me.

    So the court would only decide if this is a good enough reason to write someone a ticket.

  12. #12
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    4642
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    32,470
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    why does dan druff hate law enforcement officers?


    blue lives matter, druff.
    lolz

    Actually as you know and are making reference to, I am generally pro-police and think they get a bad rap these days. (There are definitely some bad apples which need to be excised from law enforcement, and I admit that the police union has made that process unreasonably tough.)

    However, I am very anti the usage of police officers for traffic ticket revenue, where money takes priority over safety or common sense.

    Often the cops doing the bullshit traffic stops are simply following orders from above.

    Corrupt/greedy local government is always to blame with shit like this.

    This wasn't in the city of Las Vegas, and was not related to Vegas in any way, btw.

  13. #13
    In our neck of the woods moving to the left lane when a cop is on the side of the road is as automatic as pulling over for firetrucks, ambulances or police cars with sirens and lights.

    I seriously can’t even remember when this practice started. It’s always been the same thing to me.

    I wouldn’t argue any kind of judgement on your part. I would confess ignorance of the law and indicate I am now appreciative of what a good idea this is generally and will spread the word to those I know.

    If I tried to argue that there was no need to pull over for an ambulance I’d get the same response I expect you will get.

  14. #14
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    4642
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    32,470
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    In our neck of the woods moving to the left lane when a cop is on the side of the road is as automatic as pulling over for firetrucks, ambulances or police cars with sirens and lights.

    I seriously can’t even remember when this practice started.

    I wouldn’t argue any kind of judgement on your part. I would confess ignorance of the law and indicate I am now appreciative of what a good idea this is generally and will spread the word to those I know.

    If I tried to argue that there was no need to pull over for an ambulance I’d get the same response I expect you will get.
    I didn't attempt to argue that it wasn't a good idea to move over.

    I told the cop (and his boss) that I understood the reason for the law, and wasn't questioning it. I also said that I would be staying out of the right lane under those situations going forward.

    No one was impressed.

    That's because this was a ticket trap revenue generator, not a safety concern.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    why does dan druff hate law enforcement officers?


    blue lives matter, druff.
    lolz

    Actually as you know and are making reference to, I am generally pro-police and think they get a bad rap these days. (There are definitely some bad apples which need to be excised from law enforcement, and I admit that the police union has made that process unreasonably tough.)

    However, I am very anti the usage of police officers for traffic ticket revenue, where money takes priority over safety or common sense.

    Often the cops doing the bullshit traffic stops are simply following orders from above.

    Corrupt/greedy local government is always to blame with shit like this.

    This wasn't in the city of Las Vegas, and was not related to Vegas in any way, btw.

    In Texas you have to move over or go 10 mph below the speed limit...awful

  16. #16
    Sounds like a trap especially since there where 2 cop cars. Cops pulling over . I always move to next lane when I see someone pulled over but there are times when its not possible to do so because traffic is flowing too fast. I wen on orange a couple of years ago guy wrote me 4pts on ticket. Because that was then only blotch on my record in 25 plus years I had it reduced to 0 points on my license with a 120 dollar parking fine.

  17. #17
    It's common knowledge that you're supposed to move over to give the cops enough room. Sucks you got a ticket but how are you and your friends unaware that you're supposed to move over?
    http://pokerfraudalert2.freeforums.net
    1 Peter 5:8 "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:"

  18. #18
    Platinum mulva's Avatar
    Reputation
    344
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4,910
    Blog Entries
    4
    fight this bs tooth and nail.

    peeps just seeing cops on the road makes them do stupid chit. drive slower, panic to a degree, etc, etc..you were just trying to do what you thought was the best thing.

    in my younger days i once got a ticket in front of my house as i was parked in the wrong direction. right in front of my house in a suburban neighborhood!!!.. my car was only like that a short time as i had to run in and take a shit.

    an officer didn't even issue the ticket. it was a park ranger that checks to see if you're a resident to enter the beach area. but since i lived close to a beach out of town peeps park on adjacent roads a mile away and walk.....and these keystone cops do shit like this to prevent it. as well as putting up additional signage.

    the peep that issued the ticket was the our ex governors son......i obv contested it and it was dropped...such bs
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.



  19. #19
    Nova Scotia's REAL #1 Webcam DJ sonatine's Avatar
    Reputation
    5403
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    23,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    why does dan druff hate law enforcement officers?


    blue lives matter, druff.
    lolz

    Actually as you know and are making reference to, I am generally pro-police and think they get a bad rap these days. (There are definitely some bad apples which need to be excised from law enforcement, and I admit that the police union has made that process unreasonably tough.)

    However, I am very anti the usage of police officers for traffic ticket revenue, where money takes priority over safety or common sense.

    Often the cops doing the bullshit traffic stops are simply following orders from above.

    Corrupt/greedy local government is always to blame with shit like this.

    This wasn't in the city of Las Vegas, and was not related to Vegas in any way, btw.
    its pretty alarming that this isnt in vegas. i expect to be milked like a financial cow in vegas because the police there told me thats their agenda, point blank.

    to see this sort of thing in cali is disturbing, thats kind of a watermark.

    im guessing you can get a judge to knock it down to nothing except some points for a year or two but i yeah, its gross.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

    "America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

  20. #20
    Diamond Hockey Guy's Avatar
    Reputation
    1088
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,269
    Quote Originally Posted by 1marley1 View Post
    Are you fucking serious?

    Move the fuck over!
    He actually made a conscious decision to move over closer to the traffic stop for some unknown reason.

    This law has existed in Canada for as long as I can remember. Anybody who doesn't slow down or pull over would be considered an asshole on the same level as someone passing a line of traffic then trying to merge at the front of the line because of the obvious lane closure causing the long line of traffic to begin with.

    I find it hard to believe that you've been driving all these years & have never pulled over or seen anybody pull over away from police or emergency vehicles with lights flashing. I've rented a car in the USA on 4 separate trips(3 in Vegas & once in Phoenix) & drove no more then 400 miles total & have pulled over & seen others pull over on at least 2 occasions in this scenario.

    There's also a law here in Canada, & I'm sure in the US that if you meet an emergency vehicle with lights flashing on a 2 lane hiway you're supposed to slow down & pull over so don't get caught with that one either.

    Just look at this as a $198 driving lesson.

    edit: BTW you're not prohibited from driving in the right lane but you need to slow the fuck down. It doesn't say slow down "if possible".
    Last edited by Hockey Guy; 07-12-2019 at 08:56 PM.
    (_) ..
    ∫\ \___( _)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-02-2017, 12:08 PM
  2. Jared Bleznick banned for life from WSOP, then unbanned days later?
    By DonkCrusher in forum Scams, Scandals, and Shadiness
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-21-2016, 07:45 AM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-24-2016, 10:42 PM
  4. An email I received regarding Bitcoin fraudster attempts on 5dimes
    By BeerAndPoker in forum Scams, Scandals, and Shadiness
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-05-2015, 07:41 AM
  5. Feedback received from visitors to this site
    By Dan Druff in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-03-2014, 12:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •