Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: Received most bullshit ticket in my life on the way back from WSOP

Gold
    Load Metric
    You fuckers still up in here taking swings at Druff's perfection?

Gotta admire the tenacity.
    shit·show
    /ˈSHit ˌSHō/
    noun
    1) a situation or event marked by chaos or controversy. 2) This site.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I love how jsearles originally comes at me in this thread, then concedes he's wrong, then disappears for a few pages, and then returns to just flat-out troll.

Gotta love Welchy and his dedication.

Load Metric
    I love it how Todd thinks he's presented a reasonable argument, when his position is clearly untenable.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Druff,

I enjoyed listening to your argument...it all makes sense. Cops want drivers to be alert and aware when they see lights on the right side of the roadway as to not hit anyone or anything. What you missed was exactly "how" cops know that you're alert and aware. They know this by requesting that you either move over or slow down. If you don't, they assume that you're not aware and alert, thus the ticket. I think that's the short answer.

More Comments:

I grew up in NJ where 18-wheel tractor trailer drivers made a game of driving as close to state troopers as possible so that their passenger side mirror would spin the broad-brimmed hats off their heads -- kind of like the recent YouTube fad of kicking a screw cap off a bottle. As you can imagine, many troopers were killed as they routinely enact business on the driver's side of the vehicle. Even if that's not the standard practice in NV, there are plenty of other reasons that a cop or driver might have to be on the driver's side of the car.

I'm in Florida now, and they have the same Move Over law. It's been on the books for several years now, and I think I first heard of it on the local news in January when they have a segment that covers all of the new laws that go into effect that coming year. The biggest error in the law is its title. As you illustrated in your Ohio example, you don't have to move over, and drivers that think you must are the ones causing accidents. In Florida, you just have to slow down to 10mph under the posted speed limit. I see drivers trying to move over all the time into a lane with cars moving much faster than they. It's a well intentioned law, but has a poor title. I also agree that, like the red light cameras, they prevent few if any accidents from occurring.

There's also a law on the books in Florida, and elsewhere, that you cannot hang out in any other lane other than the right side lane. If the road is deserted and 3-lanes wide, you can get a ticket for driving in the middle or left side lanes for more than a certain distance (somewhere between 1 and 10 miles as I recall). I think Nevada has such a law, so watch yourself on those lonely drives to/from Las Vegas.

Vic

Comments

MumblesBadly: Thanks for posting this. I’m in FL and passed a “Move Over” law sign by the side of the highway. Was going to post a still from my dashcam as a PSA. (Really for Druff, in case he visits FL anytime soon.)
    Last edited by alpha1243; 07-25-2019 at 04:46 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

Thread is back. It was temporarily moved out of public view while the case was being adjudicated, because it would have been foolish for me to have left it up during that period.

Then there was a weird delay in getting the decision due to an error with the court's website, so I had to leave it down until now.

I actually did the trial by fax, so I didn't have to physically go to court.

My defense was basically a form of what I already posted here, minus the criticism of the law itself.

The defense stated:

- I moved over to the right lane, traveling 69mph, because traffic was zooming by in the other two lanes at high rates of speed, many between 80-95 mph.

- I did see the traffic stop about a half mile ahead, but felt it was safest to stay in the right lane, given the danger of traveling so much slower than the other traffic in the other two lanes, and that moving to those lanes might also surprise faster traffic behind me.

- I was not aware of the Move Over Law at the time.

- I was driving in a safe and alert manner, at the speed limit, and was not distracted or on my phone. Even the officer who pulled me over will acknowledge this.

- I went by the traffic stop safely and did not cause a danger to anyone, nor was anyone outside of their car when I passed.

- My main concern at the time was to drive safely and not impede traffic or cause an accident in the other two lanes.

- I plan to always follow the Move Over Law in the future, now that I know it exists.

I squeezed the entire thing onto one page so I didn't overwhelm the judge with a giant multi-page wall of text which he wouldn't want to read.

Result:

Fine reduced to $98, violation changed to "Illegal stopping or standing" (NRS 484B.450), which is a parking violation and won't affect my record.

Once I pay the $98, it will be like it never happened, aside from my Jew wallet being a bit thinner.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Bonus anecdote:

Near the end of my trip, I was on a highway with a speed limit of 80kph, and suddenly the car in front of me abruptly slammed on his brakes as hard as he could. Obviously I slammed on my brakes, too, in order to avoid rear-ending him, and while I didn't come that close to hitting him, the abrupt brake-slamming caused a "whiplash" effect and made my girlfriend's neck hurt.

We didn't understand the reason for this sudden brake-slamming, where the speed of traffic abruptly went from about 85kph to 45kph.

Then we looked to the right and noticed that, three cars up there was a traffic stop, and someone slammed on the brakes to avoid violating the Nova Scotia Move Over Law, and caused a chain reaction of the next several cars also having to slam on their brakes abruptly.

Made me think of the multi-car pileup I read about in Ohio also related to this law. No accidents occurred here, but it easily could have.

Any law which causes certain drivers to slam on their brakes without immediate danger in front of them is a dangerous law.

This is the reason why those bullshit red light cameras in some places have INCREASED accidents, rather than decreased them.

Comments

Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe: maintain proper following distance

duped_samaritan: air cushion principle

MumblesBadly: What Zap said!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BUMP

Thread is back. It was temporarily moved out of public view while the case was being adjudicated, because it would have been foolish for me to have left it up during that period.

Then there was a weird delay in getting the decision due to an error with the court's website, so I had to leave it down until now.

I actually did the trial by fax, so I didn't have to physically go back to court.

My defense was basically a form of what I already posted here, minus the criticism of the law itself.

The defense stated:

- I moved over to the right lane, traveling 69mph, because traffic was zooming by in the other two lanes at high rates of speed, many between 80-95 mph.

- I did see the traffic stop about a half mile ahead, but felt it was safest to stay in the right lane, given the danger of traveling so much slower than the other traffic in the other two lanes, and that moving to those lanes might also surprise faster traffic behind me.

- I was not aware of the Move Over Law at the time.

- I was driving in a safe and alert manner, at the speed limit, and was not distracted or on my phone. Even the officer who pulled me over will acknowledge this.

- I went by the traffic stop safely and did not cause a danger to anyone, nor was anyone outside of their car when I passed.

- My main concern at the time was to drive safely and not impede traffic or cause an accident in the other two lanes.

- I plan to always follow the Move Over Law in the future, now that I know it exists.

I squeezed the entire thing onto one page so I didn't overwhelm the judge with a giant multi-page wall of text which he wouldn't want to read.

Result:

Fine reduced to $98, violation changed to "Illegal stopping or standing" (NRS 484B.450), which is a parking violation and won't affect my record.

Once I pay the $98, it will be like it never happened, aside from my Jew wallet being a bit thinner.
    Congratulations, you weaseled your way out of a well deserved ticket.
    Sure the cop could have just given you a warning, but you moved into the slow lane from the middle lane so I reckon you deserved it.
    How much do moving violations effect your insurance?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty_Aus View Post
    Congratulations, you weaseled your way out of a well deserved ticket.
    Sure the cop could have just given you a warning, but you moved into the slow lane from the middle lane so I reckon you deserved it.
    How much do moving violations effect your insurance?
    I didn't weasel out of anything. I paid $98.

Also, the court ruled upon this based upon the true and correct facts I sent them in that fax. It's not like I lied about what happened and the judge bought it.

I actually mentioned in my fax, "Unlike most traffic issues brought before you, my assessment of the situation is identical to that of the officer’s who pulled me over."

So I admitted 100% to everything in the ticket, and simply stated the facts surrounding why it happened. That's not weaseling in any way.

Moving violations affect your insurance big time in the US. A single moving violation can as much as double your insurance rates (or thereabouts) for 3 years.

Load Metric
    Can you fight the reduced ticket? If so, can they revert the charges back to whatever the original charge was? If not, then could’a gone back and be like “can you explain how I was standing or stopped illegally?”

Edit: Nvm, I guess you paid it. I had higher expectations for you Druff.

Load Metric
    I wonder if anyone has ever argued a speeding ticket from the opposite angle? A driver ticketed after moving left and finding himself going 95 and getting pulled over. In fairness, in my life, I’ve never seen it happen, so I assume you kind of have a free pass to speed as much as necessary as long as your move into left lane.

Load Metric
    Druff needs one of those insurance telemetrics black boxes tracking his driving style.

He should ask his Facebook portal what kind of discount he can expect.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by RS_ View Post
    Can you fight the reduced ticket? If so, can they revert the charges back to whatever the original charge was? If not, then could’a gone back and be like “can you explain how I was standing or stopped illegally?”

This was as good as it gets.

The court was going to be a huge pain in the ass to attend in person, to the point where saving the last $98 wouldn't be close to being worth the trouble.

My main concern was turning it into a zero-point ticket, and I was successful in doing so, plus a $100 reduction, without setting foot in the courtroom.

Good enough.

Load Metric
    the zero-point part is a massive fucking win.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    ALERT ME AND TINE HAVE BEEN LISTENING TO ACE OF BASS WHILE GAMBLING ON GOLF

Load Metric
    IT HAS NOT TURNED OUT WELL FOR US

Load Metric
    oh i took chaps to the woodshed in our last golf draft which i notice you took a knee for
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Druff needs one of those insurance telemetrics black boxes tracking his driving style.

He should ask his Facebook portal what kind of discount he can expect.
    You think he hasn’t already done this?!? Lullz

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by RS_ View Post

This was as good as it gets.

The court was going to be a huge pain in the ass to attend in person, to the point where saving the last $98 wouldn't be close to being worth the trouble.

My main concern was turning it into a zero-point ticket, and I was successful in doing so, plus a $100 reduction, without setting foot in the courtroom.

Good enough.
    While it was a frustrating experience, overall it was a fair outcome. And congrats on not getting any points.

Now, in regards to having to slam on your brakes to avoid rear-ending the car in front of you while driving in Canada...

https://www.travelers.com/resources/...owing-distance

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric

Druff, I have to be sympathetic to your plight since I had no idea that there was such a law and I've been driving for over 50 years. Most of it, however, was in Massachusetts where driving laws are of little consequence, since drivers there do whatever they want.

This video is both annoying and sad. What kind of cop gives a ticket to a 96 year old man? Nobody got hurt and no vehicles were damaged. A verbal explanation and warning would have got the job done. This will likely bring a tear to the eye of even the most hardened troll.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This Judge Frank Caprio is a fucking genius. He started allowing cameras in his courtroom to post videos of his compassionate dismissal/reduction of ticky-tack driving and parking violations.

Now he's become an internet celebrity and there's actually going to be a TV show featuring a compilation of these.

The Caprio stuff resonates with everyone because the characters shown are always sympathetic, and localities are often greedy assholes regarding expensive tickets for nonsense violations.

Thread Information