Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Received most bullshit ticket in my life on the way back from WSOP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Received most bullshit ticket in my life on the way back from WSOP

I was minding my own business, driving south on I-15 in Nevada, returning from the WSOP.

I saw flashing lights on the side of the road up ahead, so I made sure I was driving the speed limit. Cars were still zooming by me, so I decided to move over to the right lane and drive very close to the speed limit (70).

I passed the scene driving at 69 MPH, one mph BELOW the speed limit. I saw a car pulled over, with two cop cars there.

Then, to my shock, right after I passed by, one of the cars jumped away from the scene, and pulled ME over.

What?!

I couldn't imagine what I did wrong.

I was not speeding. I was not on my phone. I was not driving erratically. There was nothing wrong with my car itself.

After the Nevada Highway Patrol trooper took my license and registration, I asked him why he stopped me.

"You violated the Move Over Rule", he told me.

What?!

He claimed it was against the law to drive in the right lane when police or other emergency vehicles are stopped on the right shoulder, unless you slow down far below the speed limit.

What?!

Was he seriously claiming that the entire right lane was off limits when police are there? I had never heard of such a thing, nor had I ever seen such a thing enforced.

He claimed it was a fairly new law passed in both California and Nevada, in order to protect officers from being hit by cars speeding by,

He then wrote me a $198 ticket, which is a moving violation.

I could not talk him out of the ticket. He was very insistent that I should have known this.

Most people I've spoken to had no idea about such a law.

The trooper conceded that I was not speeding, not driving in a reckless manner, not on the phone, and not committing any other violation.

I was ticketed simply for passing by at the speed limit (actually 1mph below) when they were on the shoulder of the freeway.

He claimed that the only exception to this is if vehicles are in your way, and there's no way to move out of that lane. Since the freeway wasn't all that busy, he claimed I could have moved over.

Is this bullshit, or what?

Keep in mind there were tons of people speeding and on their phones (who I saw being aggressively pulled over as well), so it's not like they had a shortage of people to nab to hit their quota.

This sort of thing was totally against the spirit of the law. I was driving the most safely of anyone on the road at that time, and they grabbed me over this BS technicality.

Something else came to mind:

Why were there two cops present at the traffic stop I passed?

My theory was that the second cop was there specifically to set this trap, and to pull over basically anyone passing them by in the right lane.

I had never in my life called the superior of an officer who pulled me over, but yesterday I decided to do it. I thought there was an outside chance that the boss of this officer didn't know they were intentionally satisfying their quota this way, and would take some pity on me and reverse the ticket.

As expected, he didn't help, and knew all about what they were doing. In fact, the boss was actually the other cop at that first traffic stop, so obviously he knew about it.

I asked him, "Why were there two of you there?", and he conceded that the first stop was for a cell phone violation, and obviously didn't need two officers there. He said that the other officer was just passing by, and basically stopped to check if everything was okay.

Right.

Dude was all ready to pop out and grab me the second I went by. Definitely a trap.

I can probably get this changed to a parking violation and maybe a reduced fine, but seriously, this is a fucking scam.

Regarding the legality, here's what it says in the Nevada DMV Driver's Handbook:

Name:  nv-emergency.png
Views: 961
Size:  118.7 KB

So technically it does say you should "drive in a lane that is not adjacent to the lane in which the emergency vehicle is stopped", but it seems like more of a suggestion than a hard law when it begins with "If possible". It definitely doesn't say that driving in the lane adjacent is a hard violation of the law which would get you ticketed.

Regardless, this is something most people don't know. Everyone knows that you have to pull over and move out of the way when emergency vehicles are moving, but not many people know that you're prohibited from driving in the right lane when emergency vehicles or disabled vehicles are on the right shoulder.

If there was ever a time to just give a warning, it was this. However, as I said I'm pretty sure this was a trap.

Comments

1marley1: You know how many cops and tow truck drivers are killed on dude of road? Everybody knows you move the fuck over.

JimmyG_415: Offset ........I have never heard of this rule,

drufdajewgod: Its a Law here too, and yes i know about it.

Load Metric
    Are you fucking serious?

Move the fuck over!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 1marley1 View Post
    You know how many cops and tow truck drivers are killed on dude of road? Everybody knows you move the fuck over.
    I wasn't a danger to anyone. This was a standard traffic stop, the shoulder was wide, the officer was standing on the other side of the car being stopped, and I was not drifting out of my lane whatsoever.

I understand the concern about drivers hitting stopped emergency vehicles on the shoulder, but this is totally "warning" material if the car going by isn't actually a danger, which I wasn't (which they admitted).

Also, beyond all of that, this whole thing appears to have been a trap, which is especially bullshit.

Load Metric
    Are you fucking serious?

Move the fuck over!
    He actually made a conscious decision to move over closer to the traffic stop for some unknown reason.

This law has existed in Canada for as long as I can remember. Anybody who doesn't slow down or pull over would be considered an asshole on the same level as someone passing a line of traffic then trying to merge at the front of the line because of the obvious lane closure causing the long line of traffic to begin with.

I find it hard to believe that you've been driving all these years & have never pulled over or seen anybody pull over away from police or emergency vehicles with lights flashing. I've rented a car in the USA on 4 separate trips(3 in Vegas & once in Phoenix) & drove no more then 400 miles total & have pulled over & seen others pull over on at least 2 occasions in this scenario.

There's also a law here in Canada, & I'm sure in the US that if you meet an emergency vehicle with lights flashing on a 2 lane hiway you're supposed to slow down & pull over so don't get caught with that one either.

Just look at this as a $198 driving lesson.

edit: BTW you're not prohibited from driving in the right lane but you need to slow the fuck down. It doesn't say slow down "if possible".
    Last edited by Hockey Guy; 07-12-2019 at 08:56 PM.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I know money is never the issue with you and ya it's a borderline chicken ass ticket but you're drivin away with 50k in your pocket. This has to soften the blow, no?

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I got pulled over for the same thing once, just received a warning though

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin Micunt View Post
    Let me guess you were apologetic and somewhat genuinely sorry.

Didn't ask about how new the law was or ask for any sort of supervisor, etc

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin Micunt View Post
    Let me guess you were apologetic and somewhat genuinely sorry.

Didn't ask about how new the law was or ask for any sort of supervisor, etc
    Basically, mine occurred in Florida. I did state to him that I never had heard of that law before and inquired whether it was a state law or a federal law but acted very apologetic and was let off with a warning.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Are you fucking serious?

Move the fuck over!
    He actually made a conscious decision to move over closer to the traffic stop for some unknown reason.

This law has existed in Canada for as long as I can remember. Anybody who doesn't slow down or pull over would be considered an asshole on the same level as someone passing a line of traffic then trying to merge at the front of the line because of the obvious lane closure causing the long line of traffic to begin with.

I find it hard to believe that you've been driving all these years & have never pulled over or seen anybody pull over away from police or emergency vehicles with lights flashing. I've rented a car in the USA on 4 separate trips(3 in Vegas & once in Phoenix) & drove no more then 400 miles total & have pulled over & seen others pull over on at least 2 occasions in this scenario.

There's also a law here in Canada, & I'm sure in the US that if you meet an emergency vehicle with lights flashing on a 2 lane hiway you're supposed to slow down & pull over so don't get caught with that one either.

edit: BTW you're not prohibited from driving in the right lane but you need to slow the fuck down. It doesn't say slow down "if possible".
    I made the decision to move to the right because tards were speeding by despite seeing a traffic stop (maybe they felt the cops wouldn't get them if already pulling over someone else?), and I didn't want to be in the way of those cars.

I think you're misunderstanding what I wrote.

I didn't fail to pull over or pull away from a moving emergency vehicle. Doing that is super obvious and everyone knows that before they start driving at age 16. In fact, the requirement to do that is hammered into your head during all driver's education and training courses.

This was a matter of two cops already stopped along the shoulder and giving someone a ticket. No cars were moving, nor would they be until the traffic stop was over.

I have never seen people approach a traffic stop and jerk out of the right lane and get away from it.

In fact, the law requiring you to do this was fairly recent (last 10 years or so) in both California and Nevada, according to the NHP trooper himself.

Also, nobody was making the case that I was dangerously close to hitting them, or putting anyone in danger. They conceded that nothing I personally did was dangerous, but simply that "it's the law" to either move out of that lane or slow way down, and I violated it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post

I made the decision to move to the right because tards were speeding by despite seeing a traffic stop (maybe they felt the cops wouldn't get them if already pulling over someone else?), and I didn't want to be in the way of those cars.

I think you're misunderstanding what I wrote.

I didn't fail to pull over or pull away from a moving emergency vehicle. Doing that is super obvious and everyone knows that before they start driving at age 16. In fact, the requirement to do that is hammered into your head during all driver's education and training courses.

This was a matter of two cops already stopped along the shoulder and giving someone a ticket. No cars were moving, nor would they be until the traffic stop was over.

I have never seen people approach a traffic stop and jerk out of the right lane and get away from it.

In fact, the law requiring you to do this was fairly recent (last 10 years or so) in both California and Nevada, according to the NHP trooper himself.

Also, nobody was making the case that I was dangerously close to hitting them, or putting anyone in danger. They conceded that nothing I personally did was dangerous, but simply that "it's the law" to either move out of that lane or slow way down, and I violated it.
    I think the whole purpose of this law is to avoid what tow truck driver's face daily. Anytime you have flashing lights ahead of you either stop if there is one lane or swing over to the left lane to avoid potential danger. Your judgment of what the cop's situation was while driving is unfounded.

Comments

MumblesBadly: :this

Load Metric
    good for the NHP, trapped another socal sucka. kiss that money goodbye, los angeleno.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Actually my driving record is pristine

Load Metric
    Actually my driving record is pristine

Yep, we already knew that. You’ve clearly only ever been caught in revenue traps.

I mean really I doubt you’ve ever been wrong.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Gold
    Load Metric
    You fuckers still up in here taking swings at Druff's perfection?

Gotta admire the tenacity.
    shit·show
    /ˈSHit ˌSHō/
    noun
    1) a situation or event marked by chaos or controversy. 2) This site.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I love how jsearles originally comes at me in this thread, then concedes he's wrong, then disappears for a few pages, and then returns to just flat-out troll.

Gotta love Welchy and his dedication.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Druff,

I enjoyed listening to your argument...it all makes sense. Cops want drivers to be alert and aware when they see lights on the right side of the roadway as to not hit anyone or anything. What you missed was exactly "how" cops know that you're alert and aware. They know this by requesting that you either move over or slow down. If you don't, they assume that you're not aware and alert, thus the ticket. I think that's the short answer.

More Comments:

I grew up in NJ where 18-wheel tractor trailer drivers made a game of driving as close to state troopers as possible so that their passenger side mirror would spin the broad-brimmed hats off their heads -- kind of like the recent YouTube fad of kicking a screw cap off a bottle. As you can imagine, many troopers were killed as they routinely enact business on the driver's side of the vehicle. Even if that's not the standard practice in NV, there are plenty of other reasons that a cop or driver might have to be on the driver's side of the car.

I'm in Florida now, and they have the same Move Over law. It's been on the books for several years now, and I think I first heard of it on the local news in January when they have a segment that covers all of the new laws that go into effect that coming year. The biggest error in the law is its title. As you illustrated in your Ohio example, you don't have to move over, and drivers that think you must are the ones causing accidents. In Florida, you just have to slow down to 10mph under the posted speed limit. I see drivers trying to move over all the time into a lane with cars moving much faster than they. It's a well intentioned law, but has a poor title. I also agree that, like the red light cameras, they prevent few if any accidents from occurring.

There's also a law on the books in Florida, and elsewhere, that you cannot hang out in any other lane other than the right side lane. If the road is deserted and 3-lanes wide, you can get a ticket for driving in the middle or left side lanes for more than a certain distance (somewhere between 1 and 10 miles as I recall). I think Nevada has such a law, so watch yourself on those lonely drives to/from Las Vegas.

Vic

Comments

MumblesBadly: Thanks for posting this. I’m in FL and passed a “Move Over” law sign by the side of the highway. Was going to post a still from my dashcam as a PSA. (Really for Druff, in case he visits FL anytime soon.)
    Last edited by alpha1243; 07-25-2019 at 04:46 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

Thread is back. It was temporarily moved out of public view while the case was being adjudicated, because it would have been foolish for me to have left it up during that period.

Then there was a weird delay in getting the decision due to an error with the court's website, so I had to leave it down until now.

I actually did the trial by fax, so I didn't have to physically go to court.

My defense was basically a form of what I already posted here, minus the criticism of the law itself.

The defense stated:

- I moved over to the right lane, traveling 69mph, because traffic was zooming by in the other two lanes at high rates of speed, many between 80-95 mph.

- I did see the traffic stop about a half mile ahead, but felt it was safest to stay in the right lane, given the danger of traveling so much slower than the other traffic in the other two lanes, and that moving to those lanes might also surprise faster traffic behind me.

- I was not aware of the Move Over Law at the time.

- I was driving in a safe and alert manner, at the speed limit, and was not distracted or on my phone. Even the officer who pulled me over will acknowledge this.

- I went by the traffic stop safely and did not cause a danger to anyone, nor was anyone outside of their car when I passed.

- My main concern at the time was to drive safely and not impede traffic or cause an accident in the other two lanes.

- I plan to always follow the Move Over Law in the future, now that I know it exists.

I squeezed the entire thing onto one page so I didn't overwhelm the judge with a giant multi-page wall of text which he wouldn't want to read.

Result:

Fine reduced to $98, violation changed to "Illegal stopping or standing" (NRS 484B.450), which is a parking violation and won't affect my record.

Once I pay the $98, it will be like it never happened, aside from my Jew wallet being a bit thinner.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Bonus anecdote:

Near the end of my trip, I was on a highway with a speed limit of 80kph, and suddenly the car in front of me abruptly slammed on his brakes as hard as he could. Obviously I slammed on my brakes, too, in order to avoid rear-ending him, and while I didn't come that close to hitting him, the abrupt brake-slamming caused a "whiplash" effect and made my girlfriend's neck hurt.

We didn't understand the reason for this sudden brake-slamming, where the speed of traffic abruptly went from about 85kph to 45kph.

Then we looked to the right and noticed that, three cars up there was a traffic stop, and someone slammed on the brakes to avoid violating the Nova Scotia Move Over Law, and caused a chain reaction of the next several cars also having to slam on their brakes abruptly.

Made me think of the multi-car pileup I read about in Ohio also related to this law. No accidents occurred here, but it easily could have.

Any law which causes certain drivers to slam on their brakes without immediate danger in front of them is a dangerous law.

This is the reason why those bullshit red light cameras in some places have INCREASED accidents, rather than decreased them.

Comments

Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe: maintain proper following distance

duped_samaritan: air cushion principle

MumblesBadly: What Zap said!

Load Metric
    BUMP

Thread is back. It was temporarily moved out of public view while the case was being adjudicated, because it would have been foolish for me to have left it up during that period.

Then there was a weird delay in getting the decision due to an error with the court's website, so I had to leave it down until now.

I actually did the trial by fax, so I didn't have to physically go back to court.

My defense was basically a form of what I already posted here, minus the criticism of the law itself.

The defense stated:

- I moved over to the right lane, traveling 69mph, because traffic was zooming by in the other two lanes at high rates of speed, many between 80-95 mph.

- I did see the traffic stop about a half mile ahead, but felt it was safest to stay in the right lane, given the danger of traveling so much slower than the other traffic in the other two lanes, and that moving to those lanes might also surprise faster traffic behind me.

- I was not aware of the Move Over Law at the time.

- I was driving in a safe and alert manner, at the speed limit, and was not distracted or on my phone. Even the officer who pulled me over will acknowledge this.

- I went by the traffic stop safely and did not cause a danger to anyone, nor was anyone outside of their car when I passed.

- My main concern at the time was to drive safely and not impede traffic or cause an accident in the other two lanes.

- I plan to always follow the Move Over Law in the future, now that I know it exists.

I squeezed the entire thing onto one page so I didn't overwhelm the judge with a giant multi-page wall of text which he wouldn't want to read.

Result:

Fine reduced to $98, violation changed to "Illegal stopping or standing" (NRS 484B.450), which is a parking violation and won't affect my record.

Once I pay the $98, it will be like it never happened, aside from my Jew wallet being a bit thinner.
    Congratulations, you weaseled your way out of a well deserved ticket.
    Sure the cop could have just given you a warning, but you moved into the slow lane from the middle lane so I reckon you deserved it.
    How much do moving violations effect your insurance?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty_Aus View Post
    Congratulations, you weaseled your way out of a well deserved ticket.
    Sure the cop could have just given you a warning, but you moved into the slow lane from the middle lane so I reckon you deserved it.
    How much do moving violations effect your insurance?
    I didn't weasel out of anything. I paid $98.

Also, the court ruled upon this based upon the true and correct facts I sent them in that fax. It's not like I lied about what happened and the judge bought it.

I actually mentioned in my fax, "Unlike most traffic issues brought before you, my assessment of the situation is identical to that of the officer’s who pulled me over."

So I admitted 100% to everything in the ticket, and simply stated the facts surrounding why it happened. That's not weaseling in any way.

Moving violations affect your insurance big time in the US. A single moving violation can as much as double your insurance rates (or thereabouts) for 3 years.

Thread Information