Thread: Weird: The Al Yankovic Story

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Weird: The Al Yankovic Story

I saw this movie advertised on my Facebook feed a bunch of times, even though it's a year old.

It's a mockumentary about Weird Al Yankovic's life. Roughly follows his timeline but inserts a lot of fake and absurd elements, as well.

I've watched 30 minutes so far and it's pretty funny.

Even better.... it's free. Roku is streaming it free with no commercials, and you don't need any app or subscription to watch:

https://therokuchannel.roku.com/watc...6888a59b151058

Here's the trailer:

Yes, somehow Harry Potter is Al.

Comments

Nikki: biography parody: good movie

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I saw this movie advertised on my Facebook feed a bunch of times, even though it's a year old.

It's a mockumentary about Weird Al Yankovic's life. Roughly follows his timeline but inserts a lot of fake and absurd elements, as well.

I've watched 30 minutes so far and it's pretty funny.

Even better.... it's free. Roku is streaming it free with no commercials, and you don't need any app or subscription to watch:

https://therokuchannel.roku.com/watc...6888a59b151058

Here's the trailer:

Yes, somehow Harry Potter is Al.
    The whole Daniel Radcliffe playing Al was just weird to me but also oddly well done. I watched this months ago. Its not bad actually.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I agree it was a strange casting choice.

Radcliffe is like 5'5, while Weird Al is around 6'. While Al is not a physically imposing guy, he's not a pipsqueak either.

Load Metric
    He dated a womans tennis player top 10 can't remember her name somethin ending in ova i think

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANKRIZZO View Post
    He dated a womans tennis player top 10 can't remember her name somethin ending in ova i think

Gee, that narrows it down to about 45 women
    En boca cerrada, no entran moscas

Load Metric
    you just got roasted

Load Metric
    I remembered it was Caroline Wozniacki

Platinum
    Load Metric
    My dad was in the military and they’d have free concerts, mostly old acts like “the guess who” and weird Al was one of them. He put on a good show he could hop around stage with one leg behind his head while playing “like a surgeon”

Although for Al that was probably just about his peak during the mid 80s. My brother used to make up fake songs like Al but just for fun.

Black Velveeta Cheese to Alannah Myles’ minor hit Black Velvet was actually pretty good.

I’ll have to check it out.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANKRIZZO View Post
    I remembered it was Caroline Wozniacki
    Al is sixty something years old, Christian, got married in 2001 and is still married. Caroline was 10 years old in 2001. Seems very unlikely they dated, although I hope it's true.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    It's interesting how this documentary mixed real, mostly real, and completely fake stuff into the story.

Here's some examples:

REAL
    - Al really got his first accordion as a kid from a door-to-door salesman

- Al really recorded "My Balogna" in a bathroom, in order to take advantage of the echo (though in reality it was a college bathroom, whereas in the movie it was a bus station bathroom)

- Al's career really was launched by radio personality Dr. Demento

FAKE
    - Al's father was not abusive, nor was his mother distant. His parents were actually supportive of his pursuing of music, whereas the documentary depicted his dad ashamed of him, even after he became famous.

- The name "Weird Al" was not invented by Dr. Demento, but rather a name given to him in derogatory fashion by others in his college dorm, who believed him to be strange and awkward. He eventually took it on as a stage name.

- Dr. Demento did not discover him during a small-time concert at a bar, but rather received tapes from Al to play on his show -- first when Demento spoke at Al's high school, and later when Al mailed him tapes. The documentary depicted a different DJ receiving Al's tapes in the mail, and Demento discovering him later.

- Al's band was recruited by his manager, whereas in the documentary, they were his roommates who all happened to have musical talent, "but never mentioned it before"

Kuntmissioner is correct, though. Al has been with his wife since 2001, and is a religious Christian. His Christianity is the reason all of his songs are clean, and he also has never been into alcohol or drugs. He is also publicly apolitical and has never once spoken about politics, though it is believed he's a moderate Democrat.

Load Metric
    hey todge shuuuutup though

Platinum
    Load Metric
    It's interesting how this documentary mixed real, mostly real, and completely fake stuff into the story.

Here's some examples:

REAL

- Al really recorded "My Balogna" in a bathroom, in order to take advantage of the echo (though in reality it was a college bathroom, whereas in the movie it was a bus station bathroom)

FAKE
    - Al's father was not abusive, nor was his mother distant. His parents were actually supportive of his pursuing of music, whereas the documentary depicted his dad ashamed of him, even after he became famous.

- The name "Weird Al" was not invented by Dr. Demento, but rather a name given to him in derogatory fashion by others in his college dorm, who believed him to be strange and awkward. He eventually took it on as a stage name.

- Dr. Demento did not discover him during a small-time concert at a bar, but rather received tapes from Al to play on his show -- first when Demento spoke at Al's high school, and later when Al mailed him tapes. The documentary depicted a different DJ receiving Al's tapes in the mail, and Demento discovering him later.

- Al's band was recruited by his manager, whereas in the documentary, they were his roommates who all happened to have musical talent, "but never mentioned it before"

Kuntmissioner is correct, though. Al has been with his wife since 2001, and is a religious Christian. His Christianity is the reason all of his songs are clean, and he also has never been into alcohol or drugs. He is also publicly apolitical and has never once spoken about politics, though it is believed he's a moderate Democrat.
    Are you actually referring to a movie starring Harry Potter as Weird Al a “documentary”?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post

Here's some examples:

REAL

FAKE

Are you actually referring to a movie starring Harry Potter as Weird Al a “documentary”?
    It's presented as one, but much of it is fake.

Load Metric
    lol it is not presented as a documentary you fucking retard

Comments

Texter: Yep

Load Metric
    I remember when he put out 'Amish Paradise' and it was considered lame shit to like on the playground when I was in grade school.

Opinion unchanged, only faggots like him.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nunbeater View Post
    I tried to tell him…ha.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nunbeater View Post
    Weird: The Al Yankovic Story is a 2022 American biographical parody film directed by Eric Appel (in his feature directorial debut), who co-wrote the screenplay with Al Yankovic. The film is a satire of biopics and is loosely based on Yankovic's life and career as an accordionist and parody songwriter.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weird:...Yankovic_Story

It's a biopic parody, close enough. Biopics and documentaries are similar, other than the biopic covering an individual's life, and a documentary covering a specific time period or event.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    A documentary is a non-fiction picture, generally without actors (documenting reality). Sometimes a documentary can feature some recreated scenes, but if the whole thing is recreations then that is a movie, or in this case, a comedic biopic or mockumentary.

Thread Information