Thread: Horrible ruling forces player to raise for almost half his stack when he just attempted to call smaller bet at WSOP Main

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Horrible ruling forces player to raise for almost half his stack when he just attempted to call smaller bet at WSOP Main

According to this rule, if the pot was 25k or more, then the ruling was correct. But it appears it wasn't.

I had always thought that simply throwing in an oversized chip when facing a bet is always a call, never a raise. I thought the oversized chip can only be bet at full value if you either state it ("25k") or if there's no bet yet, and you're throwing it in as the first bet (and the pot is smaller than the chip value).

They would not reverse the ruling. He was force to "call" 25k, and lost the hand.

WSOP Main Event players start with 60k in chips.

This was the first year the green 25k chips were introduced at the beginning of the event. They should have made it VERY CLEAR to all players what constitutes a 25k bet with them.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

According to this rule, if the pot was 25k or more, then the ruling was correct. But it appears it wasn't.

I had always thought that simply throwing in an oversized chip when facing a bet is always a call, never a raise. I thought the oversized chip can only be bet at full value if you either state it ("25k") or if there's no bet yet, and you're throwing it in as the first bet (and the pot is smaller than the chip value).

They would not reverse the ruling. He was force to "call" 25k, and lost the hand.

WSOP Main Event players start with 60k in chips.

This was the first year the green 25k chips were introduced at the beginning of the event. They should have made it VERY CLEAR to all players what constitutes a 25k bet with them.
    This a terrible ruling, their own rule book shows it as wrong lol … WSOP fails

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Rule 60 applies to verbal declarations. Rule 98 should be used here. It's a long rule, here is the portion that applies:

98. Prior Bet Chips Not Pulled In: If a player with prior-bet chips not yet pulled in faces a raise and bets silently, the bet is ruled as follows:
    a. If prior-bet chips don’t cover the call:
    1. if the prior chips are not disturbed:
    i. merely dropping a new overchip onto the prior chip(s) is a call.
    Unless the player picked up the 3100 and tossed it forward together with the 25k chip, it's 100% a call.

Thread Information