Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** NBA 2019-20 thread

Load Metric
    Lakers chain guy gif you trash haters

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    imagine if kawhi chooses the lakers
    that would surprise me...he doesn't seem like the type who wants to be involved with that circus shit...

Comments

Sanlmar: If there is a god

Load Metric
    well this fucking moron went and did it its now happening

Load Metric
    Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 561
Size:  2.41 MB

Load Metric
    honestly at this point i might just post that in every thread on this god forsaken corner of the internet

cuz fuck you thats why

Load Metric
    whats that?

once more for the cheap seats ok i gots you Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 582
Size:  2.41 MB

Load Metric
    hmmmmm apparently if the deal goes through on july 6 -- the earliest possible day -- instead of july 30, the lakers will only have about $23 million in cap space (or $27 million if AD waives his 15% trade kicker, which he is not expected to).

this takes them out of the running for butler, kemba or any elite free agent, who are all looking at a $30+ max from other teams

if the trade was delayed until july 30, the lakers would have max cap space. this would require them to actually draft the soon-to-be pelicans 4th round pick and sign him.

however, because newly signed players can't be traded for 30 days, this would prevent the pelicans from having the player for the july summer league. also it's being reported by woj and others that the pelicans want to trade the 4th pick, so they really need it sooner rather than later.

so expect the trade to happen on july 6

decent article on the subject here

https://www.latimes.com/sports/laker...616-story.html

Load Metric
    Shut up Blake

Load Metric
    Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 606
Size:  4.45 MB

Load Metric
    hmmmmm apparently if the deal goes through on july 6 -- the earliest possible day -- instead of july 30, the lakers will only have about $23 million in cap space (or $27 million if AD waives his 15% trade kicker, which he is not expected to).

this takes them out of the running for butler, kemba or any elite free agent, who are all looking at a $30+ max from other teams

if the trade was delayed until july 30, the lakers would have max cap space. this would require them to actually draft the soon-to-be pelicans 4th round pick and sign him.

however, because newly signed players can't be traded for 30 days, this would prevent the pelicans from having the player for the july summer league. also it's being reported by woj and others that the pelicans want to trade the 4th pick, so they really need it sooner rather than later.

Yeah I think the trade deadline is what brings it down to $27, and Davis taking his $4 million brings it down to $23 million.

This is like the perfect test case for a general curiosity I’ve had regarding if there is other ways to funnel these guys money. Like a $4 million dollar player occasionally wins you a playoff game. Boogie, I believe made $5 million coming off injury. These good teams usually can get ring chasers for that money. It’s irrelevant to teams, that $. I don’t think you’ll ever find an owner or team directly tied to paying someone, but a shoe company or cable company. Like if you’re Nike, what’s $4 million to have Kemba go from dude I see once a year to a guy I’ll see every week if you’re selling shoes? You pay Davis his bonus. Those guys can make the difference between being a second round exit or contender. It feels impossible shenanigans wouldn’t be considered. Losing a team or whatever would be too punitive for the team itself, but it seems like someone has to be able to funnel money. Shit there is Lakers homers that would probably just give Davis a $4 million dollar home. Dudes do it for colleges. If Davis takes his $4 million, I’ll have to think it doesn’t happen. Its irrelevant money, but could make a difference.

Comments

Sanlmar: Your NBA takes are must read for me.

Load Metric
    ^^^^
    Never occurred to me before

If the NCAA has taught us anything it’s how to get money from supporters to athletes.

Old old playbook.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    ^^^^
    Never occurred to me before

If the NCAA has taught us anything it’s how to get money from supporters to athletes.

Old old playbook.
    Would you become a Lakers fan if they secured a commitment from Kawhi, and then traded Lebron to Minnesota for cap space?

I imagine s scene like the end of Training Day with Lebron as Denzel.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

Yeah I think the trade deadline is what brings it down to $27, and Davis taking his $4 million brings it down to $23 million.

This is like the perfect test case for a general curiosity I’ve had regarding if there is other ways to funnel these guys money. Like a $4 million dollar player occasionally wins you a playoff game. Boogie, I believe made $5 million coming off injury. These good teams usually can get ring chasers for that money. It’s irrelevant to teams, that $. I don’t think you’ll ever find an owner or team directly tied to paying someone, but a shoe company or cable company. Like if you’re Nike, what’s $4 million to have Kemba go from dude I see once a year to a guy I’ll see every week if you’re selling shoes? You pay Davis his bonus. Those guys can make the difference between being a second round exit or contender. It feels impossible shenanigans wouldn’t be considered. Losing a team or whatever would be too punitive for the team itself, but it seems like someone has to be able to funnel money. Shit there is Lakers homers that would probably just give Davis a $4 million dollar home. Dudes do it for colleges. If Davis takes his $4 million, I’ll have to think it doesn’t happen. Its irrelevant money, but could make a difference.
    not sure now common this is. the clippers were actually fined for pitching deandre jordan with a lexus endorsement during a free agency meeting. apparently it's ok to vaguely tell a player "you'll make a lot more in endorsements in this market" but actually directing specific companies to players is off-limits.

teams could get absolutely destroyed if they're caught fucking around with the cap though. remember what happened with former number one overall pick, Joe Smith? he turn down an $80 million extension with the Warriors and signed with the Timberwolves for near minimum salary. He planned on signing a couple small deals so that the Timberwolves would get his bird rights and then sign a monster contract (which the Timberwolves had already agreed to but constitutes illegally circumventing the salary cap).

the NBA ended up finding out about it, fined them $3.5 million and took away five first round draft picks.

Load Metric
    I don't believe there is under the table money like this in the nba, at least towards players. You can't sell discount property or give shit away to NBA players without people finding out about it, or really do anything at all legally with land, which is how people knew Lebron was going to LA well before it happened. The best you can do, IMO, is give the beggars and hangers-on jobs after the fact, and when the player is getting $20M+, that's his fuckin job.

If you want to bring/keep a guy in a place, you might be able to give him some large dollars to do local car ads or local chain ads, but the NBA salary cap has made all that shit secondary. In comparison, shit's a pittance.

What's the salary cap wizardry to giving Fred vanVleet $9M/year for 2 years? That shit either eats at you alive as you go out of the playoffs in the first round, or he helps you win you a championship.

As far as extra money goes, the only things that could ever effect a max (or close to max) deal are state taxes, climate, or TV deals/opportunities in LA or NY.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    I don't believe there is under the table money like this in the nba, at least towards players. You can't sell discount property or give shit away to NBA players without people finding out about it, or really do anything at all legally with land, which is how people knew Lebron was going to LA well before it happened. The best you can do, IMO, is give the beggars and hangers-on jobs after the fact, and when the player is getting $20M+, that's his fuckin job.

If you want to bring/keep a guy in a place, you might be able to give him some large dollars to do local car ads or local chain ads, but the NBA salary cap has made all that shit secondary. In comparison, shit's a pittance.

What's the salary cap wizardry to giving Fred vanVleet $9M/year for 2 years? That shit either eats at you alive as you go out of the playoffs in the first round, or he helps you win you a championship.

As far as extra money goes, the only things that could ever effect a max (or close to max) deal are state taxes, climate, or TV deals/opportunities in LA or NY.
    I agree it’s a pittance, so why take the $4 million? Rich Paul and this AD thing got messy. He let Paul run the show and took a lot of heat. Agents make on the low end 4% on contracts. 10-20% on endorsements. On a $150 million dollar contract that’s $6 million right there. Klutch is just an extension of Lebron obviously. He can’t be the paperwork, but clearly it doesn’t exist without him. Is there any way to know AD pays his agent? AD is in Space Jam 2. Who controls what he’s paid?

I agree no one is ever directly paying these guys, but I’ve heard all kindss of talk of warriors guys and start ups just from proximity to Silicon Valley. It just seems impossible for me to believe you can even control for it. Old rich billionaires doing this or that to help their team. I’m legit just curious to see if he takes it. I’m cynical.

Those extra $ and low end players are simply more lottery ticket to me. When you say FVV, that’s a ticket that paid off. I’ve seen Druff argue all that Dodger dead money through the years didn’t make them a big salary team. Those were shots. Big market is being able to eat that money and sign another good guy. The Indians take a shot and it fails, they’re calling a guy up from the minors.

The news has been all these restaurants in Toronto who have Kawhi eats free for life here signs on the door. A real estate company offered him a (iirc)$2.5 million dollar penthouse for free if he stays. Obviously he doesn’t need any of that, but how do you control for that as a league? It’s clear there is handshake deals between teams when guys come on last year before free agency. Chris Paul. No one gives that contract unless you had already agreed to it. Love came on last year to Cavs and they shipped Wiggins. They know he’s resigning. You can’t be the team or player that backs out on that deal or you’re done. That’s already circumvention of the cap.

Maybe AD takes the $ and the incentives or favors go to the young guy who eventually signs for 2/$9. He isn’t rich yet by NBA standards. I’ve heard rumblings around the Clips bench and people questioning their deals. I’m just a skeptic.

On phone, apologize for all the typos

Load Metric
    Las Vegas is charging a tax on low IQ Los Angeles visitors.

This is amazing. Lonzo Ball is gone now.

Tablet - NBA Team Wins - Lakers 2019-2020 Reg. Season Wins - Under +54½ Wins -130

2019 Wins
    1.Warriors 57
    2.Nuggets 54

Can an NBA team win with atrocious ownership and management?
    How did history record Cleveland ownership & mgmt?

Platinum
    Load Metric

Tablet - NBA Team Wins - Lakers 2019-2020 Reg. Season Wins - Under +54½ Wins -130

2019 Wins
    1.Warriors 57
    2.Nuggets 54

that number looks very tasty...price sucks, but whatever...

betting over you have to hope:
    1. palinka builds a decent team with the cap space...
    2. LeBron grinding out a full season at full strength in season 17 without taking nights off...
    3. AD grinding out a full season at full strength when he has a history of nagging injuries...

fucking helluva parlay...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post

2019 Wins
    1.Warriors 57
    2.Nuggets 54

2. LeBron grinding out a full season at full strength in season 17 without taking nights off...
    3. AD grinding out a full season at full strength when he has a history of nagging injuries...

4. AD and LBJ don’t go to war. The LBJ dickhead factor.

Ex:

AD, “what are you talking about, I don’t play defense? Serious, bro?”

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post

4. AD and LBJ don’t go to war. The LBJ dickhead factor.

Ex:

AD, “what are you talking about, I don’t play defense? Serious, bro?”
    aaaaaaaaaaah yes, passive aggressive LeBron...forgot about that one...

im crying my books don't have this up yet...I want a taste even before FA, then add after I see what they do...

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Name:  Capture63.PNG
Views: 453
Size:  9.0 KB

think im gonna have me a little taste...just need to think about position size now...

Comments

Sanlmar: XXL

Thread Information