Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** NBA 2019-20 thread

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    More Knicks drama.

Their front office is avoiding addressing the public or media, even after firing their coach.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ing-their-team

Also, in their 1-point loss to the Pacers yesterday, they became the first team in 20 years to not allow a point in the final 5 minutes, but still lose the game.

Load Metric
    Anthony Davis is incredible in person.

Yes, the Blazers suck this year but my god was he lethal.

First time seeing Lebron in person when he gives a shit.

Lakers are crazy good.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I get it, it's mid-December...

but spo takes the heat into philly and hands the 76ers their first loss of the season at home...

not betting that over 43.5/44.5 is gonna fucking hurt for awhile...

Load Metric
    Heat vs. Pacers: Jimmy Butler blows kisses at T.J. Warren after scuffle, ejection; Warren flips off Butler

So following another ED commercial (HIMS) on NBATV, I saw the battle.

Some old school 90’s warring & trash talk.

Appointment tv next matchup interrupts this boring exhibition season.

Load Metric
    After the game, Butler told reporters Warren was not in his "f--king league,"

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I am tired of the 16-team NBA playoffs, where it's almost assured that at least one team with a losing record will make the playoffs, which is an embarrassment.

At the moment, both leagues would have teams substantially under .500 in the playoffs. This will probably correct itself somewhat by the end, as some teams tank at the end, but the system is still awful. It also renders the regular season as mostly a joke.

They probably won't do this, but I'd love to see the following change:'

1) Playoff teams consist of the 3 division leaders and 3 wildcards (the next 3 best records) in each conference

2) First round is worst division winner versus wildcard #3, and the other two wildcards play each other. Top 2 division winners get a bye. Series is 3 games long (so the other teams don't get rusty from waiting around.) Homecourt goes to the team with the better record, but the division winner always gets homecourt in the first round against the wildcard.

3) Second round is already down to 4 teams, just as before, and is 5 games. #1 seed plays the winner of the two wildcard games, #2 seed plays the winner of the other series.

4) Third round, the conference finals, is 7 games.

5) NBA Finals is 7 games, of course.

So basically you're getting a bye for the top 2 division winners (good for load management, too), and avoiding shitty #7/#8 seeds with losing records from making the playoffs.

What you gain from this:

1) More incentive to win division

2) Top 2 division winners get rewarded with a bye for their excellent regular season record

3) Teams with losing records unlikely to make playoffs

4) Mostly boring first round reduced to 3 games

5) While 4 fewer teams will make the postseason, it will bring some excitement back to the regular season, as you'll have more good teams jockeying for a playoff spot, whereas now almost all teams over .500 make it.

Comments?

Comments

JimmyG_415: I like it, playing 82 games to decide the top 55% is a joke.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    never gonna happen...

they went to full 7 game series for all rounds sometime in the early aughts (think that was the time period) because they don't want upsets of the top teams like happened ages ago with DEN v SEA...

but the bigger point is that they're addicted to the money that all these games gets them, so reducing games is gonna be a non-starter...plus the networks need those extra games to generate revenue from the fucking assload of money they paid for the rights...

this leads into the discussion of a 70-72 game season...never...gonna...happen...they'll continue the dance with the whole 'load management' thing because nobody wants to give up money...the league will continue to garner a massive deal from the networks and give them a fucking shitty ass regular season product...until the networks stand up to the league and say 'we're not paying a shitton of money for this 'load management' bullshit' this stuff will go on because the league has no incentive to cut games and lose out on revenue...and with amazon getting into the NFL game there doesn't look to be a shortage of new age outlets that would bid for these rights...

Load Metric
    I believe the Clippers will be in the finals. I love the team but it is so clear to me they do not give a crap about the regular season.

It clearly doesn’t matter to them what seed they draw. This may be the next bit of analytical genius. I think they are right. They can load manage the entire year or they can play as the lowest seed in round one. The answer appears easy to them and I think they are right.

So, I don’t even bother watching them. I actually watch more Lakers - all the while wondering what-the-fuck they are doing to Old Man LeBron and brittle AD by playing them every night 4 quarters for such a marginal reward.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    I believe the Clippers will be in the finals. I love the team but it is so clear to me they do not give a crap about the regular season.

It clearly doesn’t matter to them what seed they draw. This may be the next bit of analytical genius. I think they are right. They can load manage the entire year or they can play as the lowest seed in round one. The answer appears easy to them and I think they are right.

So, I don’t even bother watching them. I actually watch more Lakers - all the while wondering what-the-fuck they are doing to Old Man LeBron and brittle AD by playing them every night 4 quarters for such a marginal reward.
    I agree on clippers. Totally mailing it in. They have a better team now, and also have more flexibility to tweak. Lakers minutes are crazy. Not cavs level crazy but crazy. I looked up clippers price like a month ago. The books know. No value to be had.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I am tired of the 16-team NBA playoffs, where it's almost assured that at least one team with a losing record will make the playoffs, which is an embarrassment.

At the moment, both leagues would have teams substantially under .500 in the playoffs. This will probably correct itself somewhat by the end, as some teams tank at the end, but the system is still awful. It also renders the regular season as mostly a joke.

They probably won't do this, but I'd love to see the following change:'

1) Playoff teams consist of the 3 division leaders and 3 wildcards (the next 3 best records) in each conference

2) First round is worst division winner versus wildcard #3, and the other two wildcards play each other. Top 2 division winners get a bye. Series is 3 games long (so the other teams don't get rusty from waiting around.) Homecourt goes to the team with the better record, but the division winner always gets homecourt in the first round against the wildcard.

3) Second round is already down to 4 teams, just as before, and is 5 games. #1 seed plays the winner of the two wildcard games, #2 seed plays the winner of the other series.

4) Third round, the conference finals, is 7 games.

5) NBA Finals is 7 games, of course.

So basically you're getting a bye for the top 2 division winners (good for load management, too), and avoiding shitty #7/#8 seeds with losing records from making the playoffs.

What you gain from this:

1) More incentive to win division

2) Top 2 division winners get rewarded with a bye for their excellent regular season record

3) Teams with losing records unlikely to make playoffs

4) Mostly boring first round reduced to 3 games

5) While 4 fewer teams will make the postseason, it will bring some excitement back to the regular season, as you'll have more good teams jockeying for a playoff spot, whereas now almost all teams over .500 make it.

Comments?
    These are really good ideas. Since divisions exist, I wish the league could somehow capitalize on them to foster rivalries, etc. They are essentially irrelevant at the moment aside from teams play within their division more often.

Unlike other professional leagues, the one thing that is pretty absent in the NBA is rivalries - this would help a lot.

Definitely agree with the playoffs being way too inclusive; I actually felt bad for the Miami Heat in 2012 or 2013 when they had to show up and play the pathetic Charlotte Bobcats (I had season tix, smh) in a pathetic first round series for an easy sweep. Milwaukee and Detroit last year was ghastly. #1 seeds should get buys somehow; winning your division should come with more than home court advantage.

While I believe and agree with the science behind load management, it fucking sucks for fans. What Kawhi Leonard does to keep himself right for the postseason works, but is awful for fans. The NBA needs to figure this out; watch Kevin Durant only play 60 games for the rest of his career now.

I have been burned by this shit many times where I cough up for good Blazers seats only for stars to be scratched for rest.

One thing I love about European soccer is how winning the regular season is the biggest prize. Nobody remembers or gives a shit about teams in American sports that crush the regular season if they don't take down the crown. Baseball is especially egregious with this imo - a 162 game season is reduced to short series? Joke.

Also hate any midseason tournament idea that they come up with. Fix the regular season and playoffs first, and then entertain other ideas.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Interesting splits for the Lakers:

Against teams at or above .500: 11-7
    Against teams below .500: 22-0

So the Lakers absolutely never lose to bad teams, but they aren't all that impressive against good teams. That might be a problem for the playoffs, though this is a small sample size. 11-7 isn't terrible, and your record against good teams will never be super dominant, but this split is interesting.

During the years when the Raptors were choking in the playoffs, they had similar numbers, rarely losing to bad teams.

Load Metric
    so the sixers need to be broken up, huh

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    They've looked pretty bad

Load Metric
    Start watching the Grizzlies if you don't already.

Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr. tearing up Houston last night was a joy.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    Philly is a mess and has really fucked up everything behind 'the process'.

They should thank their lucky stars that Joel Embiid seems to have magically faded all of the health concerns that plagued him early on, as they've fucked up just about every other situation.

Recently:

a) Losing two key players (esp. on defense) for half a year of Jimmy Butler, who decided to pack up and move to Miami.
    b) Panic-signing Al Horford to fill in the talent gap, who is a horrible fit.
    c) Maxing out Tobias Harris, who is good but definitely not a franchise cornerstone. Also, what they gave up in acquiring Tobias Harris, including an unprotected first and Landry Chamet.
    d) Giving up on Markelle Fultz; in their defense, it seemed hopeless at the time but looks awful now that Fultz is at minimum a solid rotation player who still shows flashes of brilliance. Who knows what could still happen with him now that he's (seemingly) made significant progress with whatever the fuck his situation was.

Also the only east contender with a shaky coach. Don't be surprised to see Philly make a big move at the deadline that seems desperate.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

Don't be surprised to see Philly make a big move at the deadline that seems desperate.
    Not sure what move can be made though, outside of maybe grabbing bench pieces. This is shaping up to be a quiet trade deadline IMO. Too many teams alive in the west, and shitty east teams don't have much to sell. Iggy was supposed to be the top prize on the market, I wonder now if he'll actually just play for Memphis and make a playoff run there.

Also Harris and Horford contracts are borderline untradable unless swapping for another bad deal. Feels like the only big splash they could do involves trading Joel or Simmons.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

Don't be surprised to see Philly make a big move at the deadline that seems desperate.
    Not sure what move can be made though, outside of maybe grabbing bench pieces. This is shaping up to be a quiet trade deadline IMO. Too many teams alive in the west, and shitty east teams don't have much to sell. Iggy was supposed to be the top prize on the market, I wonder now if he'll actually just play for Memphis and make a playoff run there.

Also Harris and Horford contracts are borderline untradable unless swapping for another bad deal. Feels like the only big splash they could do involves trading Joel or Simmons.
    Was thinking that there's teams that see Horford being misused and could nab him in a favorable deal of sorts. But you're probably right about the $.

Philly is one of the good teams I no longer care to watch, just inconsistent and weird. Embiid is so inconsistent.

Load Metric
    simmons or embiid need to be moved. probably simmons

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    aight at the quarter pole so see where my bill simmons inspired bets are at:

LOOKIN' GOOD BILLY RAY
    Golden State U 47.5 +100...4-18...on pace for 15 wins...I mean whatever I've been fucked by injuries before so nice to have one go my way...be nice to take this one to the window by February...
    New York Knicks U 27.5 -122...4-17...on pace for 15 wins...was good to see the drama bomb a few weeks ago with their GM having a press conference after a game basically throwing their coach under a bus...same ol' sorry ass fucking knicks...
    Miami to win the Southeast -118...6 games up in the division after 19 games...biggest regret was not firing on these guys to go over 43.4/44.5...I love spo and just had a fucking huge brain fart that jimmy butler would be able to be "the guy" on a 45 win team...

FEELIN' OK LOUIS
    Philly O 54.5 -110...15-6...on pace for 59 wins...started to get a little nervous when they lost 5 of 7 at the tail end of their west coast trip, but they've since reeled off 8 of 9 and are still undefeated at home...they stay healthy should be fine...
    Houston O 53.5 -139...13-6...on pace for 56 wins...this was the bet that I loved the most...barring injury russ/harden will both play 75+ games and russ will treat a random ass game in the middle of February in charlotte as game 7 of the finals...these guys were built to romp through the regular season...
    Washington U 27.5 -150...6-12...on pace for 27 wins...hoping the dog days of February and march will really start to put the hammer down on this one...

WHAT THE FUCK?
    Charlotte U 23.5 -110...8-14...on pace for 30 wins...I still look at this roster and wonder how the hell im so far behind on this bet...they're fucking paying like $16-18M to bismack biyambo to be their fucking BACKUP CENTER!!!

BEYOND WHAT THE FUCK
    LA Lakers U 54.5 -115...17-3...on pace for 70 wins...suffice it to say I didn't see this coming at all...LeBron has played all 20 games, brow has played 19...both are averaging 35 minutes a game...I thought they might play somewhere in the mid/high 60s...I guess they don't see any need to load manage either guy...figured by this point passive aggressive LeBron would be in full force being pissed off at their shitty supporting cast, but when you win 17 of 20 that really doesn't come to light...im just glad this was only a half unit bet...
    ok we're at the halfway pole...let's see how these bets have aged...

CASHED THE TICKET
    Golden State U 47.5 +100...9-33...I think I can fade the warriors going 39-1 in their last 40 to lose this one...

GETTING CLOSER TO THE WINDOW
    Miami to win the Southeast -118...they're now up 9 games after 40 games played...still regret not taking their over...
    New York Knicks U 27.5 -122...11-31...on pace for 21 wins...this was looking a lot better at the quarter pole...somehow the knicks are looking frisky...never thought i'd say that this year...they had to go and fire fizdale instead of slogging to 20 wins this year...

THE BALL SWEAT IS REAL
    Philly O 54.5 -110...26-16...on pace for 51 wins...man this one went to shit in a hurry...embiid getting hurt obviously doesn't help...18-9 against the east wasn't what I was expecting when I made this bet...granted the east has been more frisky than I imagined, but still...in the regular season the friskiness of the east shouldn't be an issue for this team...19-2 at home, 7-14 on the road as well...currently a 6 seed, but only 3 games out of the 2 seed which given their home road splits they're really gonna need to scrap for...not feeling good about this one...
    Houston O 53.5 -139...26-14...on pace for 53 wins...losing 3 of their last 4 @OKC, @MEM, vPOR shouldn't really happen if they're looking to get outta the west...OKC is solid, MEM is gonna have their games, but are young...these are games HOU shouldn't lose, even on the road...I think they get there just due to the sheer will of harden/westbrook...currently a 5 seed, 2 games outta the 2...think they see they're within striking distance of the 2 seed and get to 54+...
    Washington U 27.5 -150...13-27...on pace for 27 wins...right where we were at the quarter pole...come on dog days of February and March!!!

SO YOU'RE TELLING ME THERE'S A CHANCE
    Charlotte U 23.5 -110...15-29...on pace for 28 wins...made a little equity on this one from the quarter pole...don't think it's gonna be enough though...think they're feisty enough to be around that 30 win mark...6 losses in a row and losing 12 of their last 14 has helped...gonna need another swoon like that in the dog days to have a shot at this one...

FUCK THE LARRY O'BRIEN, WE WANT TO BE REGULAR SEASON CHAMPS!
    LA Lakers U 54.5 -115...33-8...on pace for 66 wins...like san said, for some reason they're looking to win the regular season and playing LeBron 35 minutes a game...don't get it...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Interesting splits for the Lakers:

Against teams at or above .500: 11-7
    Against teams below .500: 22-0

So the Lakers absolutely never lose to bad teams, but they aren't all that impressive against good teams. That might be a problem for the playoffs, though this is a small sample size. 11-7 isn't terrible, and your record against good teams will never be super dominant, but this split is interesting.

During the years when the Raptors were choking in the playoffs, they had similar numbers, rarely losing to bad teams.
    lulz

Right after this post, they go lose to Orlando, who was (barely) under .500.

Thread Information