Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WSOP musings

Load Metric
    GG 59k is goot. Not lying, was hoping to wake up today to see you still alive.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post
    what % of entrants are foreigners? currently only 2 yanks in the top 10
    Name:  wsopstats.png
Views: 605
Size:  150.3 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Well, I'm not as frustrated as you think I would be.

In fact, I'm not even frustrated.

Other than for 5 hours on Day 2, I never ran hot. Seriously.

I just didn't run into beats, coolers, or lost races until the AK beat my QQ to cripple me in late Day 5. But races weren't even a big thing, either. I won a critical race with QQ > AK on Day 4, but that was it. I had exactly two races all-in (either side), and went 1-1 in them.

I only took one significant bad beat -- flopping a straight on Day 2, then losing to a boat on the turn. I did give one bad beat JJ > QQ, but it wasn't for my tournament life (or close to it). That was on Day 2, as well.

I did not run into any coolers the entire event. I did put down one cooler, to double on Day 5 with KK > QQ.

But that's it. I flopped sets, but was never fortunately enough to get significant action. In fact, my flopped sets got virtually no action aside from a set of 9s on Day 1, which only got medium action (the guy folded the river).

I was just able to stretch what I did get for a long time, and avoided putting in chips bad.

This was incredibly similar to my 88th place (out of 7319) finish in 2010.

In both years:

- I spent Days 3-6 rarely much better than average stack, and sometimes below average

- I never went on a hot run starting from mid-Day 2

- I did not put down many bad beats, nor did I take many

- I did not win many big pots due to coolers

- I somehow avoided really bad things happening for a long time -- meaning no major coolers, beats, or lost races

- I drifted deep into the event mainly through discipline and not spewing or getting chips in bad

- My undoing was getting crippled with QQ < AK while semi-short-stacked against another stack which was slightly shorter

- My feeling upon busting was, "I stretched this as far as I could have... I'm not even that disappointed. But shit, I was getting close..."

There were a few differences between the two years, as well. I came into Day 3 well above average in chips in 2019, whereas I was already below average by then in 2010. I spent most of the time in the later days of 2019's event around average stacked, whereas I was perpetually short in 2010 from Day 3 forward. I was better in 2019 at not spewing needless chips, such as being more aware when not to c-bet, and when not to pump up a pot.

Ultimately, I did a little better in 2010 (out lasted 98.80% of the field) than 2019 (98.51% of the field), and 2010 was also more lucrative (about $20.5k more prize money) due to 10% of the field cashing then instead of 15% in 2019.

At the WSOP in 2019:

- Played 11 bracelet events

- Cashed 4

- Three of the four were deep runs (top 2.68% of the field or better)

- All events were for one bullet, except for PLO8, which I fired twice. But that one I finished 30th, so it was worth it.

- Despite relative success in NL Holdem and Omaha again this year, I continued to suck at Limit Holdem, bricking my 10th consecutive LHE event dating back to 2016. However, I did only play two limit holdem events this year, missing the third one due to the Main Event deep run.

- I have cashed 8 of the 20 bracelet events I've played since 2018, with 4 of those 8 being deep runs (top 2.68% of the field or better), and one of those other four also being fairly deep (about top 5%).

One of these days I'll finally get lucky at the very end.

Was fun, but I'm glad to be done with tournaments for awhile.

I'll return to the WSOP in 2020.

Comments

sonatine: honestly impressive.

Jayjami: Sounds like you played the best you can. That’s all you can really ask for.

Salty_Aus: Well done!

sah_24: gave yourself some shots at spinning another seat cover :)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Oh, and gare, regarding the store-bought water, yes I brought my own.

But it wasn't in the trunk of my hot car. It was from the refrigerator in the Rio, and it sits with other cold waters in a plastic bag in my backpack and stays cold for a long time, and then I swap them out during dinner or other long breaks.

It's not about avoiding tipping the drink girl a dollar, but rather the fact that the drink people don't show up very often at the WSOP, and I like having water when I feel like having it, and not waiting on anyone else.

In general I hate waiting for people to do shit for me, which is why I always park my own car, carry my own luggage, pick up my own takeout food, etc.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Oh and I want to mention that the WSOP made a boneheaded mistake in the pay structure.

They had just ONE pay jump between 225th and 100th place.

That's right. One. The field cuts down by more than half, and there's just a single pay jump.

That pay jump was $8400, occurring at 162nd.

Guess what happened when we got to 163 players?

Yep... stalling and super-nit play like I had never seen before for a pay jump. It took 35 MINUTES to go from 163 players to 162. Brutal.

I was the only shorter stack with the balls to get it in at the 163 player mark. I had AKo and someone raised UTG. I could have been an uber-nit and folded the AK, but I was playing to make it deep, not be obsessed with another $8400.

Though I'll admit, as I went all-in, I thought how shitty it would be if I'm called by 88 or something and lose, and then go out after being stuck at 163 for like 20+ minutes, and being the only guy willing to do this.

Well, the dude folded, so no risk. Then I was dealt trash the rest of the time until the pay jump bubble finally burst, and of course people started playing normally again.

So stupid.

All they needed to do was adjust the pay jumps so they were more frequent and less dramatic, especially during a point in the event when there are fewer players and people stalling can slow down the pace of play (and busts) to a crawl.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Oh, and I didn't get to hear it, but reportedly Norman Chad gave a shout out to me and PFA on the broadcast tonight.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Congrats....nice run

Platinum
    Load Metric
    how was the celebratory trip to the rhino afterwards?

Load Metric
    You gotta try to stick around long enough to hit the rush. Sometime it just doesn't come to fruition, which is what happened to you.

Well played.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    TAKE IT DOWN

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Oh, and I didn't get to hear it, but reportedly Norman Chad gave a shout out to me and PFA on the broadcast tonight.

Lon: im sure theres still some online wizards out there

norman: one of them is todd witteles who runs pokerfraudalert and had some chemical imbalance illness last year

Jamie: so he didn't know what was wrong with him??

norman fails miserably not saying "he thinks it might have started with hot dog on a stick?"

obviously doesn't lurk enough to know that he's shilling for an alt-right cesspool

Bronze
    Load Metric
    They talked about you for a few minutes. It was complimentary and they talked about how you call out the issues in the poker world. Also mentioned the stuff you went through last year.

Of course the seat twirling incident was discussed a bit as well.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Nice job Druff. You went out in good company.
    Slight CardPlayer slight however along with Matt Glantza

A total of 248 players were eliminated during day 5,

including 2019 bracelet winner Sejin Park (119th – $59,295),
    Andrew Brokos (125th – $59,295),
    Todd Witteles (128th – $59,295), NO BRACELET MENTION
    Dmitry Yurasov (141st – $59,295),
    Scott Bohlman (146th – $59,295),
    three-time bracelet winner Adam Friedman (150th – $59,295),
    Chance Kornuth (184th – $50,855),
    Todd Brunson (191st – $50,855),
    four-time bracelet winner Mike ‘The Mouth’ Matusow (199th – $50,855),
    Jon Turner (203rd – $50,855),
    Matt Glantza (205th – $50,855),
    Joseph Cheong (209th – $50,855),
    Anthony Spinella (237th – $43,935),
    Galen Hall (246th – $43,935),
    and two-time bracelet winner Eric Froehlich (331st – $38,240).

Then there's this
    18th Atlee Jones SASKATOON, SK, CA 7,800,000
    33rd John Hashem Regina, SK, CA 5,800,000
    my home town root for

and my third root for
    102nd Fan Fan CN 1,120,000
    Last edited by limitles; 07-11-2019 at 12:08 PM.

Load Metric
    Kinda bummed no more good sweats left.

Antonio and Hachems kid just busted.

Jake Schindler and Alex Foxen are the only other names that I recognize.

Load Metric
    Is today’s play not on ESPN at all?
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post
    Is today’s play not on ESPN at all?
    Nope. PokerGO only today.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    Kinda bummed no more good sweats left.

Antonio and Hachems kid just busted.

Jake Schindler and Alex Foxen are the only other names that I recognize.
    Christopher Wynkoop won his seat at the Charity club that I dealt at for 3 years in Indiana. He won his seat for $150 in a “steps” tournament. 10-$150 SNG winners played for a 12k package.

I dealt to him and recognize him but don’t have any personal stories with the guy. Would be cool to see him final table though as a lot of close personal friends are railing hard for him.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Hossein Ensan, who leads the Main with 17 left, was the one who both doubled me up on early Day 5 and busted me on late Day 5.

He was to my direct left. He's not a young guy, and appeared older than me.

He was not playing crazy or unreasonably, though he did see a lot of flops. However, for example, despite my having WAY fewer chips than he did, he laid down his BB to an open raise from my SB. So he wasn't just playing tons of trash and trying to hit.

Both major hands I had with him were super standard. I doubled all-in pre KK > QQ with a semi-short stack.

I busted all-in pre very short T8 < AA.

Here's a report on the double-up hand.

https://www.pokernews.com/tours/wsop...ips.296716.htm

We didn't talk much, but he seemed like a fairly nice guy.

He has 111m right now. Timothy Su (first time player, some Silicon Valley programmer) is a close second at 102m, and everyone else has 49m or less.

Load Metric
    Anyone there catch sight of Teste from Philly?

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    11 left, and Hossain Ensan still the leader, with 102m. Interestingly, he's actually fallen from his 111m hours ago but is still chip leader.

I looked him up and dude has had some pretty nice wins in the past 5 years, so he's better than I thought.

Not that I thought he was bad when I played with him. But I thought of him more like "older guy who knows what he's doing" rather than a $10k tournament crusher, but apparently he is doing something that works.

I'll say that he took my double off him very well (which ate about 20% of his stack, so it wasn't trivial), and he was very pleasant to play with. I won't be unhappy to see him win, if that's how it ends up.

Thread Information