Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 401k question (pfa bankers)

Load Metric

401k question (pfa bankers)

I know there is a few of you hidden among-st us here in this clandestine community...

So I got a 401k recently with a job, Wells Fargo and decided since im 40 already I dont want the Vanguard2045 which would make me ~66 when I retire, since it is seemingly very conservative and continues to be even more so as you get older. Wanting to be more aggressive since im already 40 I decided to go with the 25% Stock Options/75% Growth Fund, thinking long run while risky this is the best way to make up for lost time. Also selected the DRIP, is this the best decision and for someone, very healthy physically, plans to live a while, but hasnt had any retirement plans at this point. Appreciate any advice/insight.

Thank you fellows...

Load Metric
    What kind of snake is this?
    Name:  
Views: 
Size:

Comments

garrett: lol... #WolrdClass troll

Diamond
    Load Metric
    You might not want to pursue drip investing if you decide to try to off yourself again.

#advice
    #richdadsuicidedad
    #OSAkiyosaki

Load Metric
    I heard of this thing called bitcoin.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DonaldTrumpsHairPiece View Post
    I heard of this thing called bitcoin.
    Ive been invested in bitcoin, since early on.. I never looked at it as an investment vehicle back then though, when it was $70-$90 a coin. Today its alot, but I just ran up a small $40 amount to over $700 on Bovada.. So ive been fortunate to use bitcoin, but ive never been one who has wanted to invest in bitcoin as a commodity. I ve used it as a medium of exchange. And so my believe is bitcoin is a medium, it is NOT a commodity as the GOVT want's to tax us on it as..

probably not the scope of this thread, but its true ive been in bit for a very long time.. Early on.

(new company doesnt do tirtiary assets/bitcoin)

Comments

jacosta24: Early on rep

Load Metric
    not a big fan of managed fund investing--the fees are always there, even in down markets

rather, an index fund of the SP500 would probably beat most funds over time while giving you diversity protection--gl

btw keep your savings a secret

Comments

MumblesBadly: :this
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post
    not a big fan of managed fund investing--the fees are always there, even in down markets

rather, an index fund of the SP500 would probably beat most funds over time while giving you diversity protection--gl

Agree with Roger, frankly you can't go wrong with pretty much any Vanguard fund or ETF due to the low cost.

Low cost is the key, for instance my 401k is split evenly between the small cap index and mid cap index, both fees are .04% annually.

The fund you're considering, VTIVX, runs at an expense ratio of .15% which is also excellent. This is a great fund as it gives you about 90% coverage in stocks (heavy domestic plus international exposure) and 10% in bonds, rebalancing every year and slightly increasing the bond exposure as you get closer to retirement.

Max out your 401k and don't try to manage it. Set it and forget it FTW. If you want to be a more proactive investor do it outside of your 401k.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Whoa! Another topic we strongly agree on! Western civilization may yet be saved!

WillieMcFML: good advice rep

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    Wanting to be more aggressive
    Last time you were aggressive you ended up in a suicide smock....

Comments

dwai: you contribute nothing. your posts are not even funny. you're not clever enough to compete with the big boys so you stay out of all civilized conversations

theSMARTESTLIBERALalive: LOL at Bart Starr dying.

tgull: Good Post. Good Post!
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Load Metric
    Tesla or wait for a major corp to have a scandal and buy the dip lol

Load Metric
    Two book recommendations:

The Simple Path to Wealth by JL Collins for the passive investor, Rule #1 by Phil Town if you're interested in investing in individual stocks.

Don't knock passive investing as it's a foolproof path to wealth if you start early enough.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post
    Two book recommendations:

The Simple Path to Wealth by JL Collins for the passive investor, Rule #1 by Phil Town if you're interested in investing in individual stocks.

Don't knock passive investing as it's a foolproof path to wealth if you start early enough.
    Also, research shows that a portfolio of high dividend-paying stocks w/DRiP tends to have a higher risk-adjusted return due to the tendency for non-dividend stocks to be overpriced more frequently than the alternative, probably due to systemic behavioral investor bias regarding the prospects of “growth” stocks.

Comments

tony bagadonuts: A lot of fancy talk but nonetheless I agree, more or less

theSMARTESTLIBERALalive: Come on Tony, mumbles is a finance school drop out, so he knows every thing.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Invest in the cash fund until the market drops at least 10%...buying at the all time high is really bad timing.

Load Metric
    odds Garret will be fully vested in said 401k before something happens that's totally not his fault

+1500

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    odds Garret will be fully vested in said 401k before something happens that's totally not his fault

+1500
    ahaaaaa @ vested gives new meaning.

Came into seals lobby enraged as usual yesterday, gloating how he is world class poker player and Challenged someone to best of 7 but he didn't have any cash himself so needed a stake, there were no takers after about 2 hours of begging. He really really misses cmoney

Comments

Tellafriend: The more you know

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post
    Invest in the cash fund until the market drops at least 10%...buying at the all time high is really bad timing.
    Sorry but this is terrible advice for a 401k contribution. Set your contribution at 10% of your income immediately and then fuck off for twenty years.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post

Agree with Roger, frankly you can't go wrong with pretty much any Vanguard fund or ETF due to the low cost.

Low cost is the key, for instance my 401k is split evenly between the small cap index and mid cap index, both fees are .04% annually.

The fund you're considering, VTIVX, runs at an expense ratio of .15% which is also excellent. This is a great fund as it gives you about 90% coverage in stocks (heavy domestic plus international exposure) and 10% in bonds, rebalancing every year and slightly increasing the bond exposure as you get closer to retirement.

Max out your 401k and don't try to manage it. Set it and forget it FTW. If you want to be a more proactive investor do it outside of your 401k.
    This

Load Metric
    Sorry but this is terrible advice for a 401k contribution. Set your contribution at 10% of your income immediately and then fuck off for twenty years.
    Generally speaking I do agree with this but if it’s obvious the market is going to crumble I don’t see a big issue with pulling out of stocks. I’ve done this multiple times over the years and been completely wrong but so long as you get it back in and working it’s not the worst thing in the world.

Best thing I ever did was sideline everything in mid 2007..... that one decision has reaped me a lot of benefit.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANKRIZZO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post

+1500

Came into seals lobby enraged as usual yesterday, gloating how he is world class poker player and Challenged someone to best of 7 but he didn't have any cash himself so needed a stake, there were no takers after about 2 hours of begging. He really really misses cmoney
    seals with clubs is still a thing? do they get any volume?
    Hi Lew!!!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANKRIZZO View Post

seals with clubs is still a thing? do they get any volume?

They get 5 tables prime time 9pm and their mtts is very weak about 12 people playing mtts. The site has every game and has sleek software I have to admit. Very limited action.

Silver
    Load Metric

401(k) investing is by definition systematic dollar cost averaging; which is almost impossible to beat long term.

Thread Information