Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you agree with the political opposition on anything?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Do you agree with the political opposition on anything?

Right now, the US (and much of the western world) is more politically polarized than ever.

It has gotten to the point where many people feel pressured to identify with one side or the other, and are shamed for ever agreeing with anything the other side has to say.

This is happening on PFA to some degree, as well.

Let's see how many of you partisan assholes are willing to concede that the other side is right on some things.

Since I am one of those partisan assholes, I will start.

I make no secret that I'm a conservative Republican, and always have been. However, there are some areas where I agree or mostly agree with the left or center left. These include:

- I support gay marriage.

- I support most environmental regulations. Without these, corporations will run rampant and destroy both nature and our planet itself.

- Somewhat related to the above, I support the National Park system, and feel the government can do a better job preserving and managing it than private companies.

- I support the dismantling of the privatized prison structure, and making it all 100% managed by the government.

- I support worker's rights, and the aggressive punishment of companies violating them. The free market cannot take care of this on its own.

- I feel that health care needs major reform, and that health care really is a right. I also feel that the costs of health care should be subsidized or provided for free for those who cannot afford it. (However, I do NOT support socialized medicine, as that is a very flawed solution to the issue, especially in this country.)

- I support the decriminalization of drug use (but not the decriminalization of drug sales.)

There's probably others, but that's what I came up with off the top of my head.

Now you go.

Post which positions held or mostly held by the opposition party you agree with.

If you say "none", you are probably a mindless sheep who holds the exact views your party tells you to have.

Comments

big dick: not as big of an asshole as i thought -)

JimmyG_415: How would a social justice warrior's post be any different?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    There is so much to pick apart but this sentence has me scratchin

"- I feel that health care needs major reform, and that health care really is a right. I also feel that the costs of health care should be subsidized or provided for free for those who cannot afford it. (However, I do NOT support socialized medicine, as that is a very flawed solution to the issue, especially in this country.)"

What do you not understand about universal health care? You say you don't support socialized medicine. What is different from that to "subsidies which are provided for free."
    And no one really gets a free ride. Just like veterans returning from one of your wars who don't receive
    proper attention from a for profit endeavour. they have paid their dues.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Les, I don't want to get into a debate about any of the topics I posted above. That's not the point of this thread.

Many US right wingers would disagree with me on all of the points I posted.

This is a thread for people to be honest about what they agree with regarding the other side.

For example, perhaps a Democrat here will post, "I agree with the death penalty" or "I don't think the top marginal tax rate should be above 37%".

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I consider myself a centrist, but I typically vote a Republican heavy ticket.

Left of center beliefs? Sure

Opposition to the death penalty
    Oppose private prisons
    Pro choice with sensible restrictions (open to interpretation obv)
    Long time marijuana legalization advocate, lukewarm support of decriminalization of most drugs but extremely concerned about the devastating affects of drug and alcohol addiction.
    Support gay marriage
    Criminal justice reform
    Infrastructure investment
    Regulated capitalism (also open to interpretation)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Right now, the US (and much of the western world) is more politically polarized than ever.

It has gotten to the point where many people feel pressured to identify with one side or the other, and are shamed for ever agreeing with anything the other side has to say.

This is happening on PFA to some degree, as well.

Let's see how many of you partisan assholes are willing to concede that the other side is right on some things.

Since I am one of those partisan assholes, I will start.

I make no secret that I'm a conservative Republican, and always have been. However, there are some areas where I agree or mostly agree with the left or center left. These include:

- I support gay marriage.

- I support most environmental regulations. Without these, corporations will run rampant and destroy both nature and our planet itself.

- Somewhat related to the above, I support the National Park system, and feel the government can do a better job preserving and managing it than private companies.

- I support the dismantling of the privatized prison structure, and making it all 100% managed by the government.

- I support worker's rights, and the aggressive punishment of companies violating them. The free market cannot take care of this on its own.

- I feel that health care needs major reform, and that health care really is a right. I also feel that the costs of health care should be subsidized or provided for free for those who cannot afford it. (However, I do NOT support socialized medicine, as that is a very flawed solution to the issue, especially in this country.)

- I support the decriminalization of drug use (but not the decriminalization of drug sales.)

There's probably others, but that's what I came up with off the top of my head.

Now you go.

Post which positions held or mostly held by the opposition party you agree with.

If you say "none", you are probably a mindless sheep who holds the exact views your party tells you to have.

What you failed to do was point out right wing foundations that are typically unpopular with the left. It's a package, so you can't say I'm in for subsidized medicine but am against a fair minimum wage for instance.
    There is literally nothing coming from the right(IMO) that exceeds what the left is already promoting

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I hate the death penalty

I am pro labor union for low wage unskilled workers

Gay marriage is fine

Most drug offenses should be a simple fine

I think the military is bloated and wastes a ton of money

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence,[note 1] promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Republican Party is associated with me, me vs us, us

Comments

sah_24: nap time

Load Metric
    Conservative...

However I too dislike the death penalty. That is the confusion for me to a degree, good religious conservatives who are God fearing (so they say) who believe in redemption and forgiveness and view murder as a sin, lobby for the death penalty. It is a sticking point for me.

Load Metric
    I'm a life long democrat, and the only thing I agree with the right about is that Donald Trump is the greatest president in my lifetime and is doing a fine job.

Load Metric
    The very fact that a thread was created talking about “the political opposition” is the primary problem of the state of politics in this country.

We the people over time have created the single most powerful entity in the history of the world. At the center of it instead of many different small representative groups that cater to the constituency is the biggest bioppoly in the world. The reason why it’s a bioppoly is to easily funnel money in and out of Washington. You either pay one side or the other to get your votes.

I’m by closest definition a libertarian. I don’t call my self a republican and “agree with the political opposition” on a few things just to fit in with the state of politics.
    Last edited by Daly; 06-17-2019 at 07:42 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    addendum, most of what Daly said is bang on

yeah right, how do you bring 50 different countries together.
    Cause this is what state's rights is doing for you
    You are undivided in more ways than one

Not to mention your media has been bought and paid for long ago

Comments

sah_24: nap time
    Last edited by limitles; 06-17-2019 at 07:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    WEED !

(oh and ya the military is out of control and completely redic waste of money ...)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    So other than the dupe "spit this" (who probably wasn't even serious), we have zero left-leaning people posting so far, regarding where they agree with the right?

Interesting.

Load Metric
    I supports the death penalty
    I hate abortion
    I'm for gay marriage even though I call people fags and homos all the time
    Against private prisons

Load Metric
    interesting
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 06-17-2019 at 10:43 PM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Typically I have conservative views when it comes to Financial Matters (taxes, income etc.). However, on social views I tend to be more liberal than even some on left. I don't take this as agreeing with the opposite party. I see this as being intellectually consistent for favoring Minimal Government Involvement in our lives. We need govt. to protect us from foreign actors and for the police and Court systems. We do not need the government controlling our lives. If the Govt. provides everything like wages, health care, food and housing, then it can control you and every aspect your life.

On Financial Issues - I like low taxes. I pay my fair share, but I shouldn't have to pay 70% or even 50% of my income. I earned it. Estate taxes prevent people who saved money from giving it to their children. Wealth taxes (like those pushed by Elizabeth Warren) actually are stealing the money that is left AFTER WE ALREADY PAID TAXES. That means it is a Double tax There shouldn't be a Minimum wage. Let market forces determine the wages. If someone pays a shitty wage then don't take the fucking job.

On Social Issues - I again like minimum govt. involvement. I don't care if someone smokes weed. Someone doing bong hits while watching Scooby Doo on their couch is not a danger to society. In fact they spur the economy by ordering Pizzas. There is no difference in my mind between Weed and Alcohol, It's none of my business if two gays or lesbians want to get married or adopt etc. And, as much I as I don't ike the idea of abortion, who the fuck am I to tell a woman what to do with her body? And making abortion illegal, makes people go to more dangerous places to get it done,

Some people would say that I am a libertarian. But, I don't like labels. I look at each issue on its own. Otherwise, I'd be another lemming like a lot of the folks on both the right and left who are intellectually dishonest.
    Last edited by Cerveza Fria; 06-18-2019 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Fucking Autocorrect

Load Metric
    It’s hard to respond because I basically never like a single piece of Republican legislation. In spirit, l often agree with them.

Trump has kind of skewed this question. He’s doing a lot of protectionist stuff economically that is more left than traditionally right. Then he won’t follow through domestically though, so I find myself in half-agreement with him a lot.

I’m not a flag waver but I love America. Like I would have gave Pakistan five minutes to hand over Bin Laden, or started leveling Islamabad .I don’t mind drones. I have no issue with dealing with terrorists nations severely even with civilian casualties. Let it be a lesson to the next nation if they love their children, don’t let terrorists set up shop. How to go about any of that stuff I often disagree with the right on though. I’m not interested in spreading democracy or nation building. Just the hammer when they fuck with us. That been traditionally in the spirit of the right, but Obama probably was way tougher than Trump on drones and such.

I don’t care about transgendered rights beyond the small % actually born with an innersex condition. The rest, imo, are mentally ill, and I care about the mentally ill, but let’s get the conversation right. I’m not going to indulge illness that isn’t seeking a cure. It’s like everyone agreeing the government has inserted a metal plate into your head and sending you messages through your microwave. We don’t seek to accommodate schizophrenics. We seek to treat them. I think transgendered ideas are some dysmorphia or mental illness. They should be helped by the mental health system, not agree that it’s natural and healthy.

I would generally be for quite low business taxes if we could close the loopholes.

I think we’ve lost our minds with certain entitlements. We need to close the SSDI money pit. I know a lot of people who collect like $1600 month SSDI permanently and have businesses that they openly advertise on Facebook to everyone in town. Dudes who permanently get checks forever for back problems laying concrete and driving bmws. People report them, nothing happens, at all. I know a half dozen people who have businesses and collect this and they’re all doing pretty well to very well. It irritates me that people work full time shit jobs for what these people get this each month. It really pisses me off that guys work hard until 65 and it might get raised and many of these people are grifting until the grave from their 30s and 40s. .

Almost all entitlements need to be more closely monitored and people need to be incentivized to work and get off then. An area like I live, where wages are low, you just create a situation where it’s dumb to work for many. I also have no issue with drug testing anyone on something like Medicaid or SDDi or anyone single who happens to be on food stamps. I’m not into starving children because their parents are idiots. Where I diverge from the right is I’d only sign off on drug testing for Medicaid if we also test for obesity related issues. I’m not drug testing for judgement purposes. I’m looking to control costs. In both circumstances, I’d give windows for people to make positive changes before cutting them off whether their addiction is food or drugs. I view abuse of either as similar barring some legit metabolic disorder or medical condition which prohibits activity.

There are so very many spots where the left irritates me in that they encourage these entitlements, but then the GOP attempted fixes are poor in every almost instance because the way to monitor these things effectively requires government. The conservative solutions are poor. They always look to keep wages low or privatize shit, and hate the government, when what is required is a highly paid government officials making $120k a year who will dig into the financial minutiae and work tirelessly to stop the entitlement abuses. I don’t think people making $37k are motivated employees. I don’t want a sprawling government agency. I want qualified people with a large case file. Pay a few educated and motivated guys with a CPA to dig into the abuse and pay them well. I would trust one Grenada Roger to dig into SSDI abuse from a financial perspective over 15 low level employees.

These are the types of things I think are more in the spirit of the right, traditionally.

Comments

tony bagadonuts: Excellent as usual

Gordman: Very well said

Load Metric
    So other than the dupe "spit this" (who probably wasn't even serious), we have zero left-leaning people posting so far, regarding where they agree with the right?

Interesting.
    I think that this is so because most of the left-leaning people on this site were sleeping in the time frame between when you started this post and now. And are probably now heading to work at oligarchically depressed wages in order to pay for excessive medical bills to avert filing for bankruptcy...

In all seriousness, I don’t consider my positions on issues based on “being on one side”. And probably agree with conservatives on several issues. But IMO the most pressing issues facing our country at this time don’t call sustaining the policies that most on the right — including center-right Democrats like Joe Biden — support. So, I just don’t put much mental effort at this time into identifying which issues I likely agree with conservatives on. But if the OP would list the issues he retains a conservative stance on, I would be glad to review this list to identify where I agree or partially so.

Comments

tony bagadonuts: Lazy and weak

limitles: lol first paragraph

dwai: In all seriousness, I don’t consider my positions on issues based on “being on one side”. <--- LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL WHITE GUILT FEMINIST LIBERAL FAGGOT
    Last edited by MumblesBadly; 06-18-2019 at 05:51 AM.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Lifelong liberal

I agree with conservatism about fiscal responsibility. Unfortunately, neither party practices it at all. I think the Post Office should be abolished. This is more libertarian, but again, no support in either party. I am mostly libertarian with regard to person freedom (drug use, sex, abortion). Again, more libtertarian ideas, supported by some Republicans.

Load Metric
    I oppose fighting wars on behalf of Israel.

So, I guess I disagree with both political parties.

Thread Information