Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attention (eastern) Canucks: Sights to see in NB, PEI, NS?

Load Metric
    Listen up Druff & I'm only gonna say this once:

When you do the Cabot trail & are wowed by the scenery & you end up around Sydney & have a choice to take Hi-way 4 or are looking for another scenic coastal drive when you notice a nice looking road that goes along the southern shore called the "Fleur-de-Lis Trail"(hi-way 327 through Marion Bridge to the Fourchu Road & then hi-way 247), take the main road along Bras d'Or lake. It is a terrible fucking road with absolutely no fucking scenery even though it looks to hug the coastline for a majority of it.

Don't ask how I know this but, let's just say, I vowed to never speak of it again.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Oh and I am looking a bit more and I am reading that your chances of seeing whales are actually better near Eastport, Maine where the Old Sow Whirpool is anyway.

So maybe I would be best avoiding Cape Cod and the crowds there, and just doing the whale watching in Maine. Anyone know about this?

I will be up in Maine late in the summer....weird to run into Druff randomly in Kennebunkport vs not even seeing him at the Rio during a LHE event a few years back when actively trying to find him.
    Next time just text me at 775-372-8355 and I'll tell you where I am!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Listen up Druff & I'm only gonna say this once:

When you do the Cabot trail & are wowed by the scenery & you end up around Sydney & have a choice to take Hi-way 4 or are looking for another scenic coastal drive when you notice a nice looking road that goes along the southern shore called the "Fleur-de-Lis Trail"(hi-way 327 through Marion Bridge to the Fourchu Road & then hi-way 247), take the main road along Bras d'Or lake. It is a terrible fucking road with absolutely no fucking scenery even though it looks to hug the coastline for a majority of it.

Don't ask how I know this but, let's just say, I vowed to never speak of it again.
    Thanks. Will try to remember this.

Reminds me of "Scenic Loop" in Mammoth Lakes, CA. There's nothing scenic about it, and in fact taking US-395 north looks nicer.

Load Metric

Maine

In Eastport, (right by the Canadian border in southeastern Maine), is it worth taking a boat tour out to see the Old Sow Whirlpool?

In Bar Harbor, I plan to go to Acadia National Park and Cadillac Mountain. Any suggestions? Anyone been to the Asticou Azalea Garden? I'm told it's really nice and not crowded.

What about a lobster bake in Bar Harbor? Worth doing, or overrated tourist trap stuff?

Near Kennebunkport, has anyone gone to the Rachel Carson Wildlife Refuge? Did you see much wildlife?

Massachusetts

I'm considering taking a whale watching tour off Cape Cod, because these are famous and supposedly best over there.

Is it really that good, or is this just hype? Any company you recommend?
    Spent a week or so with the family in Bar Harbor 3 years ago. Beautiful fuckin place.

I've been whale watching in Bar Harbor and in P-Town, separated by a bunch of years, so conditions may change obv, but saw plenty of whales on both trips. If I had to give advice, I'd say just stay away from the mid-day trips and aim for closer to dusk, as "they say" that its a lot easier for the whales to feed closer to dawn and dusk (or just away from high noon), and that's when they are hanging out at the surface more. Our trip was 4:30, the Sunset Cruise from Bar Harbor Whale Watch Co.

One other really cool thing boat thing we did in Bar Harbor was take a short 1/2 day fishing trip. As far as fishing goes, it was exquisitely unsuccessful, as the entire boat caught like 3 fish total, including the 6 inch guy my hook snagged through his side. (There was some weird current issue that day or something, definitely not the norm.) Didn't matter tho, was a really fun 4(?) hours or so. They stopped in a bunch of different spots, and we got to see all sorts of owls, eagles, seals, ducks and gulls of all sorts, AND PUFFINS!! Holy shit the puffins are cute. Here's the straight sight-seeing version of the fishing trip we took: https://acadianboattours.com/activit...abirds-cruise/ If you dig being on the ocean and have no fishing interest, I'd go that way. Plus, who doesn't love lighthouses?

I'm positive we went to the Asticou Azalea Garden, and I remember the general look and feel of the place, but for some reason, the place I remember more is the Wild Gardens of Acadia, at Sieur de Monts Spring. The Abbe Museum here is kinda cool too. The Jordan Pond trail was really fun and easy for all ages, the Bar Harbor Shore path is beautiful any time of day or night, and any walk along the water at any part of Mt Desert Island is really fun. I can;t speak to the lobster and clambakes, but I can heartily recommend the Cadillac Mountain Stout from Atlantic Brewing.

Will look through some pics later, see what else I can remember. If the only reason you want to go to PTown is for the Whale Watch, I'd say fuck it and do it in Maine.

Perhaps most importantly, never forget mosquito/tick repellent. Ben's 30%, can't beat it.

I have read that you can see a really dramatic tidal change (35 feet vertical!) at Hall's Harbour. This sounds cool, though it seems that the tide takes 6 hours to change. Is this true?
    It's true everywhere in the known world, I believe.
    Last edited by Crowe Diddly; 06-16-2019 at 04:51 PM.

Load Metric
    Lol, Jordan Pond House Crowe.

About a decade ago, we’d always rent a place for 2 or 3 days up near Acadia Nat Park every year or two. Jordan Pond House was mandatory with the wife.

You had to make reservations. It was kind of semi formal. A good part of the day centered around having popovers and jam. That was the reason you drove for hours. Popovers and jam. That was the deal. We are talking pretty much having high tea outdoors overlooking the mountains etc.

Name:  D919F3B4-E21B-4275-BC8F-FA612932E8EF.jpeg
Views: 163
Size:  1.84 MB

After popovers I’d take the kids (about Bens age) and navigate our way around the lake hopping from rock to rock along the shore etc.

If you fell in it was understood you’d be left behind. Unlike me, you guys got calls from your kids today. Lol.

As the kids got older I had to give the kids cash to go and make their mother happy. Eventually the bribe grew too large for me to afford. Nevertheless, I think the whole exercise gave them a rare moment of civility.

Jordan’s is owned by the park service but the operation was awarded to some private company and the vendor had changed and it wasn’t as dignified as it once was. I was privately glad the kids rebelled

Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park, overlooking the Gulf of Maine, Frenchman Bay, and Bar Harbor, is the first sunrise in the United States.

That detail I always thought was pretty cool. This picture is exactly as I remember it.

Name:  9D8FAA2E-89C1-4774-82D6-8C2E4ABBFD0B.jpeg
Views: 181
Size:  70.4 KB.

I am more of a pick a spot and soak it up for a day or two kind of guy. Bar Harbor is interesting if you are with someone who knows the wealth and the stories represented there. The wealthy in the 1800’s from Chicago, NY, Boston, Philly used to summer there before the advent of air conditioning. The history and the dough was interesting to me. Maybe the kids remember. You sometimes see hoi polloi like Martha Stewart downtown.

It is scenic for sure but without the stories your son will hate you for the forced march.

Provincetown is interesting as an artists town and was always known as a hang out for those who practiced alternate life styles beginning in the 60’s. Again, a great place for a bed and breakfast for a day or two. The people and the beach are fantastic. It’s a long drive down the peninsula that is the Cape Cod and not worth racing to and fro at break neck speed imo.

Whale watching is an excuse to be on the water and that is always approved. You can do that in any number of places.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 06-16-2019 at 06:07 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Let the record show I never once mentioned the Jordan Pond House. We did the Trail.

I ain't hating on popovers, mind you, but the view and the pond's the thing. We didn't go to Maine for dainty bullshit, as fun as that likely is. We went for oceans and rocks and walking around bodies of water and whatnot.

I'd honestly recommend the Jordan House in a second, tho, we just didn't do it the time we were there. My parents were born on the ocean in Ireland, and coastal Maine is as close as you get over here until you hit PEI and Newfoundland and those things, environment-wise.

--

The time I went on a PTown whale watch, I was there with an old college roommate and her sister, and we went to an outdoor martini bar first. I'd call it a gay bar, but I already said we were in PTown, so seems like that'd be overdoing it. Anyway, I had the first Manhattan I ever liked served by a monstrously huge (muscle-wise) and soft spoken local resident. First really completely gay place I was ever in and it was a bunch of fun. As friendly as can be to everyone there.

Comments

Sanlmar: Hits home
    Last edited by Crowe Diddly; 06-16-2019 at 06:27 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Let the record show I never once mentioned the Jordan Pond House. We did the Trail.
    I reviewed the transcript.

Its pretty funny to me how the forced dainty bullshit is the stuff I remember.

I credit the willingness to play the game with still being married. I see my kid with his girlfriend and there are times he just looks at me and I understand. No words are needed. He had dainty bullshit training.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: yankee pragmatism in disguise rep

Load Metric
    fuck, I could talk about that week in Maine forever.
    Name:  DSC00158.JPG
Views: 183
Size:  4.61 MB

Shout out to Bubbles, obv.
    Last edited by Crowe Diddly; 06-17-2019 at 01:32 PM.

Load Metric

Nova Scotia

I have read that you can see a really dramatic tidal change (35 feet vertical!) at Hall's Harbour. This sounds cool, though it seems that the tide takes 6 hours to change. Is this true?
    Correct. It's not something you just sit and watch.

So obviously I won't want to sit there staring at it for 6 hours. I see that Blomidon Provincial Park is kinda nearby, and looks like an interesting place to walk around during super low tide. Also nearby Baxter's Harbour has a waterfall, I see.
    Yes, go to Blomidon Provincial Park about 30 minutes away and hike the Cape Split trail. Takes 4-5 hours but the view at the end is incredible.

https://www.novascotia.com/see-do/trails/cape-split-provincial-park-reserve/6253

Anything else to do in that area to occupy the time while the 6 hours pass? I could go down to Lunenburg but that's a lot of driving back and forth.
    Doesn't make sense to drive to Lunenburg and come back. You might want to check out the nearby university town of Wolfville which is nice. Also lots of wineries around. I know you're not much of a drinker but go to Luckett Winery and have lunch on the terrace overlooking the vineyard. The restaurant is really good and the view is incredible. There's a famous red phone booth in the middle of the vineyard and you can make a call for free anywhere in North America. As a phone enthusiast this is right up your alley.

Regarding Cape Breton, aside from the Cabot Trail, which I will definitely drive, are there any other must-sees in the area? Is Syndey worth visiting, or should I not bother detouring over there?
    Sydney the city sucks. But Louisbourg fortress is nearby and worth checking out.

PEI

Suggested activities for PEI? Went there 4 years ago and it was very nice, but only had like 6 hours and had to go back to the cruise ship. If I have 1-2 days, what are some good things to do?
    Anne of Green Gables the musical will be playing in Charlottetown when you're there. It's a whimsical romp. The city of Charlottetown itself is quite nice, especially the waterfront. Lots of red sand beaches around the island to see.

Comments

Dan Druff:

Load Metric
    Lit a citronella candle in Bar Harbor in honor of Crowe.

I saw we talked about Jordan Pond House.

I am right near the small airport and the private jets lined up this weekend was mind boggling. Downtown Bar Harbor was jamming’.

Name:  3D2ED171-7A6E-4A16-BECA-0CC66A984073.jpeg
Views: 132
Size:  2.02 MB

Comments

Crowe Diddly:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Ended up doing a lot of this stuff, in case anyone has any questions.

Trip was 2 years ago, and is still the last real trip I have taken.

Had less time in Bar Harbor than expected because the rental car had a bizarre problem where it wouldn't get in gear. The gearshift was fake. It acted like it was actually doing the shifting, but in reality it was just telling the computer to shift gear. It ended up getting screwed up to where it always thought it was one gear behind where it actually was, so it was impossible to get into drive. Reverse was park, neutral was reverse, and drive was neutral. Oh, and park was still park, I guess. What a fail.

Was incredibly difficult to get this switched out for a car big enough for the family. Took me several hours to get this resolved, since the breakdown hapened in a small town near Bar Harbor. Anyway, we ended up missing most of the day, but we did spend the early evening and night in the area until everything closed down.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Ended up doing a lot of this stuff, in case anyone has any questions.

Trip was 2 years ago, and is still the last real trip I have taken.

Had less time in Bar Harbor than expected because the rental car had a bizarre problem where it wouldn't get in gear. The gearshift was fake. It acted like it was actually doing the shifting, but in reality it was just telling the computer to shift gear. It ended up getting screwed up to where it always thought it was one gear behind where it actually was, so it was impossible to get into drive. Reverse was park, neutral was reverse, and drive was neutral. Oh, and park was still park, I guess. What a fail.

Was incredibly difficult to get this switched out for a car big enough for the family. Took me several hours to get this resolved, since the breakdown hapened in a small town near Bar Harbor. Anyway, we ended up missing most of the day, but we did spend the early evening and night in the area until everything closed down.
    Tofino fishing trip left coast

Name:  06B415CB-384A-4571-AAE5-955853114C80.gif
Views: 101
Size:  313.1 KB

Thread Information