Thread: Calling all rec players: Is playing in a WSOP tournament in Las Vegas on your bucket list?

Load Metric

Calling all rec players: Is playing in a WSOP tournament in Las Vegas on your bucket list?

'What I want is a peaceful death': Kevin Roster has only weeks to live – and that's why he moved to California
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ie/1344541001/

Kevin Roster makes it abundantly clear he doesn’t want his life to end any time soon. But with that decision taken out of his hands in his mid-30s, he wants a say in how it happens.

The semi-professional poker player from New Jersey has a rare form of cancer called sarcoma that required the April amputation of his left hindquarter and leg and the removal of a 20-pound tumor, leaving him in a wheelchair. His prognosis has dwindled from months to weeks to live as the cancer has spread to his heart and lungs.

So in the spirit of Brittany Maynard – the terminally ill newlywed who brought the conversation about medical aid in dying into America’s living rooms in 2014 when she moved to Oregon to seek authorized assistance in ending her life – Roster has shifted his home base to a state where he can legally take similar steps.

Despite his compromised condition, Roster traveled cross-country to California, which, in 2015, became the fifth state to enact a law allowing for medical help in dying. New Jersey recently joined the ranks, but its law doesn’t go into effect until Aug. 1, and Roster doubts he has that much time.

“I wanted to die the way I lived, which was independently,’’ Roster said. “I haven’t punched a clock since I was 20 years old. I didn’t want to have to be on cancer’s clock. I wanted to be on my own clock. … I always knew I wanted control in the end and that I didn’t want to be dependent. I didn’t want to have to wear diapers or be in a medicated coma, sleeping most of the day.’’

Before taking the lethal prescribed drugs, which he’s in the process of obtaining, Roster and his caretaker drove from the Sacramento area to Las Vegas so he could play in the World Series of Poker, the annual tournament now in its 50th edition.
    Name:  6CB588C5-1AD9-4214-8F42-B9F0F1B8F792.jpeg
Views: 505
Size:  124.5 KB

Comments

duped_samaritan: man, that's rough

splitthis: Sad
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    I think it's on my bucket list but I could do it every single summer and I never do, so basically I suppose I don't want it THAT much

Load Metric
    'What I want is a peaceful death'.
    Yeah, that would summarize my memory of poker too

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post
    I think it's on my bucket list but I could do it every single summer and I never do, so basically I suppose I don't want it THAT much
    Or like most people before middle age, you expect to live long enough to be able to it in the future.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Hell ya, I want a fancy bracelet like Druff

Comments

MumblesBadly: Have you checked the Vegas pawn shops for one sold by broke-ass former bracelet winner?

Load Metric
    Druff already lived the Rex dream

Now he is just trying to win another so he can have another child.

Wouldn’t want to have one be the favourite kid.

Load Metric
    back in the days i did few wsop events and i can honestly say its pure nightmare fuel.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    back in the days i did few wsop events and i can honestly say its pure nightmare fuel.
    Its almost like minimum security prison.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I think I was averaging 8/hands delt an hour, with 100 tables and hand for hand, the hour long blind levels don't mean shit. It becomes a giant luck fest very very quickly. Though, I still will be back for one event this year(next weekend, Druff do you want to do breakfast/pick me up from the airport Epistate style?)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post

absolutely perfect.

getting our 'dinner' reminded me of the beginning of that will smith zombie movie where he's trying to get his family on the helicopter.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post

absolutely perfect.

getting our 'dinner' reminded me of the beginning of that will smith zombie movie where he's trying to get his family on the helicopter.

Everyone is trying to act friendly and keep to themselves. Both are there to do their "time" and come out better than they came in.

However, most wouldn't think twice about stabbing you in the bathroom to get what's in front of you

Comments

Sanlmar: The laugh of the day.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by monsterj View Post
    I think I was averaging 8/hands delt an hour, with 100 tables and hand for hand, the hour long blind levels don't mean shit. It becomes a giant luck fest very very quickly. Though, I still will be back for one event this year(next weekend, Druff do you want to do breakfast/pick me up from the airport Epistate style?)
    You're showing up during one of the two weeks I'll be gone from the WSOP.

Whenever I bust from tomorrow's Double Stack NL (which hopefully will last longer than the hour I had at today's Millionaire Maker), I'm bouncing from Vegas until the 24th.

Otherwise I would have said yes.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Sarcoma is a tough form of cancer.

I saw it kill a relative brutally in the 90s.

It also was responsible for the end of Chad Brown.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by monsterj View Post

Whenever I bust from tomorrow's Double Stack NL (which hopefully will last longer than the hour I had at today's Millionaire Maker), I'm bouncing from Vegas until the 24th.

You should just go home now. I mean you shot off a 100bb stack with a J high flush draw. Rec player thread indeed.

Comments

duped_samaritan: DON'T YOU TALK ABOUT DRUFF LIKE THAT

sah_24: Meanwhile you welch on $500 bets lol ... scumbag
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    Definitely a fun magical experience. Recommend.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post

You should just go home now. I mean you shot off a 100bb stack with a J high flush draw. Rec player thread indeed.
    -Allergic to the struggle

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4BET View Post

He must have taken my advice. He apparently didn’t play today, lol.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    I wonder what he does with all his left shoes?

there should be some type of marketplace app for people with only one leg

match someone in your size with the opposite leg and chop a pair of yeezys

it's probably what split's business is all about
    Hi Lew!!!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Incorrect, Welch's.

It was an 85bb stack, and it was a flush and double gutter straight draw on the flop, which was a favorite over most hands, and crushed by very few.

And there was fold equity.

Just didn't work out.

I had cashed in 4 straight WSOP prelim NL events, two deep, prior to bricking that one.

Hope you enjoyed your one and done trip to Vegas.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Anyway enough with that. Back to this fucked up story.

I really feel for the guy. Mid-30s. Wow.

I couldn't bring myself to play poker under such circumstances. But if it's been his dream to do it, good for him.

Thread Information