Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Crowder versus Vox/Carlos Maza

Load Metric
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    So, is the guy a lispy queer or not?
    It’s a well-known bigoted trope that guys who have lisps are effeminate, whether they are gay or not, and the butt of typical bigoted jokes about gays from a generation ago or so. That’s why Crowder included “lispy” as a modifier to “queer”. And this trope is especially applicable if the guy’s voice pitch is higher-than-average for a male of a similar sexual maturity.

Which prompts me to ask: Is Steven Crowder brave enough to call Iron Mike “lispy” to his face? Or is he just a safe-in-a-studio bully when using that adjective insultingly?

Name:  EEE59F58-D904-4C83-8D8E-EF1B81FFA0C0.jpeg
Views: 519
Size:  111.0 KB
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Bad week for Crowder.

Let me count the ways...

First, he and his half Asian lawyer have been fighting out an odd copyright claim battle involving a KISS song parody they did called "Dr. Trump". There really shouldn't be an issue here. It's a clear parody and is protected by law, but somehow the music label keeps submitting complaints, even after Crowder was victorious in defending the first claim. So this has been an ongoing headache.

Second was this Maza thing, which is blowing up more and more, and might force YouTube to delete his channel. Ironically, Crowder overexaggerated the threat to his YouTube channel for a long time, in order to sell CRTV/Blaze subscriptions, but now he's actually legitimately in the crosshairs and could possibly get his channel deleted.

And now third....

Owen Benjamin is an anti-Semitic conspiracy theorist musician/comedian. He worked with Crowder last year and had a bigger and bigger role on the show, and they became close personal friends. Then Owen flipped out in late 2018, ranting on his own livestreams about the Jews controlling the global economy and how we faked the moon landing. Owen wasn't joking, either. He was seriously making these points.

Crowder then tried to quietly back away from Owen, who had risen to become head writer for the show. Conveniently, the show was on a 2-month hiatus when this all went down, so he tried to simply severely cut down his contact with Owen, and hoped they could just go on without him. Of course this didn't work, as Owen got enraged when the show started up again and he wasn't part of it, nor was he informed that he wouldn't be part of it. Owen then did a video trashing Glenn Beck, but held back about Crowder. Owen was more saying that Crowder hurt him, and told some lol anecdotes about his time with the show, but stopped short of revealing any juicy details.

In Crowder's defense, Owen is an unstable nut and I don't blame him for wanting to back away.

Well, Owen finally tiled his face off yesterday during another livestream, and started revealing a bunch of shit, after first saying he wouldn't. Among other things, Owen claimed that former show personality Sven Computer was owed tens of thousands by Crowder, who supposedly refused to pay him, resulting in Sven's firing from the show. Owen also revealed that "Not Gay Jared", the #2 in command at Crowder's show, didn't really leave to go take care of his soon-to-be-born child, but in reality left because of issues with Crowder. Basically Owen confirmed that the 4 people who left in August (Sven, Jared, Aaron the Intern, and Edward the Sound Guy) were all fucked over in some way by Crowder, and that their very close departures were not a coincidence.

Owen also claimed that Crowder's "live" shows are not really live, and that this was a big secret people weren't supposed to know.

Crowder suffers from anxiety and depression issues, so I can imagine that all of this has to be driving him insane.

Owen did concede that Crowder is "incredibly talented" -- something I also noticed.

I do think that Crowder is probably difficult to work with, but he really does do the best conservative show. It also helps that he and I share the same fascination with '80s pop culture, though his makes less sense because he was born in 1987.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    mumbles, Crowder is like Joey Gladstone levels of edge, you can't honestly believe Youtube would be better website for purging dorks like Crowder unless you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. watch 10 minutes of any Crowder video, he's noticeably less controversial than mainstream talking heads like Tucker Carlson or Rachel Maddow.

I don't give a fuck about twitter because I don't use it. I don't want to see Youtube get ruined because it's probably my favorite website, Instead of rooting for a great website to be ruined by pussies, why don't you just download Youtube Kids to your chromebook and I promise you won't be exposed to anything you don't like

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  8.5 KB

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe View Post
    mumbles, Crowder is like Joey Gladstone levels of edge, you can't honestly believe Youtube would be better website for purging dorks like Crowder unless you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. watch 10 minutes of any Crowder video, he's noticeably less controversial than mainstream talking heads like Tucker Carlson or Rachel Maddow.

I don't give a fuck about twitter because I don't use it. I don't want to see Youtube get ruined because it's probably my favorite website, Instead of rooting for a great website to be ruined by pussies, why don't you just download Youtube Kids to your chromebook and I promise you won't be exposed to anything you don't like

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  8.5 KB
    YouTube could decide to demonetize his channel. Then mysteriously “lose” his subscribers. And then adjust their algorithm to make his videos difficult to find. Problem solved!
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I want to answer a few points raised here by both Mumbles and BCR, which I feel merit some discussion.

Mumbles seems to be saying that Crowder can simply "be offensive on his own website" (or, alternatively, the BlazeTV website), but that's not being realistic.

YouTube is, unfortunately, a virtual monopoly. While there are other video sites out there, and while you are free to host video on your own website, YouTube has become such a giant that nearly everyone goes there for their video content.

If you want to watch a video about something in 2019, what do you typically do? You open YouTube, bring up the search bar, and type in what you're looking for. Then you click on what appears to be the best result.

If Crowder is kicked off YouTube, he will lose the major platform where he both finds and maintains almost all of his viewers. Sure, the diehard fans will follow him over to his own website or to BlazeTV, but the number of eyeballs on his material will dramatically decrease.

It's not just Crowder.

Force any YouTube star off the site, tell them to strike out on their own, and they will be financially devastated.

This is where the issue of censorship of conservative media comes in. Since YouTube has become the single place most people check for video content online, they potentially wield a tremendous amount of public power/influence. If they are mostly censorship-free, then everything is fine. However, let's pretend YouTube exercised its "right" as a private company to remove all conservative political content on the service. Now people searching for "Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez" would find nothing but positive pieces on her, and the political thought on the platform would be completely one-sided. While a little bit different, this situation would be as bad as an oppressive, state-run media. The people should always have easy access to opposing forms of political view.

For the moment, YouTube isn't banning all conservative content (hence why Crowder is still there), but they are slowly finding excuses to get rid of it. First they've gone after the more obvious, super-controversial ones, but the fear is that they will slowly clamp down upon all of them, using excuses like "hate speech" (a concept which is extremely broad) to get it done.

While admittedly Crowder has exploited the "omg omg YouTube gonna delete this channel" panic for sales to CRTV/Blaze and his Mug Club, he wasn't fabricating it, either. He did realize that there was a realistic possibility that YouTube would kill his channel someday, and this situation might end up being it.

He actually traded a percentage of his company (not sure how much) to an attorney ("half Asian lawyer Bill Richmond"), in exchange for as-needed legal work. It was actually smart, as he's needed Richmond to defend various frivolous legal claims against him by angry subjects of his videos (especially his parody material), as well as the various YouTube strikes he keeps getting. YouTube seems to respect communications from lawyers more than they do from non-lawyers, so Richmond has been very effective so far. It also helps that Richmond has a fairly good broadcast presence and enjoys being part of the show, so everyone is benefiting there.

Anyway, bottom line is that YouTube should NOT delete Crowder's channel for this reason. It would be one thing if Crowder was just picking on some random gay guy and bullying him via the show, but Carlos Maza has knowingly made a career of being a public figure saying controversial and provocative things. He can't throw himself into that lion's den, make a bunch of money from it, and then cry foul that some YouTube host is calling him names. Come on.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Regarding what BCR said, yes, Crowder does put a lot of forethought and work into his show. Most things are written out with a team of people, and then broadcast "live" (which Owen Benjamin recently revealed was NOT live).

Crowder is actually really good at ad-libbing funny quips and responses, as evidenced by some of his (actual) live performances I've watched.

But yes, he did say things like "lispy queer" because he felt it would play well with his audience.

However, that doesn't really change my point about any of this.

If Maza wanted to shame Crowder for talking about him that way, then fine. Maza has a nice platform himself with tons of views (both on Vox and Twitter), so he definitely has the ability to do so. In fact, that's exactly what he did.

I'm fine with that part. Where I'm not fine is how he sent it into the direction of attacking YouTube for not censoring Crowder and others like him. He also threw in, "I guess I could suggest you flag his videos, but that won't really help because there will be others...", which of course was actually a call for people to flag Crowder's videos.

So Maza went from, "This Crowder guy keeps making homophobic slurs against me and I'm tired of it" to "Forget just Crowder. Let's pressure YouTube into deleting the channels of Crowder and anyone else like him."

Load Metric
    I want to answer a few points raised here by both Mumbles and BCR, which I feel merit some discussion.

Mumbles seems to be saying that Crowder can simply "be offensive on his own website" (or, alternatively, the BlazeTV website), but that's not being realistic.

YouTube is, unfortunately, a virtual monopoly. While there are other video sites out there, and while you are free to host video on your own website, YouTube has become such a giant that nearly everyone goes there for their video content.

If you want to watch a video about something in 2019, what do you typically do? You open YouTube, bring up the search bar, and type in what you're looking for. Then you click on what appears to be the best result.

If Crowder is kicked off YouTube, he will lose the major platform where he both finds and maintains almost all of his viewers. Sure, the diehard fans will follow him over to his own website or to BlazeTV, but the number of eyeballs on his material will dramatically decrease.

It's not just Crowder.

Force any YouTube star off the site, tell them to strike out on their own, and they will be financially devastated.

This is where the issue of censorship of conservative media comes in. Since YouTube has become the single place most people check for video content online, they potentially wield a tremendous amount of public power/influence. If they are mostly censorship-free, then everything is fine. However, let's pretend YouTube exercised its "right" as a private company to remove all conservative political content on the channel. Now people searching for "Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez" would find nothing but positive pieces on her, and the political thought on the platform would be completely one-sided. While a little bit different, this situation would be as bad as an oppressive, state-run media. The people should always have easy access to opposing forms of political view.

For the moment, YouTube isn't banning all conservative content (hence why Crowder is still there), but they are slowly finding excuses to get rid of it. First they've gone after the more obvious, super-controversial ones, but the fear is that they will slowly clamp down upon all of them, using excuses like "hate speech" (a concept which is extremely broad) to get it done.

While admittedly Crowder has exploited the "omg omg YouTube gonna delete this channel" panic for sales to CRTV/Blaze and his Mug Club, he wasn't fabricating it, either. He did realize that there was a realistic possibility that YouTube would kill his channel someday, and this situation might end up being it.

He actually traded a percentage of his company (not sure how much) to an attorney ("half Asian lawyer Bill Richmond"), in exchange for as-needed legal work. It was actually smart, as he's needed Richmond to defend various frivolous legal claims against him by angry subjects of his videos (especially his parody material), as well as the various YouTube strikes he keeps getting. YouTube seems to respect communications from lawyers more than they do from non-lawyers, so Richmond has been very effective so far. It also helps that Richmond has a fairly good broadcast presence and enjoys being part of the show, so everyone is benefiting there.

Anyway, bottom line is that YouTube should NOT delete Crowder's channel for this reason. It would be one thing if Crowder was just picking on some random gay guy and bullying him via the show, but Carlos Maza has knowingly made a career of being a public figure saying controversial and provocative things. He can't throw himself into that lion's den, make a bunch of money from it, and then cry foul that some YouTube host is calling him names. Come on.

so because youtube are good at their job, they have to host hate-speech?

perhaps you can explain to them how a free market economy works so they can run their site at a slight loss.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    No, YouTube isn't just "good at their job".

They're now a monopoly and control almost all of the video content on the internet.

If you don't think that comes without some inherent responsibility to allow political content from both sides, and not to look for excuses to remove the side you dislike, then I don't know what to tell you.

I can tell you that it would upset me just as much if YouTube were removing or thwarting content from the left.

Load Metric
    anyone can go out and create their own media platform.

even conservatives.

there is literally nothing stopping you but a lack of vision, talent, and initiative and oh yeah the fact that spouting offensive trash is pretty much your theme song at this point so no one wants to party with you.

go hit up palmer luckey for some vc and build a better mouse trap, prove me wrong.

or respect the house rules.

when the left starts driving cars into protesters or gathering in the streets of charleston chanting 'the jews will not replace us', i'm sure it will go badly for them as well.

but until then maybe quit your bitching?

because this pity party about conservatives 'right' to act like mean spirited retards is embarrassing, you're lucky you're still allowed on AM talk radio at this point. be happy with that, i suggest.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    anyone can go out and create their own media platform.

even conservatives.

there is literally nothing stopping you but a lack of vision, talent, and initiative and oh yeah the fact that spouting offensive trash is pretty much your theme song at this point so no one wants to party with you.

go hit up palmer luckey for some vc and build a better mouse trap, prove me wrong.

or respect the house rules.

when the left starts driving cars into protesters or gathering in the streets of charleston chanting 'the jews will not replace us', i'm sure it will go badly for them as well.

but until then maybe quit your bitching?

because this pity party about conservatives 'right' to act like mean spirited retards is embarrassing, you're lucky you're still allowed on AM talk radio at this point. be happy with that, i suggest.
    Come on bro, the "anyone can create XXX to compete with the current monopoly" argument was played out long before you were born.

YouTube is so huge and established at this point that it would be a massive, if not impossible, undertaking to create a legitimate alternative at this point. With a high risk of failure and loss of all capital.

Pretty disturbing that you're advocating modern day ideological censorship on our current form of mass media.

Is this what the left has become?

Conservatives are "dangerous" and "hateful" and thus shouldn't be allowed to be heard?

You do realize that one of the main ingredients to full-blown fascism involves silencing the political opposition and justifying it as preventing "dangerous speech", right?

Is that something you really think we should be getting into in the US?

Load Metric
    bruh house rules.

period.

the house determines whats good for the game, and you know this.

hiding behind the first amendment but tarting it up by tossing in words like ideology doesnt work. if seat 9 starts lecturing you on how the holocaust never happened while you're tanking, he's getting 86'd all day.

youtube has a brand to protect, it has investors, it answers to people.

if you fuck with its bottom line, you're 86'd. trotting out words like 'ideological censorship' is intellectually bankrupt. calling a gay man a lisping queen isnt acceptable, society has spoken. you want to hear more of crowders schtick?

cool, get him on your show.

Load Metric
    interestingly, elizabeth warren is big on breaking up facebook, twitter, etc

Load Metric
    also if youre aligning yourself politically with people who verbally harass homosexuals, there are bigger problems in your life than fascism.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    or not interestingly. either way

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post

its basically a ban-the-plastic-straws caliber feint and is essentially meaningless boomer-speak for we're scared and we cant control this so but we better not show our hand.

Load Metric
    It’s politics as a genre of entertainment that really is another sign that marks the decline of western civilization.

Tough luck. That’s show biz.

I just saw Rocketman. Just another reminder how far we’ve come with respect to tolerance and hopefully acceptance in the span of a generation.

Crowder deserves a tough road.

Sonatine is in the zone. It’s good to see the old guy can still summon the skills that made him a god in his prime.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 06-02-2019 at 05:45 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    bruh house rules.

period.

the house determines whats good for the game, and you know this.

hiding behind the first amendment but tarting it up by tossing in words like ideology doesnt work. if seat 9 starts lecturing you on how the holocaust never happened while you're tanking, he's getting 86'd all day.

youtube has a brand to protect, it has investors, it answers to people.

if you fuck with its bottom line, you're 86'd. trotting out words like 'ideological censorship' is intellectually bankrupt. calling a gay man a lisping queen isnt acceptable, society has spoken. you want to hear more of crowders schtick?

cool, get him on your show.
    Since when have you been on the "businesses can do what they want for their bottom line and we shouldn't ever interfere with that for the good of the people" train?

This isn't about first amendment. At least not yet.

This is about whether YouTube is behaving ethically. At the moment, they aren't, but it's also not as bad as it could be.

However, you're also missing that Maza is even angrier at YouTube than Crowder. His series of tweets was less about censoring Crowder (which he also wanted) and more about creating a wave of pressure upon YouTube to censor a lot more right wing content.

YouTube makes a lot of money from the ads they run on Crowder's channel, so they're trying to avoid dealing with this. So they said they're "looking into it", and their decision will be based mainly upon how much shit Maza can stir up.

So at the moment, Maza is furious that they're still not acting.

I'm not understanding what side you're on here.

Would you be cool if YouTube ignores Maza's complaints and continues to allow Crowder to call him a lispy queer? Because that also might be the result.

Load Metric
    You could likely just use existing monopoly laws to chop Youtube in to pieces and you probably should. You do need a new batch of politicians for that. The current roster is already bought. Even the conservative ones know to keep their whore mouth shut about any actual solutions.

Oh and if you use a full minute to think about the logistics of Youtube enforcing any kinda ideological balance, you should see how retarded that is. What's the split between parties, what counts as ideological, who gets to play, why do we give a shit about the US politics on a international platform, is everyone China now and few thousand other questions you'd have to answer.

Thread Information