Thread: Daniel Negreanu's sales of WSOP pieces at zero markup ends in disaster

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    While this wasn't an intentional gaffe by Daniel, it's amazing to me that he put this whole package together so haphazardly.

Looks like he trusted some third-party fail company to do the processing, they screwed up when it hit capacity, and he accidentally way oversold.

I don't see why he doesn't just prorate everyone's piece to some percentage of what they bought, and then kick back the remainder to each person.

Instead, he's just completely shutting out and refunding those who bought it after his max was reached.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    $60k in fees is a joke, too.

That's 3% of the $1.8m they took in.

Surely there was a better way to do this without giving up $60k in processing fees and utilizing a fail company which couldn't handle the capacity.

Load Metric
    Yeah the whole thing was a huge mess. Of course I tried to buy some of each package because it seemed like a good value. I was able to get one purchase in at 12:01 PT but ended up getting all the purchases, including that one, refunded. Just ended up being a huge waste of time.

I agree the most fair thing to do would have been to lower the max purchase amount and do some sort of pro-rating to allow more people to get pieces. But as big of a nightmare it must have been to do the refunds manually, it probably would have been 10x as hard to do the pro-rating and partial refunds.

I don't think the 3% in fees was too crazy, since they were only doing credit card transactions. I think a standard Visa/Mastercard processing fee to the merchant is like 2.2-2.7% plus a small per transaction amount like $0.10, depending on what kind of deal you have. Then again, they probably could have used other payment methods that would have had lower fees.

I wonder how many people bought, or tried to buy pieces, that really can't afford them and just figured they were certain to win...and if they didn't they were going to have to find a way out of paying the credit card bill.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Oh I forgot it was credit card only. Again, fail.

They should allow it as an option, but why isn't there some fee-free EFT or Zelle way to do this?

Looks like there was little thought put into setting up the whole thing.

Just think about it... even if he sold $275k as intended, well over $8k in fees would have been collectively paid. Terrible.

Load Metric
    Shoulda called Khalwat

Silver
    Load Metric
    Another opportunity to use crypto and basically have zero fees.

Also would of fixed the capacity problem as I'm guessing a fraction of the people that shipped the 1.8 million had crypto on hand.

I am not faggy for crypto, just see obvious use cases like this completely ignored. Makes no sense.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    http://www.miraclecovers.com

"Donk down, that’s what you say to someone after they have lost 28K straight?" - Phil Hellmuth, online

Thread Information