Thread: Chernobyl

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Load Metric

Chernobyl

Amazing wtf no wonder there is so much cancer nowadays.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Diamond
    Load Metric
    300x better than GOT

Load Metric
    Are we talking about the HBO series? Been thinking about watching it.

Load Metric
    its brilliant, especially as I was there earlier this year it's really piqued my interest

Silver
    Load Metric
    Co-sign. Has been really good thus far.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Agree, its pretty good so far. Learned a few things I never knew after all these years.

One thing i never really knew before is how close they were to pretty much destroying half of the planet if the material reached the water

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by splitthis View Post

This is actually something I ponder from time to time myself. Its not something I enjoy thinking about, but it's there and it certainly won't go away.

The chilling matter though is that IF there is a direct correlation between this planets nuclear incidents, detonations, etc such as the one you mention (which I would bet there is) to cancer statistics and other related diseases, the Chernobyl incident is likely merely a drop in the bucket. Especially on our continent, when compared to the big picture of the nuclear age, there is much much more that has transpired over time.

Some people, even at the present day, don't even realize how many nuclear detonations there have really been since Trinity.
    Some think we have simply had a handful of nukes (not including Horishima and Nagasaki) tested since then. The reality is that there have been over 2000 across the planet.

Here is a video that puts together month by month of all of the known detonations on this planet since the dawn of the nuclear age:

Comments

Tellafriend: scary stuff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post

This is actually something I ponder from time to time myself. Its not something I enjoy thinking about, but it's there and it certainly won't go away.

The chilling matter though is that IF there is a direct correlation between this planets nuclear incidents, detonations, etc such as the one you mention (which I would bet there is) to cancer statistics and other related diseases, the Chernobyl incident is likely merely a drop in the bucket. Especially on our continent, when compared to the big picture of the nuclear age, there is much much more that has transpired over time.

Some people, even at the present day, don't even realize how many nuclear detonations there have really been since Trinity.
    Some think we have simply had a handful of nukes (not including Horishima and Nagasaki) tested since then. The reality is that there have been over 2000 across the planet.

Here is a video that puts together month by month of all of the known detonations on this planet since the dawn of the nuclear age:

most of the early nukes had low yields and used fissile material with a low half life. thats why people can live in hiroshima / nagasaki today.

the later tests are where things get... complicated.

Comments

Gordman: Correct, I didnt mention this but i guess I didnt want to necessarily distract from the core of what i was mentioning that many might not already know

Kuntmissioner: early nuke kindnesses
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Platinum
    Load Metric
    happened upon this a few weeks ago...thought it was pretty decent...

Diamond
    Load Metric
    interesting that the main character so far "killed himself" the day before he was supposed to testify 2 years after the accident so not a completely true story I guess

Load Metric
    Despite the great hype of the fear of cancers caused by nukes and nuclear materials, the vast majority of anthropogenic cancers are caused by exposure to non-nuclear materials, such as due to smoking, carcinogenic ingredients in food stuffs, industrial and internal combustion pollutants, etc.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Despite the great hype of the fear of cancers caused by nukes and nuclear materials, the vast majority of anthropogenic cancers are caused by exposure to non-nuclear materials, such as due to smoking, carcinogenic ingredients in food stuffs, industrial and internal combustion pollutants, etc.
    thanks verminaard

Comments

sonatine: absolutely flawless.

MumblesBadly: You’re welcome!

Load Metric
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    At Chernobyl, Hints of Nature’s Adaptation
    https://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/06/s...chernobyl.html

Dr. Mousseau, a biologist at the University of South Carolina, has been coming to the contaminated area around Chernobyl, known as the exclusion zone, since 1999. The list of creatures he has studied is long: chiffchaffs, blackcaps, barn swallows and other birds; insects, including bumblebees, butterflies and cicadas; spiders and bats; and mice, voles and other small rodents. After the nuclear meltdowns at Fukushima, Japan, three years ago he has conducted similar research there, too.

In dozens of papers over the years Dr. Mousseau, his longtime collaborator, Anders Pape Moller of the National Center for Scientific Research in France, and colleagues have reported evidence of radiation’s toll: higher frequencies of tumors and physical abnormalities like deformed beaks among birds compared with those from uncontaminated areas, for example, and a decline in the populations of insects and spiders with increasing radiation intensity.

But their most recent findings, published last month, showed something new. Some bird species, they reported in the journal Functional Ecology, appear to have adapted to the radioactive environment by producing higher levels of protective antioxidants, with correspondingly less genetic damage. For these birds, Dr. Mousseau said, chronic exposure to radiation appears to be a kind of “unnatural selection” driving evolutionary change.
    Name:  97A4EE08-FEE2-48D2-B0EE-4FBD02541F8E.jpeg
Views: 217
Size:  90.2 KB
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Wondering when the Russian government will do a mini-series about this collection of Soviet nuclear stupidity, blaming the CIA for all the deaths and contamination.

Load Metric

Thread Information